Panasonic 42 inch G25 buzzing issue - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 154 Old 05-14-2010, 10:26 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just purchased a new 42 inch Panasonic Plasma. Model TCP42G10.

After hooking the tv up to my cable box I noticed that the picture is somewhat dim. I heard elsewhere that it is done so on purpose to prevent image burn in and that you shouldn't change it for the first 100 hours. Is this true?

After flipping through the channels for about 30 minutes the picture went out - but I was still getting sound through the speakers.

Also, while I was watching, I tried to change the picture to THX mode and other modes just to see how bright the picture will be. Doing so I noticed a buzzing sound coming from the back of the tv. (Nothing else was connected to the line) This noise got louder as I changed to THX mode and especially GAME mode, but is also quite noticeable in Custom Mode. What is causing this? Is this also a defect?

Called Panasonic and was told to plug in my component cables into component 2 output - doing this the picture came back. But the noise coming from the back is still there.

The panasonic tech person I spoke to stated that there shouldn't be any noise coming from the back at all. This made sense to me since my other plasma (thx42PX80u) doesn't make any buzzing sounds in any mode.

I will be exchanging this tv for another one due to the component 1 input issue.

Do all G25's have this buzzing sound that gets louder as you change the picture mode? If so, why would the Panasonic Tech person told me otherwise?

Also, at the factory setting (Standard) the picture is just too dim. Much more so than I remember it being on my other plasma, mentioned above. Is this a defect?

Thanks,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 154 Old 05-14-2010, 10:27 PM - Thread Starter

The model of the tv I purchased is TCP42G25 not G10. Sorry for the typo.
post #3 of 154 Old 05-15-2010, 05:18 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 14
I have a G20 (same set) & it emits some buzz from the back though I only really notice it if my head is behind the set. I can't say I notice much if at all from the front. I believe some buzz is normal but if you can hear while viewing normally at say 3-4 feet away or more then there is likely a problem.

As for Standard being dim I believe it is by design if only so they can claim the energy use ratings are low. Put it in Custom with Contrast around 55, Brightness 48, Colour Warm 2, & Colour at about 45, turn off C.A.T.S & see how that looks. I took mine out of Standard immediately and used the settings I noted above with no problems at all. I only left the tv set low on my input for the XBOX 360 due to the HUDs.
post #4 of 154 Old 05-15-2010, 07:52 AM
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 447
Quote:
Originally Posted by plasmaguy1 View Post

....I noticed a buzzing sound coming from the back of the tv. (Nothing else was connected to the line) This noise got louder as I changed to THX mode and especially GAME mode, but is also quite noticeable in Custom Mode. What is causing this? Is this also a defect?

Called Panasonic and was told to plug in my component cables into component 2 output - doing this the picture came back. But the noise coming from the back is still there.

The panasonic tech person I spoke to stated that there shouldn't be any noise coming from the back at all. This made sense to me since my other plasma (thx42PX80u) doesn't make any buzzing sounds in any mode.

Do all G25's have this buzzing sound that gets louder as you change the picture mode? If so, why would the Panasonic Tech person told me otherwise?

The factory default settings in Standard mode are purposely dim and should be adjusted by the owner's personal preference, not left alone. Standard is not a good mode anyway, just use Custom and/or THX and adjust the settings to your liking.

Exactly how close to the TV do you have to get before you hear the buzzing from the back? 1-2 feet? 8 feet? Can you hear it from your viewing position? ALL Plasma TVs buzz, especially if you put your head behind the TV. And it is normal for a buzz to increase on brighter scenes, but it shouldn't be loud enough to hear from maybe 2-4 feet or more from the screen. The new 2010 G and VT models don't have that extra layer of insulating glass (like your old PX80U does) so it will tend to be a little louder than you're used to. But it shouldn't be bothersome from your couch. If it is, the TV is defective.

Randy
TC-P55ST60, TC-P50GT50, TC-P46G10, TH-42PZ700U, TH-42PX50U, HP LC2600N, TiVo Series3, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR605, URC R40 Remote.
Pic of My A/V setup - http://cdn.avsforum.com/f/f1/900x900..._Img_4867.jpeg
Gallery - http://www.avsforum.com/g/a/2082686/randywalter...
post #5 of 154 Old 05-15-2010, 11:14 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWalters View Post

The factory default settings in Standard mode are purposely dim and should be adjusted by the owner's personal preference, not left alone. Standard is not a good mode anyway, just use Custom and/or THX and adjust the settings to your liking.

