Insignia 42" Plasma NS-42P650A11 @ Best Buy - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #181 of 333 Old 09-02-2010, 08:16 PM
Senior Member
 
ksbarnz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 341
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I've had this TV for about a month now, and decided I'd give it a go calibrating it tonight. I used an i1 Display 2 for my meter, ColorHCFR for the calibration program, and the AVS HD 709 disk for the calibration patterns. I used an LG BD550 hooked up via HDMI to run the patterns. Gray scale calibrated nicely with the controls available in the service menu. Unlike others who have posted, I adjusted grayscale under: adc/wb -> adc result and then adjusted the following to:

(to adjust the low end of grayscale)
2nd offset R: 109
2nd offset G: 113
2nd offset B: 109
(to adjust the hight end of grayscale)
2nd gain R: 146
2nd gain G: 144
2nd gain B: 149

I also set the picture settings in the main menu to:
Picture mode: Movie
Contrast: 100
Brightness: 50
Sharpness:50
Color: 48
Tint: 50/50
Color Tone: Warm2
Screen Adjust: Screen Fit
Digital Noise Filter: OFF
Energy Saver: OFF

This TV is in our bedroom, so it is viewed mainly in low light and was calibrated that way. If you view in a bright room you might need to boost subcontrast in the service menu to your liking.

The controls are limited for dialing in primary and secondary colors. The TV doesn't provide a way to adjust the luminance and tint of each color separately. You can only adjust the Color/Luminance of all colors at once, and the Tint of all at once. However, even with the limited controls they are not too far off.

There are a few quirks with calibrating this set however. The picture switches to dynamic mode when you are in the service menu. So if you use a meter you need to take your readings outside the service menu, mark down what you need to adjust, and then make the adjustments in the service menu. Rinse and repeat until you have proper grayscale.

Attached are screen caps of different measurements of the TV within ColorHCFR.

Here are my settings for gray scale in the WB section of the service menu. They are all at defaults, but I think they are different from the defaults posted earlier. Maybe each set has a different set of defaults? Either way, I thought I'd add them as well for the full settings in the service menu.

Offset
R 132
G 128
B 145
Sub Contrast 128
Sub Brightness 128
Gain
R 150
G 128
B 131

 

Calibration Files.zip 331.310546875k . file
ksbarnz is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #182 of 333 Old 09-03-2010, 10:17 AM
Newbie
 
DasDrew's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 8
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks KSBARNZ for those settings. I will try them when I get off work and post back later.

*update* Skin tones and whites appear slightly more natural. I'll keep these settings for a few days to see how I like them. Thanks.
DasDrew is offline  
post #183 of 333 Old 09-03-2010, 05:28 PM
Member
 
michaelvbush13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 86
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks for the posting ksbarnz. Awesome to see someone with capabilities to do a proper adjustment post. I tried to do some settings but it was all by eye. So overall we get about a 900:1 contrast ratio and a decent gray scale. I think the tv does a pretty good job in translating colors, especially for a secondary viewing tele. Not quite as accurate as the big daddy samsung p650 or 850 now, but definitely serviceable.
michaelvbush13 is offline  
post #184 of 333 Old 09-03-2010, 06:01 PM
Advanced Member
 
Clmrt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 545
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
900:1?

Bummer, but I believe it.

Running with ksbarnz' setup and it's looking good, thanks!!
Clmrt is offline  
post #185 of 333 Old 09-03-2010, 07:55 PM
Senior Member
 
ksbarnz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 341
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
It definitely has a good picture for the price. You really can't beat it. I wouldn't trust the contrast ratio number too much. I believe you have to have a professional meter to get a true contrast ratio number. You'd need a meter that could accurately read a 0% gray pattern, and then that reading is compared to the 100% gray pattern reading. I think that is the way it works, someone correct me if I am wrong. The i1's are good/reliable at metering a grayscale test pattern of 20 % or 30 % and higher. Being a standard level meter, it has a hard time reading low light levels such as a 10% and 0% pattern. You can see this in the RGB levels picture in my attachment. 0 and 10% kind of go off the scale. Either way, I wouldn't get too hung up on the contrast ratio. You are getting a really good pic, for an incredibly low price.

