Unsuitable walls to mount plasma. Need advice on a good tabletop stand for 42" Panny - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 05-04-2010, 10:08 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi guys, I just moved with my 42" plasma for the fifth time, and it looks like my luck has run out. I've always installed it on the wall, running the cables in a very simple fashion behind the wall. But this apartment is very, very old and the walls are unsuitable for mounting the plasma.

I am looking for a simple mount that would allow me to put my Panasonic on a desk. (with no wall mounting required) Since I'm not sure what the typical plasma looks like on the back, here are some pictures to give you an idea of what I need.

Can someone recommend a very slim mounting solution for this Panasonic TH-42PHD7UY? I only have two cables running down from the plasma - power and HD cables. My desk is not deep and I want something very slim.

Because of anticipated wife rage, I am looking to get something ASAP :P

here is the back of the TV, showing the four mounting knobs.

closeup of a mounting knob.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 05-04-2010, 10:18 AM - Thread Starter

I should also note that the Plasma has two 'female' connectors on the bottom

Prefer something industrial looking, dark metal. Thanks again!!
post #3 of 9 Old 05-04-2010, 10:47 AM - Thread Starter

would this work?

or possibly this?
post #4 of 9 Old 05-04-2010, 01:03 PM - Thread Starter

Hi I'm just bumping this thread in case anyone can help me. Thanks!
post #5 of 9 Old 05-04-2010, 02:16 PM

For the price of those, wouldn't you just be better off picking up a small stand with a floating mount?

I guess if you already have the desk or don't have a room for a stand, but I think that would be my first choice. I know the one Z-line stand I have been looking at is only $199 and it holds up to a 50 inch plasma.

Of course with a 42 you could go with something even smaller and cheaper like this one.
post #6 of 9 Old 05-04-2010, 02:54 PM - Thread Starter

thanks those look nice. will they work with my plasma?

unfortunately however, i live in manhattan and am dealing with some very specific space requirements. because i found out today that my walls do not have studs (super old place) i have to proceed with plan b. plan b means that the plasma has to sit on top of a desk. bummer!

just trying to see if any of these stands will definitely work with my plasma. not sure if there are going to be compatibility issues
post #7 of 9 Old 05-04-2010, 04:08 PM
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 476
Quote:
Originally Posted by billd View Post

....I am looking for a simple mount that would allow me to put my Panasonic on a desk......Can someone recommend a very slim mounting solution for this Panasonic TH-42PHD7UY? My desk is not deep and I want something very slim.

There are three Panasonic table stands that will work on a Panasonic Pro monitor like you have.

TY-ST07K "duck foot" style that was made for the earliest Pro models.

TY-ST42PA20 (silver w/black trim) that originally came with the 2003-2004 Consumer models

TY-ST08K (all black) that is made specifically for the newer 42"/50" Pro Models (it's the exact same as the TY-ST42PA20 except for the all black color)

None of the consumer model stands from 2005-2010 will work on a Pro model despite what the Ebay sellers claim in their auctions so be aware of that.

Another option is the aftermarket Premier PSD-TTS/B universal table stand that uses the TV's wall mounting holes in the back. This one is height-adjustable and is available with a black base. I've seen them online for as low as a hundred bucks or so.

Those "mounting knobs" are probably screwed into the threaded mounting holes. They most likely were part of the wall bracket system you had. You should be able to remove them, revealing threaded female inserts that will accept the standard metric mounting screws (i think they're M8 x 40mm).

http://www.premiermountscentral.com/...TS-PM1251.html

Randy
TC-P55ST60, TC-P50GT50, TC-P46G10, TH-42PZ700U, TH-42PX50U, HP LC2600N, TiVo Series3, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR333, URC R40 Remote.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Gallery -
post #8 of 9 Old 05-04-2010, 06:25 PM - Thread Starter

thanks so much for the response! I'll definitely look into the after market system and see how it compares to the original Panasonic systems.
post #9 of 9 Old 08-23-2010, 11:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWalters View Post

There are three Panasonic table stands that will work on a Panasonic Pro monitor like you have.
TY-ST08K (all black) that is made specifically for the newer 42"/50" Pro Models (it's the exact same as the TY-ST42PA20 except for the all black color)

sorry for waking up this thread... does any one know if the above stand TY-ST08 works for a *real old* model: TH-42PWD3 ? (yes, 3rd gen, that's more than 10ys old).

From the above post, I have the impression it works too. However when I talked to a Panasonic "customer service" guy, he said no it does not work. HOWEVER I'm not convinced at all that panasonic guy actually knows *anything*, as it seems to me he simply had no knowledge whatsoever on this old model. (For example he also said the ST-08 does not work with the 7th gen) I think the ppl here at this forum are far more knowledgeable than him.

The original stand model for the PWD3 was TY-ST42PT3 I think.

Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks !
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page