post #361 of 387 Old 08-16-2011, 09:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 191 Post(s)
Liked: 331
Quote:
Originally Posted by JuiceRocket View Post

Hi all, I know this thread is pretty old, but I just picked up one of these tv's. It was an open box, and it's missing the remote control and a few screws for the stands. I'm going to use my Logitech remote to program the TV in, but am wondering if there are any setting options my remote won't be able to get to because I'm without the tv's native remote.

Thank you!

-JR

You can use the controls on the side of the set to make your picture adjustments. You may not be able to access functions that include the screen format and zoom, info, which displays the current picture settings and resolution and favorites menu.

Ian

The best way to succeed in life is to act on the advice you give to others

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 387 Old 08-16-2011, 10:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by mailiang View Post

You can use the controls on the side of the set to make your picture adjustments. You may not be able to access functions that include the screen format and zoom, info, which displays the current picture settings and resolution and favorites menu.

Ian

Thanks Ian. I wonder if I can find a remote for cheap online.

Do you know how to check for power ups/hours on this unit? I'd like to see that data as well, since this was an open box.

-JR

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #363 of 387 Old 08-18-2011, 11:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuiceRocket View Post

Thanks Ian. I wonder if I can find a remote for cheap online.

Do you know how to check for power ups/hours on this unit? I'd like to see that data as well, since this was an open box.

-JR

You would have to have the factory remote and with a service code access the service menu. Unless you know what your doing I wouldn't recommend it.

Ian

post #364 of 387 Old 08-18-2011, 12:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:

You would have to have the factory remote and with a service code access the service menu. Unless you know what your doing I wouldn't recommend it.

Ian

Thanks again. I have an old PWD6UY, and the code on there to check PU/hours is really straightforward. Sounds like it's tougher on this model - and without the actual remote not possible.

Bummer. This was an open box purchase so I'd love to see how many hours were put on it by the previous owner.

-JR

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #365 of 387 Old 09-09-2011, 08:36 AM
AVS Special Member

My brother and law and I have had 2 C2's for a year and a half now and both sets are work horses. As matter of fact the more I use mine, the better the picture gets. We have not experienced rising or floating blacks, fluctuating brightness, bad pixels, burn in etc.. that the higher end Pannys seem to have. I have encountered some stubborn IR from the score ticker on the YES channel, but running a snowy screen for an hour or two cleans it right up. Has any C2 owners have any real problems lately such as those I have mentioned?

Regards,
Ian

post #366 of 387 Old 09-09-2011, 04:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:

My brother and law and I have had 2 C2's for a year and a half now and both sets are work horses. As matter of fact the more I use mine, the better the picture gets. We have not experienced rising or floating blacks, fluctuating brightness, bad pixels, burn in etc.. that the higher end Pannys seem to have. I have encountered some stubborn IR from the score ticker on the YES channel, but running a snowy screen for an hour or two cleans it right up. Has any C2 owners have any real problems lately such as those I have mentioned?

Regards,
Ian

I've had my 42" Version for about 16 months and no probs. I don't see all these problems with floating blacks, rising blacks or FBR's.

Panny 60VT60 Acurus 200x3
Pioneer Elite 05FD &51FD
2 Oppo 83's Pioneer Elite DV 59AVI
Paradigm SIg2 v3's & 490cc
Pioneer Elite SC61 SVS SB12NSD
2 S-VHS VCR's
post #367 of 387 Old 11-16-2011, 12:44 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi, I did a thread on CATS override... All Panisonics get floating blacks, though depending on your brightness and contrast settings you may not even notice it.

I calibrated mine to be about the same black levels as my LED DLP. Soon after burn in, during my first attempt at calibration I noticed when I adjusted during the THX optimizer for contrast and brightness before setting up color. I saw what seemed to be spotty bright pixilations after contrast was turned up.

Even though CATS was disabled, I did note when the picture got so bright black levels would change to a higher level.

I tweaked the Contrast adjustment in the service menu to lower the contrast point from FE down to half way.

Since then I am able to adjust any brightness and or contrast level without having the black levels jump or the odd brightly pixilated shadows on grey scale bar patern test.

It has the same dramatic effect as my DLP with 2010: A Space Odyssey and with the Blu-ray DVE with High def demonstration materials.

