The Official Samsung PNxxC6500, PNxxC7000, and PNxxC8000 Owner's Discussion Thread - Page 25 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #721 of 7930 Old 04-22-2010, 03:12 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJChris View Post

Can of worms, opened.

What did this mean? It is a not-so-good exchange? Do you guys think im gonna be dissapointed when changing 52A656 -> 63C7000?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #722 of 7930 Old 04-22-2010, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cchaou View Post

What did this mean? It is a not-so-good exchange? Do you guys think im gonna be dissapointed when changing 52A656 -> 63C7000?

I mean there's always people that arent happy with a tv. Any brand, any type just about... so you will get negative comments.... Everyone is different in what they like, so it's hard to go just by what someone says they don't like. I'm hoping to have my 58c7000 soon tho.

:)
post #723 of 7930 Old 04-22-2010, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by celekter View Post

If you're expecting a 3D version of Avatar you'll be sorely disappointed.
It's planned for release in 2011.

BTW, I've had the PN50C8000 on order from a local dealer here in the SF East Bay area for 3 weeks now. Called today and he said they just got some PN58C7000's in and he might have some news for me tomorrow about my model.

Yeah, i know thats not availible yet. I could do the 2d to 3d conversion but i dont have the glasses
post #724 of 7930 Old 04-22-2010, 04:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vorhese View Post

Yeah, i know thats not availible yet. I could do the 2d to 3d conversion but i dont have the glasses

I guess you didn't get the free glasses with the 3D blu-ray player, why not?
post #725 of 7930 Old 04-22-2010, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill View Post

I guess you didn't get the free glasses with the 3D blu-ray player, why not?

I actually got this for an extremely low price because i had problems with my pn50b650. then had additional problems with the b860 they gave me in place of the b650. I dont have any extra money at this time and already have a ps3 so i dont need the 3d blu-ray player. Also, i dont want the glasses that come in the 3d starter kit. i would rather have the rechargable ones.
post #726 of 7930 Old 04-22-2010, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pantheman75 View Post

Pictures?

The first pic looks a little washed out due to the flash. I would say that the blacks are just as good as the b860. i am not really picky though black looks black to me so i dont know what others would say about it.
LL
LL
LL
post #727 of 7930 Old 04-22-2010, 06:14 PM

Quote:

The first pic looks a little washed out due to the flash. I would say that the blacks are just as good as the b860. i am not really picky though black looks black to me so i dont know what others would say about it.

what settings are you using?
post #728 of 7930 Old 04-22-2010, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aim1126 View Post

what settings are you using?

Out of the box mostly. I have the contrast turned down to about 70 but other than that everything is untouched.
post #729 of 7930 Old 04-22-2010, 06:35 PM

Quote:

Out of the box mostly. I have the contrast turned down to about 70 but other than that everything is untouched.

so youre still using dynamic mode or movie mode?
post #730 of 7930 Old 04-22-2010, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aim1126 View Post

so youre still using dynamic mode or movie mode?

Oh, using movie mode.
post #731 of 7930 Old 04-22-2010, 07:02 PM

Quote:

Oh, using movie mode.

gotcha
post #732 of 7930 Old 04-22-2010, 07:23 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Quote:

thanks for the pics. Can u take more pics with no flas in room with lights on and then pic with lights off. I am curious how the set deals with reflections.
post #733 of 7930 Old 04-22-2010, 07:24 PM

Then take one standing on your head...

post #734 of 7930 Old 04-22-2010, 08:14 PM

Hey guys

This may sound like a DUMB question, as I bought the 58C6400 already... but am I going to be safe using this TV for gaming? As in PS3 and Xbox 360 as well as Wii?

I heard burn in isnt really a problem really anymore... but would I have been better with the LEDLCD??
post #735 of 7930 Old 04-22-2010, 08:29 PM
AVS Special Member

You'll get slight IR initially, but once it's broken in, that won't even be an issue. If you notice some IR, just run the burnin protection routines.
post #736 of 7930 Old 04-22-2010, 08:31 PM

