Abe's of Maine Legit? - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 4Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #31 of 48 Old 06-20-2014, 10:41 AM
Member
 
garface's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 27
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I just received my tv from them this morning. 75" Samsung.

Their "white glove delivery" is equivalent to the free delivery offered by most sellers. Beachcamera.com had my 58" plasma dropped off in my garage by two guys, opened, and plugged in for free 5 years ago. Abe's had this done by one guy for $250. They call you after and try to upsell you and give you a whole bunch of crap about insurance and white glove. I told him to cancel my order many times and he just kept offering more. Finally ended up getting a US market tv which supposedly has a 1 year warranty, white glove delivery, and $300 in restaurant.com gift cards for an extra $250. I know those gift cards can be purchased very inexpensively, but I didn't really want to wait anymore for my tv.

I knew they would call about adding insurance and I figured it would be at least $100, so all in all it didn't bother me too much. I got the tv in under 4 days which isn't bad at all. They have almost 3000 positive reviews on google so I figured I'd give it a shot. I felt uneasy the whole time, especially after the call with the sales pitches. What did bother me is that the original tv was non US market with a 90 day warranty. If it wasn't for the sales pitch call I would not have known that as it didn't say it anywhere on the site.
garface is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #32 of 48 Old 06-20-2014, 11:02 AM
AVS Special Member
 
adone36's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 2,558
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Any time I went to purchase something at Abe's, their tremendous price advertised was not so great. You compare it to Amazon for example and say "they're cheap". But then most of the stuff Amazon offered is "extra" and there is no customer satisfaction guarantee, so the clowns that try out 5 tvs before they buy one are out of luck. Then there is the annoying bait and switch or huge accessories mark up. The majority of the raves for Abe's come from rubes who buy warranties who wet themselves carrying on about the $500 warranty that Abes gave them for $250 that cost Abes maybe $18 and the "$300 value" mount they got for $75 that cost Abes $10.

Tony
adone36 is offline  
post #33 of 48 Old 06-20-2014, 11:06 AM
Member
 
garface's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 27
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 12
They offered me a 3 year warranty extension for $150. I asked who provided it and I believe he said New Leaf. Does anyone know anything about them?
garface is offline  
post #34 of 48 Old 06-20-2014, 02:24 PM
Senior Member
 
ben38's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Brooklyn, New York
Posts: 350
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 54
They used to be called WARRANTEC. I believe that's still the company name. My Brother had a new leaf warranty for his camera. (A Pentax) They refused to help him with his problem because the camera was still under the company warranty period. (a very generous 2 years) PENTAX fixed his problem with no cost to him. He later found out his 3 year new leaf warranty was really only for one year because Pentax covered the first two. BBB has a favorable accreditation for them, but as for me, I'll pass.
ben38 is online now  
post #35 of 48 Old 06-20-2014, 02:41 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Mrorange303's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 1,368
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 640 Post(s)
Liked: 176
I just used them. 3265 advertised. 3850 was the actual. They also tried to keep the 3d glasses unless I paid a premium to get them even though they come with the set. The set was shipped same day. I hope I get it in 4 days.

I would say I could of found it cheaper and maybe felt better about my expirience.

But I did get a 3 yr warranty and free wall mount. Free as in I paid for it. But again if I truly get a 3 yr in home warranty im good.

Still less than BB.
Mrorange303 is offline  
post #36 of 48 Old 06-20-2014, 05:06 PM
Senior Member
 
ben38's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Brooklyn, New York
Posts: 350
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrorange303 View Post
I just used them. 3265 advertised. 3850 was the actual. They also tried to keep the 3d glasses unless I paid a premium to get them even though they come with the set. The set was shipped same day. I hope I get it in 4 days.

I would say I could of found it cheaper and maybe felt better about my expirience.

But I did get a 3 yr warranty and free wall mount. Free as in I paid for it. But again if I truly get a 3 yr in home warranty im good.