Yes, my 2010 Panasonic 42C2 performs better than an S2 No floating blacks and keeps the lowest black levels.
post #368 of 387 Old 11-16-2011, 01:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Tech View Post

Hi, I did a thread on CATS override... All Panisonics get floating blacks, though depending on your brightness and contrast settings you may not even notice it.

I calibrated mine to be about the same black levels as my LED DLP. Soon after burn in, during my first attempt at calibration I noticed when I adjusted during the THX optimizer for contrast and brightness before setting up color. I saw what seemed to be spotty bright pixilations after contrast was turned up.

Even though CATS was disabled, I did note when the picture got so bright black levels would change to a higher level.

I tweaked the Contrast adjustment in the service menu to lower the contrast point from FE down to half way.

Since then I am able to adjust any brightness and or contrast level without having the black levels jump or the odd brightly pixilated shadows on grey scale bar patern test.

It has the same dramatic effect as my DLP with 2010: A Space Odyssey and with the Blu-ray DVE with High def demonstration materials.

I never noticed that issue when using the grey scale bar pattern to calibrate the contrast on my set. These TV's are mass produced. Every panel and their calibrations will probably have subtle differences. Thanks for your input.

Ian

post #369 of 387 Old 04-16-2012, 11:41 AM

My friend has a VGA output on his laptop and wants to hook this tv up to it somehow so he can put his computer display on the TV. I know this tv doesn't have a VGA input (if i remember correctly) so how does he have to do it? What kind of cable is needed to work? will VGA-HDMI work? maybe VGA-component?
post #370 of 387 Old 04-16-2012, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00firebird View Post

My friend has a VGA output on his laptop and wants to hook this tv up to it somehow so he can put his computer display on the TV. I know this tv doesn't have a VGA input (if i remember correctly) so how does he have to do it? What kind of cable is needed to work? will VGA-HDMI work? maybe VGA-component?

Assuming that the VGA port on the laptop is standard, and therefore only outputs RGBHV, there's no simple pass-through cable that will work. You'll have to transcode to component, or get a VGA to HDMI digitizer--either one requires an active, powered electronics device of some kind. Check the docs on the laptop, though, to see if the "VGA" port actually outputs/can output component with an appropriate breakout cable.
post #371 of 387 Old 11-15-2013, 12:11 PM

ok, great info on here.. I picked up a TC-P42C2 yesterday at the pawnshop for $239 ... not bad i figure since it sells at walmart currently onsales for $499
anyway I'm pleased with it but would like to do some calibrating and apply some settings in the service menu however once i pull up the service menu i cant seem to get anywhere.. i see the menu items on the left but when i use the direction keyes to get into them nothing happens.. what buttons do i push to access the menu items? according to the manula its the the left and right buttons? and the vol up or down to change the values..??
what am i missing here? thank you
post #372 of 387 Old 11-15-2013, 01:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by megloman View Post

ok, great info on here.. I picked up a TC-P42C2 yesterday at the pawnshop for $239 ... not bad i figure since it sells at walmart currently onsales for $499
anyway I'm pleased with it but would like to do some calibrating and apply some settings in the service menu however once i pull up the service menu i cant seem to get anywhere.. i see the menu items on the left but when i use the direction keyes to get into them nothing happens.. what buttons do i push to access the menu items? according to the manula its the the left and right buttons? and the vol up or down to change the values..??
what am i missing here? thank you

Unless you really know what you are doing, I suggest you don't mess with the service menu. Besides, since this is an entry level set, adjustments are pretty limited and you won't be able to get a dramatic difference in PQ. Here are the settings on my 46" C2 in the cinema mode, which is the only mode on these sets that is calibrated close to specification. Since every panel is different, you may need to tweak your settings a bit , but this is a good place to start.

Cinema mode

Contrast: 90

Brightness: 60

Color: 46

Tint: 0

Sharpness: 20

Color Temp: Norm (C2's have a tendency to run a bit warm in the cinema mode)

Cats: Off

Video NR: Off

Ian

post #373 of 387 Old 11-15-2013, 05:05 PM

thank you for your reply, your probably right however I see no harm since i can always change the settings back... if i can squeeze a little better picture performance from this unit then im all for it. i didnt pay much and i like to be able to tweak things. I'm just hesitant to go hitting buttons and thought i would ask first..
post #374 of 387 Old 11-16-2013, 08:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

thank you for your reply, your probably right however I see no harm since i can always change the settings back... if i can squeeze a little better picture performance from this unit then im all for it. i didnt pay much and i like to be able to tweak things. I'm just hesitant to go hitting buttons and thought i would ask first..

