The Official Samsung PNxxC6500, PNxxC7000, and PNxxC8000 Owner's Discussion Thread - Page 259 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #7741 of 7930 Old 03-25-2012, 12:50 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I join the club, pink/purple banding here too. I have euro 63C7705 model (same as 63C8000) and it's only 1.5 years old... fortunately samsung has in here 2 years warranty
Waiting for panel replacement.. makes me wonder if it is same thing again in near future..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7742 of 7930 Old 03-25-2012, 12:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jogi View Post

I join the club, pink/purple banding here too. I have euro 63C7705 model (same as 63C8000) and it's only 1.5 years old... fortunately samsung has in here 2 years warranty
Waiting for panel replacement.. makes me wonder if it is same thing again in near future..

Is this caused by a bad panel? Thinking about getting a second and pn63c7000 and wondering if it's really a good idea after all...
post #7743 of 7930 Old 03-25-2012, 01:21 PM
FX4

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I was thinking about it overnight and really I can trace the banding back at least four months. I think I really started to notice it about three weeks ago when I installed a new STB. I went back and looked close at the other places I was seeing the banding and realized it is the pink banding problem. Hopefully they will replace the panel because clearly this is a manufacturing or design defect. I think originally I thought it was a source device problem.
post #7744 of 7930 Old 03-26-2012, 12:40 PM
FX4

At the moment it looks like Samsung is going to warranty it. They didn't even bat an eye or ask me the purchase date. Just sending a technician out.
post #7745 of 7930 Old 03-26-2012, 01:17 PM
FX4

Well Kudos to Samsung. They are going to warranty the repair!
post #7746 of 7930 Old 03-26-2012, 02:59 PM

I have a similar problem to the other person who posted about his same unit on white background but I suspected this is caused by my cable provide "Guide" program....and I want to see is there anything I can recover to save this TV.

I have this PN63C8000 3D Plasma TV about 15 months ago....works perfectly and enjoy it all the time. I have spend about 100 hours for the break-in process by using the break-in color chart that was post here on AVS (via USB memory chip) and I have no "word" or "image" burn mark at all....but recently friend of mine mentioned my screen has a full box of tinted "red/purple" like a 4:3 TV size over my 16:9 format (see attached image screen01.jpg). I cannot take a good picture on my TV to shown that so I use photoshop to create one, it is very similar to that. That "red/purple" tinted box is exactly the 4:3 format that COMCAST PROGRAM GUIDE box (also see my other image - screen02.jpg that I created by photoshop).

I think...when I am not in home, my kid and my wife are watching those non-HD version of the station and that leave the BLACK BAR on both side and they just spend HOURS of watching those program instead of the same station in HD (full width 16:9)....

I just cannot believe this will cause the problem of my TV. Even I went thru all the burn in process but this is very noticeable when there is a WHITE background image/commercial (like other said, the APPLE commercial) I will see a border of red/purple tint and a perfect white on both side...

Is there any "burn in" process that I can do to correct that/fixed that..? or I am screwed and I should need a new TV after I paid $3000 for this one 15 months ago...?

Thanks everyone...

P.S...I am not sure this is = you guys talking about the purple/pink banding problem...mine is not show a band, but a full 4:3 screen size of red/purple/pink tinting on WHITE background...

Do live chat with Samsung tech and they recommend me to hard reset the TV....I will try that after work but I doubt that will solved the problem.
LL
LL
post #7747 of 7930 Old 03-26-2012, 05:25 PM
FX4

You have screen burn in. Interesting that it is pink but it's not the pink banding issue.
post #7748 of 7930 Old 03-27-2012, 08:16 AM

My warranty expired about 4 months ago....how can I get Samsung to warranty this problem...? I really feel like cheated as the TV was top of the line and I was paying high $ for it for 15 months and this crap happened to me...

Samsung live chat told me to contact their local service and they will quote us the repair which is NONE because there is nothing to repair...this need to be replace by a refurblished model or something else. The panel is burned in...for whatever reason.

Plasma sucks....
post #7749 of 7930 Old 03-27-2012, 06:35 PM
FX4

Mine expired six months ago and they treated me very well. That being said I don't know of any manufacturer that will warranty screen burn in. You can certainly try but I think a couple other guys in this thread were told no. It's kind of expected when you buy a plasma you are on guard for this issue. I actually bought my daughter a 46" plasma not thinking about her kids and came over and saw the start of the screen beginning to burn, sat down and educated her. We then set up all her inputs to stretch the screen and trained the kids to turn the television off when they were done. The burn in has since dissipated.

