The Official Samsung PNxxC6500, PNxxC7000, and PNxxC8000 Owner's Discussion Thread - Page 269 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #8041 of 8064 Old 01-13-2015, 08:13 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I did the upgrade from 001035 to 001037 after having fixed my TV with the firmware update. Now the picture is awful and I can't seem to get it back. I don't know what they intended it to do but I don't recommend it. Anyone know a way to get it back to 001035?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #8042 of 8064 Old 01-13-2015, 09:43 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Guys, I'm in the same boat here with the pink rash. I have a 58" C8000. I have the logic.bin file downloaded and in the proper folder. But if I'm hearing you all correctly, this file is going to wipe out my custom calibration from DNice. Is that correct? If yes, can someone tell me how to backup my settings?

EDIT: just did some more searching on the subject and confirmed that I'll lose the settings, so I need to figure out where those are so I can back them up or write them down. One other question, people referenced a "service remote" to get into the factory settings. I don't have that but do have the remote that came with the panel when I bought it. Will that do?

Thanks!

Last edited by JCUMV; 01-13-2015 at 10:36 PM.
post #8043 of 8064 Old 01-14-2015, 05:59 AM

I just wrote down all of the settings years ago. After the Logic.bin file was installed, I reentered the numbers and it looked great with no purple haze. I later installed the firmware update that was available on the TV and then reentered the numbers but the picture has now changed. Even the service menu acts differently and some of the fields say failed that hadn't before. It no longer looks very good and I would like to revert back to 1035.

JCUMV I don't think there are any hidden calibration settings so you can just write down all settings for each input being used. If you read back further you will see there is a way to enter the extended service menu without the remote. Can someone confirm there are no hidden settings.
post #8044 of 8064 Old 01-14-2015, 09:20 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Did DNice come to your house and do a calibration? In not, then you can just write down the settings.

You do not need a service remote.

Also, can you post these settings? It seems like I have them somewhere but would need to look for them.

Smpte, I'm not sure you can go back once a new update has been installed. I would try to get a thumb drive, download the 1035 from the Samsung site and then try to install that back. Just a thought?

Dank

Sammy PN63C8000

Onkyo TX-SR605

HR44-700

HP-T5064 Still going

post #8045 of 8064 Old 01-14-2015, 05:10 PM

Dank - yes DNice came to my house and did the calibration. I have the stock remote (not the service remote) and played in the Settings this morning before work. I "think" I found where the color settings are held.

Or would they not be available to me because he did my calibration 'on-site'? I'm trying to read into your question above and wondering why his calibrating on-site would matter. Please let me know.

Thanks!
post #8046 of 8064 Old 01-14-2015, 06:44 PM

JCUMV,

The reason I asked is because at some point a long time ago either D-Nice or someone he did settings for posted the calibration settings that he used on our sets.

It would be cool if you could post the settings he used on yours.

Having said that, I'm not sure how you actually calibrate these. Do you go into the service menu or can you just go into the regular menu and adjust the mode, color space, white balance ext.

Granted since he actually preformed the work specifically for your TV in your house, your settings will not be perfect for all of us.

But it would help.

Sammy PN63C8000

Onkyo TX-SR605

HR44-700

HP-T5064 Still going

post #8047 of 8064 Old 01-15-2015, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dankfoot View Post
JCUMV,
Having said that, I'm not sure how you actually calibrate these. Do you go into the service menu or can you just go into the regular menu and adjust the mode, color space, white balance ext.
This is exactly what I'm trying to figure out. I would have to guess it's more than the typical values you listed above. He was here for 3 hours tuning the panel!

While I was in the Service menu and the other day, I did find what looked like an export feature. It was called 'TV to USD' and there was another one called 'USD to Tv'. I guess I'll have to try and see. I hate to just load this logic.bin file to fix the purple banding, and then not be able to get my calibration settings back. That would piss me off.
post #8048 of 8064 Old 01-15-2015, 08:29 AM

Man, once again I have never seen this done so I'm not sure. But when people calibrate their sets a lot of people show their settings. It would seem like if you had to also go into the service menu to make adjustments that would be posted also. ?

Such as:
Picture: movie
Color temp: warm 2
Cell light: 20
ext

Then: go into your service menu and change this to that?