On another topic, have any of you guys had a problem with the TV resetting itself when making an adjustment in the picture menu (not service) after initially powering on the TV? I've had that problem since day one, and I've noticed a few others have had the same problem on Insignia's forums. Insignia's engineers are "supposedly" researching the problem.
ksbarnz is offline  
post #186 of 333 Old 09-03-2010, 08:00 PM
Senior Member
 
ksbarnz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 341
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelvbush13 View Post

Thanks for the posting ksbarnz. Awesome to see someone with capabilities to do a proper adjustment post. I tried to do some settings but it was all by eye. So overall we get about a 900:1 contrast ratio and a decent gray scale. I think the tv does a pretty good job in translating colors, especially for a secondary viewing tele. Not quite as accurate as the big daddy samsung p650 or 850 now, but definitely serviceable.

No problem! Yeah, I sprung for the i1 a few years back to calibrate our living room TV. I've calibrated a few friends plasmas, LCDs, and rear projection units since then. I tried a few of the THX dvd's with the glasses, but there really isn't any second guessing when you have a meter and computer attached to the TV. If any of you are interested in calibrating here is the website I initially read a few years ago that got me going.

http://www.curtpalme.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=10457

You can pick up an i1 for around $150 on amazon and maybe cheaper on ebay. The calibration program, ColorHCFR, is free, as well as the calibration disk AVS HD 709.

Link to AVS HD 709
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=948496
ksbarnz is offline  
post #187 of 333 Old 09-04-2010, 09:56 AM
Newbie
 
DasDrew's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 8
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
the menu freeze in pic settings seems to happen the first time you turn on the tv after a lengthy period of inactivity. after that, it doesn't happen.

Has anyone experienced burn-in and/or dead pixels with this set? yesterday I noticed a faint but noticeable retention of the ESPN-HD logo as well as a dead pixel in the bottom right quadrant. I immediately took it back to Best Buy for an exchange. 30 minutes after using this 2nd set, another dead pixel. WTF? I'm thinking I should exchange it again but this time trade up to a Panasonic. Thoughts?
DasDrew is offline  
post #188 of 333 Old 09-04-2010, 10:01 AM
Advanced Member
 
sjetski71's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: N. NJ
Posts: 622
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by DasDrew View Post

Thoughts?

Yes,

If it's a flashing pixel then it's likely to go away. Image retention is common on sets in their first 200, and some say 1000 hours. Break-in slides keep everything nice and even during this stage, and supposedly helps lessen image retention down the road (?). Panasonics can have dead or flashing pixels and image retention also.

Just a friendly heads up because if you keep going this route you may end up going through a few more TV's before you're finished, as long as you have the patience for repeating the process then more power to you

Good luck either way though.
sjetski71 is offline  
post #189 of 333 Old 09-04-2010, 12:42 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
DaGamePimp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: WA State
Posts: 15,513
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksbarnz View Post

It definitely has a good picture for the price. You really can't beat it. I wouldn't trust the contrast ratio number too much. I believe you have to have a professional meter to get a true contrast ratio number. You'd need a meter that could accurately read a 0% gray pattern, and then that reading is compared to the 100% gray pattern reading. I think that is the way it works, someone correct me if I am wrong. The i1's are good/reliable at metering a grayscale test pattern of 20 % or 30 % and higher. Being a standard level meter, it has a hard time reading low light levels such as a 10% and 0% pattern. You can see this in the RGB levels picture in my attachment. 0 and 10% kind of go off the scale. Either way, I wouldn't get too hung up on the contrast ratio. You are getting a really good pic, for an incredibly low price.

On another topic, have any of you guys had a problem with the TV resetting itself when making an adjustment in the picture menu (not service) after initially powering on the TV? I've had that problem since day one, and I've noticed a few others have had the same problem on Insignia's forums. Insignia's engineers are "supposedly" researching the problem.


That is correct, your CR reading is not accurate. With the low IRE inaccuracies the real CR could be 5-10x the reading you obtained .


No issues with it here but then again only had it for a week and still have hardly used it, maybe a few hours total at best.

Jason
DaGamePimp is offline  
post #190 of 333 Old 09-04-2010, 03:00 PM
Member
 
elvislives's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Madison, WI
Posts: 86
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by aman74 View Post

I noticed a couple people using this with their PC's and I wondered how that's working out for you?

