Abe's of Maine Legit? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 4Likes

post #1 of 48 Old 04-07-2010, 09:27 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Of course the title of my thread says it all. I would only like to hear from people who have done business with Abe's of Maine please. Especially those who have bought tv's.

I know they have had bad reviews in the past, a couple years ago mostly but now it seems to have cleaned up. Every company has bad reviews. Are they better now? I have seen worst hdhut, powersellers nyc, primo cameras, and Starlite Group Inc according to reviews not from my own experience. Those look like scams. But Abe's of Maine might look like a diamond in the rough that is starting to be polished, plus I guess they have an on site store.

I am not new here, I have been browsing for almost a year reading everything, but I am popping my posting cherry with this one.

I know the rules, don't discuss where to buy. But where else am I going to get knowledgeable tv buying opinions fast other than avs.

So let me know what you know of Abe's of Maine? I have been seeing some good reviews and experiences lately from them so let me and everyone else know for sure this time.

Thank You
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 48 Old 04-07-2010, 09:37 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 19
Have purchased 2 x in the least year A+
post #3 of 48 Old 04-07-2010, 09:39 PM

Pretty good rating according to reseller ratings: Nearly 9 out of 10 for the last six months. I purchased a camera from them about a year ago and they were great.
post #4 of 48 Old 04-07-2010, 09:41 PM

Have ordered. Safe place to purchase from.
post #5 of 48 Old 04-07-2010, 09:49 PM - Thread Starter

I'm getting good responses so far. Nice to hear.

I would consider HDHut and Primo Cameras scams or bad dealers would you guys agree with that?
post #6 of 48 Old 04-08-2010, 07:04 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Been great with me

*ENTERTAINMENT PURPOSES ONLY* 

PIONEER KRP-500M
(2) Monitor Audio RX6 towers - (1) Monitor Audio RX center - (2) Monitor Audio RX FX surrounds
(1) Rythmik FV15HP-SE sub - (1) Denon 2313CI avr
post #7 of 48 Old 04-08-2010, 07:10 AM

Liked: 12
Bought a 67" LED DLP from them in Dec '08. Great price & fast shipping.
post #8 of 48 Old 04-08-2010, 08:10 AM

bought photography gear from them for several years when that was all they sold,, just purchased a Sammy 63" plasma from them and it had free delivery and included a free wall mount,, the TV arrived with nary a ding on the box,, I removed it and powered it on and worked perfect,,

I have never had any issues with them and would certainly buy from Abes again,,

Derry

Common sense is not common,,

Gunned 1.6QRs & Altec VOTTs
post #9 of 48 Old 04-08-2010, 08:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
How is the return policy if you get a "lemon"?
post #10 of 48 Old 04-08-2010, 11:33 AM - Thread Starter

Sounds great. Thanks guys and I hope this helped anyone else out there.

By the way Derry, what is "nery a ding?" I am assuming "not a ding."
post #11 of 48 Old 04-08-2010, 11:51 AM

yes ,, the box was in very good condition with no marks or tears,, certainly not like some containers I have received items in,,

Derry

Common sense is not common,,

Gunned 1.6QRs & Altec VOTTs
post #12 of 48 Old 04-08-2010, 12:23 PM - Thread Starter

Derry,

How was that wall mount that came with the pn63b550? By the way would you have bought it from costco instead if it was available there to you before you bought from Abe's? Or would you have still bought from Abe's with the included mount.
post #13 of 48 Old 04-08-2010, 12:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
2 legit 2 qwit
2 purchases thus far and they have been great
post #14 of 48 Old 02-26-2011, 08:05 AM

seems AOM has the lowest online price for the PN50C8000
post #15 of 48 Old 02-26-2011, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pditty8811 View Post

Of course the title of my thread says it all. I would only like to hear from people who have done business with Abe's of Maine please. Especially those who have bought tv's.