The TV i thought i had targeted was the pn63c8000. Went to BB today to look around, asked the sales person if they had a pnxxc7000 or 8000 on display that i can see. He tells me not yet. Of course I walk around and i see it sitting on a display out in the middle of the store.(gotta love the best buy guys lol ) It had a samsung demo looping on it not in 3D. I have to tell you I was so disapointed how bad it looked. I have no idea how it was set up, but man it looked so bad. Picture washed out, blacks looked grey.Tried to access the menu but it was locked for some reason. Had the sales guy get the remote still couldnt access the menu he said the samsung rep might of locked up the menu so people dont mess with the settings. But judging from what I saw there not sure why he would want to lock those settings. I was soooooooooo disapointed. Went back to look at the Panny VT20 i had him put it on 2d and i have to tell that picture looked awsome. Now they also had pn58b860 on display and that tv looked great. Could the new samsung plasmas went backwards ??? I really want to know what settings that Samsung TV was on. Back to the drawing board cause now i really dont know what to get. I was gonna go with the samsung cause of the 2d to 3d conversion. But if the picture gonna be that inferior to a panny 65VT25 gonna have to sacrifice that. any feedback on what i saw today ?..I am really poed. I am hoping that tv i saw was just adjusted wrong or something was wrong with it.
post #737 of 7930 Old 04-22-2010, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rino13 View Post

Picture washed out, blacks looked grey.

I've seen several people mention the picture being washed out in the in-store demos. If you can get into the menu, make the the HDMI black level is set to low. Otherwise it can look bad. This option is only enabled with certain content though, and I've not seen any issues when its not available.
post #738 of 7930 Old 04-22-2010, 09:47 PM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rino13 View Post

The TV i thought i had targeted was the pn63c8000. Went to BB today to look around, asked the sales person if they had a pnxxc7000 or 8000 on display that i can see. He tells me not yet. Of course I walk around and i see it sitting on a display out in the middle of the store.(gotta love the best buy guys lol ) It had a samsung demo looping on it not in 3D. I have to tell you I was so disapointed how bad it looked. I have no idea how it was set up, but man it looked so bad. Picture washed out, blacks looked grey.Tried to access the menu but it was locked for some reason. Had the sales guy get the remote still couldnt access the menu he said the samsung rep might of locked up the menu so people dont mess with the settings. But judging from what I saw there not sure why he would want to lock those settings. I was soooooooooo disapointed. Went back to look at the Panny VT20 i had him put it on 2d and i have to tell that picture looked awsome. Now they also had pn58b860 on display and that tv looked great. Could the new samsung plasmas went backwards ??? I really want to know what settings that Samsung TV was on. Back to the drawing board cause now i really dont know what to get. I was gonna go with the samsung cause of the 2d to 3d conversion. But if the picture gonna be that inferior to a panny 65VT25 gonna have to sacrifice that. any feedback on what i saw today ?..I am really poed. I am hoping that tv i saw was just adjusted wrong or something was wrong with it.

I wouldn't be to swayed by what you see on the floor at Best Buy.

First, it had obviously just been set up since the sales person didn't even know they had it on the floor.

Second, the menu was locked and you have no idea how it was set up. It might have been a defective set that somebody hadn't had the time to deal with yet.

Third, the lighting in the Best Buys I've seen is hardly conducive for making critical judgments about any particular sets suitability for home viewing.

And fourth, there have been quite a few excellent reviews of these sets by folks who have them in their homes.

I think it's important for folks who seem to get upset about such things, that they slow down, take some time to wait for the sets to be out for a while, and then make an informed decision based on multiple reviews by actual owners, maybe a few reviews by professional reviewers, and multiple trips to local retailers where they can spend some time twiddling with each set to find out exactly how it responds to twiddling.

For those who just can't wait, it seems to me that we've gotten enough information at this point to make an informed guess at which set might work best for us. Buy from somebody with a good return policy and then relax, spend some time reading the downloadable .pdf manual while you wait, and then have fun when your new set arrives.

If you spend any time reading the Panasonic threads you will see that folks who have gotten those sets are reporting just as many (if not more) issues as we are seeing with the Samsung sets. Buzzing, floating blacks, rising black levels, sets not turning on....... etc.

If having the absolutely lowest black level is a deal breaker, then I suggest folks look at something other than this series of Samsung sets. All reports that I've read to this point seem to indicate that the black levels of these sets are not as low as the Panasonic sets.

I had a PN50C7000 briefly and found the picture to be gorgeous. My Blu-ray player hadn't arrived yet, so I only had a chance to check out network TV. However, I got to watch a bit of 1080i broadcast material and the level of detail was excellent, and the black levels (with a 75 watt bulb set up as bias lighting) looked fantastic.

Unfortunately the unit was defective out of the box, something having to do with the touch buttons on the TV itself being stuck, which caused it to change sources randomly, overlay the menu, and occasionally turn off.

