HTPC and plasma, good or bad? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 05-16-2010, 07:28 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I reside in Korea and the prices for LCD and LED displays here are crazy! For example, the LH90 is about 1000 more. However, for some reason the plasmas are cheap. However, I use my display with my htpc and ps3. I surf with the htpc as well.

My understanding is that a htpc connection with a plasma is not a good idea due to burn in. I read some posts of people saying that they are okay with gaming, but what about a htpc? Does anyone here have any experience they can comment on?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 05-16-2010, 07:38 AM

i just got one for my htpc and I do moderate gaming. I did experience some burn in (not image retention). You deffinately have to be more careful with it. I was able to invert the hud of the game i was playing and remove the burn in but it can happen. It may be better if you wait longer than I did to start playing. I was at just over 100 hours.
post #3 of 10 Old 05-16-2010, 09:11 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks. I'm also worried about the windows start button and icons. Invert it?

You have to wait to play games?
post #4 of 10 Old 05-16-2010, 10:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
just make sure to keep a screen saver set to turn on after at most 5 min of inactivity and the worst that will happen is some temporary image retention.

also do not use the PC with the TV within the first 100-200 hours of use, this is the break in period for the phosphors and they are much more susceptible to perm burn in during this period

If you're a gamer or interested in using an LCD TV as a primary monitor take a look at my thread on
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 10 Old 05-16-2010, 03:44 PM - Thread Starter

Ok thanks. Sometimes though screensavers don't turn on, which worries me.
After a bit more reading Im under the impression that all plasmas have a glossy glare screen. Is this true as my room is really bright and I hate glare?
post #6 of 10 Old 05-16-2010, 04:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by jediman View Post

i just got one for my htpc and I do moderate gaming. I did experience some burn in (not image retention). You deffinately have to be more careful with it. I was able to invert the hud of the game i was playing and remove the burn in but it can happen. It may be better if you wait longer than I did to start playing. I was at just over 100 hours.

Hey man, good to hear you were able to fix the burn-in. Can you tell me how you were able to invert the hud? I can guess it would be easy with a PC game, but what about if the HUD was from a console?
post #7 of 10 Old 05-16-2010, 06:40 PM
AVS Special Member

If you have orbiter or similar BI prevention tech on your plasma turn them on max and leave them on.

For HTPC, I use the windows 7 background slideshow to constantly change the background randomly every 10seconds or so.

Set the windows taskbar to autohide and remove any icons from the desktop if using the plasma as a primary monitor. Get in the habit of clicking the show desktop button before walking off as well if using it for that purpose to clear off any windows sitting on the screen. If you have a main pc monitor, using the plasma as a secondary display is the best bet.

To echo what other people said, i would avoid htpc use for the first 500-1000 hours or so. I also would not use it as a primary pc monitor. Use it for viewing things like videos etc... and photos. Occasional surfing is fine, but if your primary activities are heavy gaming and heavy surfing you will prob. get BI.
post #8 of 10 Old 05-16-2010, 09:58 PM - Thread Starter

Ok. Well I watch everything on my htpc and I play the ps3, not often, but when I do it is for a long period of time. I guess I will have to go with an LCD. The prices are almost triple here for them though.
post #9 of 10 Old 05-17-2010, 04:00 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by jediman View Post

No you had image retention not burn-in. If you had burn-in you would not have gotten rid of it and you would still be staring at it kicking yourself for buying a five year old panel, because current models do not suffer from real burn-in unless horribly abused (and even that may not cause burn-in).
post #10 of 10 Old 05-17-2010, 04:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrillho View Post

No you had image retention not burn-in. If you had burn-in you would not have gotten rid of it and you would still be staring at it kicking yourself for buying a five year old panel, because current models do not suffer from real burn-in unless horribly abused (and even that may not cause burn-in).

I thought burn-in was just uneven phosphor aging, in which case it can be reversed by simply aging the less-used phosphors to match the burn-in'd ones.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page