The Official LG xxPK950 Owner's Discussion Thread - Page 13 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #361 of 1360 Old 09-10-2010, 10:42 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
goldrecord, and others, is it possible to take pictures during day, so i can make it out for my own, to see how "bad" reflections are please?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 1360 Old 09-10-2010, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeSony View Post

White spots on the panel or in the panel? Is it visible when viewing content? Posting some pics would be helpful.

The thing is, they appear and disappear and change shape as well. It looks as if its IN the panel, like the white dots are part of the panel. You can see them when the TV is off AND when its on. I'm going to try moving the television around the room for a few days to see what happens. It looks as if it happens when the light in the room increases, because when the curtains are closed, they don't appear. Next time they appear I'll take pictures.
post #363 of 1360 Old 09-10-2010, 12:06 PM

Liked: 11
What is the differences between the 50pk950 and the 50pk550?

Is the main difference the contrast and true black filter?

Are they the same panels? Do they reflect the same or does the 950 handle reflections better?

Thanks
post #364 of 1360 Old 09-10-2010, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardcore View Post

What is the differences between the 50pk950 and the 50pk550?

Is the main difference the contrast and true black filter?

Are they the same panels? Do they reflect the same or does the 950 handle reflections better?

Thanks

Trublack Filter...better contrast ratio (apparently as per LG). It handles 24fps content prefectly, for some reason the PK550 does not. Check the LG site and do a comparison...but for some reason the 550 owners thread have been reporting more 'issues' than the 950 thread. Iput lag is reportedly very bad on the 550 whereas on the 950 I have noticed NO issues in this respect.
It is LG's flagship t.v...and so there is no way to actually determine what the exact differences are on a component level - I would venture a guess that the 950 has a slightly different architecture than does the 550 but I could be wrong. The 950 definitely handles reflection issues better, but if you will be using a very very bright room - even the 950 is not the best T.v for the job, consider Samsung or Panny but get then run the risk of getting a buzzer (Samsung), or floating blacks and phosphor trailing (Panny). Best best is to get the 950, and buy a good set of curtains to 'black out' your viewing area during the day. Non-issue for me seeing as the T.V is in the basement...
post #365 of 1360 Old 09-10-2010, 05:04 PM

Reflections are an issue for me during the day and I'm not really willing to get an lcd because I watch a lot of hockey and want the pq from the plasma. Also, in my neck of the woods sun goes down as early as 5:00pm during the dead of winter which is also prime hockey season.

I also don't think my 2 year old will care if the wiggles reflect too much!

Thanks for the reply though. I think I will wait a bit but the 950 is appealing also for the lack of input lag in case I eventually get a ps3
post #366 of 1360 Old 09-10-2010, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardcore View Post

Reflections are an issue for me during the day and I'm not really willing to get an lcd because I watch a lot of hockey and want the pq from the plasma. Also, in my neck of the woods sun goes down as early as 5:00pm during the dead of winter which is also prime hockey season.

I also don't think my 2 year old will care if the wiggles reflect too much!

Thanks for the reply though. I think I will wait a bit but the 950 is appealing also for the lack of input lag in case I eventually get a ps3

Indeed...hockey is a huge part (or soon-to-be-huge) portion of my content viewing, so for me Plasma was a no-brainer. Rest assured, and no fanboy'ism involved, you won't find a better price-to-performance ratio on the market than LG PDP's, specifically the 950 IMHO.
post #367 of 1360 Old 09-11-2010, 03:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skank View Post

goldrecord, and others, is it possible to take pictures during day, so i can make it out for my own, to see how "bad" reflections are please?

anyone?
post #368 of 1360 Old 09-11-2010, 08:56 AM

I figured out the white dots problem!!! After careful experimentation, it turns out nothing was wrong with my original PK950, and I went through the whole return for nothing . The white dots were/are caused by the sunlight literally shining through the gratings on the back of the tv and appearing as white spots directly in the panel! I'm surprised i'm the first to notice this, as wouldn't anyone who put their PK950 against a window notice this too?
post #369 of 1360 Old 09-11-2010, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris0119 View Post

So long as you are sensible, don't game excessively for the first 100 hours or so, use the orbiter when you are viewing static images and always adjust content to fill the entire screen, you WILL NOT HAVE ANY IR issues - guaranteed!

What does the orbiter do exactly? I didn't know of that feature until reading this here.
post #370 of 1360 Old 09-11-2010, 03:59 PM

Just picked my 50pk950 up today finally, after waiting almost 3 weeks aftrer purchasing. Yay! Going to try to play with some calibration settings tonight, and give her a test run with some modern warfare 2. More to come later!
post #371 of 1360 Old 09-11-2010, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by td2243 View Post

What does the orbiter do exactly? I didn't know of that feature until reading this here.