People were saying it's not a good choice for PC use because of no VGA input, but as long as your setup has HDMI out you should be ok right?

For my PC use, it works well. I am not doing a lot of Windows UI directly, for that it is a bit hard to read but not entirely terrible. Not as sharp as the 32" LCD this replaced (which was connected via VGA), but good enough to do things like install software and drivers. I'm running it at 1080p via HDMI from an Nvidia motherboard (8300 gpu). I use Windows Media Center to play DVD and Blu-ray rips, along with Blu-ray on disc, and it looks great.
elvislives is offline  
post #191 of 333 Old 09-04-2010, 10:04 PM
Member
 
michaelvbush13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 86
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by DasDrew View Post

the menu freeze in pic settings seems to happen the first time you turn on the tv after a lengthy period of inactivity. after that, it doesn't happen.

Has anyone experienced burn-in and/or dead pixels with this set? yesterday I noticed a faint but noticeable retention of the ESPN-HD logo as well as a dead pixel in the bottom right quadrant. I immediately took it back to Best Buy for an exchange. 30 minutes after using this 2nd set, another dead pixel. WTF? I'm thinking I should exchange it again but this time trade up to a Panasonic. Thoughts?

yeah i definitely have the menu reset problem, seems like when i first turn the tv on and go to the menu it resets. I have also noticed some image retention with the madden menu bars...I thought it wouldn't be a problem, not as prominent with this tv as my samsung. but it seems to persist a bit longer. I'm going to give it some time before I return. If it hasn't gone away before the 30 day exchange i will exchange for a new one. I mostly bought this to game on and watch football on sundays all day long, and espn. If this is going to have IR problems I might not be able to keep it...drag too cause for the size and price and image quality it really is superb...
michaelvbush13 is offline  
post #192 of 333 Old 09-07-2010, 06:35 PM
Newbie
 
Twoez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 11
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
okay so i purchased this set yesterday and on accident hit the av calibration which of course caused it to fail. it's hooked up to basic coax cable. wondering if there's a way to fix it.
Twoez is offline  
post #193 of 333 Old 09-08-2010, 01:57 AM
Member
 
bigoo7e's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 23
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
First of all I would like to thank everyones input on this fourm about this Tv, I recently picked this Tv up when it was on sale for $399. 1st I wanted to know if anyone had any good settings for this tv that is not in a dark or dim lit room. I do not have any direct sunlight that is hitting the front of the tv but I do have a good amount of light that does come in my living room. I have my Suddenlink cable and my PS3 hooked up to this set, I am constantly watching HDTV content, I do not think I have watched non HD channel since I have gotten the new set! At first I had the brightness and contrast turned down but when I went to play call of duty modern warfare two I noticed that it was too dark and I couldnt see the smaller lettering like in the kill feed and while I was waiting between matches, so I turned those settings back up. I turned on the game mode for maybe a day but reverted back to standard mode, I found movie mode was a little too dark for my tastes.

The second thing I wanted to ask if anyone else has been inside the tv's menu and it seem to want to freeze or take a long time to figure itself out? In my haste one day, I was in the menu and I hit the "ok" button two or three times, the set did nothing for like three seconds and then it shut itself off, is this normal? My set has done this to me at least five times since I have had it, nothing setting wise has changed but I find it odd that it cuts itself off.

Thanks for everyones responces and comments in advance.

Peace,
Evan
bigoo7e is offline  
post #194 of 333 Old 09-08-2010, 05:20 AM
Newbie
 
DasDrew's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 8
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
@Evan: Go with KSBarnz settings. They're about as perfect as you're going to get with this model TV. Plasma tech is designed to perform optimally in a dimly lit or dark room. It is what it is. Also, the tv shutting itself off the first time you enter the 'deep' user menu is normal unfortunately, but only initially. Think of it as flooding an engine the first time you start it up on a cold morning. You'll learn to live with it - given the price.

@Jetski: So the "dead" pixel on mine I believe is a stuck pixel. The color of it is blue, not black as previously stated. I don't know how to fix it, but I'm learning to live with it. Honestly I'm just to lazy to exchange it a second time. Any thoughts on how to repair one stuck blue pixel would be appreciated.

