Scratched PLASMA = BETTER PICTURE - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 04-10-2010, 06:37 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Well last week my kids scratched the screen on my Panasonic PZ80U.
The scratch was major - approx 30" length, deep enough to catch and hold your fingernail.

The replacement glass from Panasonic is over $600 - not worth replacing.
After reading through the forums & purchasing the service manual I decided to remove & replace the filter/glare coating myself.

I removed the front glass front the plasma, laid on my work bench and removed the filter with a razor blade. The filter is approx 1mm thick - very thick, designed to prevent the screen from breaking (TUF Panel).

There are actually 2 coatings:

1 - Clear plastic with reddish/copper dots on plasma side.
This layer covers the entire glass panel.

2 - Tinted filter with antiglare coating on screen side
Covers the visible area only.

There appears to be only a tinting effect when looking though the 2 filters, colours do not appear to shift. The panel is wrapped with conductive tape which is in contact with the first layer.

I cleaned the panel thoroughly with acetone to remove residual glue.
I then applied a 35% VLT window tinting film to the viewing side of the glass and reassembled the TV.

Impressions After replacement

GOOD
  1. Picture is much more dynamic
  2. Whites are significantly brighter - particularly on full screen white
  3. Blacks are actually blacker
  4. Visible detail is improved - no scattering effect from the antiglare coating
  5. Colours are more natural - had to sift tint from 0 to -10, but according to DVE filters it is set correctly @ -10

BAD
  1. Small dust specs caught between glass & tint - unavoidable, but only visible at less the 12"
  2. Reflections from screen during full sun make viewing past 60deg difficult - not an issue with my layout
  3. Possibilty of breaking the glass is increased - no more TUF panel

Overall, I thought my kids broke my TV, but afterwards I would say they made it better!
This impression is shared with my wife - her comment after replacement was "WOW, that looks so much better than before!"

Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 04-10-2010, 07:02 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ineedsocks View Post

Well last week my kids scratched the screen on my Panasonic PZ80U.
The scratch was major - approx 30" length, deep enough to catch and hold your fingernail.

The replacement glass from Panasonic is over $600 - not worth replacing.
After reading through the forums & purchasing the service manual I decided to remove & replace the filter/glare coating myself.

I removed the front glass front the plasma, laid on my work bench and removed the filter with a razor blade. The filter is approx 1mm thick - very thick, designed to prevent the screen from breaking (TUF Panel).

There are actually 2 coatings:

1 - Clear plastic with reddish/copper dots on plasma side.
This layer covers the entire glass panel.

2 - Tinted filter with antiglare coating on screen side
Covers the visible area only.

There appears to be only a tinting effect when looking though the 2 filters, colours do not appear to shift. The panel is wrapped with conductive tape which is in contact with the first layer.

I cleaned the panel thoroughly with acetone to remove residual glue.
I then applied a 35% VLT window tinting film to the viewing side of the glass and reassembled the TV.

Impressions After replacement

GOOD
  1. Picture is much more dynamic
  2. Whites are significantly brighter - particularly on full screen white
  3. Blacks are actually blacker
  4. Visible detail is improved - no scattering effect from the antiglare coating
  5. Colours are more natural - had to sift tint from 0 to -10, but according to DVE filters it is set correctly @ -10

BAD
  1. Small dust specs caught between glass & tint - unavoidable, but only visible at less the 12"
  2. Reflections from screen during full sun make viewing past 60deg difficult - not an issue with my layout
  3. Possibilty of breaking the glass is increased - no more TUF panel

Overall, I thought my kids broke my TV, but afterwards I would say they made it better!
This impression is shared with my wife - her comment after replacement was "WOW, that looks so much better than before!"

Mike

Ive read on here of another guy replacing the glass him self and I think he also said it made it better... Got any pics?
post #3 of 3 Old 04-10-2010, 10:54 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
"3. Blacks are actually blacker"

Very interesting.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page