How Close to The Ceiling Can a Plasma Be? - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 18 Old 05-17-2010, 03:49 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I was considering a large plasma, the LG 60PK550, but have realized that although the TV would fit above our mantle just barely that the top of the TV would be very close to our ceiling. I'm thinking that that is probably not a very good situation for both the TV and the ceiling. is there a general rule about how close to the ceiling the top of a plasma can be? Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 05-17-2010, 05:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
turn it on for a few hours and put your hand oer the top see how hot it gets!
post #3 of 18 Old 05-17-2010, 05:32 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaddix View Post

turn it on for a few hours and put your hand oer the top see how hot it gets!

Thanks ... I'll buy a $1600 TV, hang it up, and see if it works out for me. Duh.

Ever think maybe I'd want to find out first whether or not I could do this?

There must be people, Chris from Cleveland plasma, or somebody else, who could possibly help me with this.

Thanks in advance.
post #4 of 18 Old 05-17-2010, 05:40 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 93
^^^

imo, you'll likely be ok if you give it a few inches to breathe... as long as the heat has somewhere to go...

it should be noted that the worst place to put a display is over a fireplace... frankly, i'd be much more worried about heat/crap from below than the heat that's coming out of the plasma...

besides the fact that it's uncomfortable to be looking up at a display all the time...

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1332917/ccotenj-finally-gets-a-projector

post #5 of 18 Old 05-17-2010, 06:07 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tunnelight06 View Post

Thanks ... I'll buy a $1600 TV, hang it up, and see if it works out for me. Duh.

Ever think maybe I'd want to find out first whether or not I could do this?

There must be people, Chris from Cleveland plasma, or somebody else, who could possibly help me with this.

Thanks in advance.

You'll probably get more people willing to help by not acting like a jerk.

XBL Gamertag: RagingPhinsFan
post #6 of 18 Old 05-17-2010, 06:25 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccotenj View Post

^^^

imo, you'll likely be ok if you give it a few inches to breathe... as long as the heat has somewhere to go...

it should be noted that the worst place to put a display is over a fireplace... frankly, i'd be much more worried about heat/crap from below than the heat that's coming out of the plasma...

besides the fact that it's uncomfortable to be looking up at a display all the time...

Thanks Chris. We have a 52" LCD over the fireplace right now and have never had a problem. We have a fireplace insert that we only put on low that really doesn't generate too much heat. The only problem is that I think there will only be about an inch of space above the TV if we hang this LG up.

I suppose I could have the mantle, which is actually a railroad tie, cut down about two inches. I know nothing about cutting wood so I don't even know if that would be feasible. I doubt very much we would be able to take down the mantle before we cut it.

Maybe I should be on a woodworking forum for that one!
post #7 of 18 Old 05-17-2010, 06:28 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sadmaker View Post

You'll probably get more people willing to help by not acting like a jerk.

Actually if you read his answer, who exactly was being the jerk? My vote is for him, and frankly my second vote is for you.

I always love people who respond to posts by relating nothing to the actual post, only to criticize someone.
post #8 of 18 Old 05-17-2010, 06:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

Actually if you read his answer, who exactly was being the jerk? My vote is for him, and frankly my second vote is for you.

I always love people who respond to posts by relating nothing to the actual post, only to criticize someone.

Hey man, I was just giving you an idea that it seemed like you missed. I figured noone replied since the obvious answer was to just feel how hot it gets and then make a judgement.

And YES, you SHOULD buy a 1600 dollar TV and have it in your home before you make your decision. You can't judge how a tv is going to look without actually having it in your viewing environment first. It's much better, and very common, to already have the TV in your possession and then make a decision on whether or not to keep it, instead of making your final decision that of clicking the confirm order button.

Actually, even though you're a bitch, I'll help you out. I happen to have the exact TV you're talking about. The grill on the back near the top of the set gets quite hot to the touch. You couldn't keep your hand on it without it being uncomfortable. But the bezel will force about an inch and a half between the grill and your ceiling even if its flush. So as long as you have another inch or so of clearance you should be fine. And **** you.
post #9 of 18 Old 05-17-2010, 06:42 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaddix View Post

Hey man, I was just giving you an idea that it seemed like you missed. I figured noone replied since the obvious answer was to just feel how hot it gets and then make a judgement.

And YES, you SHOULD buy a 1600 dollar TV and have it in your home before you make your decision. You can't judge how a tv is going to look without actually having it in your viewing environment first. It's much better, and very common, to already have the TV in your possession and then make a decision on whether or not to keep it, instead of making your final decision that of clicking the confirm order button.

Actually, even though you're a bitch, I'll help you out. I happen to have the exact TV you're talking about. The grill on the back near the top of the set gets quite hot to the touch. You couldn't keep your hand on it without it being uncomfortable. But the bezel will force about an inch and a half between the grill and your ceiling even if its flush. So as long as you have another inch or so of clearance you should be fine. And **** you.

