TC-P50S2 Always grainy, no help from Panasonic - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 05-15-2010, 04:19 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey Guys, I just bought a S2 from amazon.com and am really not impressed with the picture of the unit I have. Loved the picture in store but mine just is not the same. Constantly adjusted the settings and just cannot rid of the grainy look. Very annoying and when watching Blu-Ray, its almost no better than a regular DVD. Just can see the grainy dots bouncing around and its not a solid picture.
I just the digital tuner and I think the best picture i can get is when watching a HDTV broadcast from NBC.

Any recommendations on getting rid of this grainy look? Customer support pretty much said I have to live with it. Also I have done about 100 hours of break in.

I almost want to swap TV's but know it would probally be a pain working with amazon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 05-15-2010, 05:04 PM

Liked: 11
I was thinking the same thing when I first bought my 50S2 about 3 weeks ago. I read that the only picture Mode that looks good is the Cinema mode. Give it a try along with setting of Contrast 71
Brightness 60
Color 47
Tint 0
Sharpness 0
Colkor temp Cool
Screen format Full
HD Size 2
Give it a try and you should see a much smoother picture.
post #3 of 10 Old 05-15-2010, 09:16 PM - Thread Starter

Hmm, tried that and IMO it looks really grayish and more blury. Didnt really help at all. Kinda weird
post #4 of 10 Old 05-16-2010, 05:31 AM

Liked: 11
Are you connecting with HDMI cables or component or composite? Do you have a high defination feed from a high def cable box? Something seems wrong.
post #5 of 10 Old 05-16-2010, 05:42 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by choski View Post

Hey Guys, I just bought a S2 from amazon.com and am really not impressed with the picture of the unit I have. Loved the picture in store but mine just is not the same. Constantly adjusted the settings and just cannot rid of the grainy look. Very annoying and when watching Blu-Ray, its almost no better than a regular DVD. Just can see the grainy dots bouncing around and its not a solid picture.
I just the digital tuner and I think the best picture i can get is when watching a HDTV broadcast from NBC.

Any recommendations on getting rid of this grainy look? Customer support pretty much said I have to live with it. Also I have done about 100 hours of break in.

I almost want to swap TV's but know it would probally be a pain working with amazon

If the grain is absolutely still when you pause the movie, it is most likely film grain you are seeing. If the grain dances around even if you paused, then it might be something wrong with your settings.
post #6 of 10 Old 05-16-2010, 08:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Sounds like all previous non-THX models that have extra noise in all modes except cinema. Use cinema and get used to it. It will look weird at first because you are used to brighter modes, but it really is the best. Also, put in a pixar blu-ray and judge from that. It could be your source.
post #7 of 10 Old 05-17-2010, 02:37 PM
Advanced Member

Panasonic has a softer, noisier picture than the Samsungs and LGs. go with Cinema or exchange for a C550 or PK550.

XBL Gamertag: RagingPhinsFan
post #8 of 10 Old 06-20-2010, 08:26 PM

Just got through setting up my new TC-P50S2. After about two hours, everything dead except the power LED blinking. Any ideas?
post #9 of 10 Old 06-20-2010, 08:45 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Have you tried my trick and paused the Blu-ray? If the grain halts, then it is inherently in the film. It is supposed to look that way.
post #10 of 10 Old 06-20-2010, 10:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 61
You need to call Panasonic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tobyrd01 View Post

Just got through setting up my new TC-P50S2. After about two hours, everything dead except the power LED blinking. Any ideas?

Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page