The Official LG xxPK950 Owner's Discussion Thread - Page 10 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #271 of 1360 Old 08-24-2010, 02:23 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
do you know an easy way to post pictures on this? it will only let me link to pictures on the internet, and i have the pictures as files on my desktop...

An update though now, it's been about 8 hours since I woke up this morning and noticed the dots, but now they're 99% gone. You can't see them when the TV is on, and when it's off, you have to look REALLY closely, and even then there are only a slight-whitish blur where the dots were. Maybe it was just residual voltage or something?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 1360 Old 08-24-2010, 07:12 PM

I've got a problem with my new LG 60PK950. When the A/V mode is on anything but THX cinema mode, the display spontaneously gets brighter and dimmer. It happens sporadically every 10-30 seconds. Any idea what the problem is?

I've had the TV for about a week and I just noticed it today.
post #273 of 1360 Old 08-24-2010, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elmanx View Post

I've got a problem with my new LG 60PK950. When the A/V mode is on anything but THX cinema mode, the display spontaneously gets brighter and dimmer. It happens sporadically every 10-30 seconds. Any idea what the problem is?

I've had the TV for about a week and I just noticed it today.

Yeah, you have on Energy Saving. I have done that many times myself. Sucks that they put a dedicated button for it on the remote, too easy to accidentally activate it.

Just turn it off and you should be good.
post #274 of 1360 Old 08-25-2010, 09:52 AM

just pulled the trigger on a 50pk950 this morning. now i have to patiently wait 3 weeks until it arrives in the store.. i guess it is backordered right now in our area or for best buy.. i dunno, but i can't wait!
post #275 of 1360 Old 08-25-2010, 05:23 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmycarbone View Post

just pulled the trigger on a 50pk950 this morning. now i have to patiently wait 3 weeks until it arrives in the store.. i guess it is backordered right now in our area or for best buy.. i dunno, but i can't wait!

probably coulda got it online for cheaper than best buy, and its in stock

PSN ID - MikeyRaw8
post #276 of 1360 Old 08-25-2010, 07:11 PM

after all is said and done im gonna pay about $900.. i'm a best buy employee and there is an lg accomadation going on right now.. so i'll deal with the wait for the awesome deal..
post #277 of 1360 Old 08-25-2010, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by filthgrinder View Post

Yeah, you have on Energy Saving. I have done that many times myself. Sucks that they put a dedicated button for it on the remote, too easy to accidentally activate it.

Just turn it off and you should be good.

Thanks a lot. That seemed to work. I was pretty worried that something was seriously wrong
post #278 of 1360 Old 08-26-2010, 06:00 PM

Anybody have any issues playing 1080p content? I just got an LG bd570 and I've had inconsistent results. Avatar looks great (crystal clear), but Star Trek and 300 look a tad grainy. I'm pretty sure 300 is Supposed to have that as an effect but I didn't think Star Trek would have any tinge of grain. Am I missing a setting somewhere?
post #279 of 1360 Old 08-26-2010, 06:09 PM

i was wondering if anyone had any advice on the specifics for the break-in process on a 50pk950? i was planning on using the usb drive method from http://www.webapalooza.com/plasma/index.php but was wondering if there was any adjustments i should make on the tv to the brightness or contrast or anything? and also how long i should run the slides at a time and how long overall i should run it? any help/experience/info would be super!
post #280 of 1360 Old 08-27-2010, 05:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by predtv View Post

Anybody have any issues playing 1080p content? I just got an LG bd570 and I've had inconsistent results. Avatar looks great (crystal clear), but Star Trek and 300 look a tad grainy. I'm pretty sure 300 is Supposed to have that as an effect but I didn't think Star Trek would have any tinge of grain. Am I missing a setting somewhere?

Only on downloaded media. Not with "raw/original" media. Remember even 22GB 1080p rips are still compressed.

Quote:

i was wondering if anyone had any advice on the specifics for the break-in process on a 50pk950? i was planning on using the usb drive method from http://www.webapalooza.com/plasma/index.php but was wondering if there was any adjustments i should make on the tv to the brightness or contrast or anything? and also how long i should run the slides at a time and how long overall i should run it? any help/experience/info would be super!