I know they have had bad reviews in the past, a couple years ago mostly but now it seems to have cleaned up. Every company has bad reviews. Are they better now? I have seen worst hdhut, powersellers nyc, primo cameras, and Starlite Group Inc according to reviews not from my own experience. Those look like scams. But Abe's of Maine might look like a diamond in the rough that is starting to be polished, plus I guess they have an on site store.

I am not new here, I have been browsing for almost a year reading everything, but I am popping my posting cherry with this one.

I know the rules, don't discuss where to buy. But where else am I going to get knowledgeable tv buying opinions fast other than avs.

So let me know what you know of Abe's of Maine? I have been seeing some good reviews and experiences lately from them so let me and everyone else know for sure this time.

Thank You

Damn right it's legit. Have purchased from them for over 15 years. Just make sure you verify USA warranty. In my experience, they do occasionally offer some gray market merchandise.
post #16 of 48 Old 09-01-2011, 10:15 AM

They will call you a day or two later and upsell the crap out of you with extended warranty's and upgrades. Maybe it's legit, I don't know yet. They won't ship my tv until I listen to them beg me to take the $300 extended warranty and the $70 more for a low-profile wall mount.
post #17 of 48 Old 09-08-2011, 09:17 AM

I just received my Sharp LC-70LE734U - 70" from them a few days ago. I paid $3200 for the TV, white glove shipping, 3 year in-home warranty, and an upgraded slim profile wall mount. I got everything I was promised so it is legit in that respect. That slim profile wall mount is not worth a penny more than $30 in my opinion, let alone the $99 supposed upgrade price, and I will not be using it (junk). The warranty is through AMT Warranty but I can't speak to whether they're any good or not. The "white glove" shipping did result in the TV being delivered in one piece, but the box had holes in it, and one of the nylon surround straps on the box was broken, and it looked dirty. In my case, I saved a bundle because I live in Canada and had it delivered just over the border in the states and I picked it up there. I didn't want any of the extras he was selling, but when he told me that the TV would have no warranty what-so-ever after crossing the Canadian border, I caved on it. I am not sure if he was truthful of not, but I got the wall mount "upgrade", truck delivery, and 3-year in home warranty for an extra $311.82.
post #18 of 48 Old 07-14-2013, 04:30 PM

Bump!
Any more experiences with these people?

i have an order with them and am thinking to cancel as 200$ may not be worth the trouble of wondering whether it will ship or not after i reject the upsell.
post #19 of 48 Old 07-14-2013, 06:07 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Look, IMO there are quite a few stories on many of these threads about people who bought and had to return 1, 2, or 3 sets to various retailers. I bought a 51'D8000 from them about a year ago. It was a Jan 2012 build and I have had no issues with since purchasing it. I too got the 3 year in home warranty which was later upgraded to a 5 year warranty for free.

I'm about to purchase a 64'F8500 from them and have no fear of purchasing from Abes. It's a crap shoot anyway with the "subcontractors" that deliver the actual sets. All retailers use subs. Just my 2 cents.

Samsung 64' F8500
Onkyo NR809 (Main)
PS4
Samsung BD5900
7.2 System with Cambridge Soundworks MC300IW (left, center,right)/Monoprice 8inch in-wall speakers(wides), JBL AESS5-WH (surround)
Cambridge Soundworks Base Cube 15' Sub
Bic 12' Subwoofer
post #20 of 48 Old 07-15-2013, 04:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 60
Thinking of returning my 51 inch F8500 I bought from Amazon and getting the 60 inch from Abes. Only 300 dollars more than I paid for my 51 inch at Amazon. Seems too good to be true.

500 gigs FTW.
post #21 of 48 Old 05-08-2014, 11:08 PM

Terrible service, rude, deceptive. I ordered a Nikon DSLR from the website. No email confirmation. Day later a guy calls and says I should expect all these problems because I ordered an import. Aren't all Nikon's imports? He gives me the hard sale saying what I ordered won't have a battery, software, manuals, warranty, etc. For another $300 my new Nikon will come with all the normal accessories. Guy gets rude and pushy when I refuse to engage in his bait & switch. He suggests my order will take two to three weeks to arrive. Someone ought to sue Abe's of Maine for false advertising! They're liars, operating from New Jersey, not Maine. Don't waste your time.

post #22 of 48 Old 05-09-2014, 01:15 AM

Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by rahurlburt View Post

They're liars, operating from New Jersey, not Maine. Don't waste your time.

