Red snow on Panasonic TH-50PZ800U - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 15 Old 05-02-2010, 05:29 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I suspect I'm screwed here but all of the sudden we've been seeing intermittent attacks of red snow on our Panasonic TH-50PZ800U. The set is a bit over a year and a half old so I am also afraid I'm out of warranty.

Pictures attached. Service menu is shown as I was also looking at how many hours on the TV (862). Service menu was sometimes affected and sometimes not even while the main video was being affected.

Video is being fed by my Denon receiver via HDMI however the snow persists to a non-HDMI input as well (tested PC and an analog input with nothing attached).

I've read reports on the forums of similar issues on LG sets but hadn't seen other Panasonic owners complaining. Anyone else seen similar issues? Anything to try before calling Panasonic/service tech?

Brian
LL
LL
LL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 05-31-2010, 03:12 AM

Hello, do you fix the problem?
post #3 of 15 Old 06-03-2010, 08:52 AM - Thread Starter

Unfortunately not. I've been living with it for the time being (it goes in and out so sometimes its fine -- still very frustrating as it never seems to work when I most want it to :-)

I did later find a Youtube video of a similar issue with another Panasonic plasma and they reported it was just a bad solder joint somewhere (repaired under warranty in his case):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iRODN...&feature=email

I might take a peek inside of mine before bringing it in but I'll admit home repair on a TV this expensive doesn't make me comfortable.

I did call a couple of authorized repair techs and they seemed to think it would be a $400-500 repair. However, they didn't sound familiar with this issue on the Panasonic plasmas and were just ballparking on guesses of the components that might be failing given the behavior.
post #4 of 15 Old 06-03-2010, 02:23 PM
EG3

Liked: 17
Your pictures say it all beautifully. This defect is, in tv repair terms, called "solarization" or solarized video". According to Panasonic, this is caused by a defective 'A-Board'. (I say "according to" because this, in some other models was caused by a bad digital board).
Replacing the A-Board is fairly straight forward and easy if you can find one. Panasonic probably wants about $250 for one depending on your exact model. Your model has 2 versions. One with an 'A' at the end of the model number and one without. To find which one you have, you need to look at the back. While facing the back, look towards the lower left side where the back cover begins to round to the front. There will be a small sticker. If the sticker is black with white lettering, it is a 'TH50PZ800U'.
PART#: TNPH0731ACS
If the sticker is white with black lettering it is and will read: 'TH50PZ800UA'.
PART#: TNPH0767ACS
This is important because the A-Boards are different and CANNOT be interchanged.
The estimate you were given is sounds about right. (No more than $400)
Good luck and let us know how it all works out.
post #5 of 15 Old 06-03-2010, 05:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by EG3 View Post

Replacing the A-Board is fairly straight forward and easy if you can find one. Panasonic probably wants about $250 for one depending on your exact model.

eBay appears to be a good source for these boards.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=260533962626

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=290396672888

That which may be known of God is evident within man, for God has shown it to them, so that they are without excuse. (Romans 1:19-20)
post #6 of 15 Old 06-06-2010, 06:50 AM

Hello pooleb, if you can remove yourself the backcover of the tv, you will find in the main power supply at the center of the tv, at the top left of this board you should find 3big capacitors of 220v and 900uf, verify if those caps are bulged, watch the top of the caps, they should be flat, not rounded, do this before replacing any board.
post #7 of 15 Old 06-06-2010, 06:58 AM

PM me and i will send you an image to your email
post #8 of 15 Old 06-06-2010, 07:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by adid View Post

PM me and i will send you an image to your email

Please try again. I think after 3 posts you are allowed attachments and links. And, your attachment would help many more people than just the OP.

That which may be known of God is evident within man, for God has shown it to them, so that they are without excuse. (Romans 1:19-20)
post #9 of 15 Old 06-06-2010, 07:36 AM

You should definitely do other tests, but if the capacitors are bad, that may be the source of your problems, always remember if you change the power board, adjust all voltages to the panel voltages specs, sometimes people buy on ebay replacements boards, that in most cases fit 3 or 5 models of the same brand, but they work at differents voltages, so If you have skills working with tv or electronic equip. you can swap the caps just removing the p board from the tv chassis, Always remember to take all precautions with lethal voltages, as a WARNING NOTE TV voltages can be extremly dangerous, If you dont know how to work with them, please take your equipment to a technichian, Your life is in danger with high voltages!. Anyway, before removing the power supply board check the V-sus voltages at the test points on the SS and SC boards, input white video signal to the panel, set the picture controls in picture menu to vivid, normal set, and aspect in full, then check on the panel label information located at the top left the voltage specs of the vsus, ve, If those are fine go to the A board, good luck!
post #10 of 15 Old 06-06-2010, 08:20 AM

I forget if the problem is a cold solder you can give some hits and shakes to the tv and you will know, but I dont think is a cold solder.
post #11 of 15 Old 08-05-2010, 06:18 PM - Thread Starter

Whoa.. weird. I swear I had subscribed to my own thread and yet I never saw any of these messages. :/

Thank you all for the enlightened replies. You have proven yet again what a valuable forum this is. The problem continued to increase in frequency so I eventually gave up and brought it in to a tech.

The tech and Panasonic were unable to decide if it was definitively the A or the D board so they ordered both parts that way they could replace whichever it turned out to be. In my case, it was the D board (P/N TNPA 4439). It has now been replaced and my TV is beautiful once more. Hopefully it will stay that way this time.

I was also curious if the caps had gone (I've repaired a projector when its cap had failed in the past) but in the end wasn't eager enough to open up my TV. I probably would have though if I had seen the replies earlier pointing at specific ones... doh. Ah well.

Thanks again for the support everyone. Apologies for not seeing this sooner.

Brian
post #12 of 15 Old 05-08-2013, 05:17 PM

Hi Pooleb - thanks for posting about the 'red snow' - I am currently experiencing the same issue on my Panasonic model TH-50PZ800U. The tech told me the same thing - about $300-400 in repairs. I have to ask - did the red snow come back? I'm trying to decide if I should fix it or get a new one since it is 5 years old. Any feedback will be helpful! Thanks! Maria
post #13 of 15 Old 05-10-2013, 05:50 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 87
Reseat the LVDS cable. I picked up the 46" TH-42PZ80B for £71 on a large online auction place with a similar fault affecting half the screen with a blue tint. I reseated and secured the cable down, and now I have a 46" 1080p Panasonic plasma which works really well and cost very little.

This is -NOT- an A board defect.

There is a minimal chance it is the D board, however, that is very rare.

The LVDS cable runs from the A board to D board, and it's the thin red multistranded cable. Just unplug it on the D board end (you can do this on the 46" by getting your hand down there and carefully unplugging it) then plug it in. Reseat it on the A board end too. The power MUST be off when doing this! That is, completely unplugged!
post #14 of 15 Old 09-27-2013, 11:12 AM

OMG! Am I glad I read your post! I'm a big fan of reseating contacts. I have solved problems with computers doing the same. I have a this exact Panasonic TH-50Z80U with the exact problem. I almost ordered parts. Before I read the post I used the same approach reseating contacts, but missed the other end of the LVDS cable since it was buried in the back. Thanks to you I found the correct contact to focus on! Success, my TV is 5 years old and no more intense "mosaic red", it's back to that great crisp picture. Thanks again! Sal

post #15 of 15 Old 09-28-2013, 04:10 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 87
Great to hear. Another TV saved from the dump.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic Viera Th 50pz800u 50 Inch 1080p Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page