Wow man, thanks for the information about the bezel forcing about an inch and a half of space, but I really think you have some issues!

For what it's worth.
post #10 of 18 Old 05-17-2010, 07:25 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Not sure how you came to the conclusion that I didnt read your original post bc I called you out for being a douchebag, but whatever. You were the one being critical and condescending bc he didn't give you the answer you wanted to hear(which is really the only logical way, test it and keep it or take it back). Anyway, good luck with your purchase. Ultimately, its up to you to do your own research.

post #11 of 18 Old 05-17-2010, 07:37 AM - Thread Starter

It's funny how the words jerk, bitch, F@@k and douchbag have been used, yet I'm the problem.
post #12 of 18 Old 05-17-2010, 07:40 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

It's funny how the words jerk, bitch, F@@k and douchbag have been used, yet I'm the problem.

You're the one inciting these types of responses.

post #13 of 18 Old 05-17-2010, 07:54 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I'm with shaddix, your response to his fairly benign post was what started this thread along this path.

You don't need to bring it home per se; go to the store and feel how hot the TVs get as they're on all day.

Besides the fact that putting a TV above a mantle makes little sense to me, you probably could have thought this one out yourself instead of asking for help.
post #14 of 18 Old 05-17-2010, 07:59 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrist View Post

I'm with shaddix, your response to his fairly benign post was what started this thread along this path.

You don't need to bring it home per se; go to the store and feel how hot the TVs get as they're on all day.

Besides the fact that putting a TV above a mantle makes little sense to me, you probably could have thought this one out yourself instead of asking for help.

I'm starting to think you guys are the same person. Either that, or I've entered the Twilight Zone.
post #15 of 18 Old 05-17-2010, 12:02 PM
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 230 Post(s)
Liked: 576
Quote:

I was considering a large plasma, the LG 60PK550, but have realized that although the TV would fit above our mantle just barely that the top of the TV would be very close to our ceiling. I'm thinking that that is probably not a very good situation for both the TV and the ceiling. is there a general rule about how close to the ceiling the top of a plasma can be?

Typically the manufacturer suggests a certain amount of clearance above the TV to allow heat to escape. That figure is probably in the 2" to 4" range. LG probably has the operating manuals on their website, and this info should be in the manual so maybe have a look. Personally, i think the manufacturers are being on the safe side in these requirements and you might be able to get away with an inch or two, especially since the TV is mounted on an open wall. My PZ700U and G10 put out very little heat along the top vents, it's a little warm air coming from the fans. The sheetmetal is only warm to the touch, not hot at all.

Usually a fireplace doesn't expel enough heat to be a problem with a flat panel TV - Panasonic for instance rates it's plasma TVs for use above a fireplace as long as the temperate doesn't exceed 104F, and the space above a mantle is usually not that warm. I have never ever heard of anyone's flat panel TV being damaged from being mounted above a fireplace, and i've been reading this forum for 9 years now.

Randy
Sony 55W800B, Panasonic TC-P55ST60, TC-P50GT50, TC-P46G10, TH-42PZ700U, TiVo Series3 & Premiere, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR333 AVR, URC R40 Remote.
Pic of My A/V setup - http://cdn.avsforum.com/f/f1/900x900..._Img_4867.jpeg
Gallery - http://www.avsforum.com/g/a/2082686/randywalter...
post #16 of 18 Old 05-17-2010, 12:28 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 93
^^^

i wouldn't be worried as much about the heat from the fireplace... it's the soot that would concern me... that's gotta grunge up a screen pretty bad...

besides the fact that it's the worst possible spot to watch it...

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1332917/ccotenj-finally-gets-a-projector

post #17 of 18 Old 05-17-2010, 01:07 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccotenj View Post

^^^

i wouldn't be worried as much about the heat from the fireplace... it's the soot that would concern me... that's gotta grunge up a screen pretty bad...

besides the fact that it's the worst possible spot to watch it...

I have no soot because we use an insert and do not burn wood, but frankly I've decided after looking at the Samsung C550 and LG PK550 that there really is not enough of a difference between the two for me to be concerned.

Where I think the LG has possibly better color and contrast/black levels. The Samsung has a much better anti glare screen which is probably the reason why the LG has the advantages in blacks and contrast. The Samsung frame is also nicer IMO. I lose 2 inches of screen but what can you do, life is full of tradeoffs.

Frankly to gain the extra inch of space between the vent of the TV and ceiling I'm thinking might give me less problems in the long run and/or greater piece of mind.

I want to thank those who have helped me with my question.

I'm sure you can rest easy now that I have made my decision.
post #18 of 18 Old 05-17-2010, 08:30 PM

I am too deciding on the LG PK500 and SAMMY C550.
I noticed that the SAMMY has a better AR. And I also found that it ran a tad bit cooler. Not a lot, but a little cooler.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page