Samsung PN58C590 Calibration Settings - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 137 Old 04-17-2010, 09:11 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi!

Just got my PN58C590 delivered today. Spent the last few hours rewiring my A/V system to accommodate it and some other new stuff.

I'm happy to report NO BUZZ! I was worried, but - it's far more quiet than the Sony KF42WE610 it replaced.

My question - does anyone have the calibration settings for this set? It has the advanced calibration mode and I've found the settings for the PN58A550 but I wanted to see if anyone had updated info.

Thanks a mega-tron.

an intellectual is a person who's found one thing that's more interesting than sex. -huxley
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 137 Old 04-18-2010, 01:44 PM

I too am watching for some settings advice. I've had my PN58C590 for a little over 2 weeks now. Very satisfied. Read alot about different brands and LCD vs. plasma. I was concerned about the number of Buzz reports in the "B" series Samsungs, and the rising black levels in the Panasonics. I reviewed and watched prices for a long time before making the purchase. Couldn't be happier. Excellent inky blacks, NO buzz, slight tweaking and the picture looks wonderful to my eye. In the store I compared it to the new Sony KDL55EX500. The Samsung plasma had much deeper blacks. Once properly set-up, I think it will only be better. Like many reports regarding flat panel displays, the speakers are the weak point. Great TV.
post #3 of 137 Old 04-18-2010, 04:07 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIHThtr View Post

I too am watching for some settings advice. I've had my PN58C590 for a little over 2 weeks now. Very satisfied. Read alot about different brands and LCD vs. plasma. I was concerned about the number of Buzz reports in the "B" series Samsungs, and the rising black levels in the Panasonics. I reviewed and watched prices for a long time before making the purchase. Couldn't be happier. Excellent inky blacks, NO buzz, slight tweaking and the picture looks wonderful to my eye. In the store I compared it to the new Sony KDL55EX500. The Samsung plasma had much deeper blacks. Once properly set-up, I think it will only be better. Like many reports regarding flat panel displays, the speakers are the weak point. Great TV.

Excellent! I love it - have been tweaking the video settings all day!

I tried the settings I found for the B550 but some of the available settings have changed (either in name of functionality) and it seems very dull. Right now I'm at:

Dynamic
Cell: 12
Contrast: 85
Brightness: 47
Sharpness: 25
Color: 50
Tint: 50

All ECO settings off.

Picture Options:
Color: Normal
Digital/MPEG Noise Filters: Off
Film Mode: Off

I like the picture with these settings but I'm wondering if it's TOO showroom.

Here's to hoping that someone posts installer calibration settings!

BTW: About the audio - don't buy a 58" TV w/o a home theater system!

an intellectual is a person who's found one thing that's more interesting than sex. -huxley
post #4 of 137 Old 04-18-2010, 05:24 PM

Thanks for the post. I too am still waiting for some professional review/calibration settings. I have a 58C550 and just copy and pasting settings from the B550 does not work.
post #5 of 137 Old 04-18-2010, 08:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
.. possibly some you can start frm in pn63b590 thread:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1212629

p.s isn't cell light diff. for '10 models; if the 20 max, may want to start at 14-16 setting.
post #6 of 137 Old 04-18-2010, 10:28 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by daniel'son View Post

.. possibly some you can start frm in pn63b590 thread:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1212629

ok, there was a post there with settings with day/night cal mode done by an ISF technician on the PN63C590. you can enable these modes in the service menu (turn TV power off - mute 1 8 2 power - expert - n/d adj to on)

the settings listed are nice, but a little too 'dull' for my taste. personally, i like a TV picture to jump - while the picture looks technically accurate, it's a bit drab to me - unless i'm in a completely dark room.

i bumped the cell to 10, contrast to 88 and color to 44 and i think i'm good. still toying. i will say that the depth of field looks much better and the colors are OMG nice - great balance.

for reference, here are my new settings (after enabling day/night cal mode)

CAL-DAY (main mode)

cell 10
contrast 88
brightness 52
sharp 10
color 44
tint g36/r64

advanced
black tone off
dynamic contrast off
gamma 0
color space auto

white balance setting
r offset 30
g offset 25
b offset 13
r gain 11
g gain 25
b gain 5

flesh tone 0
edge enhance off

options
color tone normal
digital/mpeg filters auto
HDMI black: low
film mode - source dependant

gonna play more tomorrow night and i'll post some tweaks then as i go through source material.