Richard, after reading your post I did some "research" on Abe's... and found this...

How to avoid online HDTV shopping scams
http://www.nbcnews.com/tech/security/how-avoid-online-hdtv-shopping-scams-f742267

[start Snip...]
Quote:
The Scam

We call the following “low-ball bait and switch.” The online dealer advertises a price below all competition and the state that the TV is in stock, and can ship it to you for free. You take the bait and place the order. Within a day you receive a phone call from the dealer to confirm the order. The salesman now employs high-pressure sales techniques to sell you anything he can, including but not limited to: a “3-D” HDMI cable for a 3-D TV (there is no such thing), a custom stand or wall mount, an extended warranty or our favorite, “expedited” extra-cost freight. They’ll explain the “free freight” offered will take weeks for the TV to get there, but for another $100 the set will arrive in a few days. An alternate pitch: the make and model you ordered is being discontinued or superseded by New Model X and they’ve got an “amazing” special for you.

Buy enough bait extras and you’ll get the TV you ordered. According to customer complaints, the add-ons won’t be the name-brand items promised, but cheap low-quality knock offs. Refuse the bait, and you will be waiting for the cows to come home before you’ll ever see your “hot” deal TV. Or worse, maybe when you open the box you discover it’s a repacked unit, defective, refurbished, scratched or whatever.

Abe’s of Maine

When researching this article the name Abe’s of Maine kept popping up, so we refer to them as the poster child bad online dealers.

A brief history: According New York's Better Business Bureau website, Abe’s of Maine opened its doors in Brooklyn, N.Y. in 1979. It is owned by Abe Mosseri. Here is what the BBB has to say about the N.Y. operation:

On May 22, 2007, this company’s membership in the Metropolitan New York BBB was revoked by our BBB’s Board of Directors due to the company’s repeated and unauthorized use of the BBB logo and failure to eliminate the underlying cause of complaints on file concerning: non-delivery of products, misrepresentation of availability of merchandise, refusal to honor cancellations or provide timely refunds, unprofessional conduct, failure to resolve customer complaints, overcharging, undisclosed cancellation of orders, improper upselling tactics, and bait-and-switch selling.

Abe’s offers all the major brand HDTVs. We checked with Samsung, LG and Sharp to see if Abe’s is a factory-authorized seller of those HDTV brands. All told us NO.

Over at Yelp.com there are 185 comments.
Almost all are very negative, but a few are simply glowing. How can that be?
We, and others, suspect these are ringers.
Here’s the link: http://www.yelp.com/not_recommended_reviews/MWFscl-NP2DB-B5VgzrX4A
Judge for yourself.

When “30-day returns” means “No returns”

Abe’s policy page lists a “30-day money-back guarantee” and reads:

A rock solid money back guarantee that you can bet on. We understand that there’s always a chance that you won’t be completely satisfied with a product you’ve purchased with us and we know it’s nothing personal and that is why we offer a thirty day return policy*. If you are unhappy with a product then we’ll take it back and provide you with a full refund *.

See that asterisk? Well at the bottom of the page, in small type states:

* Please read complete policy for details.

Follow the link, and you’ll find the items are exempt from its 30 day return policy. Spoiler! This list includes TVs.

The following items can only be returned if unopened: A/V Furniture, A/V Receivers, Bluetooth Accessories, Car Equipment, Computer Peripherals, Consumables, DJ Equipment, DVD players, Gaming Consoles, Headphones, Home Theater, Laptops, Microphones, Printers, Projectors, Shavers.