Exactly how close to the TV do you have to get before you hear the buzzing from the back? 1-2 feet? 8 feet? Can you hear it from your viewing position? ALL Plasma TVs buzz, especially if you put your head behind the TV. And it is normal for a buzz to increase on brighter scenes, but it shouldn't be loud enough to hear from maybe 2-4 feet or more from the screen. The new 2010 G and VT models don't have that extra layer of insulating glass (like your old PX80U does) so it will tend to be a little louder than you're used to. But it shouldn't be bothersome from your couch. If it is, the TV is defective.

If I set it to STANDARD mode than I cannot hear the buzzing unless I stand right next to the tv.

On any other mode - I can hear it sitting 10 feet away on my couch. It is not loud - but I can definitely hear it.

Does the 2009 G series have that extra layer of insulating glass you were referring to? (I think the model is TCP-42G10)

I am definitely changing this set and want to get one that doesn't have this issue or at least one where it wouldn't be noticeable.

What are your thoughts on LED LCD? My brother just got the KDL40EX700.

Thanks
post #6 of 154 Old 05-15-2010, 05:10 PM

My P50G20 hadn't made any noise at all for 3 days even when the room was completely quiet but then I got it hooked up online and it ran the latest software update and immediately after started buzzing when the screen has lighter images on it.

Anyone else run into that? It was completely quiet going through all the menus for the update and then right when it was done I could hear it buzz from 12 feet away. It will get quiet enough that I could ignore it but then the screen will change and the sound will increase making it annoying again.

I can hear it over things like news but not over louder shows from the couch about 12 feet away. Before the sofware update it was silent from 12 inches away

I've only had it for 4 days but was so happy that it was so quiet. Working right next to it setting up other components with it on I couldn't hear a sound out of it before the software update.

Now I'm nervous about getting another since this didn't buzz out of the box and the next might wait till after the return time frame...
post #7 of 154 Old 05-15-2010, 06:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 27
so im assuming this a problem with the g series along with the floating black problem?
post #8 of 154 Old 05-17-2010, 12:41 PM

hopefully not, after spending Sunday looking at alternatives I think we'll try exchanging it for a new one and see how it does.

Figure I can live with some buzzing rather than going for a quiet TV that doesn't have as good of a picture. Tried an LCD (Vizio) but the SD was pretty much unwatchable on it, kept going from sharp to fuzzy and back each time the scene changed or moved. Took it back about 2 hours after buying it.

Still is so odd that the buzz didn't start until right after the software update.
post #9 of 154 Old 05-18-2010, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nezff View Post

so im assuming this a problem with the g series along with the floating black problem?

Why would you say that because a couple of people out of all of the G owners have posted about buzz.

I've had my 46G25 about a month. If I stick my head behind it I can hear buzzing in some situations. Other than that I can't hear a peep from it.
post #10 of 154 Old 05-18-2010, 10:42 AM
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 447
Quote:
Originally Posted by Surly73 View Post

Why would you say that because a couple of people out of all of the G owners have posted about buzz.

There a lot more than a couple reports of the new G series buzzing abnormally loud. I've seen more owner buzz complaints about the G20/G25 models than any other Panasonic plasma model over the past years. We knew this might happen when Panasonic dropped that outer layer of protective (and apparently sound insulating) glass a-la Pioneer and Samsung. And Panasonic's build quality may be suffering through cost-cutting measures in order to compete with the Korean brands.

Quote:

I've had my 46G25 about a month. If I stick my head behind it I can hear buzzing in some situations. Other than that I can't hear a peep from it.

That is what i would consider normal. But obviously the people who can hear theirs buzzing from 6 feet and beyond have defective TVs.