Also, I'm sure you are aware to be really careful playing in the service menu. You can screw everything up pretty easy.

Thanks and let us know what you find out.

Sammy PN63C8000

Onkyo TX-SR605

HR44-700

HP-T5064 Still going

Last edited by dankfoot; 01-15-2015 at 08:45 AM. Reason: Edit, calibration
post #8049 of 8064 Old 01-15-2015, 09:06 AM

Totally agree with you, Dank. But these ISF calibrators are likely doing some pretty heavy duty tweaking over and above the basic stuff you listed above. Maybe I wrong and that really is all it is. Here's a pic of the TV export option in the service menu. I'm going to run this export process, write down all the settings that you reference above, load the logic.bin, and try to re-load my settings. I'll let you know how it goes after the weekend. Wish me luck.

post #8050 of 8064 Old 01-15-2015, 10:09 AM

Did you see my post when I did my logic bin? (below)

"Plugged in the usb.
Opened factory menu.

I didn't see PDP options, so I went to clone TV to usb. TV started updating "something" or at least that is what it said. (this only took a second) Left that menu and then saw the PDP options. So not sure if I just missed it the first time or what. ( hoping I didn't screw up.)

Went to PDP options downloaded the logic.bin file, TV shut off and then back on.

Since then I have been trying to find new calibration settings and watch for any pink banding at the same time"

Like on your picture above, I did not see PDP options. After I went to "clone TV to USB" I did see the "PDP options".

I hope this helps.

Be careful, and you will lose your settings.

Sammy PN63C8000

Onkyo TX-SR605

HR44-700

HP-T5064 Still going

post #8051 of 8064 Old 01-15-2015, 11:24 AM

Dank,
Great convo here, I really appreciate it. I saw earlier in the thread that people had to turn the Hotel feature On to see the PDP menu. I was able to confirm that on my own panel while in the factory menu above (its in a different sub menu).

But I sounds like you're saying that the clone feature is what turned on the PDP menu for you, yes? Which is different than what I was hoping it was. I wanted it to be a 'calibration settings export' type of feature. Sounds like it's not that

EDIT: From Captain Dan's Post #7989 above:

No need for service remote, harmony one, etc
In the 'regular' service menu (mute-1-8-2-power):

Control > Hotel Option > Hotel Mode > ON

This will enable the 'PDP Options' and upgrade can be run as described in the service report without any hex codes, 3speed, harmony control, etc (just used the TV regular remote).

However, the upgrade did not solve the problem 100%, a barely-noticeable purple band still exists, but image is a LOT better.

Good luck.

Dank, my panel worked exactly this same way.

Last edited by JCUMV; 01-15-2015 at 11:30 AM.
post #8052 of 8064 Old 01-15-2015, 12:45 PM

So you have already uploaded the logic.bin file?

Also, to confirm to everyone. After doing my logic upload I still have a slight pink / red rash. I call it a rash because it is no where near the way it was. It is way better now.

I plan to get a new receiver in the next week or two. At this time I think I will also look at adjusting the voltage or at least put a meter on it and see what it reads.

Sammy PN63C8000

Onkyo TX-SR605

HR44-700

HP-T5064 Still going

post #8053 of 8064 Old 01-15-2015, 04:40 PM

I have not uploaded the file yet. I've just been navigating thru the service settings menu to acquaint myself with it, and to make sure I'm seeing the same thing as people are talking about here on the Forum. Which I am...thankfully

Right now, I'm just wanted to make 100% sure I fully understand how to backup my DNice calibration settings before wiping them out with this logic.bin file.
post #8054 of 8064 Old 01-15-2015, 07:03 PM

Hey man,

I thought by now someone else would chime in.

I watched several you tube videos today on calibration. It looks to me that:

Your ISF tech can go into the service menu and tweek some things such as your processor if it is not set right. However I "think" most of the time if they go into the service menu they are just looking around and making sure everything looks ok.

Also, of all the videos I watched basically they just run test patterns on your screen while they have a meter attached to the panel measuring the outputs. They also visually use filters to view test patterns.

Depending on the measurements they just adjust the cell light, contrast , brightness, color ,tint and so on. Once they get the correct patterns on their computer they are done.

So unless we can find out for sure I really don't know.

