Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 387 Old 11-11-2010, 09:41 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by machani View Post

The TC-P46X24 at Costco is the identical TV to the TC-P46C2, except that the X24 also has anti-reflective screen while the C2 doesn't.

I would like to correct this. There is no 46" X24. Costco sells the 42" and 50" X24 models and they are identical to the 42" and 50" C2 models, with the added AR filter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMcDougal View Post

Does the AR filter on the TC-42PX24 make the brightness less than the C2? Also, is 42" a good size tv for a view distance of 9 feet away? I plan on getting the X24 or C2 but i may get the S2 if the price is right on BF. Also, does the AR filter take away from the picture quality?

Not sure about AR filter's affect on brightness, but I seriously doubt the AR filter takes away from the picture quality, given the success of the S2 which has the AR filter.

TV size and viewing distance: the rule of thumb (suggested by Amazon.com) is Viewing distance should be 1.5X to 3.0X the screen size. Therefore for a 42" TV, the view distance of 63" (5.25') to 126" (10.5') is good. (I believe this really holds for 1080P screens, though. For 720P, I feel 2X to 3X is the ideal, given that at 1.5X you can notice the pixel structure).

A 42" screen should definitely work at 9' viewing distance.

C N Machani
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 387 Old 11-12-2010, 06:56 PM

Hey guys just picked up a TC-P42C2 42" television.

I've never had an HD TV or plasma TV before.

Should I do anything to break it in? I didn't get it calibrated or anything. Should I get a DVD thing before I use my Ps3?

Any advice would be helpful, because I know nothing about T.V.s
post #183 of 387 Old 11-12-2010, 07:10 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beasly3 View Post

Hey guys just picked up a TC-P42C2 42" television.

I've never had an HD TV or plasma TV before.

Should I do anything to break it in? I didn't get it calibrated or anything. Should I get a DVD thing before I use my Ps3?

Any advice would be helpful, because I know nothing about T.V.s

It's optional. You could also change the contrast and brightness to 50 and not keep a still image for too long. This goes with tv logos as well. Usually it is most susceptible to burn-in is the first 100 hours.
post #184 of 387 Old 11-12-2010, 11:53 PM

Keep it at around 50, and run the sweeping white bar after gaming (or any time you have a static image for long.)
post #185 of 387 Old 11-13-2010, 12:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELVATO View Post
Keep it at around 50, and run the sweeping white bar after gaming (or any time you have a static image for long.)
what is the "sweeping white bar"? Sorry, noobie here
post #186 of 387 Old 11-13-2010, 02:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryInRI View Post
Chris,

A calibration guide by Mistah_g: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=YF6CZQLG

or http://69.160.151.75/static/attachme...ationguide.pdf

Ignore where he says to get into the custom mode. That step is unnecessary.

Larry
Does this work for the C2? I started doing it but realized that it is for the S1.

Help please? Thanks
post #187 of 387 Old 11-13-2010, 10:31 AM

How well does this tv play blu-rays? i cant seem to find support for 24p in the specs.
post #188 of 387 Old 11-13-2010, 01:45 PM

Quote:

what is the "sweeping white bar"? Sorry, noobie here

It is part of the anti-image retention features. Check the manual.

Quote:

Does this work for the C2? I started doing it but realized that it is for the S1.

Yes, the service menu is the same on the C2. Check my post (#113) on page 4 of this thread. I am using "D-Nice's" settings for the S2 and they work well on the C2.

Quote:

How well does this tv play blu-rays? i cant seem to find support for 24p in the specs.

The C2 TV supports 24p playback via 3:2 pulldown. (Cinema is 24fps. Video is 60fps. The 24 cinematic fps are converted to video 60fps, with alternating cinema frames as 3 and 2 video frames).

The C2 does not support 24p Cinematic playback, which is actually outputs full 24 fps. You need to move higher up the Panasonic Plasma line.

