I've seen lg ones on eBay for round $39
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1322 of 1360 Old 06-19-2011, 05:06 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Sorry if this has been asked and answered.
Has there been any word on LG updating the net cast features of this tv. MLB.com and YouTube are nice. But I thought the whole point was for this to show new apps as they became available? Hulu, Netflix, etc. Is it a Canada thing? Do ihave to do something manually?
post #1323 of 1360 Old 06-22-2011, 05:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitlamoureux View Post

Has there been any word on LG updating the net cast features of this tv. MLB.com and YouTube are nice. But I thought the whole point was for this to show new apps as they became available? Hulu, Netflix, etc. Is it a Canada thing? Do ihave to do something manually?

Here in states, we have netflix and vudu and a couple others in addition to the two you mentioned.
post #1324 of 1360 Old 06-25-2011, 10:04 AM

Hi!

Does anybody have some good PS3 calibration settings for gaming? I have played around alot with the settings but I just can find the right one...

I would like to see what you others have come up with.

Thanks!
post #1325 of 1360 Old 07-10-2011, 08:01 AM

Liked: 12
I would like to ask a favor, play both video tests and look how much of Dynamic Resolution it has.

Link: Test 1.mp4

Link: Test 2.mp4

Please tell me what resolution the TV begins to mess the lines.

Thank you,
Peter.
post #1326 of 1360 Old 07-13-2011, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitlamoureux View Post

I too have the same question about Netcast. From doing a bit of research, it seems that LG has abandoned the Netcast brand in favor of what they now call "Smart TV". I was hoping there would be a possible update to this for my 60PK950, but I must be dreaming to even think LG would put that much effort into compatibility with "old" (less than a year) TV's. At the time, Netcast seemed like a great idea with future updates and all. Too bad it fizzled...

Looks like I may have to go with an external streaming box (Apple TV, Boxee Box, Roku, etc.) Any other thoughts on this?

Otherwise, loving my set and still very happy with the purchase.
post #1327 of 1360 Old 07-15-2011, 03:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlopes View Post

I too have the same question about Netcast. From doing a bit of research, it seems that LG has abandoned the Netcast brand in favor of what they now call "Smart TV". I was hoping there would be a possible update to this for my 60PK950, but I must be dreaming to even think LG would put that much effort into compatibility with "old" (less than a year) TV's. At the time, Netcast seemed like a great idea with future updates and all. Too bad it fizzled...

Looks like I may have to go with an external streaming box (Apple TV, Boxee Box, Roku, etc.) Any other thoughts on this?

I have an Apple TV connected to my 60PK950. Netflix streaming quality is noticeably better using the TV's Netflix widget than the Apple TV. I don't know if it's because the max resolution of the Apple TV is 720P, since I don't think the Netflix stream is higher res than that, but using the TV results in a much sharper and brighter picture. Neither supports CC, which is a bummer.
post #1328 of 1360 Old 08-03-2011, 07:16 AM

I just got prompted to download 6.2.4. Now to do some digging to see what it does.
post #1329 of 1360 Old 08-04-2011, 05:46 AM

I've had version 06.02.04 on my TV for over 3-4 months now, it is not new...
Located in Canada (Canadian TV)
post #1330 of 1360 Old 08-09-2011, 04:35 AM

Liked: 11
Has anyone noticed a loss in black level on their PK950? I have my set properly calibrated so I know it's not an issue with the brightness setting. In a dark room at night - with no source being put through the t.v you can see the display's darkest black, that is - all of the pixels are at their absolute lowest output (MLL). My t.v's image during this scenario is more like a really dark grey as opposed to a 'true black'. It is also apparent when I watch a Blu Ray that is 2:35:1...the black bars are not 'black'.
I have also noticed that in very dark scenes, it is almost as though I am looking through a haze, or the picture is smokey because the pixels cannot get dark enough to properly render the material.
post #1331 of 1360 Old 08-16-2011, 04:02 PM
bbf

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlopes View Post

I sent an email to LG's US Tech support about potential updates to netcast services, this is their reply:

Quote:
Originally Posted by LG Customer Support
The 50PK950 is a 2010 unit that offers Netcast feature. At this time LG does not have any plans to add any new Netcast Features, but will continue to support the Netcast features with software upgrades. In order to add any new features you would need the ST600 Smart TV upgrader. This can connect to any TV that has an HDMI connection. The spec sheet for the ST600 is file attached. With the ST600 you would have Hulu and Amazon VOD and the ST600 has a web browser.