If you do, I suggest you write down the defaults. Again, even changes made by a qualified tech won't have much impact on PQ. I recommend a good calibration disc like Spears and Muncil or Disney Wow, to tweak your settings instead. Believe it or not, I've read reviews on this set and the cinema mode is pretty accurate when it comes to ATSC specs.

Ian

post #375 of 387 Old 11-19-2013, 11:02 AM

I used the disney WOW blu ray to calibrate and the picture looks wonderful.
I'm just curious if I can adjust the overscan via the service menu?
post #376 of 387 Old 11-19-2013, 01:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I used the disney WOW blu ray to calibrate and the picture looks wonderful.
I'm just curious if I can adjust the overscan via the service menu?

Not that I know of.

Ian

post #377 of 387 Old 01-13-2014, 08:31 PM

Hey there. I bought one of these TVs used a few weeks ago and am going to be using it attached to an HTPC that I built. The tv runs great and everything, and the HTPC is set up with Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit, but for whatever reason I cannot seem to make the desktop fit to the screen. It's always slightly larger than the viewing area. I've got it set to the native resolution of 1024x768 or whatever, but I still can only see about 95% of the desktop.

The TV's built-in settings for adjusting the screen are pretty pathetic and none of them solved the problem. Is it a video card thing on the computer's end? I've got a Radeon HD 8670D integrated gpu with an AMD processor.... is it a video card thing?

Please help, thanks.

post #378 of 387 Old 01-14-2014, 05:42 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by geefunk40 View Post

Hey there. I bought one of these TVs used a few weeks ago and am going to be using it attached to an HTPC that I built. The tv runs great and everything, and the HTPC is set up with Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit, but for whatever reason I cannot seem to make the desktop fit to the screen. It's always slightly larger than the viewing area. I've got it set to the native resolution of 1024x768 or whatever, but I still can only see about 95% of the desktop.

The TV's built-in settings for adjusting the screen are pretty pathetic and none of them solved the problem. Is it a video card thing on the computer's end? I've got a Radeon HD 8670D integrated gpu with an AMD processor.... is it a video card thing?

Please help, thanks.

Aren't these sets 720P native, and not even a true 720P at that?
post #379 of 387 Old 01-14-2014, 06:33 AM

Could you elaborate on that? I'm not sure.

post #380 of 387 Old 01-14-2014, 07:18 AM

Quote:

I don't recall the details, but as I recall, these sets were 720P, but not true 720P resolution, and as a result, they always seemed to have some overscan present which you could never get rid of. Try a Google search and you should be able to find out the details.
post #381 of 387 Old 01-14-2014, 09:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob_Collins View Post

I don't recall the details, but as I recall, these sets were 720P, but not true 720P resolution, and as a result, they always seemed to have some overscan present which you could never get rid of. Try a Google search and you should be able to find out the details.

The problem with the C2 series is that they have a native resolution of 1024X768, which was common on all 42'' 720p PDP's, including the early lower rez Kuro's. In 2010 all Panasonic 720p PDP's, including the larger 50'' models, adopted this resolution, which was based on a computer format. However, unlike TV's, computers don't have to scale.

Ian

post #382 of 387 Old 01-27-2014, 05:33 PM

Hey guys, I know this is a super old thread, but looks like it's had some recent activity so thought I'd post a question to the owners of this TV for some input. I've been reading through some of the info here and there's some good stuff. Anyways, I recently upgraded my 2008 50" TH-50PX75 Panasonic plasma to a 60" ST60 and have had this old TV just sitting on the floor for a couple months. It's too big for my bedroom, so I threw a "trade" ad up on kijiji and got an offer to trade it for a TC-P42C2, which would be the perfect size for my bedroom, and would replace a 32" LG (1080P) LCD that I currently have in the bedroom. My question is, do you feel this is a good trade? I'm giving up 8" of TV in exchange for a 2 year newer model. Will there be much difference in picture quality between the two sets? I would hope that this one would be better, being 2 years newer. I originally paid around $1000 for my 50" in 2008 and I know this 42" model sold for much less in 2010, but it is newer, and hopefully better? What do you think??? Is it worth a straight swap, or should I ask for something more to sweeten the deal?

