The Official LG xxPK950 Owner's Discussion Thread - Page 16 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #451 of 1360 Old 10-02-2010, 10:33 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
There is also a PK790 on the AVForums Hardware page that is never getting reviewed. This excellent product is getting no respect, so I will post my review.

=========================================================

I purchased the LG 50PK950 after researching plasmas for far too long.... :-)

In short, the image after tweaking the easy-to-use user controls in Expert Mode is simply wonderful. It has a very rich and natural appearance which is easy on my eyes. Blacks are nice and dark. I really like what this TV doesn't have: no edge sharpening issue, no bad pixels, no buzzing, no floating blacks (turn off dynamic contrast!), no reported rising blacks, no problems with image motion, no reported problems with 24p (I have not tested this), no image retention that I can see (don't watch it in vivid mode!!) , no flickering from fast 3D phosphors, and no gimmicky 3D.

The built-in audio is perfectly good for most TV shows. Quite good, in fact, with clear dialogue. This was a pleasant surprise for us. If you want to go the surround sound route then the TV speakers can be used as excellent (and perfectly positioned) center speakers. The TV itself is quite handsome when on or off, far better looking than most other TVs. This is important if you are married, and not important if you are single.

One small negative is that there is a moderate degree of screen reflections, similar to many other TVs on the market but not as bad as the PK550 series. It is noticeably less reflective than my CRT TV. Prudent light control during the day will take care of this, and this has not been an issue at all at night. It is NOT necessary the blacken out the room, just don't have a window behind the viewer. One positive note is that the PK950 does not have blocky shiny bezels that pick up reflections from all around the room like one sees on other makes like the VT25.

Another negative is that there is no analog audio output and no headphone jack. Unfortunately, these audio shortcomings are common with several HDTV brands, and Sony is only the brand that I know that offers variable analog audio output. Taking the audio off of the cable box analog audio outputs works, except that this causes lip sync problems. So, add the cost of a new receiver if you don't already have one with optical input and/or an audio time delay adjustment. I just want to have headphones, so I will have to buy a new receiver just for that.

The price for the 50PK950 at the brick and mortar stores that offer unconditional 30-day returns is under US$1500 (not an exact price quote), so paying for a new receiver is not a big problem. In fact, the store prices for the 50PK950 were just as good as most internet retailers who do not allow returns.

I like the fact that the wireless internet adapter was included as well as an alternative Wii style remote and some PC software.

Final note: 50 inches is plenty big for most people. It looks small in the store, but it looks bigger at home. The first thing my wife and and I did was to push the couch farther away from the TV!

Also, don't worry about the 20-point gray scale calibration. This image looks fantastic with just the normal controls.

DelJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad B View Post

I hate to say this, but I was unable to get a PK950 to review after all. I did an LX6500 LED LCD instead. I know it's disappointing, but the LX6500 is a pretty interesting set. It's review should be up in a few days.
I also am going to be writing a follow up on the VT25 and adding it and the LX6500 to my rankings page.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 1360 Old 10-02-2010, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KLN-AM View Post

New Firmware for PK950 was released in EU

The newest Version is 4.14 - has somebody a newer Firmware?

Can someone upload it to an OCH?

Whats up with the 3D upgrade. The Specs are already the same form PX9XX to PK9XX

Anybody knows any differences?

Thanks!

I am in Canada and my current firmware version is 5.00.00.
post #453 of 1360 Old 10-03-2010, 06:11 AM

I am a proud 50pk950 owner.
I've had the tv for a couple of months now and need help resolving a few issues.

I am noticing "motion blur" during sports and other fast moving programs.
I was under the impression that this never happened on plasmas. I have used the settings found on this forum to set up the tv; and the tv has over 200hrs.
Any ideas?

Also, while streaming movies wirelessly from my computer, I can't access the video settings. I can only control the picture setting, i.e vivid, sports, ...
How can I access the other settings?

Another issue while streaming video, is unknown audio. This mainly happens on MKV's with aac. I have tried using Tversity and with transcoding on it is hit and miss. I get sound on some movies and nothing on others.