I do apologize for your inconvenience and hope this information is helpful.
Yeah, so your instincts are correct, LG is abandoning netcast after 1 year and their "solution" is to have you buy their SmartTV box that doesn't directly integrate into the TV and doesn't work with the "magic wand" remote.

Granted, the ST600 is actually half decent, and this week is on sale at Fry's locally (not online) for $50. I've picked one up and it streams videos and audio fine (DLNA compliant) has Hulu Plus, Amazon Prime, Netflix, Pandora, napster and surprisingly un-sucky web browsing. The simplified remote it comes with actually has a pretty cool directional "touch circle" that allows for usable pointer control in the web browser. It also includes builtin ABGN 2.4 and 5GHz wifi (5GHz bands are really rare, and since I have a 5GHz N network set up it's great, most people don't so it's not an advantage.) For its $130 MSRP, there are better alternatives out there.

It's still a pain that LG has dropped support for netcast so quickly.
post #1332 of 1360 Old 08-31-2011, 08:06 PM
NAM

Just got prompted to down load software update 06.03.00. anyone else dl this? Any idea what it does/corrects? Thnks
post #1333 of 1360 Old 09-01-2011, 01:02 AM

I also was prompted and downloaded 6.03. I didn't notice anything new.
post #1334 of 1360 Old 09-01-2011, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcorwin View Post

I also was prompted and downloaded 6.03. I didn't notice anything new.

Me too... couldn't find any info on a quick Google either.
post #1335 of 1360 Old 09-02-2011, 07:04 AM

Why does LG never post a change log of their firmware updates...very frustrating. Wonder what the heck it could be - afterall, this t.v is now 18 months old...I would like to think it was something to improve the performance of the t.v such as the edge enhancement issue, or mll adjustment (black level on this t.v is underwhelming at best...).
post #1336 of 1360 Old 09-02-2011, 10:44 AM
NAM

Well, neither the email nor the over the phone support seem to know anything about this. The latter seemed appalled that I had the temerity to even ask what the software update was about. Anyway, I have'nt noticed anything new in terms of features (netflix would have been nice for we Canadians who always seem to pay more and get less) and--to my undiscerning eye--no improvement in picture quality either.
post #1337 of 1360 Old 09-03-2011, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NAM View Post

Well, neither the email nor the over the phone support seem to know anything about this. The latter seemed appalled that I had the temerity to even ask what the software update was about. Anyway, I have'nt noticed anything new in terms of features (netflix would have been nice for we Canadians who always seem to pay more and get less) and--to my undiscerning eye--no improvement in picture quality either.

Shame on you...asking about a firmware update. You act as though you are a consumer and have a right to know information about a product you purchased...terrible!! lol
post #1338 of 1360 Old 09-05-2011, 07:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 24
I'm receiving reminder notices that new firmware is available. I have tried updating several times over the past 3 days and the firmware download is really slow never completes. I know it's not my Internet connection because my laptop, desktop, and phone, all of which are connected wirelessly, are quick as usual. Very frustrating
post #1339 of 1360 Old 09-05-2011, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by audit13 View Post

I'm receiving reminder notices that new firmware is available. I have tried updating several times over the past 3 days and the firmware download is really slow never completes. I know it's not my Internet connection because my laptop, desktop, and phone, all of which are connected wirelessly, are quick as usual. Very frustrating

IMHO Firmware updates should always be carried out through a wired connection. I have a wired network, and the update took no more than 5 mins...no issues.
post #1340 of 1360 Old 09-05-2011, 08:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris0119 View Post

IMHO Firmware updates should always be carried out through a wired connection. I have a wired network, and the update took no more than 5 mins...no issues.