One more thing, on DVD's with HDMi I converted the TV back to the initial 16:9 setting under picture options. When it's on "Screen Fit" it messes up the geometry of the actual black bars and the sides. 16:9 may slightly crop the image, but at least it's geometrically stable on the display. Oddly enough this doesn't occur on the HD cable feed, so I leave this source on Screen Fit. Weird.
DasDrew is offline  
post #195 of 333 Old 09-08-2010, 09:37 AM
Member
 
bigoo7e's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 23
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by DasDrew View Post

@Evan: Go with KSBarnz settings. They're about as perfect as you're going to get with this model TV. Plasma tech is designed to perform optimally in a dimly lit or dark room. It is what it is. Also, the tv shutting itself off the first time you enter the 'deep' user menu is normal unfortunately, but only initially. Think of it as flooding an engine the first time you start it up on a cold morning. You'll learn to live with it - given the price.

Thanks for the input, my Suddenlink HD-DVR is hooked up through component cables, I went into service menu and went into the component calibration part... I started it and then I backed out, and now it says failure on the status next to it when I go in and check it, did I mess something up? I set all of the settings to KSBarnz settings for my HD-DVR and it looks better than it did before. I tried the same settings on my PS3 and it looks like boo boo, it's way too gray the colors look faded, washed out, and unnatural. Is there something I am doing wrong? I have the PS3 hooked up HDMI, and I don't think I have messed with any of the settings on the unit... anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks,
Evan
bigoo7e is offline  
post #196 of 333 Old 09-08-2010, 09:46 AM
Member
 
michaelvbush13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 86
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigoo7e View Post

Thanks for the input, my Suddenlink HD-DVR is hooked up through component cables, I went into service menu and went into the component calibration part... I started it and then I backed out, and now it says failure on the status next to it when I go in and check it, did I mess something up? I set all of the settings to KSBarnz settings for my HD-DVR and it looks better than it did before. I tried the same settings on my PS3 and it looks like boo boo, it's way too gray the colors look faded, washed out, and unnatural. Is there something I am doing wrong? I have the PS3 hooked up HDMI, and I don't think I have messed with any of the settings on the unit... anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks,
Evan

I did this also on my hdmi calibration-failure. I don't know what this is...unfortunately. The tv still works though. As far as ksbarnz settings, they look complete rubbish on my tele. They completely washed out the blacks to a very dark red on my tv. I don't know what his initial wb greyscale settings were, After tweaking i have found a pretty good balance. What you should do is go into the wb menu in the service menu and put all levels at 128. Then go into the adc result menu and adjust white balance that way.
michaelvbush13 is offline  
post #197 of 333 Old 09-08-2010, 11:23 AM
Senior Member
 
ksbarnz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 341
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigoo7e View Post

Thanks for the input, my Suddenlink HD-DVR is hooked up through component cables, I went into service menu and went into the component calibration part... I started it and then I backed out, and now it says failure on the status next to it when I go in and check it, did I mess something up? I set all of the settings to KSBarnz settings for my HD-DVR and it looks better than it did before. I tried the same settings on my PS3 and it looks like boo boo, it's way too gray the colors look faded, washed out, and unnatural. Is there something I am doing wrong? I have the PS3 hooked up HDMI, and I don't think I have messed with any of the settings on the unit... anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks,
Evan


What do you have your display settings to on the PS3? (going off the top of my head here)...There should be a setting somewhere in the PS3 display settings to change the color space to RGB or Y/pb/cb pr/cr (something like that). I believe I have mine on Y/pb/cb pr/cr. I'll double check tonight when I get home.
ksbarnz is offline  
post #198 of 333 Old 09-08-2010, 06:39 PM
Member
 
bigoo7e's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 23
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksbarnz View Post


What do you have your display settings to on the PS3? (going off the top of my head here)...There should be a setting somewhere in the PS3 display settings to change the color space to RGB or Y/pb/cb pr/cr (something like that). I believe I have mine on Y/pb/cb pr/cr. I'll double check tonight when I get home.