So, I've boxed it up and am patiently waiting for a new one to arrive. I had the opportunity to get a full refund and get any other set I wanted, but after seeing how beautiful the picture was I decided I wanted this one, again.

By the way, my set was absolutely silent..... I mean no hint of a buzz even with my ear next to it. I unplugged the fridge and listened closely. It also seemed to run quite cool. The back never got even close to warm, even over the vents. I ran some setup slides and checked the screen, very uniform and no dead pixels. Oh well.

So, for those of you who are agonizing over whether these sets will be the ones to make your dreams come true....... I honestly suggest waiting and letting the dust settle before buying anything. That way you can be a bit more sure of getting exactly the set you want.

For the rest of you, I say go ahead and jump in, the water's fine...... just make sure your retailer has a good return policy for the occasional DOA.

Just my 4 cents worth .
post #739 of 7930 Old 04-22-2010, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Dean View Post

I wouldn't be to swayed by what you see on the floor at Best Buy.

First, it had obviously just been set up since the sales person didn't even know they had it on the floor.

Second, the menu was locked and you have no idea how it was set up. It might have been a defective set that somebody hadn't had the time to deal with yet.

Third, the lighting in the Best Buys I've seen is hardly conducive for making critical judgments about any particular sets suitability for home viewing.

And fourth, there have been quite a few excellent reviews of these sets by folks who have them in their homes.

I think it's important for folks who seem to get upset about such things, that they slow down, take some time to wait for the sets to be out for a while, and then make an informed decision based on multiple reviews by actual owners, maybe a few reviews by professional reviewers, and multiple trips to local retailers where they can spend some time twiddling with each set to find out exactly how it responds to twiddling.

For those who just can't wait, it seems to me that we've gotten enough information at this point to make an informed guess at which set might work best for us. Buy from somebody with a good return policy and then relax, spend some time reading the downloadable .pdf manual while you wait, and then have fun when your new set arrives.

If you spend any time reading the Panasonic threads you will see that folks who have gotten those sets are reporting just as many (if not more) issues as we are seeing with the Samsung sets. Buzzing, floating blacks, rising black levels, sets not turning on....... etc.

If having the absolutely lowest black level is a deal breaker, then I suggest folks look at something other than this series of Samsung sets. All reports that I've read to this point seem to indicate that the black levels of these sets are not as low as the Panasonic sets.

I had a PN50C7000 briefly and found the picture to be gorgeous. My Blu-ray player hadn't arrived yet, so I only had a chance to check out network TV. However, I got to watch a bit of 1080i broadcast material and the level of detail was excellent, and the black levels (with a 75 watt bulb set up as bias lighting) looked fantastic.

Unfortunately the unit was defective out of the box, something having to do with the touch buttons on the TV itself being stuck, which caused it to change sources randomly, overlay the menu, and occasionally turn off.

So, I've boxed it up and am patiently waiting for a new one to arrive. I had the opportunity to get a full refund and get any other set I wanted, but after seeing how beautiful the picture was I decided I wanted this one, again.

By the way, my set was absolutely silent..... I mean no hint of a buzz even with my ear next to it. I unplugged the fridge and listened closely. It also seemed to run quite cool. The back never got even close to warm, even over the vents. I ran some setup slides and checked the screen, very uniform and no dead pixels. Oh well.

So, for those of you who are agonizing over whether these sets will be the ones to make your dreams come true....... I honestly suggest waiting and letting the dust settle before buying anything. That way you can be a bit more sure of getting exactly the set you want.

For the rest of you, I say go ahead and jump in, the water's fine...... just make sure your retailer has a good return policy for the occasional DOA.

Just my 4 cents worth .

i usually dont make judgments on sets from looking at it on display at bb. But this tv looked so bad, worse then anything i saw in the whole store. what possible settings could make it look that bad ?? unless someone purposely messed with the settings to make it look bad or its defective . it just caught me off guard was looking forward to seeing this set and then i see that crap...lol
post #740 of 7930 Old 04-22-2010, 10:48 PM