Still less than BB.
I used to buy from them all the time many moons ago when they had a little storefront in Brooklyn. I call it a storefront because it was really just a warehouse with a front desk for walk-ins. (I lived just a few minutes away.) Their prices were the best I could get from any retailer at the time. They would always try to sell me something else, like an extended warranty, but I'd always refuse and walk out with my item. I always knew they operated on the shady side, but it didn't bother me because if something i bought was no good, I always knew where to go. On the two occasions i did need to exchange a defective item for a good one, they never gave me a problem. (Shady merchants knew better back then. You cheat neighborhood walk-ins at your own peril.) I knew one of the stock boys who worked there for a time. When they moved to New Jersey, I never dealt with them again.
As for your purchase, MROrange, if they charged you 585 dollars more than the advertised price, they ripped you off. As i said, I knew a stock boy who worked for them before they moved. The Wholesale prices they pay for some items is about a tenth what you pay. They probably paid less than 10 bucks for that wall mount, and a three year warranty costs them nothing. Holding your 3d glasses hostage until you paid their price is shady in the extreme. (They would have been firebombed if they tried that in Brooklyn.) These guys are not authorized dealers of anything. And now that they do most of their business on the phone and the internet, they feel they can get away with these behaviors without serious repercussion. I don't tell you these things to make you feel bad about your purchase, (It's over and done with) I tell you these things to make you think twice about using them again. And for everyone else reading this.
Sorry to be a wet blanket, my friend. Just thought you should Know.
tubetwister and Mrorange303 like this.
ben38 is online now  
post #37 of 48 Old 06-20-2014, 05:33 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Mrorange303's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 1,368
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 640 Post(s)
Liked: 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben38 View Post
I used to buy from them all the time many moons ago when they had a little storefront in Brooklyn. I call it a storefront because it was really just a warehouse with a front desk for walk-ins. (I lived just a few minutes away.) Their prices were the best I could get from any retailer at the time. They would always try to sell me something else, like an extended warranty, but I'd always refuse and walk out with my item. I always knew they operated on the shady side, but it didn't bother me because if something i bought was no good, I always knew where to go. On the two occasions i did need to exchange a defective item for a good one, they never gave me a problem. (Shady merchants knew better back then. You cheat neighborhood walk-ins at your own peril.) I knew one of the stock boys who worked there for a time. When they moved to New Jersey, I never dealt with them again.
As for your purchase, MROrange, if they charged you 585 dollars more than the advertised price, they ripped you off. As i said, I knew a stock boy who worked for them before they moved. The Wholesale prices they pay for some items is about a tenth what you pay. They probably paid less than 10 bucks for that wall mount, and a three year warranty costs them nothing. Holding your 3d glasses hostage until you paid their price is shady in the extreme. (They would have been firebombed if they tried that in Brooklyn.) These guys are not authorized dealers of anything. And now that they do most of their business on the phone and the internet, they feel they can get away with these behaviors without serious repercussion. I don't tell you these things to make you feel bad about your purchase, (It's over and done with) I tell you these things to make you think twice about using them again. And for everyone else reading this.
Sorry to be a wet blanket, my friend. Just thought you should Know.
The only reason I didn't cancel was I planed to spend 4200. I agree though I won't use them again. And I would probably use another company as both east coast and bnh both said the sets come with the glasses inside the box. Meaning they open boxes.

Of we choose these less than authorized dealers we ourselves get what we pay for.

Would I do it again. Yes. With Abe's? I don't think so.
ben38 likes this.
Mrorange303 is offline  
post #38 of 48 Old 06-23-2014, 06:52 AM
Member
 
garface's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 27
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 12
If you buy from an unauthorized dealer will manufacturers not stand behind their warranties?
garface is offline  
post #39 of 48 Old 06-23-2014, 07:48 AM
"Don't PM Me Bro"
 
RandyWalters's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: El Segundo, Calif
Posts: 17,475
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 472
Quote:
Originally Posted by garface View Post
If you buy from an unauthorized dealer will manufacturers not stand behind their warranties?
The manufacturers claim that they will not honor the warranty if you buy from an un-authorized dealer, but in all my years here can't remember ever seeing anyone here being denied warranty work as long as they have a receipt as proof of purchase date.