C N Machani
post #189 of 387 Old 11-13-2010, 01:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 144
Quote:

Help please? Thanks

Yes, it is the same for the C2 -- and for grayscale adjustments on all Panasonics.

Larry
post #190 of 387 Old 11-13-2010, 02:26 PM

Quote:

It is part of the anti-image retention features. Check the manual.

Yes, the service menu is the same on the C2. Check my post (#113) on page 4 of this thread. I am using "D-Nice's" settings for the S2 and they work well on the C2.

The C2 TV supports 24p playback via 3:2 pulldown. (Cinema is 24fps. Video is 60fps. The 24 cinematic fps are converted to video 60fps, with alternating cinema frames as 3 and 2 video frames).

The C2 does not support 24p Cinematic playback, which is actually outputs full 24 fps. You need to move higher up the Panasonic Plasma line.

ok, there are other plasmas models that support 24p that are in the same price range, is this a big deal to get or is it another feature that is really meaningless? also, how does the c2 look with a blu-ray being it converts it?
post #191 of 387 Old 11-15-2010, 10:43 AM

Quote:

ok, there are other plasmas models that support 24p that are in the same price range, is this a big deal to get or is it another feature that is really meaningless? also, how does the c2 look with a blu-ray being it converts it?

anyone?
post #192 of 387 Old 11-15-2010, 11:58 AM

I am looking to purchase a 50" C2 model for a replacement unit at work. The existing unit is 6 years old and uses a DVI and separate audio input. I'd like to get an adapter to make the DVI into an HDMI and keep my sound separate. Can I plug in a separate audio input when using HDMI as a video input on this model? It would save me a good bit of work if so.
post #193 of 387 Old 11-15-2010, 02:58 PM

Quote:

No expert here, but the differences should be very subtle and not much a deal for most people. Videophiles and motion picture purists will love the fact that a "24p Cinematic" capable TV will display their 24p Blu-Ray disks pretty much like what you see on a real movie theater screen, with some technological caveats. You would need to do a search through the Blu-Ray forums and also the wiki page on 24p for more information.

Also, many new HD camcorders offer 24p recording (again, there are some technological caveats here too, I believe - that some of these "24p" camcorders do capture video in 60fps and record the output in 24p after some conversion).

I don't have a Blu-Ray player at home, but I have seen a C2 in the showroom playing a Blu-Ray and it looked excellent from 8' away.

At home I have the new Apple TV, which outputs 720p and the movies look awesome. I am so pleased with the Apple TV that I have scrapped plans of buying a Blu-Ray player for the near future.

C N Machani
post #194 of 387 Old 11-15-2010, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bzss7x View Post

I am looking to purchase a 50" C2 model for a replacement unit at work. The existing unit is 6 years old and uses a DVI and separate audio input. I'd like to get an adapter to make the DVI into an HDMI and keep my sound separate. Can I plug in a separate audio input when using HDMI as a video input on this model? It would save me a good bit of work if so.

I have my C2 hooked up with pretty much your configuration to an old Motorola cable box. I am using a HDMI to DVI-D cable. Exactly this one. (Make sure the HDMI to DVI cable is the right one that matches your cable box. There is difference between DVI-I and DVI-D. Most cables seem to be DVI-D but be sure to check).

I have the optical audio out from my cable box going to my digital external receiver. Unfortunately, the C2 only allows analog audio (RCA) inputs and no digital in. If you don't have an external digital receiver, then you are limited to using analog audio inputs if you connect your TV using a HDMI to DVI-D cable.

C N Machani
post #195 of 387 Old 11-17-2010, 06:13 PM

Does anyone know why I can't change a few of my settings?

I can't change x.v. color, color matrix, or Black level

The other options are blue but these ones are "grayed out". It just skips right over them and won't let me change them.

Help plz. I want to change my settings to the recommended settings.
post #196 of 387 Old 11-17-2010, 07:29 PM

I have the Panasonic TC-42C2...

Does anyone know why I can't change a few of my settings?

