The Official Samsung PNxxC6500, PNxxC7000, and PNxxC8000 Owner's Discussion Thread - Page 208 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #6211 of 7930 Old 01-07-2011, 09:37 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by hannah1997 View Post

No it wasn't, it was Mchael Osadciw from The Highest Fidelity, he was great and would I highly recommed him, outstandinging attidude and knows his stuff.................

my apologies, when you said tom i thought you were referring to tom huffman

PSN ID - MikeyRaw8
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6212 of 7930 Old 01-07-2011, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burntgnat View Post
I have read there are significant buzzing and halo issues with this set. Has this been corrected by manufacturing/firmware updates...or does this continue to be an issue? Thank you for your replies.
Buzzing I wouldn't worry about especially since you're getting it local. Have them uncrate it, turn it on and LISTEN to it. If no buzz you're good to go. They dont all buzz. It just depends on the particular one you get. As far as the haloing stuff, that's from the Motion Judder Canceller being ON. Turn it off on a plasma at least and you will never see a halo again. And no, Samsung hasn't yet fixed the MJC in the latest firmware release. Personally with a plasma there is no need for it IMO... With LCD it may be more of an issue.
post #6213 of 7930 Old 01-07-2011, 11:43 AM

Trying to do as much prep work as possible for wall-mounting my PN58C7000 before it arrives tomorrow. Would appreciate if anyone could post the length of the factory power cord (the exposed length from where it exits the back to the plug). I'm guesing it's the same on all the 58-inchers. so anyone with a 6500, 7000, or 8000 could chime in. Thanks in advance!

PS: could also use the widest dimension of the power plug itself so I know if the hole in my wall is large enough.
post #6214 of 7930 Old 01-07-2011, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyraw View Post
my apologies, when you said tom i thought you were referring to tom huffman
No Need to say your sorry, I didn't mean to offend anyone by putting his name in Bold, it was just that he was that good and only trying to bring a little attention to his name, wasn't yelling at you..hahahaha, Happy New Yr.
post #6215 of 7930 Old 01-07-2011, 12:04 PM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by thghgv View Post
Buzzing I wouldn't worry about especially since you're getting it local. Have them uncrate it, turn it on and LISTEN to it. If no buzz you're good to go. They dont all buzz. It just depends on the particular one you get. As far as the haloing stuff, that's from the Motion Judder Canceller being ON. Turn it off on a plasma at least and you will never see a halo again. And no, Samsung hasn't yet fixed the MJC in the latest firmware release. Personally with a plasma there is no need for it IMO... With LCD it may be more of an issue.
thats not a good way to check for buzz, buzzing is not 24/7, it happens at random. My TV didnt start buzzing until the next day, it wasnt that bad at first but after a month I have gotten to know that it can either be really loud or really quiet. It is also directional and it can be difficult to pinpoint the spot where the buzz is going to be heard, for me it comes straight out from the lower right side of the screen, which unfortunately is exactly where I sit, I have tried moving it as much as I can but my living room is odd shaped and I cant rearrange it to the point I would be out of the buzz zone.
post #6216 of 7930 Old 01-07-2011, 12:10 PM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKOSullivan
@theanimala:

Where did you find the bundle for $2,389? I'm thinking about buying the 63c7000 myself, and that's better than any other deal I've seen.
It was at us appliance.com. They are low in stock so you have to call it in. I was about to buy it when I went to a local dealer in the ny/nj area and struck up a deal on the 63c8000 for $2,429 plus $49 shipping plus tax, new in box with player and 3d kit. Just ordered it, will be delivered next week. I did really want the 65vt25, but I can't justify dropping more an $1,000, especially when the 63c8000 just looks so damn nice!
post #6217 of 7930 Old 01-07-2011, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by idividebyzero View Post
thats not a good way to check for buzz, buzzing is not 24/7, it happens at random. My TV didnt start buzzing until the next day, it wasnt that bad at first but after a month I have gotten to know that it can either be really loud or really quiet. It is also directional and it can be difficult to pinpoint the spot where the buzz is going to be heard, for me it comes straight out from the lower right side of the screen, which unfortunately is exactly where I sit, I have tried moving it as much as I can but my living room is odd shaped and I cant rearrange it to the point I would be out of the buzz zone.
The buzz is most intense when the center of the screen is at eye level and you are seated in the center (ears dead center of the screen). The darker the image being displayed the louder the buzz, I watch a lot of hockey and due to the white ice surface this produces the softest buzz (but still present). This is most likely why people say that the buzz comes and goes (varying content).