I went to my local best buy a couple weeks ago before I received my tv from crutchfield and saw it on display and it did not look very impressive either. Didnt look at the settings but the material looked washed out. I started to second guess my buy and thought about cancelling it also but knew that it could not possibly look that bad. Anyways have had the TV for over a week and love it! Picture is awesome but am super scared to play PS3 games. Have about 50 hours of break-in time and while playing MLB The Show for about 20 minutes there was lots of IR on the screen so ran scrolling bars and went away after a couple minutes. Hope that this goes away when it gets up to 150-200 hours cause if not thats going to be a problem. Blu-ray does look freakin sweet though. Don't trust what you see at BB. The set does buzz but dont notice it at all anymore.
post #741 of 7930 Old 04-23-2010, 12:10 AM

ok guys first time I've posted pics and certainly not good at taking screen shots, here's one taken w/lights on so you can see bezel and stand, the others are obviously trying to captures screen w/lights off...amateur at best
LL
LL
LL
LL
post #742 of 7930 Old 04-23-2010, 12:19 AM

Well i finally returned the junky UN55C7000 back to amazon, although i have to wait for them to receive it, etc. to get my refund. I really want to get the PN63C7000 but i see the 58 inch 7000 and 8000 are shipping now. Does anyone have advice, like is it better to get as much screen size as you can? or is it better to get a smaller plasma but higher model (pn58c8000)? All these decisions are driving me crazy. Either way, Amazons price on the 63 will have to come down at least by a few hundred.

Grant W (Indianapolis, IN)
post #743 of 7930 Old 04-23-2010, 12:38 AM

ok attached small thumbnails from iphoto, these should be a bit better...I give up.
LL
LL
LL
post #744 of 7930 Old 04-23-2010, 01:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubsh8r View Post

ok attached small thumbnails from iphoto, these should be a bit better...I give up.

great photos ! thank you very much - this set is beatiful - Congratulations
Hope i can get mine in a few days , enjoy it.
post #745 of 7930 Old 04-23-2010, 03:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pantheman75 View Post

Did we figure out definitively whether or not the PNXXC7000 and PNXXC8000 models have the same ghosting issues as the LED / LCD Samsung models?

Bump
post #746 of 7930 Old 04-23-2010, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggreenw View Post

Well i finally returned the junky UN55C7000 back to amazon, although i have to wait for them to receive it, etc. to get my refund. I really want to get the PN63C7000 but i see the 58 inch 7000 and 8000 are shipping now. Does anyone have advice, like is it better to get as much screen size as you can? or is it better to get a smaller plasma but higher model (pn58c8000)? All these decisions are driving me crazy. Either way, Amazons price on the 63 will have to come down at least by a few hundred.

I compromised and got the 58" c7000. It's shipping now should have it next week.

The price of the 63 was too much to justify for 5 more inches, compared to the 50 to 58". I looked at other 58" in the store and liked the size. I was going to get the 50 and save $, but then I saw a 50 and 58 side by side in a store and couldn't resist the 58".

post #747 of 7930 Old 04-23-2010, 07:04 AM
Advanced Member

Has anyone purchased from plasma.com? Im just wondering if they are legit or not?

thanks
post #748 of 7930 Old 04-23-2010, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggreenw View Post

No questions about it... with 3D, the bigger, the better. Get the biggest one you can afford! There are VERY reputable vendors with free shipping and no-hassle returns / exchanges (like Abt or Crutchfield for example) that will lower their prices quite a bit if you contact them. I'm probably pulling the trigger on a PN63C8000 from Abt this weekend because they are willing to lower their price below what I can find the PN63C7000 for at other vendors They said it should be available in May. They will also offer extended service plans at competitive prices if you ask them for their best price, and it's nice to have the TV and service plan purchased from the same vendor to minimize issues. Just my opinion...
post #749 of 7930 Old 04-23-2010, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholc2 View Post

You'll get slight IR initially, but once it's broken in, that won't even be an issue. If you notice some IR, just run the burnin protection routines.

So its safe to keep this guy? I LOVE THE PICTURE QUALITY, looks a ton better than LCD imo.

I just wanna be sure im not gonna burn in issue.
post #750 of 7930 Old 04-23-2010, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harris613 View Post

So its safe to keep this guy? I LOVE THE PICTURE QUALITY, looks a ton better than LCD imo.

I just wanna be sure im not gonna burn in issue.

the only burn in you get is in your mind - from the time you have to wait for the set get to living room i hope i had it by now ..

By now im so tired of reading and research from all the brands / reviews / experts / users / tests / mesurements / etc etc ..

I just want this set in my home and want it now

Receive the information that Samsung Portugal received the sets yesturday and be initial distribution ate 26 april !
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung Pn63c8000 63 Inch 1080p 3d Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page