Finally, is it possible for the tv to "see" shared folders on my computer instead of using a media server? If not, what is the best media server to use?
I have tried Media home, Tversity and Twonky.
post #454 of 1360 Old 10-03-2010, 06:29 AM

Anyone know how to get this set into the service menu?
post #455 of 1360 Old 10-03-2010, 09:35 AM

HDTVs in general are only sharp when most of the scene is stationary. This is price we pay for digital processing.

The LG user manual specifically states that one should watch streaming movies with a wired network connection rather than with the wireless adapter.

DelJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by hornjo View Post

I've had the tv for a couple of months now and need help resolving a few issues.

I was under the impression that this never happened on plasmas. I have used the settings found on this forum to set up the tv; and the tv has over 200hrs.
Any ideas?

Also, while streaming movies wirelessly from my computer, I can't access the video settings. I can only control the picture setting, i.e vivid, sports, ...

Another issue while streaming video, is unknown audio. This mainly happens on MKV's with aac. I have tried using Tversity and with transcoding on it is hit and miss. I get sound on some movies and nothing on others.

Finally, is it possible for the tv to "see" shared folders on my computer instead of using a media server? If not, what is the best media server to use?

post #456 of 1360 Old 10-03-2010, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hornjo View Post

Any ideas?

I highly recommend investing in a Popcorn Hour.
post #457 of 1360 Old 10-03-2010, 03:51 PM

I have used PS3 Media Server and TVersity in the past. I have found both have there + and -. I like PS3 Media server more because it seems to crash less and uses less resources. I am also looking at something like a DLNA NAS like QNAP TS-410 or something similar.
post #458 of 1360 Old 10-03-2010, 04:01 PM

Forgot to say, keep your folder sizes below 30GB. LG customer service says the set doesn't like folders larger than that and you'll get time outs.
As for the issue with not having audio or video sometimes, check the container/wrapper of the file you are trying to play. The set will only play certain types of files and sometimes the audio is something the set doesn't like.
post #459 of 1360 Old 10-03-2010, 05:07 PM

Hey all. I'm thinking of picking up a 60PK950 to replace my old 42" Philips LCD, which is wall mounted. Excuse my ignorance, but can I use the existing wall mount (which I no longer have the manual/specs) for the 60" LG? If not, would this mount from monoprice work out?

Thanks!

Xbox Live GT: LatinoHeat161
post #460 of 1360 Old 10-03-2010, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzman161 View Post

Hey all. I'm thinking of picking up a 60PK950 to replace my old 42" Philips LCD, which is wall mounted. Excuse my ignorance, but can I use the existing wall mount (which I no longer have the manual/specs) for the 60" LG? If not, would this mount from monoprice work out?

Thanks!

Don't see why it wouldn't, but are you certain it can handle the weight of the 950? I use this: http://www.sanus.com/us/en/products/...ile-mount/LL22 and it looks a lot like the one you linked too. If you do get that one, make sure you get the port savers cause there isn't a whole lot of room back there after hanging the set on the wall.
post #461 of 1360 Old 10-03-2010, 11:16 PM

last night i watched "the road"
i could clearly see 2 soft white bars from the subtitles in dark scenes
does this image retention really get better a lot or not? (got around 100 hours now)
post #462 of 1360 Old 10-03-2010, 11:25 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by skank View Post

last night i watched "the road"
i could clearly see 2 soft white bars from the subtitles in dark scenes
does this image retention really get better a lot or not? (got around 100 hours now)

are you reffering to actual image retention or line bleed?? from your description it sounds like line bleed not ir but im not sure based on your description
post #463 of 1360 Old 10-03-2010, 11:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thezman View Post

are you reffering to actual image retention or line bleed?? from your description it sounds like line bleed not ir but im not sure based on your description

no not line bleed,
it really is image retention !
post #464 of 1360 Old 10-04-2010, 12:08 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
wow if you have 100 hours i dont think it gets to much better after that at least from everything i have read on here
post #465 of 1360 Old 10-04-2010, 01:54 AM

Are you using THX setting? If you are using "standard" then the white is very bright and strong, something that is not good for your "break-in" period.

You can try having Orbiter on too.

I am at 300+ hours, and have no IR for subtitles at all.
post #466 of 1360 Old 10-04-2010, 02:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeta_msz_006 View Post

I am in Canada and my current firmware version is 5.00.00.

Can u Uplaod it anywhere. In EU you only get new firmwarss (above 4.11) if u ask the Support.