Plasma has the best picture, it's just not for every household. With kids and a non-technical wife you are probably better off with an LED or LCD television.
post #7750 of 7930 Old 03-28-2012, 02:20 PM

YAY! I cracked my screen.
post #7751 of 7930 Old 03-29-2012, 10:10 AM

Just an update.....Samsung technician said $1800 to replace the panel and the board. $1800 I can buy a new 63" LED already. What are they thinking...?

He said I need to talk to ECR department from Samsung...I will do that. He also said all the PLASMA TV required special care by watching it or HOW to watching it....if that is listed on the manual, I will accept that, but IT IS NOT. Not even they asked the user to spend 100+ hours to do the burn in process, I found that our here on AVS forum because my friend just bought a Panny one and follow all the steps and got a great result and I was lucky enough this friend told me to do that...otherwise, I will have burn mark everywhere on the screen..

Samsung has to take care of their mistake by not listing these special process about burn in....I even have the burn in protection "ON" but no help.

Another Technicial will contact me tomorrow....will see.
post #7752 of 7930 Old 03-29-2012, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Optima2003 View Post

Just an update.....Samsung technician said $1800 to replace the panel and the board. $1800 I can buy a new 63" LED already. What are they thinking...?

He said I need to talk to ECR department from Samsung...I will do that. He also said all the PLASMA TV required special care by watching it or HOW to watching it....if that is listed on the manual, I will accept that, but IT IS NOT. Not even they asked the user to spend 100+ hours to do the burn in process, I found that our here on AVS forum because my friend just bought a Panny one and follow all the steps and got a great result and I was lucky enough this friend told me to do that...otherwise, I will have burn mark everywhere on the screen..

Samsung has to take care of their mistake by not listing these special process about burn in....I even have the burn in protection "ON" but no help.

Another Technicial will contact me tomorrow....will see.

Have you tried running the rolling pattern for an extended period of time? Try running it for 48 hours or so. You may be surprised at the result. I had what I feared was burn in from leaving the Netflix screen on all the time. The marks were pink. They were completely erased after running the pattern.
post #7753 of 7930 Old 03-30-2012, 09:57 AM

Hey all,

I recently bought the PN64D8000 and it's got an annoying buzz. The weird thing is that is most audible at the spot where I sit, which is directly in front of the center of the TV. If I move a foot to the right or left or stand up you don't really hear it.

I had a Best Buy tech out today to fix it and he says he doesn't hear anything.

It's not super-duper loud, as long as there is audio coming from the TV I don't really hear it, but on quiet parts or if I pause the TV it's clearly audible. I sit about 14' back from the TV. I guess the guy's trying to tell me that this is normal but I think that's bull! What do you guys think?

I'm currently on hold with Best Buy trying to get them to send out another tech.

Ford Mustangs and the San Diego Chargers. What else is there?
post #7754 of 7930 Old 03-31-2012, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbergman View Post

Have you tried running the rolling pattern for an extended period of time? Try running it for 48 hours or so. You may be surprised at the result. I had what I feared was burn in from leaving the Netflix screen on all the time. The marks were pink. They were completely erased after running the pattern.

I agree. I had left my theater room for a few hours with a bluray menu playing on my C6500 and totally had image retention, burn in, what ever we call it. I thought the screen was toast, but after a few of hours using the scrolling tool the image was gone. It would not hurt at this point to just run the hell out of the IR tools and see what you get.

post #7755 of 7930 Old 04-08-2012, 05:25 PM

Well, I have had my 3rd panel for about 4 months and the pink blotches have returned. I am past my warranty period so I hope Samsung will honor.
post #7756 of 7930 Old 04-22-2012, 02:54 PM

Had my PNC518000 for exactly one year to the day (March 31) when I started experiencing the red clouding during dark scenes. Put in a request to samsung even though my warranty was out for a day or two and a tech came out to adjust the voltage for free. That seemed to work until a week or so later when the pink and purple banding started. I put in a service request again with fingers crossed explaining that I am a loyal Samsung customer and I knew of others having the same issues. They sent out a tech again free of charge, now I am waiting for his call to see when my replacement panel will be available to install. I am worried that the new panel which only has a 30 warranty will do the same thing my original panel did - malfunction leaving me with no options. I feel that with all these problems I am hearing about there should be a refund or replacement option. I understand that products sometimes go bad and an extended warranty is necessary, but a widespread issue like this should be handled by the manufacturer in a better way. So far I am pleased with the way Samsung has responded to my issues, and I hope I can report the same after the new panel is installed.
post #7757 of 7930 Old 04-24-2012, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zackshea View Post