The "break-in" progress we used to do with plasmas are not really needed anymore. It's fine to just use your TV as you normally would, about "200" hours of use is the "break-in". I just played the Avatar movie on a loop, it has a great variety of color/contrast on Standard Mode.
post #281 of 1360 Old 08-27-2010, 09:56 AM

Noted, but I'm talking about all bd content, no rips. I guess if I've seen something look crystal clear (avatar, bolt) then it must be the content and not my equipment. Thanks for the info.
post #282 of 1360 Old 08-27-2010, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by predtv View Post

Noted, but I'm talking about all bd content, no rips. I guess if I've seen something look crystal clear (avatar, bolt) then it must be the content and not my equipment. Thanks for the info.

That's very true. Animated movies are very crisp. "Real" will almost look out of focus compared.
post #283 of 1360 Old 08-27-2010, 07:53 PM

Quote:

The "break-in" progress we used to do with plasmas are not really needed anymore. It's fine to just use your TV as you normally would, about "200" hours of use is the "break-in". I just played the Avatar movie on a loop, it has a great variety of color/contrast on Standard Mode.

really? i mean i know it's not completely necessary but i wanna treat my new baby well.. 50% of my tv's use is going to be for gaming.. i figured it wouldn't be a good idea to jump right into a 3 hour call of duty session right out of the box..? it won't do any good to go through a breakin process of any sort?
post #284 of 1360 Old 08-27-2010, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elmanx View Post

Thanks a lot. That seemed to work. I was pretty worried that something was seriously wrong

Yeah, I was doing that too until I realized what it was. I LOVE this TV, but I'm experiencing IR pretty frequently, even with contrast and brightness on 50%. I don't notice it when watching anything, only when the screen is dark. I know IR is fairly normal, but is this something that improves with time and usage?

Anything I can do in the settings besides contrast and brightness to alleviate this? Thanks guys.
post #285 of 1360 Old 08-28-2010, 03:08 PM

Quote:

really? i mean i know it's not completely necessary but i wanna treat my new baby well.. 50% of my tv's use is going to be for gaming.. i figured it wouldn't be a good idea to jump right into a 3 hour call of duty session right out of the box..? it won't do any good to go through a breakin process of any sort?

If gaming is going to be such a huge part of use, then yeah. I guess I would do a break-in period.

Also, don't forget to use Orbiter when gaming.
post #286 of 1360 Old 08-28-2010, 03:23 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 15
How does the PK950 compare to the Samsung 8000 in terms of screen reflections and picture quality?
post #287 of 1360 Old 08-28-2010, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeSony View Post

How does the PK950 compare to the Samsung 8000 in terms of screen reflections and picture quality?

I was just looking at this scenario myself. I watched a movie for about 15 minutes on both these units sitting side by side in a semi-dark room. I thought both pictures looked great and were too close to tell a difference. However, reflections were more prevalent on the PK950.
post #288 of 1360 Old 08-28-2010, 05:14 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan711 View Post

I was just looking at this scenario myself. I watched a movie for about 15 minutes on both these units sitting side by side in a semi-dark room. I thought both pictures looked great and were too close to tell a difference. However, reflections were more prevalent on the PK950.

i would say if you dont want/need the 3d the 8000 has, go with the cheaper LG....the reason it costs so much more is the 3d

PSN ID - MikeyRaw8
post #289 of 1360 Old 08-28-2010, 06:00 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyraw View Post

i would say if you dont want/need the 3d the 8000 has, go with the cheaper LG....the reason it costs so much more is the 3d

It will be interesting to see where the street pricing on the upcoming PX950 that will have 3D comes in at in comparison to Samsung's C8000 series, although the LG will top out at 60" versus Samsung's 63".
post #290 of 1360 Old 08-28-2010, 06:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 24
I've had my tv for about 8 weeks and now the smaller Wii-like remote will only turn the tv on and off. Can't use it to change channels, volume, or enter the menu. I programmed an old Sony universal remote to replace it but I'm disappointed that it malfaunctioned so quickly.
post #291 of 1360 Old 08-29-2010, 04:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by audit13 View Post

I've had my tv for about 8 weeks and now the smaller Wii-like remote will only turn the tv on and off. Can't use it to change channels, volume, or enter the menu. I programmed an old Sony universal remote to replace it but I'm disappointed that it malfaunctioned so quickly.

Gee, don't send it in on the warranty or anything....god forbid you should do that!
post #292 of 1360 Old 08-29-2010, 07:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Gee, don't send it in on the warranty or anything....god forbid you should do that!