You know the difference between the EU and US Model ? The Firmware seems to be different, you never had an 4.14 Firmware afaik.

other issue:

Is this Problem of the bright black screen also with the US PK950?

http://www.hifi-forum.de/bild/iso-40...k950_7789.html

it was shot with ISO 400 dark room.
Thge cinemascope bars are not really black but more grey. Anyone else with this problem?

Thanks for help
post #467 of 1360 Old 10-04-2010, 03:48 AM

Im interested in this plasma but the above normal input lag is putting me off.

Any chance that would be fixed with a firmware update?
post #468 of 1360 Old 10-04-2010, 05:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by filthgrinder View Post

Are you using THX setting? If you are using "standard" then the white is very bright and strong, something that is not good for your "break-in" period.

You can try having Orbiter on too.

I am at 300+ hours, and have no IR for subtitles at all.

yes im using thx setting (both modes)
orbitor is on too

i only see it when the scene is dark...
post #469 of 1360 Old 10-04-2010, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by filthgrinder View Post

No stores where you live offer a 30 day money back guarantee? You could just buy one, and return it.

And is he doing this just to make all of the PK950 owners happy?? lol
It does suck admittedly - and no offense Chad if you read this - but the enjoyment of my t.v would not have increased OR suffered depending on the outcome of your review had you actually the occasion to review it. I have seen countless PDP's from all the major players, some calibrated...some not...some touted as the best on the planet...and others ear-marked as poor performers.
In the end I think it suffice to say the PK950 is a superb set all things considered, and nothing I read will change that as my personal experience has been nothing short of exceptional. I realize this may seem like 'fan boy' behavior, but my opinion is based strictly on real-world performance. The one thing I would have liked to see is Chad's calibration settings. I have mine done up pretty nicely and I think the colors are accurate etc.- but I often wonder if the proper equipment was used if I could squeeze a little more out of it without getting the some of the undesired effects as a result from 'over-tweaking'. Sometimes I wish I was just an 'average' consumer when it came to all things AV so I wasn't SO invested in constantly trying to optomize every piece of electronic equipment I have. I digress...it is disapointing that no review is forthcoming - but hey, its not like anyone needed to hear from Chad that this set out-performs the VT25 right???
post #470 of 1360 Old 10-04-2010, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RabidWolve View Post

Im interested in this plasma but the above normal input lag is putting me off.

Any chance that would be fixed with a firmware update?

Where is there any information about the input lag on the PK950? I have seen reviews for this on the PK550 and PK750, but none for the PK950. The professional reviews I have read in fact site the very opposite - that is, the PK950 has very low input lag.
To answer your question however - no - input lag is not addressable vis-a-vis firmware update. To that end - its not an issue on this T.V as far as I can tell. I have been using my Xbox 360 for a few months now with no noticable lag. In fact, with most sets nowadays anything under 60ms is 'acceptable', and barely perceptable unless you are a gaming wizard and have fingers faster than most human beings. Sure, some Street Fighter players have posted nonsense in other threads about how 4 frames/sec. will adversely impact their ability to game 'effectively'...but, that is an opinion that is HIGHLY subjective and not applicable for 98% of us! Your biggest concern with lag would be that of internet-based lag, which is entirely more noticeable and will negatively impact gaming enjoyment to a much greater degree IMHO.
post #471 of 1360 Old 10-04-2010, 09:54 AM

Quote:

no not line bleed,
it really is image retention !

If it is only IR that what is the issue? It will dispappear in time - and despite the fact you have more than 100hrs on the set your t.v will still get IR from time-to-time during the first 250hrs of operation - this is normal.
I still run my Webpalooza slides from every so often, just to keep the aging process uniform, and I will continue to do this up until around 500hrs or so.
I wouldn't sweat it, just try not to watch "The Road" back-to-back to many time over!
post #472 of 1360 Old 10-04-2010, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randoza View Post

No one??