BTW: set looks GOOD!

post #7 of 137 Old 04-19-2010, 12:11 AM

Liked: 11
inkyjinx, got a question for you. In both your cal-modes(day and night) can you try to change colorspace from auto to native and see if you notice any change. Also can you please try going thru the different settings in black tone and dynamic contrast and see if your notice any change. The reason I ask this is because in the B series only the 650 and up gives you the full cal-modes. The B series looks as if dynamic contrast is locked on the highest setting, same with black tone and colorspace is locked in auto
post #8 of 137 Old 04-19-2010, 08:48 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanpol View Post

inkyjinx, got a question for you. In both your cal-modes(day and night) can you try to change colorspace from auto to native and see if you notice any change. Also can you please try going thru the different settings in black tone and dynamic contrast and see if your notice any change. The reason I ask this is because in the B series only the 650 and up gives you the full cal-modes. The B series looks as if dynamic contrast is locked on the highest setting, same with black tone and colorspace is locked in auto

i'll confirm tonight when i get home, but on the C series i remember very slight differences with each setting. i'll check them tonight and post what i notice.

post #9 of 137 Old 04-19-2010, 09:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 27
I have been reading this thread with interest, I have the PN58C550 and it is appearently possible to set this to be recognized as a C590 in the service menu... so

If I do this will all of these settings apply or will they even be available?

Thanks!

Al
post #10 of 137 Old 04-19-2010, 10:34 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Sherwood View Post

I have been reading this thread with interest, I have the PN58C550 and it is appearently possible to set this to be recognized as a C590 in the service menu... so

If I do this will all of these settings apply or will they even be available?

Thanks!

My understanding is yes - follow the information in the post above to access the service menu. You'll need to change the model number of the set - which I a) am not familiar with and b) take no responsibility for.

If you do that, the only difference between the 550 and 590 should be the anti-glare coating and optical out.

I only bought a C590 because ABT gave me the same price as they would have on a C550.

Let us know how it goes, Al! I'm curious if a C550 will calibrate the same as a C590 with the service menu tweak.

post #11 of 137 Old 04-19-2010, 11:38 AM
AVS Special Member

^^ .. inky .. does the newer "C" models have a "Cell light" that max'es out at 20; if so, have you tried moving it up to say, 15 or 16.

recall with the previous models, cell light was 10/highest and it seemed most calibrators were using that max setting ,or near it, to achieve closest gama.
post #12 of 137 Old 04-19-2010, 01:00 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by daniel'son View Post

^^ .. inky .. does the newer "C" models have a "Cell light" that max'es out at 20; if so, have you tried moving it up to say, 15 or 16.

recall with the previous models, cell light was 10/highest and it seemed most calibrators were using that max setting ,or near it, to achieve closest gama.

it does go to 20.

i'm at 12 now (with recent tweaks) and i'm pretty happy with the picture.

i was afraid of cranking this (i understand it can 'age' a plasma similar to cranking brightness/contrast) but now that i know most calibrations are done on a 10 point scale, i'll tweak with less fear!

post #13 of 137 Old 04-19-2010, 02:29 PM

Liked: 24
Hi guys, I pre-ordered a samsung pn58c8000 3D plasma, but after reading some reviews I'm finding that it might not be the beastie for me and was thinking of going with the 58C590 (the $1000 price difference in our favor didn't upset the wife either lol) So far it seems like everyone is happy with the set yes ? This will be my first plasma and want to make the best decision I can
thanks !

We have nothing to fear but fear itself... and spiders

My current gear : (Mancave) Vizio M701, Sony Str-DA5800 receiver,  Speakers : Front.. Klipsh RF-7 reference flagship, Center.. RC-64 reference, Surrounds.. 4x RC-62 reference, DirecTv Genie, PS3, Oppo BDP-105 Universal Audiophile blu-ray. 

post #14 of 137 Old 04-19-2010, 02:35 PM

im probably going to end up getting 58" c550..it just looks much better than the panasonic s1 sitting beside it at best buy...when i get this tv should i change it to a c590? (that is if i can figure it out of course) what would be the benefits of doing this? also does it void the warranty or anything if you do do this?
post #15 of 137 Old 04-19-2010, 02:48 PM
AVS Special Member