Huh? Why bring religion into it?
post #293 of 1360 Old 08-29-2010, 10:13 AM

Liked: 11
I have had the 60PK950 now for about 3 weeks an absolutely love it...amazing pq, and a great display for gaming also as there is virtually no input lag and zero phosphor trailing (which is quite a feat when you consider the fact that Samsung and Panasonic PDP's are still affected by these issues!).
That said...has anyone spent time calibrating this t.v? I have tried the settings as recommended by David K. on CNET...and the blacks are definitely better than they are in THX Bright Room or THX Cinema...but I still feel like there is room for improvement in black level without sacraficing 'punch'.
The one thing that dispappointed me in the Flat Panels HD and CNET reviews is that niether of them spent the time to calibrate the set using the 20pt IRE...seems like a waste of video control options not too!
My quandry is that I would prefer to NOT spend $400 to have an ISF certified calibrator come in when I can use the settings myself to achive near-perfect pq. A buddy of mine has the Pioneer KRP800M and he recently had an "ISF certified" calibrator come in and adjust the settings...end result - terrible.
I live in Montreal, Canada...and so ISF calibrators are not exactly abundant - much less one's that come highly recommended.
I'm surprised there hasn't been more discussion on this thread about recommended settings to achieve the optimal pq!
post #294 of 1360 Old 08-29-2010, 04:34 PM
L7R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris0119 View Post

I have had the 60PK950 now for about 3 weeks an absolutely love it...amazing pq, and a great display for gaming also as there is virtually no input lag and zero phosphor trailing (which is quite a feat when you consider the fact that Samsung and Panasonic PDP's are still affected by these issues!).
That said...has anyone spent time calibrating this t.v? I have tried the settings as recommended by David K. on CNET...and the blacks are definitely better than they are in THX Bright Room or THX Cinema...but I still feel like there is room for improvement in black level without sacraficing 'punch'.
The one thing that dispappointed me in the Flat Panels HD and CNET reviews is that niether of them spent the time to calibrate the set using the 20pt IRE...seems like a waste of video control options not too!
My quandry is that I would prefer to NOT spend $400 to have an ISF certified calibrator come in when I can use the settings myself to achive near-perfect pq. A buddy of mine has the Pioneer KRP800M and he recently had an "ISF certified" calibrator come in and adjust the settings...end result - terrible.
I live in Montreal, Canada...and so ISF calibrators are not exactly abundant - much less one's that come highly recommended.
I'm surprised there hasn't been more discussion on this thread about recommended settings to achieve the optimal pq!

There is a bug on 20pt IRE controls. Using it is basically hit and miss. Almost neverending task.

Put all enchanced settings OFF.
Set brightness so when blacks just start to change to dark gray and go back one step (usually 54-56). Set sharpness to 50/50. Set color space to warm.

Everything else is up to you. All I did was decreasing red contrast to -12 (minus 12) and green brightness to -20 (minus 20) under 2pt IRE. This eliminates red push which I have on THX cinema.

My settings:

Expert 1:
Contrast 60-94 depending on room lighting.
Brightness 56
Sharpness 50/50
Color 50 (46 on integrated digital tuner)
Tint 0

Dynamic Contrast - OFF
Dynamic Color - OFF
Noise Reduction - OFF (can be useful on low quality sources, though)
Gamma - Medium
Black Level - LOW
Color Gamut - NORMAL (this is very important)
Edge Enchancer - OFF (I put it on sometimes on standard tv or cartoons/CGI)
Colour Temperature - WARM
Film Mode - ON

2pt IRE
Red contrast -10 to -20 (minus 10 to minus 20) depending on source
Green brightness -20 to -30 (minus 20 to minus 30)
Everything else - 0

I found these setting more useful under daylight than THX Bright Room:
Normal
Contrast 100
Brightness 62
Sharpness 50/50
Color 50-54
Tint 0

Dynamic Contrast - ON

Everything else like on previous settings.
post #295 of 1360 Old 08-30-2010, 04:24 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reparto Corse View Post

So how do you like the 60PK950 now after you have had it for a few weeks? How did the calibration go? I think this is the TV I'm going with. I was hoping to see a review from Cleveland Plasma.

The TV is still not widely available yet for purchase in the US. The best price yet is around $2,450.