The following items cannot be returned: Fitness equipment, Large Appliances, Microwaves, Wine Coolers, Humidifiers, Trim kits, Security items, Special Order Merchandise, Marine and Camping Equipment, Sunglasses, Watches, Software, TV’s, Computer components, Laptops, Tablets.

Except for photographic equipment, this list appears to cover just about everything Abe’s sells! That’s right. If you buy a TV from them, you can’t return it.

Price Grabber also rates its retailers, and Abe’s gets its highest rating.
However, the positive comments are non-specific short blurbs, and anyone can place an unverified, self-serving comment on Price Grabber. Here are some of the trite, positive comments:

“Easy transaction.” “Very pleasant.” “Excellent prices! Easy-to-use website and plenty of selections.”

While a negative one provides more detail:

Merchant told me item was “in stock” when I ordered it. Three days later, I was told by one agent it would take a week or more to find a shipper. Another agent told me the item was not in stock. I would not have ordered if the item was not in stock. Since, at least one agent lied to me, I no longer trusted them and cancelled my order. Trying to speak with a customer service agent was nearly impossible, as it took me 45 minutes on hold to speak to one.

While it’s understandable that unhappy customers would be more likely to write longer reviews, we find the lack of longer, positive comments highly suspect.

First published April 29 2012, 12:10 PM
[end Snip...]

I found many more horror stories out there... google "Abe’s of Maine" scam

Lying is the least of their improprieties...

Scary, crazy stuff...
cajieboy likes this.

I'm like a beaver...
A hot little beaver...
post #23 of 48 Old 05-09-2014, 08:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 158 Post(s)
Liked: 581

^^^I was going to post that same NBC news article.

People,

READ

THE

RETURN

POLICIES!!

And be further aware when evaluating vendors from anywhere: some stores seem to be following the notion of "screw them and then if they complain to the BBB, then offer to solve the problem if they withdraw the claim."

WARNING: You have now entered a no @#$%tard zone. Please gather your anti-vaccine propaganda nonsense and slowly back out the way you came in.
post #24 of 48 Old 05-09-2014, 07:08 PM

Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgm1024 View Post

People,
READ
THE
RETURN
POLICIES!!

And be further aware when evaluating vendors from anywhere: some stores seem to be following the notion of "screw them and then if they complain to the BBB, then offer to solve the problem if they withdraw the claim."

Great advice...

I'll add to that by saying...

People,
ALWAYS
RESEARCH
THE
COMPANY
YOU
ARE
GOING
TO
DO
BUSINESS
WITH!!!
PLEASE

oh and...
I
PANCAKES...

I'm like a beaver...
A hot little beaver...
post #25 of 48 Old 06-17-2014, 04:58 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Just got off the phone with Roy from Abes, inquiring about a Samsung F9000.

Advertised for $1699 + FREE shipping on the website.

Long story short, add $200-$300 to their advertised prices. They won't ship the TV for the advertised prices. I called in, and they said that I would have to get insurance, and it would be shipped via UPS or FedEX instead of Freight for $350 less $100 in "special coupons." (meaning he typed nonsense into a keyboard, and pulled an arbitrary number out of thin air).

In the end, it would have cost me $250 more to get the TV, which was on par with some other local dealers.

When he pitched the insurance, he said it covers defects for 7 days and they would swap out the TV if there were any problems. In the end, I asked again to make sure, and suddenly, he changed his mind and he said "go to Samsung for warranty work." Problem is that if the TV arrives out of the box with a dead pixel, I have read Samsung won't cover it. If Abe's doesn't cover it, then you are out of luck.

Basically, they false advertise and don't stand by their product/service. You are rolling dice when you buy from here.
post #26 of 48 Old 06-17-2014, 05:09 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Don't know about today, but years ago (back in the "VHS" days), they were definitely a scam outfit. They'd advertise prices, you'd go into the store and they wouldn't give you the price. That was back in the days when they had a physical store in Canarsie, Brooklyn.