Please do, it's night and day difference picture wise between my HD-DVR and my PS3, I am disappointed... I couldn't even get the courage to pay a full game of MW2 it looked so bad. :-/

Thanks,
Evan
bigoo7e is offline  
post #199 of 333 Old 09-08-2010, 07:04 PM
Senior Member
 
ksbarnz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 341
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigoo7e View Post

Please do, it's night and day difference picture wise between my HD-DVR and my PS3, I am disappointed... I couldn't even get the courage to pay a full game of MW2 it looked so bad. :-/

Thanks,
Evan

Sorry, i forgot i moved the PS3 back to our living room once I got the LG blu-ray. Did you check and see what your ps3 is set to? If it is set to RGB try toggling between full and limited. Also try switching between RGB and Y pb / cb pr / cr. I believe setting RGB to full expands the colour spectrum from 16 to 235, to 0 to 255. Try toggling each of these and see if it improves you picture.
ksbarnz is offline  
post #200 of 333 Old 09-08-2010, 07:05 PM
Newbie
 
revmra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi all,

I am considering getting this T.V. myself. I just have a question about the analog audio output. We've got an older Denon receiver that doesn't have any digital inputs. The analog audio output on the T.V. seems to take a 1/8" stereo plug. I haven't seen one like that before. My receiver just has RCA inputs. I would assume that I would just need a female 1/8" stereo-to-dual RCA male converter from my local Radio Shack or something? Or is there a more elegant solution? We've got our DVD player, PS3, and VCR running into our current T.V. and the audio output from that (via two RCA cables) going into the receiver. It gets the job done nicely for us.

Update: As it usually happens, I think I found an answer right after I posted. I assume that something like this would do the trick?
revmra is offline  
post #201 of 333 Old 09-08-2010, 07:27 PM
Member
 
bigoo7e's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 23
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksbarnz View Post


Sorry, i forgot i moved the PS3 back to our living room once I got the LG blu-ray. Did you check and see what your ps3 is set to? If it is set to RGB try toggling between full and limited. Also try switching between RGB and Y pb / cb pr / cr. I believe setting RGB to full expands the colour spectrum from 16 to 235, to 0 to 255. Try toggling each of these and see if it improves you picture.

Cool beans, I changed it to full and turned up the whites in the settings, it has seemed to help. I will run it through it's paces tomorrow morning when it's not dark, but from first glance it has made a difference in the grays and blacks. I shall keep you posted, thanks again!

Peace,
Evan
bigoo7e is offline  
post #202 of 333 Old 09-09-2010, 12:12 AM
Member
 
michaelvbush13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 86
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Here are some screenshots of my Insignia plasma and my sharp rear projection with my custom built screen after calibration. The shots are from Casino. Can you tell which is which.
LL
LL
michaelvbush13 is offline  
post #203 of 333 Old 09-09-2010, 03:35 AM
Member
 
bigoo7e's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 23
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksbarnz View Post

Sorry, i forgot i moved the PS3 back to our living room once I got the LG blu-ray. Did you check and see what your ps3 is set to? If it is set to RGB try toggling between full and limited. Also try switching between RGB and Y pb / cb pr / cr. I believe setting RGB to full expands the colour spectrum from 16 to 235, to 0 to 255. Try toggling each of these and see if it improves you picture.

It's on RGB and full right now, when I get home I am going to mess with it some more. I will try the other if the picture doesn't look any better in my bright room, thanks for the heads up!

Peace,
Evan
bigoo7e is offline  
post #204 of 333 Old 09-09-2010, 04:25 AM
Advanced Member
 
Clmrt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 545
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
The one on the right is the plasma - less hotspotting.

What did I win!?!?!
Clmrt is offline  
post #205 of 333 Old 09-09-2010, 02:02 PM
Member
 
michaelvbush13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 86
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clmrt View Post

The one on the right is the plasma - less hotspotting.

What did I win!?!?!

CORRECT!!!! Good call on that. No prize really, just respect mucho mucho respecto. Pretty good color match on red and green. A little tealer in the projector but overall pretty well done. Here are my final settings for the insignia.