Viewing from off angle (either to the side or with the TV above eye/ear level) will drastically reduce the buzz to the point where you will have to strain to hear it.

Still a Fantastic TV and I wouldn't trade it.

Proud PN58C7000 Owner
post #6218 of 7930 Old 01-07-2011, 03:33 PM

With all the people that have received cracked screens, can someone comment on their thoughts of the quality of constuction of the TV? Are the cracked screens just from bad handling, or are these actually kind of flimsy?

I have a 63C7000 that will hopefully be delivered Monday. I am obviously hoping mine arrives intact.

The thing is I am going to be moving in the next 6 months, or so and I am concerned about the TV making it through the move. Should I be? I plan to reuse the original packaging. Can someone comment on how the box is opened and if in the process if the materials are compromised to where they wouldn't be usefully reusable?

Thanks!
post #6219 of 7930 Old 01-07-2011, 03:58 PM

Is there any way to program the scrolling screen saver to a button on the remote? It's really annoying to have to go through menus every time to use it.
post #6220 of 7930 Old 01-07-2011, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skleiner View Post

The buzz is most intense when the center of the screen is at eye level and you are seated in the center (ears dead center of the screen). The darker the image being displayed the louder the buzz, I watch a lot of hockey and due to the white ice surface this produces the softest buzz (but still present). This is most likely why people say that the buzz comes and goes (varying content).

Viewing from off angle (either to the side or with the TV above eye/ear level) will drastically reduce the buzz to the point where you will have to strain to hear it.

Still a Fantastic TV and I wouldn't trade it.

Proud PN58C7000 Owner

Same here. If i sit dead center i can hear it even from 13 feet away. If i move about 15 degree to each side, the buzz is gone - can't hear anything. Wonder if i should call for a replacement, or just live with it. I read to many posts with the same exact problem, so i have the feeling that the next panel will have the same buzz.
post #6221 of 7930 Old 01-07-2011, 07:50 PM

Hello everyone. I will be buying 2011 models. I am just wondering how IR is with these Sammy sets. I have experienced no issues with my G10. Do Sammys do well with IR? Thanks.
post #6222 of 7930 Old 01-07-2011, 08:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by XxHoosierdaddy View Post

Hello everyone. I will be buying 2011 models. I am just wondering how IR is with these Sammy sets. I have experienced no issues with my G10. Do Sammys do well with IR? Thanks.

No problem with mine (PN638000). I didn't run slides or any of that 100 hour stuff either and I played games on it from day one. I've seen black ghost images on a black screen before but they went away so quick that I never gave it a second thought. Best set I ever owned and my previous set was a professionally calibrated Sony 60XBR2 which did not wind up with the green glob problem. There are settings in the menu that address IR.
post #6223 of 7930 Old 01-07-2011, 08:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Hey folks,

I'm strongly considering the PN63C7000, but am concerned about one issue:

Support for 1080p24 displayed without odd:even pulldown (i.e. displayed at 96Hz with 4:4 or 72Hz at 3:3, not using 3:2 at 60Hz)

The Cinema Smooth function is related to this capability, and I know I can enable CS by futzing with the Service Menu to trick the TV into thinking it is a 8000 series.

I have read in this (very large!) thread that the 7000 takes 24p content and does a 3:2 pulldown and displays at 60Hz. Is this an accurate statement? Can the 7000 display 1080p24 content at native (or proper multiple of) framerate? I'm not interested in the frame interpolation most associated with CS (I'm not a fan of that soap opera effect), just straight-up repeat frames.

What does the 8000 series do with 24p content with CS off? Does it display properly without 3:2 pulldown?

I thought we battled all this stuff out years ago, and all "good" TVs displayed 24p content at an appropriate multiple to preserve the look of film...