^^ .. a search thru here may answer your question:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1175569

also, believe Chris of Cleveland Plasma (forum sponsor) has mentioned against SM changes for warranty reasons.
post #16 of 137 Old 04-19-2010, 04:25 PM

so changing the c550 to a 590 will give it more calibration options and 24p, cinema smooth or w/e? let me know how this goes Al, im just worried about if i do it if itll screw up the warranty..but im planning on getting geek squad black tie protection for it anyways.
post #17 of 137 Old 04-19-2010, 07:07 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnus7661 View Post

so changing the c550 to a 590 will give it more calibration options and 24p, cinema smooth or w/e? let me know how this goes Al, im just worried about if i do it if itll screw up the warranty..but im planning on getting geek squad black tie protection for it anyways.

maybe. if you have a problem (and plasmas are quite reliable) and set the model number back before a service technician arrives, the service tech may have some way of checking. will he check, and will he notice that it was changed.

it's also worth noting that ABT gave me a C590 for a C550 price. while i am a regular with ABT and this was their company direction. my 'regular' deal was the same on a C550 and a C590. other retailers (or ABT directly) may be doing that as well.

for my set, i have rolling purple bars tonight but i have (nearly) eliminated the TV itself as the problem. bad component cable or a/v receiver switching. damnable troubleshooting. UPDATE: fixed. monoprice component video cable FTL.

post #18 of 137 Old 04-19-2010, 07:12 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyzer the medic View Post

Hi guys, I pre-ordered a samsung pn58c8000 3D plasma, but after reading some reviews I'm finding that it might not be the beastie for me and was thinking of going with the 58C590 (the $1000 price difference in our favor didn't upset the wife either lol) So far it seems like everyone is happy with the set yes ? This will be my first plasma and want to make the best decision I can
thanks !

i am extremely happy with my PN58C590. even my S.O. has remarked 'i've never seen this movie look like this, it's like i'm watching it for the first time.'

post #19 of 137 Old 04-19-2010, 07:33 PM

Liked: 24
This is going to be my first Plasma TV. I've heard lots of horror stories about IR, Burn-in and Buzzing on Samsungs (admittedly from mostly Panasonic/Pioneer fans) Anyone experiencing anything like this with the 590 ? It looks like it will be a close TV to the 8000

We have nothing to fear but fear itself... and spiders

My current gear : (Mancave) Vizio M701, Sony Str-DA5800 receiver,  Speakers : Front.. Klipsh RF-7 reference flagship, Center.. RC-64 reference, Surrounds.. 4x RC-62 reference, DirecTv Genie, PS3, Oppo BDP-105 Universal Audiophile blu-ray. 

post #20 of 137 Old 04-19-2010, 08:10 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

ok, after watching a variety of source material:

i cannot see a difference in the color space setting.

black tone, i can see subtle differences in darker colors on certain material. HD TiVo via component showed a bit stronger blacks and browns on certain programs as i graduated the setting darker. it does not seem to effect green/red/blue at all, which is a pleasant surprise.

dynamic contrast was a noticeable difference across all material. it seems to sacrifice some detail - both color and picture - for a bit more punchy picture. if anything it makes the contrast appear greater - opposite of what the function implies - as you go up. for example, in the office, the edge on a suit's lapel became hard to see on medium and high. please note it was VERY difficult to spot the difference without a still image.

i noticed similar results with a DVD and appleTV. i saw similar results, perhaps more pronounced dynamic contrast on HDMI via ps3.

by the 'eye test' - i like both set off right now.

post #21 of 137 Old 04-19-2010, 08:13 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyzer the medic View Post

This is going to be my first Plasma TV. I've heard lots of horror stories about IR, Burn-in and Buzzing on Samsungs (admittedly from mostly Panasonic/Pioneer fans) Anyone experiencing anything like this with the 590 ? It looks like it will be a close TV to the 8000

i have not head about any buzzing issues with the C series - both people at ABT told me the issue was remedied in the C series models. i have done a lot of business with ABT and know these two salespeople to be extremely knowledgeable.

image burn and IR can be an issue with any plasma, but it is exceptionally rare under normal viewing.

post #22 of 137 Old 04-19-2010, 09:59 PM

Liked: 11
So inkyjinx while in cal-day or cal-night if you change dynamic contrast from low to high you can see a change. Also while in cal-day or cal-night if you change blacktone from low to high you notice a difference also.
post #23 of 137 Old 04-19-2010, 10:46 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

So inkyjinx while in cal-day or cal-night if you change dynamic contrast from low to high you can see a change. Also while in cal-day or cal-night if you change blacktone from low to high you notice a difference also.

i only checked cal-day due to limited time tonight and the fact that i saw differences on cal-day.

i do notice differences in both of these settings, as described in the post above. i'll play with cal-night later in the week.

post #24 of 137 Old 04-20-2010, 12:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by inkyjinx View Post

it does go to 20.

i'm at 12 now (with recent tweaks) and i'm pretty happy with the picture.

i was afraid of cranking this (i understand it can 'age' a plasma similar to cranking brightness/contrast) but now that i know most calibrations are done on a 10 point scale, i'll tweak with less fear!

