Is the hype really worth it? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 05-13-2010, 09:32 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi all, I've been doing some reading here and there. I was wondering if the Pioneer Kuro Elite really worth the price which is the same price as the c8000. I saw this set with my own eyes and it looks nice. I think i can get my hands on one. What do you guys think?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 05-13-2010, 09:37 PM

I was going to ask a similar question in a few moments in its own post.

I'm newly re-entering the TV market. It's very curious to me that all of the current best rated TV's are all discontinued (101fd, 111fd, 500m, 8500). I'm wondering why all the best TV's are from 2009 when 2010 is virtually half over.
post #3 of 12 Old 05-13-2010, 10:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by -Ever- View Post

I'm newly re-entering the TV market. It's very curious to me that all of the current best rated TV's are all discontinued (101fd, 111fd, 500m, 8500). I'm wondering why all the best TV's are from 2009 when 2010 is virtually half over.

I think the sad reality is that 90% of consumers buy purely on size and price. Occasionally, they will get upsold on gimmicky features like 120Hz, but PQ doesn't really factor in besides what they can glean from 5 minutes at Best Buy with its awful environment, poorly-calibrated displays, and poor demo material.

Actually, I believe most of the 2010 Panasonics are better than the 2009s. I agree that the high end is still stuck in 2009, though.

3D is also become a distraction from pure image quality. The brightness needed to counteract the shutter glasses' darkening seems to kill black level.

BTW, for me, the "hype" is all on the gimmicks like refresh rate (for LCDs) and 3D. I don't consider what the Pioneers do to be hype.
post #4 of 12 Old 05-13-2010, 11:17 PM

Quote:

That is how far ahead Pioneer was in its quality, and their sets had the price tag to match.

But yes, who was willing and could afford to pay?

It is just one of those glitches that many of us have Pioneers and got them at the price we did. Good for us but sad for Pioneer that they had to "give them away."

Pioneer is said to be struggling financially right now. I hope they make it. Here was a company that was all about perfecting the plasma technology and they did not get rewarded financially for their efforts...but boy did they ever make a nice display in the 9G's.

Is it more fun to use the equipment or talk about it on AVS?
post #5 of 12 Old 05-14-2010, 06:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by montanaman View Post

That is how far ahead Pioneer was in its quality, and their sets had the price tag to match.

But yes, who was willing and could afford to pay?

It is just one of those glitches that many of us have Pioneers and got them at the price we did. Good for us but sad for Pioneer that they had to "give them away."

Pioneer is said to be struggling financially right now. I hope they make it. Here was a company that was all about perfecting the plasma technology and they did not get rewarded financially for their efforts...but boy did they ever make a nice display in the 9G's.

Totally true. The 8Gs and 7Gs for that matter were also excellent. My 5080 still looks better by a wide margin than any of our friends or neighbors LCDs. Its not even close. My set is 2.5 years old. Hilarious.

As I keep saying - The high end for plasma is DEAD until someone picks up the slack which may never happen. People dont seek out quality, they go for size and price as someone else here mentioned.

On the brighter side, I keep reading very ppositive reviews for some of the new LG plasmas and LED-based LCDs. Maybe LG will be the one to at least push the plasma envelope?
post #6 of 12 Old 05-14-2010, 09:46 AM

Quote:

It must be due to the stringent emissions/consumption regulations that have been implemented the world over that have strangled a manufacturer's ability to make a good plasma that's also energy efficient. Can you say ABL?

IMO Plasmas are the best type of TVs and making them energy efficient is a good thing to do, but one hell of a challenge.

I applaud the likes of Panasonic, Samsung, and LG, especially Panasonic striving forward with plasma technology.

CD
post #7 of 12 Old 05-14-2010, 11:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by s2mikey View Post

Totally true. The 8Gs and 7Gs for that matter were also excellent. My 5080 still looks better by a wide margin than any of our friends or neighbors LCDs. Its not even close. My set is 2.5 years old. Hilarious.

As I keep saying - The high end for plasma is DEAD until someone picks up the slack which may never happen. People dont seek out quality, they go for size and price as someone else here mentioned.

On the brighter side, I keep reading very ppositive reviews for some of the new LG plasmas and LED-based LCDs. Maybe LG will be the one to at least push the plasma envelope?

"The high end for plasma is DEAD until someone picks up the slack which may never happen. People dont seek out quality, they go for size and and price as someone else here mentioned."

So the $4,300 Panasonic 65 VT 25 isn't about quality. Panasonic just charges twice the price of a 65 S 1

3D is the happening thing right now. That is where the market is moving and in the next 24-36 months, NOTHING is going to upstage 3D.
post #8 of 12 Old 05-14-2010, 11:23 AM
Advanced Member

Just curious but do the Pioneer Kuros get a better picture than the full back lit LED TVs?
post #9 of 12 Old 05-14-2010, 11:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by BWG707 View Post

Just curious but do the Pioneer Kuros get a better picture than the full back lit LED TVs?

Since you are just curious, the short answer is yes.
post #10 of 12 Old 05-14-2010, 12:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by spyboy View Post

3D is the happening thing right now. That is where the market is moving and in the next 24-36 months, NOTHING is going to upstage 3D.

That may be true from a marketing/mass market consumer perspective, but the "enthusiast" market being considered here is quite different.

3D is a manufacturer-driven initiative designed to sell TVs to people who've already bought HDTVs. The tail is trying to wag the dog in terms of consumer demand.
post #11 of 12 Old 05-14-2010, 02:28 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by spyboy View Post

"The high end for plasma is DEAD until someone picks up the slack which may never happen. People dont seek out quality, they go for size and and price as someone else here mentioned."

So the $4,300 Panasonic 65 VT 25 isn't about quality. Panasonic just charges twice the price of a 65 S 1

The point isn't that there aren't quality sets on there, but that people don't usually seek out quality, but rather size and price. Consumers generally want the biggest they can buy at a given price point. Not many people seek out quality as their first priority. A $4300 65 VT25 is out of the reach of most folks, but they may consider the 65 S1 if they just wanted to have a large plasma for a half the price of the VT25 and don't know much or care much after absolute quality.

3D may be the happening thing right now, but that doesn't mean it is the right direction. They haven't even perfected 2D sets but now the manufacturers want to throw 3D sets into the mix so that they can continue to sell new televisions, even when there is very little content to warrant it.

I personally went with a KRP-500M and had it calibrated. Once in a while I wish I had bought the 600M instead, but I wouldn't trade it for anything on the market right now. The picture quality makes me grin, especially after I've seen what my friends' plasmas look like. I can honestly say that in many scenes, my plasma as well be a 2:35:1 set because that's how deep the perceived blacks can get.
post #12 of 12 Old 05-15-2010, 08:27 PM

Thanks for all the replies to my inquiry!

I got back in the market on my father's behalf. It looks like he's been won over to purchase a 65" V10 instead of the Kuros I've been trying to get him into. In the end real estate and price are grabbing hold of him.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page