Did you install the Home Essentials software that came with the T.V on your MAC?
post #473 of 1360 Old 10-04-2010, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris 0119 View Post

If it is only IR that what is the issue? It will dispappear in time - and despite the fact you have more than 100hrs on the set your t.v will still get IR from time-to-time during the first 250hrs of operation - this is normal.
I still run my Webpalooza slides from every so often, just to keep the aging process uniform, and I will continue to do this up until around 500hrs or so.
I wouldn't sweat it, just try not to watch "The Road" back-to-back to many time over!

whats the issue? lol
the issue is that i see bars in the picture that shouldnt be there
thats the issue
post #474 of 1360 Old 10-04-2010, 10:42 AM

Quote:

whats the issue? lol
the issue is that i see bars in the picture that shouldnt be there
thats the issue

Sorry man, my bad I thought you were talking about IR
White bars...I have no idea what that may be I have not noticed it (yet!?) on my set.
post #475 of 1360 Old 10-04-2010, 11:20 AM

Quote:

Sorry man, my bad I thought you were talking about IR
White bars...I have no idea what that may be I have not noticed it (yet!?) on my set.

yes i am talking about IR, for the second time lol
post #476 of 1360 Old 10-04-2010, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzman161 View Post

Thanks!

That is the mount I have. Works great.
post #477 of 1360 Old 10-04-2010, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by td2243 View Post

That is the mount I have. Works great.

Have any of you experienced many issues with the rear-facing connections when it comes to these low profile mounts? Has it not been an issue or are you using angle savers for the cables? Any do / don'ts worth noting?

Mosdmc
post #478 of 1360 Old 10-04-2010, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mosdmc View Post

Have any of you experienced many issues with the rear-facing connections when it comes to these low profile mounts? Has it not been an issue or are you using angle savers for the cables? Any do / don'ts worth noting?

Mosdmc

Man I wish I would have gotten port savers when I hung the set. I had one for the RCA, but not for the hdmi or the digital optical, and when I look behind the set I can see the cables bending at a funny angle which causes me heartburn. Want a pic so you can better understand it? As a matter of fact, I have port savers on order right now because the way I have my entertainment center setup, it's a PITA to have to replace a cable cause my stupid a$$ kinked it.
post #479 of 1360 Old 10-04-2010, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by exhumis View Post

Man I wish I would have gotten port savers when I hung the set. I had one for the RCA, but not for the hdmi or the digital optical, and when I look behind the set I can see the cables bending at a funny angle which causes me heartburn. Want a pic so you can better understand it? As a matter of fact, I have port savers on order right now because the way I have my entertainment center setup, it's a PITA to have to replace a cable cause my stupid a$$ kinked it.

I am really interested in this set in the 60" px model (same port config) and, of course, want to get as low profile with tilting as i can. I just can't believe they rear faced the connectors instead of downshots. A pic would be great just seeing what i can get away with without cutting into the drywall.
post #480 of 1360 Old 10-04-2010, 04:38 PM

Quote:

And is he doing this just to make all of the PK950 owners happy?? lol
It does suck admittedly - and no offense Chad if you read this - but the enjoyment of my t.v would not have increased OR suffered depending on the outcome of your review had you actually the occasion to review it. I have seen countless PDP's from all the major players, some calibrated...some not...some touted as the best on the planet...and others ear-marked as poor performers.
In the end I think it suffice to say the PK950 is a superb set all things considered, and nothing I read will change that as my personal experience has been nothing short of exceptional. I realize this may seem like 'fan boy' behavior, but my opinion is based strictly on real-world performance. The one thing I would have liked to see is Chad's calibration settings. I have mine done up pretty nicely and I think the colors are accurate etc.- but I often wonder if the proper equipment was used if I could squeeze a little more out of it without getting the some of the undesired effects as a result from 'over-tweaking'. Sometimes I wish I was just an 'average' consumer when it came to all things AV so I wasn't SO invested in constantly trying to optomize every piece of electronic equipment I have. I digress...it is disapointing that no review is forthcoming - but hey, its not like anyone needed to hear from Chad that this set out-performs the VT25 right???

Amen brother!! I am totally satisfied with this set-it's one of the better purchases I have made in my life. I have had it now for almost three months, and it blows me away EVERY SINGLE TIME I watch anything on it. I haven't experienced any of the problems people post about, or maybe I have, but haven't noticed it because I don't expect perfection. I feel like a person could find fault in anything if they felt so inclined. (except for maybe the Kuro's-I hear those are flawless. )
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Lg Infinia 60pk950 60 Inch 1080p Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread - 60pk950 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page