Thanks for any info you can supply,

shinksma

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my captors.
post #6224 of 7930 Old 01-08-2011, 06:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shinksma View Post

Hey folks,

I'm strongly considering the PN63C7000, but am concerned about one issue:

Support for 1080p24 displayed without odd:even pulldown (i.e. displayed at 96Hz with 4:4 or 72Hz at 3:3, not using 3:2 at 60Hz)

The Cinema Smooth function is related to this capability, and I know I can enable CS by futzing with the Service Menu to trick the TV into thinking it is a 8000 series.

I have read in this (very large!) thread that the 7000 takes 24p content and does a 3:2 pulldown and displays at 60Hz. Is this an accurate statement? Can the 7000 display 1080p24 content at native (or proper multiple of) framerate? I'm not interested in the frame interpolation most associated with CS (I'm not a fan of that soap opera effect), just straight-up repeat frames.

What does the 8000 series do with 24p content with CS off? Does it display properly without 3:2 pulldown?

I thought we battled all this stuff out years ago, and all "good" TVs displayed 24p content at an appropriate multiple to preserve the look of film...

Thanks for any info you can supply,

shinksma

According to the CNET review, the 7000 cannot properly handle 24p, only the 8000 can (albeit with some black loss). I don't know if this site allows other URL postings but if you google "cnet pn50c7000", the first result will be the one I'm referring to.

http://reviews.cnet.com/flat-panel-t...EnaMYTeAQoT6Vw
post #6225 of 7930 Old 01-09-2011, 05:49 AM

As I suspected, the power cord on our 7000 is too short for our particular installation. Wondering if anyone that has replaced their cord with a longer one can share their advice/experience, like did you make the cord or find one online somewhere? I also would like to know about the power cord connection inside the back of the TV -- can it simply be disconnected or does it need to be 'unwired' in some fashion? Thanks.
post #6226 of 7930 Old 01-09-2011, 06:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AncientAge View Post

As I suspected, the power cord on our 7000 is too short for our particular installation. Wondering if anyone that has replaced their cord with a longer one can share their advice/experience, like did you make the cord or find one online somewhere? I also would like to know about the power cord connection inside the back of the TV -- can it simply be disconnected or does it need to be 'unwired' in some fashion? Thanks.

I read somewhere that the power cord can in fact be replaced. I would also like to replace my power cord with a longer one.
post #6227 of 7930 Old 01-09-2011, 09:58 AM

So far I've been loving my tv, upgraded to 1032 firmware and no blinking yet about 8 hours in. Also only a very small amount of buzzing which seems normal to me for most tvs.

Only thing thats been bothering me is I left ESPNHD on for about an hour and I noticed the ESPN logo on the bottom right still showed up when a black screen came on. It took awhile for it to come off to scared me for awhile there. But then I started to see how easy it is to get a picture stuck. Keep in mind im using 50 brightness and 50 contrast in movie mode for break in so im not in dynamic or vivid settings. But basically I put on a movie title screen where it has a play scene or audio box on the bottom that stays still and I can leave it on there for only about 10 seconds and then go back to my ps3 black screen and if i'm close to the tv I can still see the box outline and even read play and so forth. Its so bad that the blue warning letters in the beginning of the bluray can still be seen and thats after I spent 10 seconds on the main screen. It goes away kind of quickly but still is this normal? Like seriously 10 seconds and image gets stuck isnt that a little ridiculous?

Is something wrong with my tv, or is this kind of image retention normal?

Another thing I noticed was that when I switch sources and that black screen comes on for a second I can see everything that was on the last visible image in the background if i was close enough to the tv, though this didnt worry me since it was just when switching hdmis or turning on the ps3 and disappeared once any image came on and ive seen it before on my 40 inch lcd.
post #6228 of 7930 Old 01-09-2011, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnpr View Post

I read somewhere that the power cord can in fact be replaced. I would also like to replace my power cord with a longer one.

No screwdriver? Skittish?

