LG PK750/PK950 Edge-Enhancement Filter - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 05-06-2010, 02:38 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
To those of you who have either of these models, how noticeable is this issue?

It seems like something that should be easily fixed by a firmware update; has anyone written directly to LG asking them to resolve this? If so, what has their response been?

I find these sets to be extremely compelling options, and knowing that LG is aware of, and plans to address these concerns would likely make the purchasing decision a "no-brainer".

In short, if I purchase one of these sets, what do you think the chances are that LG will release a fix? If slim, do you think the issue is bothersome enough to warrant ignoring these models as options all together?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 07-24-2010, 01:42 PM

If you're watching movies, sd/hd channels, playing games, viewing media(pix, videos, widgets, etc) then you won't even notice anything at all. The only time I noticed was when I connected the MacBook Pro through to an HDMI display port. I didn't set the label to PC yet. You do see some artifacts against text and you do have to look at it closely to see them. After setting the label as "PC" for the HDMI input (the screen will quickly flash to black and switch to this mode), no sharpening problems appear. Even in the non-PC-label mode, I don't even mind it and will probably will not notice it if I didn't know about the post-processing.

The PK950 has a lot of text on the menu UI and interestingly there are no artifacts apparent on the text. Good news but strange and I just assume that the text content on the UI menu are probably images. I hope this helps.
post #3 of 7 Old 07-24-2010, 03:22 PM

Liked: 16
I have an European PK550 which has the same image processing bug (or feature, call it what you like). The easiest way to see it is use the thing as a computer monitor, everybody can spot the haloing and ringing around text etc.

But unlike the previous poster, I wouldn't announce the bug to be completely harmless while watching moving picture. It seems to blur certain colors, for example, human faces can look a bit unnatural sometimes, even if you toggle the sharpness down to minimize the effect.

The only way to get rid of it is to rename the input to PC and set the source to output 1080p60. Unfortunately, this bypasses the colour space options, so what you eventually get is over-saturated picture without the sharpening issue.

I really hope that LG decides to fix this issue.
post #4 of 7 Old 07-26-2010, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Collusion View Post

I have an European PK550 which has the same image processing bug (or feature, call it what you like). The easiest way to see it is use the thing as a computer monitor, everybody can spot the haloing and ringing around text etc.

But unlike the previous poster, I wouldn't announce the bug to be completely harmless while watching moving picture. It seems to blur certain colors, for example, human faces can look a bit unnatural sometimes, even if you toggle the sharpness down to minimize the effect.

The only way to get rid of it is to rename the input to PC and set the source to output 1080p60. Unfortunately, this bypasses the colour space options, so what you eventually get is over-saturated picture without the sharpening issue.

I really hope that LG decides to fix this issue.

Just to be clear, I also want it fixed and waiting for the pk750 review with the firmware upgrade. As much as I want to get bluetooth working for the NA pk950 (c'mon why disable bluetooth for NA???), access to the THX settings through a service menu change, finding the best calibration for the best black level and shadow details. Having the option to turn it off is a good thing. I know how annoying it can be to invest on something expensive and not maximize use of it.

I've had the pk950 for almost 2 weeks now and it's just that it's really hard to tell that it's there from 10-12ft away. My opinion. I'm not a videophile and I don't have a pk550 to know the difference.

How about this? I really like to get LG to fix this and get a better example of this on all LG plasmas. Can you post a way for me to reproduce this bug easily with non-PC content but with movies and such. We can post our calibrated settings and do comparison on the edge sharpening. This way we can show the edge sharpening in all LG plasmas?
post #5 of 7 Old 07-26-2010, 11:05 PM

By the way, I only have the following AV devices and currently do not have a Blue-ray player yet:

XBOX360
Roku HD Player
Cable Box
DVD Player
PS2
Wii

We can probably do comparisons with DVD movies first until I get a blue-ray player....still convincing my wife =). I think the easiest to use for comparisons are picture images we can view through the DLNA or USB interface. Everybody else can use it as reference for all HDTVs. I think we all know how the sharpening affects text content. What I'm interested in is how it actually affects non-text content like pictures of people, architecture, and stuff.

Does anyone have suggestions on what picture images we can use or videos we can use?
post #6 of 7 Old 08-06-2010, 08:20 PM

For the US 50PK950, I did notice some edge enhancement from 2ft to 3ft away from the panel. I was watching a free preview of Centurion from Vudu Netcast using the highest quality HDX. At the movie opening (prologue), there's text content that have edge enhancement.

But from 10ft away, I can't even tell it's there. It's there up close but cannot see it from normal viewing distance. Can anyone confirm this with the free Vudu preview of Centurion? Watch for the prologue text during the free 2min preview. Thanks.
post #7 of 7 Old 08-31-2010, 07:05 AM

Just called LG customer service and they still wont acknowledge any form of a edge enhancement issue.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page