Randy
TC-P55ST60, TC-P50GT50, TC-P46G10, TH-42PZ700U, TH-42PX50U, HP LC2600N, TiVo Series3, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR605, URC R40 Remote.
Pic of My A/V setup - http://cdn.avsforum.com/f/f1/900x900..._Img_4867.jpeg
Gallery - http://www.avsforum.com/g/a/2082686/randywalter...
post #11 of 154 Old 05-18-2010, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWalters View Post

There a lot more than a couple reports of the new G series buzzing abnormally loud. I've seen more owner buzz complaints about the G20/G25 models than any other Panasonic plasma model over the past years. We knew this might happen when Panasonic dropped that outer layer of protective (and apparently sound insulating) glass a-la Pioneer and Samsung. And Panasonic's build quality may be suffering through cost-cutting measures in order to compete with the Korean brands.

That is what i would consider normal. But obviously the people who can hear theirs buzzing from 6 feet and beyond have defective TVs.

A lot of the reports I've heard indicate that the buzzing is coming from the rear, but is very loud. How would another layer of glass on the front help buzzing from the rear? Mine seems to be coming from the electronics inside and not generated by the glass portions of the panel.

It's hard to know whether those who don't specify where the buzzing originates are even paying attention to whether it's coming through the front or bouncing off the wall from the rear.

Of course the fans they all had up until now might be helping to cover up buzzing.
post #12 of 154 Old 05-18-2010, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surly73 View Post

I'm curious, do you know which software version yours is currently running? I don't remember what mine was before the update but after it is 2.0
post #13 of 154 Old 05-18-2010, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ta240 View Post

I'm curious, do you know which software version yours is currently running? I don't remember what mine was before the update but after it is 2.0

It's March 2010 build, Canadian market. I think it was something like 1.107 (PEAKS)? I upgraded to 2.000(PEAKS) over the weekend. I don't think there was any change in....anything....in the Canadian market.
post #14 of 154 Old 05-18-2010, 06:34 PM

I own a G20 and noticed this last night. Buzzing is very apparent near the TV. At 12ft, barely noticeable, except when the screen is grey. I tested this multiple times: when accessing Amazon VOD and going through the menus, when the background went from dark black to grey the buzz could be heard in other rooms of my house.

P50G20 from Best Buy in the US, 2.0 software.
post #15 of 154 Old 05-23-2010, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plasmaguy1 View Post

I just purchased a new 42 inch Panasonic Plasma. Model TCP42G10.

After hooking the tv up to my cable box I noticed that the picture is somewhat dim. I heard elsewhere that it is done so on purpose to prevent image burn in and that you shouldn't change it for the first 100 hours. Is this true?

After flipping through the channels for about 30 minutes the picture went out - but I was still getting sound through the speakers.

Also, while I was watching, I tried to change the picture to THX mode and other modes just to see how bright the picture will be. Doing so I noticed a buzzing sound coming from the back of the tv. (Nothing else was connected to the line) This noise got louder as I changed to THX mode and especially GAME mode, but is also quite noticeable in Custom Mode. What is causing this? Is this also a defect?

I will be exchanging this tv for another one due to the component 1 input issue.

Also, at the factory setting (Standard) the picture is just too dim. Much more so than I remember it being on my other plasma, mentioned above. Is this a defect?

Thanks,

so what your are saying the panasonic will exchange the tv for you??

im asking because i have my 50g25 for 2 days now, got it on fri, still have the plastic wrapping around and from the time i put it on have a pretty loud buzzing sound coming from inside, i can easily hear it from 10 ft away especially during quiet tv pauses, i will be calling panny tomorrow to see what they can do, i bought this online so there is no exchange through that company that delivered it, this is my second panny plasma i have a panny 50pz750u which is still amazing after all these years, it is double the weight, has 3 large fans going in the back and you cant hear a thing, i understand many tv's you can hear some noise when you stick your head behind, and to me that is normal, but this issue i have here def is not normal
i went to best buy and their g20 is not making any noise at all, i know panny has great customer service lets see what happens

thanks alot
post #16 of 154 Old 05-23-2010, 08:50 PM

we took the P50G20 back to best buy and the guy from their TV department that came up to make sure it was okay to return said they all do that and especially when they are showing bright images on the screen. Not that his word is gospel but I'm sure they hear a lot of buzzing complaints.

I didn't bother mentioning that it didn't buzz till after the software update, which still makes no sense to me. I was just happy to have my money back and be heading to get lunch.