It uses a nylon connector that uses push-in pins. You'd have to identify the connector, get one, and crimp pins to the new cord.
post #6229 of 7930 Old 01-09-2011, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpinho View Post

So far I've been loving my tv, upgraded to 1032 firmware and no blinking yet about 8 hours in. Also only a very small amount of buzzing which seems normal to me for most tvs.

Only thing thats been bothering me is I left ESPNHD on for about an hour and I noticed the ESPN logo on the bottom right still showed up when a black screen came on. It took awhile for it to come off to scared me for awhile there. But then I started to see how easy it is to get a picture stuck. Keep in mind im using 50 brightness and 50 contrast in movie mode for break in so im not in dynamic or vivid settings. But basically I put on a movie title screen where it has a play scene or audio box on the bottom that stays still and I can leave it on there for only about 10 seconds and then go back to my ps3 black screen and if i'm close to the tv I can still see the box outline and even read play and so forth. Its so bad that the blue warning letters in the beginning of the bluray can still be seen and thats after I spent 10 seconds on the main screen. It goes away kind of quickly but still is this normal? Like seriously 10 seconds and image gets stuck isnt that a little ridiculous?

Is something wrong with my tv, or is this kind of image retention normal?

Another thing I noticed was that when I switch sources and that black screen comes on for a second I can see everything that was on the last visible image in the background if i was close enough to the tv, though this didnt worry me since it was just when switching hdmis or turning on the ps3 and disappeared once any image came on and ive seen it before on my 40 inch lcd.

the vt25 was even worse
post #6230 of 7930 Old 01-09-2011, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rilenixx View Post

the vt25 was even worse

Is it really? Does it get to the point where you can start seeing it even when watching a movie or playin a game? Like not just when its a still white or dark image? So far vie only really noticed it when I have a still dark image and it goes away after a bit but If I played like FIFA for example for 3 hours would the score board get so stuck I can see it on reg broadcast material? Or if I watched espn like all night which I do a lot of when playing on pc will it get stuck there?
post #6231 of 7930 Old 01-09-2011, 02:15 PM

Waiting for delivery of my 63C7000 either tomorrow or Tuesday and my DirecTV HDDVR just bit the dust. What timing!!!
post #6232 of 7930 Old 01-09-2011, 02:54 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:

Is it really? Does it get to the point where you can start seeing it even when watching a movie or playin a game? Like not just when its a still white or dark image? So far vie only really noticed it when I have a still dark image and it goes away after a bit but If I played like FIFA for example for 3 hours would the score board get so stuck I can see it on reg broadcast material? Or if I watched espn like all night which I do a lot of when playing on pc will it get stuck there?

I would guess I have about 600+hrs on my 58C8000. I also did a 200hr break in period with slides and full screen content. I have many 4+hr gaming sessions, with no issues. (with pixel shift off, I play with "screen fit" aspect.) Also I would look real close for IR when I first got the TV, and I was real stressed. Now, I don't even worry about it, I treat it like my LCD.

Side note, each display might act different. I had an open box 50B860 for about a week, and it had a lot more IR than my C8000. I tried the YouTube app for about 15min on the B860, and had "YouTube" IR for like 4 days straight, even after running the scroll bar. If you still have bad IR after about the 300hr mark, I might start to worry.
post #6233 of 7930 Old 01-09-2011, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnpr View Post

Do you know where you can get them?

post #6234 of 7930 Old 01-10-2011, 04:21 AM

Quote:
put it this way. im a gamer along with my son. we break in plasmas for the first 200 hours but we play games with huds on them. we just keep our games to ten minutes or less. this works fine. i never have any ir on the sammy. but the vt25 was alot worse in my opinion. if you played fifa for 3 hours on the vt25 i believe it would be retained. i had the vt25 for 4 weeks and had ir all over the place in normal viewing. ive had 3 pn63c8000 and have never had any. i break them all in the same way. contrast at 35, brightness at 50, sharpness at 20, and all extra featyres off. and i always have my son set up games the same way too. 3 hour gaming with a hud on constantly is pushing it i think. first person shooters huds go off and on in the matches giving the tv a break. i never played sports on my plasma. hope this helps.
post #6235 of 7930 Old 01-10-2011, 07:13 AM

Sorry if this has been asked before, but does the C7000 have the Cinema Smooth option without adjusting settings in the service menu?