It shifts the image on the screen left, right, up or down every few minutes by a few pixels either way - thereby eliminating static images being lit by the same pixels/phosphors. Good to use if you do a fair amount of gaming, otherwise under normal viewing habits IR or BURN IN are not an issue and so the Orbiter isn't needed.
post #372 of 1360 Old 09-12-2010, 12:19 PM

Well I have it coupled with the Dish 722k so it looks like I'm SOL for grey bars selection - cant find anything for the 722 either.

Oh and one more thing - set the slides to run while out of town the past few days. Get back to find out there was power outage so have no idea how many hours they have been running!

Edit: Just checked the hours and it read 71 so lost about 24 hours or so - assuming it was at 0 out of the box.
post #373 of 1360 Old 09-13-2010, 09:27 AM

Quote:

Does anyone know if LG plans to release a 'fix' to the 20pt IRE calibration system? Everything I have read makes mention of the inaccuracy of trying to dial in the picture settings using the 20pt IRE...
I would say at this point this is the ONLY real downfall of this T.V...all of these video adjustment options and we cannot even use them to get a perfectly calibrated picture! While the 2pt IRE settings that are recommended on CNET improve the quality over the the THX modes...I can't help but feel as though there is still room for improvement IF ONLY the advanced color controls actually functioned as they were intended.
By no means a 'deal-breaker', but a shame nonetheless...

Is this calibration issue the only thing plaguing the PK950 series? Is there any work-around this issue even if it will take longer? I'm looking at purchasing this but came with Chad B's comment on problems with calibration?

http://hdtvbychadb.com/reviews.htm

Thank you.
post #374 of 1360 Old 09-13-2010, 05:51 PM

Maybe I missed something but I didn't see a review of the pk950 on that link.
post #375 of 1360 Old 09-13-2010, 06:22 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by predtv View Post

Maybe I missed something but I didn't see a review of the pk950 on that link.

Chad reviewed the PK750 not the PK950.
post #376 of 1360 Old 09-13-2010, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanbrenton View Post

Is this calibration issue the only thing plaguing the PK950 series? Is there any work-around this issue even if it will take longer? I'm looking at purchasing this but came with Chad B's comment on problems with calibration?

http://hdtvbychadb.com/reviews.htm

Thank you.

Anyone? The sale ends tonight
post #377 of 1360 Old 09-13-2010, 07:54 PM

Quote:

Anyone? The sale ends tonight

I would not consider the lack of ability (re: 20pt IRE settings) a "deal breaker" by any stretch. I have managed to use the 2pt IRE settings from Flatpanels Hd and make a few minor adjustments to contrast and brightness to acheive a nearly perfect picture. Maybe the grayscale tracking isn't perfectly uniform to 6500K, and perhaps the gamma isn't 'dead-on', but this t.v is so spot on from the get-go that if you prefer not to tinker at all you can use one of the THX modes and get a fantastic picture. For everything it does do well (which is everything literally - excellent color, fantastic shadow detail, very good black level, 24fps playback, low inout lag for gaming) - there is no better deal on the market I feel from a price-to-performance ratio.
Do yourself a favor and pick it up - as everyone else can attest too on this thread, this t.v is a giant-killer.
post #378 of 1360 Old 09-13-2010, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeSony View Post

Chad reviewed the PK750 not the PK950.

Speaking of which I wonder why he has not reviewed LG's flagship offering...?? Perhpas he will review soon - curious to read what his findings are and how they compare to the other professional reviews who widely endorsed the performance of this t.v.
post #379 of 1360 Old 09-13-2010, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiketoo View Post

Well I have it coupled with the Dish 722k so it looks like I'm SOL for grey bars selection - cant find anything for the 722 either.

Oh and one more thing - set the slides to run while out of town the past few days. Get back to find out there was power outage so have no idea how many hours they have been running!

Edit: Just checked the hours and it read 71 so lost about 24 hours or so - assuming it was at 0 out of the box.

Word to the wise I would strongly discourage running slides if you will be away from your house for a few days. I generally only ran them when I was around to check periodically that the slide hadn`t `stuck`. Seems excessive but better safe than sorry because if a slide does freeze, you could prematurely age one of the 3 phosphors in each pixel - and that my friend would be very bad.
post #380 of 1360 Old 09-13-2010, 09:05 PM

Quote:

I would not consider the lack of ability (re: 20pt IRE settings) a "deal breaker" by any stretch. I have managed to use the 2pt IRE settings from Flatpanels Hd and make a few minor adjustments to contrast and brightness to acheive a nearly perfect picture. Maybe the grayscale tracking isn't perfectly uniform to 6500K, and perhaps the gamma isn't 'dead-on', but this t.v is so spot on from the get-go that if you prefer not to tinker at all you can use one of the THX modes and get a fantastic picture. For everything it does do well (which is everything literally - excellent color, fantastic shadow detail, very good black level, 24fps playback, low inout lag for gaming) - there is no better deal on the market I feel from a price-to-performance ratio.
Do yourself a favor and pick it up - as everyone else can attest too on this thread, this t.v is a giant-killer.