A post above this one seems to indicate that nothing has changed and they act just like the other no-name, largely Brooklyn-based scam outfits that tell you that batteries and straps don't come with cameras and they can only be sold with a third party guarantee or it can only be shipped with insurance and all other kinds of b.s.

Seems to me they were always perpetuating a scam since they never had any facility in Maine.

Why would you even consider dealing with a retailer when there's any doubt whatsoever? There's plenty of great retailers with good prices.

I'd much rather deal with B&H or if you're buying something a bit more esoteric, deal with Value Electronics, one of the best totally independent dealers in the country. I'd also advise buying from a local, independent dealer if there's any left where you are located. Keep local people in business even if it means paying a bit more.

If you look to save every last nickel, you'll be back on here in a few months crying about how the dealer screwed you.

Edit: Oops..didn't realize the original post was from 2010.

Last edited by zoetmb; 06-17-2014 at 05:16 PM.
post #27 of 48 Old 06-17-2014, 07:51 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rahurlburt View Post
Terrible service, rude, deceptive. I ordered a Nikon DSLR from the website. No email confirmation. Day later a guy calls and says I should expect all these problems because I ordered an import. Aren't all Nikon's imports? He gives me the hard sale saying what I ordered won't have a battery, software, manuals, warranty, etc. For another $300 my new Nikon will come with all the normal accessories. Guy gets rude and pushy when I refuse to engage in his bait & switch. He suggests my order will take two to three weeks to arrive. Someone ought to sue Abe's of Maine for false advertising! They're liars, operating from New Jersey, not Maine. Don't waste your time.
I had a similar experience with them with this sales tactic, but I did ultimately purchase the Samsung plasma (F8500) from them since they were still $200 cheaper than everywhere else.

Salesman calls me day after I place my online order explaining I had selected the import model and that it couldn't use the evolution kits and the warranty wouldn't be honored by Samsung, BUT if I wanted to get the US model it would only be $300 more! And since he was such a nice guy he was going to throw in white glove delivery, which turned out to be a single delivery man carrying my TV by himself (hope he didn't drop it) and opening the box for me and plugging it in to the wall while still in the foam and once the screen turned on he couldn't wait to leave my house. Didn't offer to help set it up on my TV stand let alone help me get the other TV down.

If I had to do it again, with all the variations in the TV lottery I would of went with a more reputable seller. Most likely any issue you find is going to be found long after the delivery man is gone.
post #28 of 48 Old 06-18-2014, 08:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Liked: 132
I was really surprised at the first 2/3rds of the posts given Abe's has such a bad reputation, up there with East Coast TV, etc., until the last few posts Abe's a grey market seller with no return policy, is not an authorized dealer for any of the major brands and many of those manufactures will not honor a warranty from a product acquired from them. And as the late posters noted, they try and scam you with things like mandatory "shipping insurance" that's really a profit to them and not real insurance or purchase of their extended warranty which is not bonded or backed by any third party which means it's empty paper. For some people who are not risk adverse their pricing makes all this worth it. But know what you're signing up for.
post #29 of 48 Old 06-18-2014, 04:07 PM

Liked: 0
Ah, Abes.

I encountered them back in the 90's in the classified section of a stereo magazine. I was interested in a SVHS machine and they mentioned one as a display model. Despite my concerns, a friend of mine highly encouraged me to order it. Two weeks after placing the order and no show, I called and they told me, "we're not done demonstrating it yet." I offered to give them a week and after that I would be calling the credit card company to report it. It came a couple or so days later.

As you can imagine I never did order through a classified magazine section again.
post #30 of 48 Old 06-18-2014, 11:07 PM

Liked: 0
well,agree, Copy: I live in Canada and had it delivered just over the border in the states and I picked it up there. I didn't want any of the extras he was selling, but when he told me that the TV would have no warranty what-so-ever after crossing the Canadian border, I caved on it. I am not sure if he was truthful of not, but I got the wall mount "upgrade", truck delivery, and 3-year in home warranty for an extra $311.82.thanks
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page