From what I understand Cinema Smooth is what allows for true cinema "cadence" (a 4:4 pulldown rather than 3:2) but can only be enabled if your blu-ray player is sending a 24hz signal (rather than 60hz). However, from what I've read on this forum, the only way to get the Cinema Smooth option on the C7000 is to adjust the 7000 to an 8000 in the service menu. This is weird to me since the C7000 has Cinema Smooth listed in its features on the Samsung website.

If anyone can tell me whether the C7000 has Cinema Smooth it would be much appreciated. Thanks!
post #6236 of 7930 Old 01-10-2011, 07:41 AM

Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Double_D864
With all the people that have received cracked screens, can someone comment on their thoughts of the quality of constuction of the TV? Are the cracked screens just from bad handling, or are these actually kind of flimsy?

I have a 63C7000 that will hopefully be delivered Monday. I am obviously hoping mine arrives intact.

The thing is I am going to be moving in the next 6 months, or so and I am concerned about the TV making it through the move. Should I be? I plan to reuse the original packaging. Can someone comment on how the box is opened and if in the process if the materials are compromised to where they wouldn't be usefully reusable?

Thanks!
I had 2 broken screens shipped to my house. I thought it was bad packaging and even worse handling from the shipping company. I think you will be fine, just take some precautions as you would with anything expensive...
post #6237 of 7930 Old 01-10-2011, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKOSullivan
Sorry if this has been asked before, but does the C7000 have the Cinema Smooth option without adjusting settings in the service menu?

From what I understand Cinema Smooth is what allows for true cinema "cadence" (a 4:4 pulldown rather than 3:2) but can only be enabled if your blu-ray player is sending a 24hz signal (rather than 60hz). However, from what I've read on this forum, the only way to get the Cinema Smooth option on the C7000 is to adjust the 7000 to an 8000 in the service menu. This is weird to me since the C7000 has Cinema Smooth listed in its features on the Samsung website.

If anyone can tell me whether the C7000 has Cinema Smooth it would be much appreciated. Thanks!
No.. Service menu update only
post #6238 of 7930 Old 01-10-2011, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by walke108 View Post
I had 2 broken screens shipped to my house. I thought it was bad packaging and even worse handling from the shipping company. I think you will be fine, just take some precautions as you would with anything expensive...
I just had a broken C7000 delivered to my house last Friday. The cracks on my screen were all at the corners which is where the Styrofoam was, so I have to think that the packaging has something to do with it, though I think the ultimate cause is poor handling.

For a move I think if you use the original packaging but be careful you should be fine.
post #6239 of 7930 Old 01-10-2011, 09:06 AM

Hello, Ive been itching to pull the trigger on a PN63C8000, but with samsung recently unveiling their 2011 lineup, im afraid that if i buy the set now, it will drop in price dramatically to make room for the new sets.. Does anyone have any idea when to expect prices to start falling at the stores to make room for the 2011 lineup?
post #6240 of 7930 Old 01-10-2011, 01:25 PM

I originally bought the LG 47lx9500 at frys for 1099. Amazon had a couple great deals on Samsung plasma packages around that time if I remember correctly. I eventually returned the lx9500 because I figured I wanted the 2d to 3d conversion and I was going to use the 3d enough to want to have a plasma over an led. Since then none of the samsung plasmas have gone on sale.

The cheapest deal is the pn50c8000 for $1650 but Amazon has already had it at $1550 before. I tried looking on slickdeals' posts from last year to see when hdtvs went on sale in January but didn't really find anything.

Is the tv sales after CES and before the super bowl just a myth? Looking for an lg 50px950, Samsung pn50c7000 or Samsung pn50c8000... preferrably the 8000 but price definitely matters. I bought an Onkyo ht-rc270 about 2 weeks ago and would love to have a great plasma to put it with.

Can anyone voice their opinion on the upsides of the 8000 vs the 7000 particularly on the 1080p/24 issues and black filter.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung Pn63c8000 63 Inch 1080p 3d Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page