So do you have new set of calibrations to share with us C5X0 owners?

BTW, in another thread this was written regarding access to the 'other' calibration modes, maybe no model change is required?

Quote:
vahid,

You are correct! You do not need to change the model number and I recommend against it. Just activate the Cal mode in Expert sub Menu in the Service Menu. My best Black levels are in the Cal-Night mode and settings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vahid
NO do not change the TV model, when you enter service mode, you can go into expert mode and activate the Cal day/night option there.

Al
post #25 of 137 Old 04-20-2010, 03:48 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Sherwood View Post

So do you have new set of calibrations to share with us C5X0 owners?

almost! i'm a notoriously picky tweaker and i'm waiting till 100 hours has passed to make any final adjustments. from the last post i made, here's what i'm seeing:

1. cell light needs to be adjusted. i'm currently looking at settings in the 14-17 range but i'm not settled yet.

2. the green levels look too high on some program material - most notably ESPN (which i know is not a great signal) and a few DVDs and PS3 games/blurays.

that said, with my playing around and research - and leaving my set running i'll be past 100 hours when i get home tonight and with a glass of wine and a copy of 'planet earth' on bluray waiting for my eyes i'll post what i hope to be 'final' settings later tonight.

post #26 of 137 Old 04-20-2010, 05:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by inkyjinx View Post

almost! i'm a notoriously picky tweaker and i'm waiting till 100 hours has passed to make any final adjustments. from the last post i made, here's what i'm seeing:

1. cell light needs to be adjusted. i'm currently looking at settings in the 14-17 range but i'm not settled yet.

2. the green levels look too high on some program material - most notably ESPN (which i know is not a great signal) and a few DVDs and PS3 games/blurays.

that said, with my playing around and research - and leaving my set running i'll be past 100 hours when i get home tonight and with a glass of wine and a copy of 'planet earth' on bluray waiting for my eyes i'll post what i hope to be 'final' settings later tonight.

Looking forward to the "numbers"!

What has been your impression of Cinema Smooth?, I tried a 24p source and there was definite judder; turned it off and the motion 'smoothed' out...

Al
post #27 of 137 Old 04-20-2010, 06:00 PM

hey guys I recently purchased the Samsung PN50B860. I love the picture, however its to small for my room. So needless to say Im looking to return for a bigger set. Question how does the PN58C590 compare to the 860 picture wise. The salesmen at my local Video Only tells me that the 590 is the better panel but I dont know if that's just salesmen talk or is there some real merit to that. Please help, and info would be most appreciated. Thanks!
post #28 of 137 Old 04-20-2010, 06:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdotson41 View Post

hey guys I recently purchased the Samsung PN50B860. I love the picture, however its to small for my room. So needless to say Im looking to return for a bigger set. Question how does the PN58C590 compare to the 860 picture wise. The salesmen at my local Video Only tells me that the 590 is the better panel but I dont know if that's just salesmen talk or is there some real merit to that. Please help, and info would be most appreciated. Thanks!

I was in a very similar position to where I was a couple of weeks ago, bought a PN50C550 and found it too small for the room, when the wife also said it was too small I had to move quick, opportunities like that seldom last long!

I haven't seen the 2009 B860 but the 2010 C5X0 panels (C540/C550/C590) all seem to be the same, you have to look at all of the specs and read between the lines, it seems that the features are controlled by model settings within the firmware.

Al
post #29 of 137 Old 04-20-2010, 06:17 PM

Thanks Al. In the end did you buy the C590, and if so how do you like compared to other models.
post #30 of 137 Old 04-20-2010, 07:38 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdotson41 View Post

ha! when my wife approved of the 58¨ size after delivery i was pleasantly surprised.

my understanding is that the picture quality of the 590 and 860 are the same, the difference is in the ´slim´ panel of the 860 and internet widgets. the 860 is 1.2¨ deep, the C590 about 1¨ thicker.

in two stores, on identical settings and source material, i was unable to see a difference. but this is not long term observation.

Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung Pn58c590 58 Inch 1080p Plasma Hdtv Black
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page