As for Abe's calling customers and telling them the TV they just bought is not a US model and they need to pay more to get a US model, that's a flat out lie as US retailers can only get US-specific models from the manufacturers. Manufacturers do not sell nor distribute models from different countries - they are ALL country-specific.

Randy
TC-P55ST60, TC-P50GT50, TC-P46G10, TH-42PZ700U, TH-42PX50U, HP LC2600N, TiVo Series3, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR333, URC R40 Remote.
Pic of My A/V setup - http://cdn.avsforum.com/f/f1/900x900..._Img_4867.jpeg
Gallery - http://www.avsforum.com/g/a/2082686/randywalter...
RandyWalters is offline  
post #40 of 48 Old 06-23-2014, 10:25 AM
AVS Special Member
 
tgm1024's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 6,159
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 281 Post(s)
Liked: 691
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWalters View Post
The manufacturers claim that they will not honor the warranty if you buy from an un-authorized dealer, but in all my years here can't remember ever seeing anyone here being denied warranty work as long as they have a receipt as proof of purchase date.

As for Abe's calling customers and telling them the TV they just bought is not a US model and they need to pay more to get a US model, that's a flat out lie as US retailers can only get US-specific models from the manufacturers. Manufacturers do not sell nor distribute models from different countries - they are ALL country-specific.
If I recall correctly, there were people in both the LG LM7600 thread (2012) and one of the Sony threads I can't remember who both got word from LG and Sony that it has never been the case that you have to buy from an authorized reseller to be covered by the manufacturers limited warranty.

However, I don't believe it, at least not for Sony. Here's their take on it:

http://store.sony.com/-cms-page.sony.authorized.dealer
Quote:
Originally Posted by sony
Sony honors its limited product warranties only when the products are purchased from an in-network reseller.
Good luck figuring out which is correct in real life.

WARNING: You have now entered a no @#$%tard zone. Please gather your anti-vaccine propaganda nonsense and slowly back out the way you came in.

Last edited by tgm1024; 06-23-2014 at 10:29 AM.
tgm1024 is offline  
post #41 of 48 Old 06-23-2014, 01:15 PM
Member
 
Andy_H's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Schaumburg, Illinois
Posts: 116
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I bought an HD camcorder from Abe's in 2006. I bought an extra extended battery that was rated for x minutes when I ordered it. When I got the camera, the camcorder gave the projected number of minutes well below the x amount advertised, even on the lowest setting. I called them and explained that the batter was not working as advertised. After a bit of denial, they offered to send me the correct battery if I returned the one I got (I had to pay return shipping) or else they would send me an additional battery for free. I went with the latter option.

I do remember being surprised that they called me after the sale, in an effort to upsell me.
Andy_H is offline  
post #42 of 48 Old 07-06-2014, 01:13 AM
Member
 
acostapimps's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 19
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottFern View Post
I had a similar experience with them with this sales tactic, but I did ultimately purchase the Samsung plasma (F8500) from them since they were still $200 cheaper than everywhere else.

Salesman calls me day after I place my online order explaining I had selected the import model and that it couldn't use the evolution kits and the warranty wouldn't be honored by Samsung, BUT if I wanted to get the US model it would only be $300 more! And since he was such a nice guy he was going to throw in white glove delivery, which turned out to be a single delivery man carrying my TV by himself (hope he didn't drop it) and opening the box for me and plugging it in to the wall while still in the foam and once the screen turned on he couldn't wait to leave my house. Didn't offer to help set it up on my TV stand let alone help me get the other TV down.

If I had to do it again, with all the variations in the TV lottery I would of went with a more reputable seller. Most likely any issue you find is going to be found long after the delivery man is gone.
I hopefully get the same experience you did, since they told me the same thing, free white glove delivery U.S model, $200 less than the advertised U.S model, but I apparently ordered the import(they said commercial model)which was a lot cheaper with no warranty.
acostapimps is offline  
post #43 of 48 Old 07-06-2014, 08:02 AM
"Don't PM Me Bro"
 
RandyWalters's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: El Segundo, Calif
Posts: 17,475
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 472
Quote:
Originally Posted by acostapimps View Post
I hopefully get the same experience you did, since they told me the same thing, free white glove delivery U.S model, $200 less than the advertised U.S model, but I apparently ordered the import(they said commercial model)which was a lot cheaper with no warranty.
Dude, they LIED to you in order to get you to pay more. You did not order an"import" because the only TVs distributed in the USA and available to USA dealers in the USA are USA models, and it will have a factory warranty. They don't really sell "imported" TVs. It's a bait-and'switch tactic and people keep falling for it.