MODE MOVIE
CONTRAST-100
BRIGHTNESS-53
SHARPNESS-20
COLOR-50
TINT G62/R38 (The red push on movie mode was too intense to correct without skewing the white balance simply adjusting the tint worked wonders)
COLOR TONE NORMAL (Again for some reason they felt that the "Warm" settings simply meant boosting the red push, but it actually just made everything red instead of simply giving a deeper color base.)

SERVICE MENU SETTINGS
WB
SUB BRIGHTNESS 138
R OFFSET 128
G OFFSET 129
B OFFSET 135
SUB CONTRAST 145
R GAIN 128
G GAIN 123
B GAIN 131
ADC RESULT
2ND R OFFSET 116
2ND G OFFSET 121
2ND B OFFSET 122
2ND R GAIN 116
2ND B GAIN 119
2ND B GAIN 129

POWER SAVER ***OFF***
BRIGHTNESS SENSOR***OFF***


ENJOY
michaelvbush13 is offline  
post #206 of 333 Old 09-10-2010, 04:15 AM
Advanced Member
 
Clmrt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 545
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
*happy dance*
Clmrt is offline  
post #207 of 333 Old 09-10-2010, 07:01 AM
Member
 
bigoo7e's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 23
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
@ksbarnz

I set the PS3 to RGB and full and it has made a world of difference, thanks again! Netflix and my movies look even better too with the PS3 now.

I just made a order this morning for two 6ft high speed HDMI cables over at monoprice so I can hook my HD-DVR box up HDMI as well. I had to buy a HDMI cable when I was at best buy... I worked for Best Buy for four and a half years selling HDTV's. Once I get new cables in I am getting my $30 back, more than likely get a few blu-ray's that may be on sale. When I was at the checkout they wanted me to buy the service plan, I am like "Look man, I know the hustle... the plan is 25% the cost of the Tv, that's too damn much, if it was around 10-12% I would consider it but not at 25%!".

I am happy with the Tv so far, hope it holds up. I do have one question though, I know this is supposed to be a 720p Tv but when I run my PS3 through it, it always shows a 1920x1080 signal at 60hz, is this normal or is it just accepting the 1080p signal and then just downgrading it to 720p?

Peace,
Evan
bigoo7e is offline  
post #208 of 333 Old 09-10-2010, 07:29 AM
Advanced Member
 
Clmrt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 545
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
It always tells you what it sees - if int incoming is 1080i, it'll show you in the window.

I set my DTV box to 720P instead of all formats because every time I changed channels it would notify me that the incoming resolution has changed. Locking it to 720p avoids that.

When you change inputs on your receiver or the TV, though, you'll see the Insignia's status box.
Clmrt is offline  
post #209 of 333 Old 09-10-2010, 07:44 AM
Senior Member
 
ksbarnz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 341
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigoo7e View Post

@ksbarnz

I set the PS3 to RGB and full and it has made a world of difference, thanks again! Netflix and my movies look even better too with the PS3 now.

I just made a order this morning for two 6ft high speed HDMI cables over at monoprice so I can hook my HD-DVR box up HDMI as well. I had to buy a HDMI cable when I was at best buy... I worked for Best Buy for four and a half years selling HDTV's. Once I get new cables in I am getting my $30 back, more than likely get a few blu-ray's that may be on sale. When I was at the checkout they wanted me to buy the service plan, I am like "Look man, I know the hustle... the plan is 25% the cost of the Tv, that's too damn much, if it was around 10-12% I would consider it but not at 25%!".

I am happy with the Tv so far, hope it holds up. I do have one question though, I know this is supposed to be a 720p Tv but when I run my PS3 through it, it always shows a 1920x1080 signal at 60hz, is this normal or is it just accepting the 1080p signal and then just downgrading it to 720p?

Peace,
Evan

You're welcome! Man, I love monoprice. You can't beat the deals they have on cables and adapters. Yes, you are correct. The TV is accepting the 1080p signal, but is displaying 720p.
ksbarnz is offline  
post #210 of 333 Old 09-10-2010, 11:36 AM
Member
 
mrtybalt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 43
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've been trying to find discrete on and off commands for the set. Searched all the usual spots, but failed to turn up anything. Harmony does not have them either.

Has anyone here determined the IR codes for the set, including the discrete on/off?
mrtybalt is offline  
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Insignia 32 Inch Lcd Hdtv

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off