Had my PNC518000 for exactly one year to the day (March 31) when I started experiencing the red clouding during dark scenes. Put in a request to samsung even though my warranty was out for a day or two and a tech came out to adjust the voltage for free. That seemed to work until a week or so later when the pink and purple banding started. I put in a service request again with fingers crossed explaining that I am a loyal Samsung customer and I knew of others having the same issues. They sent out a tech again free of charge, now I am waiting for his call to see when my replacement panel will be available to install. I am worried that the new panel which only has a 30 warranty will do the same thing my original panel did - malfunction leaving me with no options. I feel that with all these problems I am hearing about there should be a refund or replacement option. I understand that products sometimes go bad and an extended warranty is necessary, but a widespread issue like this should be handled by the manufacturer in a better way. So far I am pleased with the way Samsung has responded to my issues, and I hope I can report the same after the new panel is installed.

New panel installed today. From what I have read on this thread, this issue is only beginning. Any suggestions on what I should do? Buy another extended warranty for the new panel? Hope Samsung will replace my whole tv if this panel bombs? I am nervous I will be out the $1400 I paid for this tv last year.
post #7758 of 7930 Old 04-24-2012, 08:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Yea it's pretty bad when we spend our hard earned cash to buy an expensive electronics only to worry if your going to have to spend more in a year.
post #7759 of 7930 Old 04-26-2012, 05:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowcanary73 View Post

Yea it's pretty bad when we spend our hard earned cash to buy an expensive electronics only to worry if your going to have to spend more in a year.

I remember a day when your tv would last 10 years!
post #7760 of 7930 Old 04-26-2012, 10:04 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:

New panel installed today. From what I have read on this thread, this issue is only beginning. Any suggestions on what I should do? Buy another extended warranty for the new panel? Hope Samsung will replace my whole tv if this panel bombs? I am nervous I will be out the $1400 I paid for this tv last year.

I would get the extended warranty, if you can. I had to get my panel replaced, but I couldn't get an extended warranty on the new panel. My tv was past it's original 1yr warranty.
post #7761 of 7930 Old 04-26-2012, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectronicTonic View Post

I would get the extended warranty, if you can. I had to get my panel replaced, but I couldn't get an extended warranty on the new panel. My tv was past it's original 1yr warranty.

Yea it isn't looking good on that extended warranty. They also say another replacement panel out of warranty would run me $1800... more than i paid for the whole tv. I guess if this panel goes and i can't whine enough/butter up samsung for a new panel i will be going with a panny. Although they did give me a free panel out of warranty, it still seems like this should not have happened in the first place to so many people. It has to be a defect, right? Oh well, not the end of the world, just the end of my electronics budget
post #7762 of 7930 Old 04-26-2012, 10:25 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:

Yea it isn't looking good on that extended warranty. They also say another replacement panel out of warranty would run me $1800... more than i paid for the whole tv. I guess if this panel goes and i can't whine enough/butter up samsung for a new panel i will be going with a panny. Although they did give me a free panel out of warranty, it still seems like this should not have happened in the first place to so many people. It has to be a defect, right? Oh well, not the end of the world, just the end of my electronics budget

Yeah, they also replaced mine out of warranty. I think it is a defect, that's the reason they're extending everyone's warranty. It's too bad, it's a really nice tv....when it works. This is probably my last Samsung tv.
post #7763 of 7930 Old 04-26-2012, 11:55 AM

Hello...I have a 42" samsung with a black vertical line, about 3 inches wide or so. I decided to try replacing the buffer boards to determine if the screen or the board was bad. In replacing the board, I noticed that the particular ribbon cable right where the black vertical area is looked as though part of the silver contact that goes in the board connector was only half the side of all the other ribbon cables. I looked at the original buffer board and seemed to notice a small black spot. The ribbon cable has a straight edge on the end of it, so it doesnt seem damaged or melted, but yet is about 1/3 the size compared to all the other ribbon cables that are aligned across the bottom. Has anyone encoutnered this before? And is there anyway to replace this ribbon cable on the panel? I dont think it can, but thought I would check with those that have more knowledge than me. Any advice is appreciated...trying to determine if the panel is useless...there are no cracks btw...