I can't change x.v. color, color matrix, or Black level

The other options are blue but these ones are "grayed out". It just skips right over them and won't let me change them.

Help plz. I really don't want to waste the blacks right now because it is a new T.V. and it is set on dark instead of light.
post #197 of 387 Old 11-17-2010, 09:16 PM

Does it let you change the settings on other sources?

No highs, no lows, must be Blose!
post #198 of 387 Old 11-17-2010, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK1997 View Post

Does it let you change the settings on other sources?

I can change everything except x.v. color, color matrix, and the black level. When I scroll down it just skips over these options. They are a light gray color instead of the standard blue.

I am wondering if it has anything to do with me not setting up the HD yet? All the settings are under Standard Definition because I have to get the HD box tomorrow. I don't know if that would have any affect though(I am a noob)
post #199 of 387 Old 11-17-2010, 10:11 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I can change everything except x.v. color, color matrix, and the black level. When I scroll down it just skips over these options. They are a light gray color instead of the standard blue.

I am wondering if it has anything to do with me not setting up the HD yet? All the settings are under Standard Definition because I have to get the HD box tomorrow. I don't know if that would have any affect though(I am a noob)

I think you would have to go under SM Offsets. I wouldn't mess with those settings though. There's a reason they don't make it easy to get to.
post #200 of 387 Old 11-18-2010, 09:07 AM

Quote:

You can't change those settings because of your source. For example, your color matrix is probably set to SD and its greyed out an uneditable. That's because you are probably feeding the TV a 480i source. You are not allowed to use the HD color matrix on SD sources, and that's by design. Likewise you cannot use SD color matrix on HD sources. The only resolution where you can choose between color matrixes is 480p.

You'll have to use an HD source to change those settings.
post #201 of 387 Old 11-18-2010, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PreventerWind View Post

You can't change those settings because of your source. For example, your color matrix is probably set to SD and its greyed out an uneditable. That's because you are probably feeding the TV a 480i source. You are not allowed to use the HD color matrix on SD sources, and that's by design. Likewise you cannot use SD color matrix on HD sources. The only resolution where you can choose between color matrixes is 480p.

You'll have to use an HD source to change those settings.

Thanks for the help.

I was about 90% sure of this because today when I changed input to play my Ps3, I was able to change the black level, ect. I also checked out HDMI and I could change that one too.

So when I pick up my HD box, I should always view the T.V. under HDMI or the Component inputs? Or should I view only HD channels in say HDMI and standard definition in the regular "TV" input?

Thanks
post #202 of 387 Old 11-18-2010, 03:36 PM

Quote:

So when I pick up my HD box, I should always view the T.V. under HDMI or the Component inputs? Or should I view only HD channels in say HDMI and standard definition in the regular "TV" input?

Thanks

Presumably your HD cable box includes both HD and SD channels. Simply use the HDMI because you will be feeding it a fully digital signal. Component video is analog. With component video, your cable box converts the Digital signal to Analog and then the TV to goes through an additional Analog to Digital conversion step.

Note that component video can handle HD in 720p or 1080i, whereas HDMI handles 1080p.

I have an upscaling Panasonic DVD player, which has both component video (480p) and HDMI (upscaled to 1080p). The DVD picture on the C2 definitely looks better with HDMI. The C2 scales both sources to 720p, but does a much better job of downscaling 1080p to 720p than upscaling 480p to 720p.

C N Machani
post #203 of 387 Old 11-18-2010, 04:35 PM

Quote:

Presumably your HD cable box includes both HD and SD channels. Simply use the HDMI because you will be feeding it a fully digital signal. Component video is analog. With component video, your cable box converts the Digital signal to Analog and then the TV to goes through an additional Analog to Digital conversion step.

Note that component video can handle HD in 720p or 1080i, whereas HDMI handles 1080p.