6ave has it through amazon for 2128

PSN ID - MikeyRaw8
post #296 of 1360 Old 08-30-2010, 05:49 AM

Thanks to all of you for information about this model. I wanted the V25 but couldn't justify the price and didn't want to risk a buzzer so avoided the c8000 (don't care / want 3d). So I just bought a 60pk950 yesterday from BB to replace my 50" 75u (a great TV but wanted 1080p and bigger).

BB lists the TV at $2799 and had it on sale for $2399 but a salesman mentioned they were selling it previously for $2199. I said I'd take it at that price and the manager ok'd it....even though it was a Magnolia item. Apparently BB can access Magnolia stock. I know I paid tax & this price is a bit higher than Amazon / Buy.com but I like the ability to return locally and and 36 months 0%is tough to beat.

I'm really excited and looking forward to seeing my new baby.
post #297 of 1360 Old 08-30-2010, 07:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sustain13 View Post

Thanks to all of you for information about this model. I wanted the V25 but couldn't justify the price and didn't want to risk a buzzer so avoided the c8000 (don't care / want 3d). So I just bought a 60pk950 yesterday from BB to replace my 50" 75u (a great TV but wanted 1080p and bigger).

BB lists the TV at $2799 and had it on sale for $2399 but a salesman mentioned they were selling it previously for $2199. I said I'd take it at that price and the manager ok'd it....even though it was a Magnolia item. Apparently BB can access Magnolia stock. I know I paid tax & this price is a bit higher than Amazon / Buy.com but I like the ability to return locally and and 36 months 0%is tough to beat.

Congrats on your new purchase. I'm sure you'll be very happy with the television. I was also considering the Panny 25 but couldn't justify paying more for less screen realestate.
post #298 of 1360 Old 08-30-2010, 04:25 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sustain13 View Post

i almost got caught in the 3d hype myself, but i will wait until just before the superbowl to pick this tv up

PSN ID - MikeyRaw8
post #299 of 1360 Old 08-30-2010, 04:30 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by audit13 View Post

Congrats on your new purchase. I'm sure you'll be very happy with the television. I was also considering the Panny 25 but couldn't justify paying more for less screen realestate.

Same here...there was no question in my mind that at the VT25 was a 'better' t.v all around...plus the added benefit of 3D...BUT - I do not beliive there to be a better value on the market than the 50" or 60" PK950 when you consider all things, most specifically the performance to price ratio.
This is truely a phenomenal set, and the price is totally awesome considering what you get. I live in Canada and bought my 60PK950 for $2275.00...it was listed at $2800.00.
The Panny 58" VT25 is listed at $3999.00...INSANE - my wife would have divorced me if I had of pulled the trigger on that!! lol
The 'buzzers' (Samsung) were not an option as far as I was concerned...and I was adamant about Plasma - and so was left really with only one choice - this LG.
Considered the G25 Panny...but the 24fps playback issues...and the black level issues of last years Panny models really kind of turned me away from them.
I am totally satisfied with my decision - until this year LG was never in contention in my mind...interesting how things change I guess!
post #300 of 1360 Old 08-30-2010, 04:54 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris0119 View Post

Same here...there was no question in my mind that at the VT25 was a 'better' t.v all around...plus the added benefit of 3D...BUT - I do not beliive there to be a better value on the market than the 50" or 60" PK950 when you consider all things, most specifically the performance to price ratio.
This is truely a phenomenal set, and the price is totally awesome considering what you get. I live in Canada and bought my 60PK950 for $2275.00...it was listed at $2800.00.
The Panny 58" VT25 is listed at $3999.00...INSANE - my wife would have divorced me if I had of pulled the trigger on that!! lol
The 'buzzers' (Samsung) were not an option as far as I was concerned...and I was adamant about Plasma - and so was left really with only one choice - this LG.
Considered the G25 Panny...but the 24fps playback issues...and the black level issues of last years Panny models really kind of turned me away from them.
I am totally satisfied with my decision - until this year LG was never in contention in my mind...interesting how things change I guess!

i have an 85u that has rising blacks, and continous 10 blinks of death, fresh out of warranty....ill never buy another panny plasma, if you shoot over to the panny blinks of death thread, there are a few people even with the vt's that have it already

PSN ID - MikeyRaw8
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Lg Infinia 60pk950 60 Inch 1080p Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page