Thanks
Joe
post #7764 of 7930 Old 05-04-2012, 03:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:

I remember a day when your tv would last 10 years!

as fast as technology is evolving and prices are going down...would you really want a 10 year old TV?

just think how dated an 5 year old Samsung plasma is today...AND think how much it cost back then

It was not very long ago that people were paying almost 4K for a Samsung 58(5884 model) and thinking they got a deal

You can pay half of that today( for the similar size) and have a TV that is better in EVERY way

Warren

Rm 1 Samsung 64F8500 Onkyo 5508 prepro Sherbourn 5/1500A amp Atlantic technology System 350 THX Ultra speakers
Rm 2 LG 47LE8500 Pioneer SC37 Celestion 305 speaker system
Rm 3 Samsung 51E8000 Yamaha A2010 Kef 2005.2 speaker system
Rm 4 Panasonic 50ST50 Onkyo 5009/906 Mirage Omni sat speaker system
post #7765 of 7930 Old 05-04-2012, 04:48 PM

Ok, sorry literal Warren. It would be nice to have the option of keeping an expensive piece of electronics for 10 years, regardless of how outdated it became, let alone 1 year. I have a 10 year old tv in my other room that is currently in my humble opinion out shining its much newer and technologically advanced cousin. The second panel that the tech installed is now turning pink.
Has anyone had a new panel installed last any longer than 1 year? I love this tv when it works, I am curious to know what percentage of these tvs crapped out
post #7766 of 7930 Old 05-04-2012, 05:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 29
I would at least want it to last 5 years the technology might change a little bit every year but not enough for me to change. Charge me more for one that last and better service when i do need service I'm not into the throw away mentality.
post #7767 of 7930 Old 05-07-2012, 07:39 PM

Purple banding started showing up months ago. Called Samsung and ran screen test which looked great. They told me it was probably other equipment or cables causing the problem.

Obviously I am another victim of the Purple Band of Death. I will contacting Samsung asap. My tv is about 20 months old so we will see how they handle it.
post #7768 of 7930 Old 05-08-2012, 07:31 AM

Mine was out of warranty and at first they denied my claim and they basically said too bad. I immediately emailed someone on Samsung's website and told them how I was a loyal Samsung customer (true) and that I recommend Samsung to all the people I install home entertainment systems for (99% true). That seemed to change their tune. They sent a tech out who at first just changed the voltage and fixed the red blotchiness. This was before the pink banding. The pink banding happened a week after the tech came out. I emailed Samsung again and they generously sent out another tech who looked at a white screen and confirmed the pink. He called in for a new panel which was installed a few days later. Now this panel has lasted 2 weeks and is slowly turning pink. I haven't called Samsung back yet, the panel supposedly has a 30 day warranty. I will update as soon as I get an answer
post #7769 of 7930 Old 05-09-2012, 08:36 PM

Jeez...I've been reading post after post about the pink/purple banding issue.

My television is about 17 months old, but I've put up with the issue for well over 6 months.

$2,500 down the drain...or not?

I'm on the phone now, just asked to be switched over to supervisor.
Any suggestions?

-They're really sticking to their guns about referring me to a local repair shop for quotes.

-Now supervisor has changed tune and is 'setting' up a bill of sale thingy...she asked for address.

-Stay tuned...well 53 minutes later I'm told someone will call me in a day or two to let me know if they will correct the issue.

BTW - They do not seem to care when I told them I see online that it is a prevalent issue...stated online sources are not valid....I said "But, it's AVS."

How does the forum feel about an online petition for a recall concerning this pink banding issue?
Any tried using implied warranty in the states?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For those that care, I've started an online petition:
http://www.change.org/petitions/pink-banders-unite

Even if you've had your issue "fixed," it'd be nice to help out all the others.
post #7770 of 7930 Old 05-09-2012, 09:10 PM
FX4

I think you'll find they will take care of you. They replaced one panel for me and when it went south they swapped out my television for a new one. Cost 300.00 so I jumped on the deal. Better out 300.00 than 3000.00 (Prorated from the time your warranty expired, 20% a year and I was out 6 months).

BTW, there is never a recall for defective products if safety is not involved. Samsung knows they have a problem and have treated most people well but I suspect the window is closing now as they are getting quite a ways out of warranty.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung Pn63c8000 63 Inch 1080p 3d Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page