I have an upscaling Panasonic DVD player, which has both component video (480p) and HDMI (upscaled to 1080p). The DVD picture on the C2 definitely looks better with HDMI. The C2 scales both sources to 720p, but does a much better job of downscaling 1080p to 720p than upscaling 480p to 720p.

Thanks for the help.

Yeah, once I got the HD box it all started to make sense. This is my first HDTV, that is why I was so confused. I didn't want to mess anything up with the quality of the T.V.

I am about to buy a Ps3 HDMI cable to watch Blu rays on. From my understanding this will increase the quality of the Blu Rays I play.

Is this T.V. capable of supporting my laptop? I like to watch streams of NHL and NBA games because I am at school and I don't get the games. Would I need to just buy an HDMI cable to do this? I have an HDMI port on my laptop.
post #204 of 387 Old 11-18-2010, 04:55 PM

can anyone recommend a good cheap wall mount for the c2 plasma? ive seen a few for around $20.00 so if i could stay around this price that would be great
post #205 of 387 Old 11-19-2010, 12:50 PM

Quote:

Is this T.V. capable of supporting my laptop? I like to watch streams of NHL and NBA games because I am at school and I don't get the games. Would I need to just buy an HDMI cable to do this? I have an HDMI port on my laptop.

Yes, definitely. Just get a HDMI cable that is long enough.

C N Machani
post #206 of 387 Old 11-20-2010, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neoshredder27 View Post

With the holidays coming up, I would wait to see if the S2 price will drop.

Oh yes it will, and it's started already. A local electronics store chain just had a door crasher only 5 per store sale for $399 for the TC-P42C2, down from it's regular $488. Walmart had it advertised for $498, but in store has it for $478.

Having no intention of rushing the door crasher, I managed to convince my local Walmart to price match the $399. Though the ads had the same model number, the Walmart box had TC-42PC2 as its model number.

It's currently up in the bedroom running it's break in slides.

** Addendum - this Sunday's flyers have the TC-P42C2 at $448 at Ultimate Electronics, a local electronics store.
post #207 of 387 Old 11-21-2010, 06:31 PM

Picked up a 50" C2 tonight at HHGregg for $599.99, though I won't get to unbox and set up until next sunday when I get into my new apt. Will report back if I have any issues First plasma for me, so hopefully all goes well!

One question, i've seen a lot about burn in from the symbol at the bottom on some channels...does this mean if i'm watching a channel with their symbol at the bottom that i will need to change the station every so often to prevent it from burning in?? Seems like kind of a pain

Also, i'm wondering if I made the right decision on getting the 50". The 46" was 499.99 and the 50" was 100 more. The viewing distance will be about 6-7 ft, will the 50" be alright or should I go back and exchange for the 46"? I know they're both only 720p so i don't want the bigger screen to look bad with my viewing distance, will there be a huge difference between the 2? I will be watching blu-rays/dvd and gaming from my PS3 primarily
post #208 of 387 Old 11-21-2010, 07:05 PM

Just picked up a C2 50" locally at HHGREGG for $549 With a $50 coupon. Excellent value. Picture is impressive in OTA tv and straight up DVD player. I just burried a 46" Samsung Dlp. Hopefully this one will last more than 5 years. I could replace this one 4-5 times for what i paid for the Samsung. I just couldn't see spending $500/yr on a tv. again.
post #209 of 387 Old 11-22-2010, 10:23 AM

Just picked up a 46" C2. So far im liking it, im still in the break-in phase so ill report more later. For the money, i dont see how ANYONE could go wrong with this tv.
post #210 of 387 Old 11-22-2010, 11:12 AM

Quote:

Just picked up a 46" C2. So far im liking it, im still in the break-in phase so ill report more later. For the money, i dont see how ANYONE could go wrong with this tv.

I picked up the 42" about 7-10 days ago. I love it so far. I've been pretty careful, but I haven't seen any image retention. And I have watched T.V. for like 12 hours straight when I was sick.

I didn't think I would make it through the break in period but somehow I did. 115 hours of only slides.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page