I would print out the complete settings list from someplace like c-net. Take those settings and mark them out with a pen or whiteout. Then you can go into your menu and write down your settings "for each mode". If you have a complete printout in front of you, you will be less likely to miss a setting.

Maybe you could e-mail someone such as tweek TV, c-net, chad b and ask them if they make changes in the service menu when doing calibrations.

In fact I'll send a couple e-mails tomorrow. I think it would be pretty easy to find.

I hope this helps some. Also once again be careful in that service menu.

Dank

Sammy PN63C8000

Onkyo TX-SR605

HR44-700

HP-T5064 Still going

post #8055 of 8064 Old 01-17-2015, 10:00 PM

I did the Logic.bin update last night on my PN58C8000. Everything went smooth and the pink banding is gone! I was all hung up on losing my settings from DNice, but surprisingly, they held. The standard modes when back to default, but when i selected CAL-DAY, all the settings were the same as I had written down before I applied the update. Thanks so much to the Forum for helping people solve this problem!
post #8056 of 8064 Old 01-18-2015, 07:54 AM

Glad it worked out.

Now you need to post the settings.

Sammy PN63C8000

Onkyo TX-SR605

HR44-700

HP-T5064 Still going

post #8057 of 8064 Old 01-18-2015, 09:33 AM

Dank, I sent you a PM.
post #8058 of 8064 Old 01-19-2015, 10:43 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by toddcurry View Post
Have had purple band for a while.

Just switched picture mode from Dynamic to Standard and turned Eco mode off. Purple band is now gone.

Can others confirm that this works? And/or advise on why this isn't a decent "solution" given hassle / cost of Sammy service (and fully respecting others' opinions -- just want to know trade-offs here).

TC
I have had Eco mode turned off since pretty much Day 1, so believe me when I tell you that turning it off and switching picture mode to Standard won't do the trick; what happens when you decide you need to switch to Movie picture mode? I can't imagine anyone wanting to leave picture mode permanently on Standard when watching all viewing material from all sources just to get rid of the pink banding, and accept that as a long-term solution.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryououki View Post
Confirmed working on my PN58C7000. The part at the end where it states Upgrading takes quite a bit longer than I expected and it shows no progress bar or anything. But it did work perfectly. My set did power off but boot up afterwards on it's own. But most importantly, no more of the purple banding! Thank you all soooo much!!
Ditto for me--I can't readily tell if it installed the logic f/w file from the USB because the only progress status it displayed was "Upgrading"...then after a bit of waiting I think I saw it very briefly (i.e, it flashed it on the screen very quickly) display "Success" before my TV power-cycled.

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGriddle View Post
Wow, that did the trick! Thanks longfta and Captain Dan. I can verify that this procedure worked for my 63c8000. Also, thanks again Jim Smith 2 for posting the logic.bin file for the 63 series.
Dang I wish I had read this thread first instead of the other dedicated pink-banding thread--I downloaded and installed the German Samsung software remote app in order to access the full service menu; the Hotel menu backdoor method is much easier for unhiding the PDP Options submenu.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smpte View Post
I just wrote down all of the settings years ago. After the Logic.bin file was installed, I reentered the numbers and it looked great with no purple haze. I later installed the firmware update that was available on the TV and then reentered the numbers but the picture has now changed. Even the service menu acts differently and some of the fields say failed that hadn't before. It no longer looks very good and I would like to revert back to 1035.
Thanks for the heads-up--I was debating about installing 1037 even before embarking on the pink-banding fix. FWIW--I read somewhere that older Samsung f/w versions allowed for access to ALL of the service menu options (like PDP Options/ Logic USB D/L) up to version 1026 IIRC) and that Samsung "disabled" access to it in later versions--hence the need for various workarounds in order to unhide it.

Anyways--I installed both the updated logic firmware file and bumped the Vs to 213 V; should I bother bumping the Vs back down to say, 210 V? Or to put it another way--what (adverse) long- and/or short-term effects might occur if I leave the Vs at 213 V and with the updated logic file installed?

Thanks to all involved for providing the various info to fix the pink banding issue! I had pretty much given up and decided to accept the fact that I had to live with the pink banding...but no more, thanks to the great folks here!

Tony

Last edited by toneman; 01-19-2015 at 10:47 AM.
post #8059 of 8064 Old 01-20-2015, 08:21 AM

I am thinking I still might adjust the voltage. I have no clue about the long / short term.