We replaced it with a Samsung PN50C7000 from a different store and it too buzzes but it is more of a constant buzz. It is far from being as loud as the Panny was when bright images were on the screen and yet louder than the Panny was at it's quietest. Kindof a middle ground between the two but constant rather than fluctiation with what is on the screen.

To me I find this less annoying because it is easier to get used to and tune out. When someone would come on screen wearing a white shirt the panasonic would announce it with a louder buzz which would make it much more noticeable to me.
Neither seem to buzz in the store but my house is much quieter than a store. Heck, I thought our office at work was reasonably quiet till the power went out and all the electronics shut down so I'm sure there is a ton of noise in a Sears or Best Buy, that I don't even realize is there, drowning out the buzz. The Tivo shows up Tuesday so I figure the fan in it will help cover the buzz

Watching regular shows or movies I never hear it with either TV but when watching news type programs it is more noticable but still not bad.
With a price match and another added discount that they just gave me for the heck of it the Samsung ended up only being about $150 more than the panasonic so I'm happy. I'll take a bit of noise in exchange for an incredible picture.
post #17 of 154 Old 05-24-2010, 08:06 AM

I ordered my G25 on amazon a few weeks ago, had it delivered finally last tuesday and had some issues with my delivery service. My dad was home to take the delivery and they only send one guy so he made my dad help carry the tv from the truck to the house and then just dropped it off in the middle of my living room still in the box. So much for "white glove service". Anyways I complained about it to amazon and they gave me like a $57 refund. The main reason i'm mentioning this is because i'm wondering if the buzzing issue that i'm already having with my tv especially on lighter images has anything to do with the way it was delivered (could have been on its side or what not) or if it is just a defective tv. It sounds like i will be contacting amazon about this issue since I didn't just drop $1800 for a TV that I will just "deal with" a buzzing when watching something quiet.

it is such a shame too because I am very impressed with the picture quality I just can't get used to this buzzing. Has anyone else with the buzzing issue confirmed that their tv was defective? Or has it been said that it's "normal" and we just have to deal with it?

ps this is my first post but I have been reading over this forum for a few months in trying to make my tv decision. I thought i had made the right choice but now i'm not so sure. Thanks in advance!
post #18 of 154 Old 05-24-2010, 09:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 175
Its unfortunate that people are having issued with their sets, i got my G20 about a month ago from BB, ive done all the break ins and such, running D-Nice settings using THX mode for everything, and i have what i consider zero buzz. i have to literally put my head behind the TV to hear it. I sit 8-10 feet away and if i turn off everything in the room/rooms near the TV that make noise i cant hear it, even with my head behind the TV the fan on my Xbox360 makes more noise then the TV does
post #19 of 154 Old 05-24-2010, 10:17 AM

my completely uninformed guess is that the tolerances of the individual components are allowed to be within a wide enough range that some get lucky and theirs don't buzz much and some get the parts that are a bit off but still within specs so theirs buzz more.

Combine that with different hearing and different levels of noticing some sounds and we end up with the vast array of levels from really loud to not at all.

I still wish I could have rolled the update back on my set to see if the buzz went away on my set. I had read the posts about buzzing on here so I was listening closely for it and heard nothing even inches from the set until after it updated to 2.0 and then it was immediate. As soon as the TV restarted it buzzed when light images were on the screen.

I liked the look of the bezel on the C7000 better and the ability to do 3D if I want to so I didn't bother calling Panasonic about it ( I did fill out their form online and never heard from them ).
post #20 of 154 Old 05-24-2010, 05:04 PM

I just posted in the other thread about the buzzing panny G's. I have a video of the tv buzzing, which might help people decide whether they would be able to tolerate it. I can't post the link until I've made three posts here. Someone in the other thread said his/hers went away after 2-3 weeks, but I don't even feel like putting up with this for that long. Also, who knows, it could come back... Probably will just get a samsung or LG.