Randy
TC-P55ST60, TC-P50GT50, TC-P46G10, TH-42PZ700U, TH-42PX50U, HP LC2600N, TiVo Series3, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR333, URC R40 Remote.
Pic of My A/V setup - http://cdn.avsforum.com/f/f1/900x900..._Img_4867.jpeg
Gallery - http://www.avsforum.com/g/a/2082686/randywalter...
RandyWalters is offline  
post #44 of 48 Old 07-06-2014, 01:39 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Stereodude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Detroit Metro Area
Posts: 9,907
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 494 Post(s)
Liked: 534
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWalters View Post
Dude, they LIED to you in order to get you to pay more. You did not order an"import" because the only TVs distributed in the USA and available to USA dealers in the USA are USA models, and it will have a factory warranty. They don't really sell "imported" TVs. It's a bait-and'switch tactic and people keep falling for it.
Well, it's a little more complicated than that. If you refuse all the upselling they try you won't get anything because they won't ship you the cheap "import" one.
Stereodude is offline  
post #45 of 48 Old 07-06-2014, 04:13 PM
"Don't PM Me Bro"
 
RandyWalters's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: El Segundo, Calif
Posts: 17,475
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 472
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stereodude View Post
Well, it's a little more complicated than that. If you refuse all the upselling they try you won't get anything because they won't ship you the cheap "import" one.
Then i'd call their bluff and tell them "i'll take the import" and get the lower price - when the TV arrives it will still be a USA model.

Then i betcha they'll call back and say that they're fresh out of import models and try to get you to pay more for the USA model

Randy
TC-P55ST60, TC-P50GT50, TC-P46G10, TH-42PZ700U, TH-42PX50U, HP LC2600N, TiVo Series3, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR333, URC R40 Remote.
Pic of My A/V setup - http://cdn.avsforum.com/f/f1/900x900..._Img_4867.jpeg
Gallery - http://www.avsforum.com/g/a/2082686/randywalter...
RandyWalters is offline  
post #46 of 48 Old 07-06-2014, 04:28 PM
Senior Writer @ AVS
 
imagic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 5,562
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1044 Post(s)
Liked: 2200
here are a bunch of Abe's of Maine horror stories:

http://www.consumeraffairs.com/homeo...-of-maine.html

I was curious about Abe's price on the Samsung PN64F8500, which I just bought open-box from a Best Buy. Abe's advertised price was barely any higher than what I paid. After reminding myself that Abe's is a poster-child for bait-and-switch, I feel much better about my open-box purchase. There's even a F8500 horror story in that link.

Find out more about Mark Henninger at www.imagicdigital.com
imagic is online now  
post #47 of 48 Old 07-06-2014, 05:13 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Stereodude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Detroit Metro Area
Posts: 9,907
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 494 Post(s)
Liked: 534
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWalters View Post
Then i'd call their bluff and tell them "i'll take the import" and get the lower price - when the TV arrives it will still be a USA model.

Then i betcha they'll call back and say that they're fresh out of import models and try to get you to pay more for the USA model
What I was trying to say is they will never ship you the "import" model. They'll tell you it's backordered, or have some perpetual story on why they can't ship you one. Ultimately, you're never going to get a TV from them at the price you thought you were going to pay.
Stereodude is offline  
post #48 of 48 Old 07-07-2014, 07:10 AM
AVS Special Member
 
tgm1024's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 6,159
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 281 Post(s)
Liked: 691
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWalters View Post
Then i'd call their bluff and tell them "i'll take the import" and get the lower price - when the TV arrives it will still be a USA model.

Then i betcha they'll call back and say that they're fresh out of import models and try to get you to pay more for the USA model
C'mon. Let's be a little smarter than that. Good grief.
tgm1024 is offline  
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off