Sammy PN63C8000

Onkyo TX-SR605

HR44-700

HP-T5064 Still going

post #8060 of 8064 Old 01-21-2015, 09:09 PM

Consolidated Process

Hi,

Like many others, I was a little worried about updating the firmware. But after reading the success stories I couldn't resist. After reading several posts here, other referenced threads and the service bulletin, here's what I did to update the logic board firmware on my PN58C8000 3D panel:

Prelim:

1) Read this service bulletin to confirm what version of the LOGIC.bin file you need:

http://www.encompassparts.com/newsle...g_July2013.pdf

I needed [3D58]LOGIC.bin for my 58 inch 3D panel.

2) Depending on what file you need, search this thread for the location of the file. I downloaded mine from:

http://www.mediafire.com/?bgmlscnmvzynfz6

3) Build the proper folder structure on a blank USB memory stick as described in the service bulletin, rename the downloaded file to LOGIC.bin, and copy it to the memory stick.

4) Insert the USB memory stick into your TV.

Update Process:

1- With the TV off, hit MUTE 182 POWER on your normal Remote
2- A menu will appear that says Hotel mode OFF
3- Turn Hotel Mode ON (Control > Hotel Option > Hotel Mode > ON)
4- Find the option "Clone the TV to USB" and do it
5- Under PDP Options go to "LOGIC USB D/L"
6- Press the right arrow button
7- Wait for the "Updating" message to go away - the TV will then restart itself
8- Go back into the service menu and turn hotel mode off

There seems to be some question if this happens to everyone, but when I go in or out of Hotel Mode I lose various Picture and Audio settings including, Movie/CAL-DAY or whatever option you had selected, all the Red, Green , Yellow, Cyan, etc. custom settings, as well as Clear Voice audio setting.

I had performed the Vs setting procedure earlier. My picture had deteriorated pretty badly and I had to go to 214 V to get most of the purple banding to go away but even then still saw some remnants on various mostly white screen. At the moment I've left this setting in place as well as performing the firmware upgrade and like others have stated my set look BETTER THAN NEW. Seriously! No more purple banding at all. Plus, "horizontal line bleeds" my set had since day 1 are now gone. I'm so pleased with my set again!!

Finally, has anyone had their TV recalibrated after upgrading the firmware? Would love to get someone's recent settings. I'm using the calibration settings some magazine review recommend in 2010 when the TV was new and just guessing those settings are not optimal 5 yrs later (and with the new firmware). Please please post settings from a recent professional calibration or point me to another thread/forum if I just haven't found them.

Hope this gives someone confidence to try this update on their own. Its not hard and results for me were great!
post #8061 of 8064 Old 01-22-2015, 08:53 AM
Advanced Member

craigrpeters--congrats on successfully fixing the pink banding on your set; like you, I did both (firmware and Vs adjustment--wish I had come across the Hotel Mode access to the Logic D/L option first instead of having to install a software program to get to it); also like you--I'm not sure if it's just my eyes playing tricks on me but I swear the colors look a bit more crisp/vibrant now than they did before I performed the fix!

Tony
post #8062 of 8064 Old 01-22-2015, 06:15 PM

Liked: 0
I have a PN58C550 and need the [2D58]LOGIC.bin file. I have been searching everywhere for it with no luck. I would really appreciate if someone can link the file or PM me. Thank you so much!
post #8063 of 8064 Old Yesterday, 10:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 210 Post(s)
Liked: 129
All this talk of issues just makes me glad that my 50C6500 is still strutting its stuff 5 years later without any issues. Dithering used to bother me at first but not anymore and I've never had the pink band issue knock on wood. It amazes me this latter problem is still around even on the 2014 sets.

This set by far is still the best I've ever seen when it comes to scaling, de-interlacing and overall video processing of 720p and 1080i tv content even outclassing my main tv which is a Panasonic 65VT60.

I hope there are others out there like me enjoying their sets without any major issues
post #8064 of 8064 Old Today, 08:03 AM

JCUMV why not share your settings with all the people that helped you get rid of the pink banding. A lot of us have spent countless hours for you and others. Just saying.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung Pn63c8000 63 Inch 1080p 3d Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page