post #383 of 387 Old 01-27-2014, 09:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NuXPeR View Post

Hey guys, I know this is a super old thread, but looks like it's had some recent activity so thought I'd post a question to the owners of this TV for some input. I've been reading through some of the info here and there's some good stuff. Anyways, I recently upgraded my 2008 50" TH-50PX75 Panasonic plasma to a 60" ST60 and have had this old TV just sitting on the floor for a couple months. It's too big for my bedroom, so I threw a "trade" ad up on kijiji and got an offer to trade it for a TC-P42C2, which would be the perfect size for my bedroom, and would replace a 32" LG (1080P) LCD that I currently have in the bedroom. My question is, do you feel this is a good trade? I'm giving up 8" of TV in exchange for a 2 year newer model. Will there be much difference in picture quality between the two sets? I would hope that this one would be better, being 2 years newer. I originally paid around $1000 for my 50" in 2008 and I know this 42" model sold for much less in 2010, but it is newer, and hopefully better? What do you think??? Is it worth a straight swap, or should I ask for something more to sweeten the deal?

Don't expect any improvement in picture quality on the C2, which works pretty good in the Cinema mode, but you may need to spend time tweaking it.

Ian
MilkManX and NuXPeR like this.

post #384 of 387 Old 01-28-2014, 05:56 AM

Quote:

Picture quality is going to likely be about the same, but you're getting a set in a size you can use, and getting rid of something that you can't use and only taking up space. Is there really much need for debate about the trade?
NuXPeR likes this.
post #385 of 387 Old 01-28-2014, 08:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 22
Quote:

I recently upgraded my 2008 50" TH-50PX75 Panasonic plasma and got an offer to trade it for a TC-P42C2. I originally paid around $1000 for my 50" in 2008 and I know this 42" model sold for much less in 2010, but it is newer, and hopefully better?

Your TH-50PX75U has a resolution of 1366 x 768, whereas the TC-P42C2 only has a resolution of 1024 x 768. But on a smaller screen, it may not make much difference.
NuXPeR likes this.

That which may be known of God is evident within man, for God has shown it to them, so that they are without excuse. (Romans 1:19-20)
post #386 of 387 Old 01-28-2014, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomwil View Post

Your TH-50PX75U has a resolution of 1366 x 768, whereas the TC-P42C2 only has a resolution of 1024 x 768. But on a smaller screen, it may not make much difference.

It wasn't so much the resolution that concerned me as I know the smaller size of the display will make up for it. My viewing distance will be more than sufficient in that I won't notice any pixels. In comparing the specs on the Panasonic website the main things that stand out are; the C2 has a Dynamic contrast ratio of 2,000,000:1 where the PX75U only lists it as 10,000:1. Shades of Gradation: 6,144 for the C2 while only 3,072 for the PX75U. The C2 also mentions having a 600Hz Sub-field Drive where mine does not. Should this not mean that the C2 would technically provide a better picture with higher contrast?

TH-50PX75U:

http://shop.panasonic.com/shop/model/TH-50PX75U?t=specs&support#tabs

TC-P42C2:

http://shop.panasonic.com/shop/model/TC-P42C2?t=specs&support#tabs

post #387 of 387 Old 01-28-2014, 09:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

It wasn't so much the resolution that concerned me as I know the smaller size of the display will make up for it. My viewing distance will be more than sufficient in that I won't notice any pixels. In comparing the specs on the Panasonic website the main things that stand out are; the C2 has a Dynamic contrast ratio of 2,000,000:1 where the PX75U only lists it as 10,000:1. Shades of Gradation: 6,144 for the C2 while only 3,072 for the PX75U. The C2 also mentions having a 600Hz Sub-field Drive where mine does not. Should this not mean that the C2 would technically provide a better picture with higher contrast?

TH-50PX75U:
http://shop.panasonic.com/shop/model/TH-50PX75U?t=specs&support#tabs

TC-P42C2:
http://shop.panasonic.com/shop/model/TC-P42C2?t=specs&support#tabs

Forget about the specs. My bother inlaw has a C1 and I bought a newer C2. Despite the better contrast and grayscale, they look the same in the cinema mode. However, the C2 has more posterization and false contouring issues in the custom mode.

Ian
NuXPeR likes this.

Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page