[EDIT] Here is the link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=danx22fVGEg
post #21 of 154 Old 05-24-2010, 05:44 PM
Advanced Member

That is the best video capture of plasma buzz I've seen. I can't imagine what that must sound like in person. Even though I have some abnormal plasma buzz, it doesn't compare to what you've posted.
post #22 of 154 Old 05-24-2010, 06:08 PM

wow! That is terrible. Mine is silent compared to that.
post #23 of 154 Old 05-24-2010, 06:10 PM

Wow, I was worried my new P50S2 was defective because of a slight buzz. I would honestly not call what I saw in that video a "buzz", its more like electrical coil whine or something. That is totally unacceptable and must be defective; no one would ever accept using a tv that sounds like that no matter how good the picture
post #24 of 154 Old 05-27-2010, 06:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 22
According to this thread, it appears it may be the power supply that causes the noise.

That which may be known of God is evident within man, for God has shown it to them, so that they are without excuse. (Romans 1:19-20)
post #25 of 154 Old 05-27-2010, 08:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 20
IMO what I heard on the YouTube video indicates a manufacturer defect and should be handled under warranty by Panasonic. That noise is totally unacceptable by any standard, IMO. I have owned a 42" Panasonic ED model for about 5 years now and it has never made any noises whatsoever. It was a Made in Japan model, for what that is worth. It concerns me now that Panasonic has apparently lowered their level of quality to allow such a defective unit to leave the factory. I had been considerng a 2010 G model but no more. I will stick with my terrific ED Panny for at least another year and hope that Panasonic gets their crap together by then.

"The truth is out there!"
post #26 of 154 Old 06-06-2010, 10:58 AM

Panasonic fixed my g25 with no issues, it was something with the power supply, so dont hesitate to call them up.
post #27 of 154 Old 06-06-2010, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adthebadstud View Post

I ordered my G25 on amazon a few weeks ago, had it delivered finally last tuesday and had some issues with my delivery service. My dad was home to take the delivery and they only send one guy so he made my dad help carry the tv from the truck to the house and then just dropped it off in the middle of my living room still in the box. So much for "white glove service". Anyways I complained about it to amazon and they gave me like a $57 refund. The main reason i'm mentioning this is because i'm wondering if the buzzing issue that i'm already having with my tv especially on lighter images has anything to do with the way it was delivered (could have been on its side or what not) or if it is just a defective tv. It sounds like i will be contacting amazon about this issue since I didn't just drop $1800 for a TV that I will just "deal with" a buzzing when watching something quiet.

it is such a shame too because I am very impressed with the picture quality I just can't get used to this buzzing. Has anyone else with the buzzing issue confirmed that their tv was defective? Or has it been said that it's "normal" and we just have to deal with it?

ps this is my first post but I have been reading over this forum for a few months in trying to make my tv decision. I thought i had made the right choice but now i'm not so sure. Thanks in advance!

Call panasonic you are under warranty, its not about making a bad choice as all sets have thier own issues trust me i should know because i have owned a few other 2010 models till i got the g25, this is a awesome tv and since panasonic fixed my buzzing im loving it even more, you have the warranty so use it.
post #28 of 154 Old 06-27-2010, 05:22 PM

Just bought & unboxed my G25 42 inch from Amazon.
Had it on Vivid mode (bright) & the buzz was intollerable. Not super loud like the video, but noticeable from 10 feet away & fluctuating.

Agree that I didnt pay $1200 to have a buzz I have to deal with. Also am very happy with picture & my other Panny plasmas (2 years ago).

Looks like Panny helped in the above request?
Is that the best path to get this fixed?
post #29 of 154 Old 06-27-2010, 06:43 PM

To Update: I switched the power supply to another like supply & that was not the issue. Im going to work through Amazon to return mine & hopefully get one within decent tollerance. If that doesnt work Ill go with another OEM.
post #30 of 154 Old 06-27-2010, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEMORIK View Post

Call panasonic you are under warranty, its not about making a bad choice as all sets have thier own issues trust me i should know because i have owned a few other 2010 models till i got the g25, this is a awesome tv and since panasonic fixed my buzzing im loving it even more, you have the warranty so use it.

When you say Panasonic fixed your issue, do you mean they sent out service reps? If so, how long did it take for them to come out?

My G25 should be here next week and I hope I don't have this issue.

Does anyone know if this only affects specific sizes or sets that were manufactured during a certain time frame?
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page