Thanks Chris. I'll see if the store can defer delivery of the TV but I did place the order to avail of the discounted price.
post #381 of 1360 Old 09-14-2010, 12:55 PM

Totally agree Chris. I made sure to only run slides when I was around to make sure nothing froze. Thanks for the info on the Orbital. I'm definitely turning it on when playing Halo and other games.
post #382 of 1360 Old 09-14-2010, 01:15 PM

Quote:

Thanks Chris. I'll see if the store can defer delivery of the TV but I did place the order to avail of the discounted price.

Did you buy from gibby's?
post #383 of 1360 Old 09-14-2010, 01:32 PM

going to my shop tomorrow to watch and see the pk950 in action
hopefully i will be able to take a decision...
keep the pana G20 with floating blacks or go for this one...
post #384 of 1360 Old 09-14-2010, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonny21 View Post

Did you buy from gibby's?

Yes, I did.
post #385 of 1360 Old 09-14-2010, 06:20 PM

Quote:

Yes, I did.

Could you please update us/me on your whole experience with them? I am thinking of buying from them but after they didn't answer one of my emails I was iffy, so it would be nice to hear how your whole process goes.

Thanks.
post #386 of 1360 Old 09-15-2010, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonny21 View Post

Could you please update us/me on your whole experience with them? I am thinking of buying from them but after they didn't answer one of my emails I was iffy, so it would be nice to hear how your whole process goes.

Thanks.

Sonny, Duane Gibson (likely the owner judging from the name), contacted me by email because I had put a comment when ordering online to defer the shipment until after my move in date. He asked for the phone number associated with my credit card issuer as well.

I gave him more details and when I asked in my email whether Gibby's would actually credit my the difference if in case it advertises the TV lower than $1,169, I never got a response back.

I'm not taking possession until early November but I can share my experiences then.
post #387 of 1360 Old 09-15-2010, 10:32 AM

loving my new 50pk950. so far i feel i made a good decision.. picture quality is great, with very little tinkering. still want to tinker with my gaming settings, due to the dark areas in certain games being hard to make out (people hiding in dark corners in mw2 or dark rooms/areas in halo for example). other then that, hd cable looks great. now i need to invest in a bluray player. i've been trying to decide if there are any real advantages with going with an lg bluray player over a different manufacture (i can get a great deal on a sony bd370.. less then $100). im guessing remote compatibility would be one advantage, and automatic hdmi input switching (maybe?) but can't really think of anything else. what do you guys think?
post #388 of 1360 Old 09-15-2010, 01:05 PM

Quote:

Sonny, Duane Gibson (likely the owner judging from the name), contacted me by email because I had put a comment when ordering online to defer the shipment until after my move in date. He asked for the phone number associated with my credit card issuer as well.

I gave him more details and when I asked in my email whether Gibby's would actually credit my the difference if in case it advertises the TV lower than $1,169, I never got a response back.

I'm not taking possession until early November but I can share my experiences then.

Thanks, yeah if you update us on how every thing went when you get it in nov. Congrats on the tv!
post #389 of 1360 Old 09-15-2010, 01:54 PM

Quote:

Word to the wise I would strongly discourage running slides if you will be away from your house for a few days. I generally only ran them when I was around to check periodically that the slide hadn`t `stuck`. Seems excessive but better safe than sorry because if a slide does freeze, you could prematurely age one of the 3 phosphors in each pixel - and that my friend would be very bad.

No problems here. Been running now overnight and during the day and the transitions just keep on running.
post #390 of 1360 Old 09-15-2010, 03:41 PM

Hi, so far so good with my 50pk950.

I connected my dell laptop running windows XP with displayport to the HDMI connection on the 50pk950 via a converter and it works okay. I notice, however, that there is a lot of fuzziness around the icons on the desktop. Whenever I connect the same laptop to a Vizio LCD television, I never get this effect. Is this an issue with the conversion? I haven't tried using a VGA cable yet, but is that better? I assumed that since displayport and HDMI were both digital, that the connection would be better.

Please advise.

Thanks!!!
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Lg Infinia 60pk950 60 Inch 1080p Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page