Viewing distance opinion with new plasma, wall mount or tv stand?.... - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 05-03-2010, 10:58 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey guys, wanted to see what you think. Just ordered a new 50" 1080p plasma and was planning on putting in on the wall using a wall mount, only thing is now i realized is thats gonna make it about 2 feet further in. Im already about 10 feet back if its gonna be on a stand, if i put it on the wall, almost 12 feet. Is that gonna be too far for my TV? Id like to put on the wall for looks but not if its gonna effect my viewing quality
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 05-03-2010, 11:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
You need to sit at 6.5ft to see all the detail on a 1080p display of that size.
post #3 of 11 Old 05-03-2010, 11:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Yeah you need to be sitting half that distance for a 50" screen. If you're going to sit 12 feet away you should be looking at projector screens that'll put a 100" picture on your wall. At twelve feet with a 50" screen you won't even be able to tell the difference between standard and high definition.

Click here for my home theater setup
post #4 of 11 Old 05-03-2010, 12:25 PM

If your budget limits you to a 50", and your interested in a wall mount, you might look at the Monoprice articulating mount (with solid aluminum arms). That mount, when fully extended, will allow your TV to be about 20" or so from the wall. If you want it closer, just pull it out some.

IMO, a 50" could work from 10ft. away just fine. I sit about 8ft. at my primary location with a 50" and I've never once thought "I need to be sitting closer, I can't tell if this is HD?" I also have seating 5-6' away and for some people that's too close. You want the image to have an impact and see all detail, etc., but you also don't want to be looking all over the screen to actually 'take in' the image.

P.S. if you're married, your wife would probably not be too keen on having an IMAX theater in your living room.
post #5 of 11 Old 05-03-2010, 01:03 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the input guys!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhythmic View Post

P.S. if you're married, your wife would probably not be too keen on having an IMAX theater in your living room.

lol
Ive always wanted a man cave but here in phoenix basements pretty much dont exist
post #6 of 11 Old 05-03-2010, 03:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

If your budget limits you to a 50", and your interested in a wall mount, you might look at the Monoprice articulating mount (with solid aluminum arms). That mount, when fully extended, will allow your TV to be about 20" or so from the wall. If you want it closer, just pull it out some.

IMO, a 50" could work from 10ft. away just fine. I sit about 8ft. at my primary location with a 50" and I've never once thought "I need to be sitting closer, I can't tell if this is HD?" I also have seating 5-6' away and for some people that's too close. You want the image to have an impact and see all detail, etc., but you also don't want to be looking all over the screen to actually 'take in' the image.

5' would be too close, but sitting at 6 feet does not require you turn your head side to side to see a 50" screen. At 10ft you're not seeing the improvement of 1080p over 720p, and upconverted DVDs are going to start looking not too shabby at 12ft.

post #7 of 11 Old 05-04-2010, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanbauer View Post

5' would be too close, but sitting at 6 feet does not require you turn your head side to side to see a 50" screen. At 10ft you're not seeing the improvement of 1080p over 720p, and upconverted DVDs are going to start looking not too shabby at 12ft.

I love the 'recommended' viewing distances commonly found these days, because I can say to my wife "See, from where we sit this is the smallest TV we're supposed to have!" haha

I'm all for a big a$$ screen, and an enveloping experience, but from my experience, 99% of people (aka novices) would never think to get a 50" and sit 6ft. away. IMO, most people would think #1) that the TV is way too big for the room (poor taste and becomes the centerpiece of the whole room), and #2) they shouldn't sit so close as to make their living room a movie theater.

It may be different for bachelors, but I don't know any women that want a 50" tv 6ft. from their couch.
post #8 of 11 Old 05-04-2010, 07:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Sad but true.

Heck, Lifetime Movie Network hasn't even discovered HD yet.
post #9 of 11 Old 05-04-2010, 08:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
my gf loves a 60" at 8 feet away
post #10 of 11 Old 05-04-2010, 09:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I'm all for a big a$$ screen, and an enveloping experience, but from my experience, 99% of people (aka novices) would never think to get a 50" and sit 6ft. away. IMO, most people would think #1) that the TV is way too big for the room (poor taste and becomes the centerpiece of the whole room), and #2) they shouldn't sit so close as to make their living room a movie theater.

It may be different for bachelors, but I don't know any women that want a 50" tv 6ft. from their couch.

I would direct those people to this very good article. There's nothing wrong with not being a home theatre enthusiast, but if people aren't going to either sit close enough or get the right size screen for their preferred viewing distance, they could save themselves a lot of money by getting a cheap, low-resolution screen.

post #11 of 11 Old 05-04-2010, 09:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaddix View Post

my gf loves a 60" at 8 feet away

Just wait until the GF turns into the OL.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page