Wired or wireless, it never completes the download. Where are you located? I'm in Toronto, Canada.

I'm going to forget about the update since I'm not experiencing any problems.
post #1341 of 1360 Old 09-06-2011, 06:56 PM

Quote:

Wired or wireless, it never completes the download. Where are you located? I'm in Toronto, Canada.

I'm going to forget about the update since I'm not experiencing any problems.

I am located in Montreal...very odd that it is not working for you. I was thinking/hoping it might be a fix for the un-defeatable edge enhancement issue.
I sent LG a query regarding the update, and they came back saying no info is available at this time. I sent them back an e-mail asking them to investigate the matter further and let me know because their answer is unacceptable...we'll see what they say.
I find their lack of help regarding firmware updates is inexcusable...the buying public should absolutely be made aware of changes to products they purchased, especially if it affects the performance of said product and/or alters it from its original state at the time of purchase.
post #1342 of 1360 Old 09-06-2011, 07:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris0119 View Post

I am located in Montreal...very odd that it is not working for you. I was thinking/hoping it might be a fix for the un-defeatable edge enhancement issue.
I sent LG a query regarding the update, and they came back saying no info is available at this time. I sent them back an e-mail asking them to investigate the matter further and let me know because their answer is unacceptable...we'll see what they say.
I find their lack of help regarding firmware updates is inexcusable...the buying public should absolutely be made aware of changes to products they purchased, especially if it affects the performance of said product and/or alters it from its original state at the time of purchase.

I guess this is a problem that affects the pk950 series of televisions. I love the picture on mine and I'm either not too picky or I don't know what to look for.
post #1343 of 1360 Old 09-07-2011, 05:52 AM

Edge Enhancement issue: is it not possible to simply change the input label as "PC" for each of your connected components to turn off this annoying feature?

I know it's only a work around, or patch solution, but I believe it fixes the problem for now, until a firmware update is released (which might be never since this TV is getting older, and soon to be placed in the Archived Products category)
post #1344 of 1360 Old 09-07-2011, 07:25 AM
Voz

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudyv1 View Post

Edge Enhancement issue: is it not possible to simply change the input label as "PC" for each of your connected components to turn off this annoying feature?

Thing is, you need to A: rename it to "PC" and B: feed it a 60Hz signal. I mainly watch 24p blu-rays (72Hz on the LG, judder free) and 50Hz DVD/HDTV (Europe). So it's not really a good workaround, for me. In addition to this, in PC mode other features are disabled as well. Such as color space control.

I recently bought the Nordic version, PK950N, and I really thought the edge enhancement bug would have been fixed by now! It's clearly not. I'm using the latest firmware. Ringing all over the place, even with "Edge enhancement" disabled in the menu and sharpness controls on 0.

It's so unfortunate that this fine TV suffers from this issue. Come on LG, you can fix this, although it's not the latest model. Just add an additional edge enhancement mode, "off", "medium" (the current "off") and "high". Please.
post #1345 of 1360 Old 09-07-2011, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voz View Post

Thing is, you need to A: rename it to "PC" and B: feed it a 60Hz signal. I mainly watch 24p blu-rays (72Hz on the LG, judder free) and 50Hz DVD/HDTV (Europe). So it's not really a good workaround, for me. In addition to this, in PC mode other features are disabled as well. Such as color space control.

I recently bought the Nordic version, PK950N, and I really thought the edge enhancement bug would have been fixed by now! It's clearly not. I'm using the latest firmware. Ringing all over the place, even with "Edge enhancement" disabled in the menu and sharpness controls on 0.

It's so unfortunate that this fine TV suffers from this issue. Come on LG, you can fix this, although it's not the latest model. Just add an additional edge enhancement mode, "off", "medium" (the current "off") and "high". Please.

Agreed on all fronts!
Although the PC label renaming helps (source and frame-rate dependent), this issue should be (in theory), one that is addressable vis-a-vis firmware update. Any picture-related settings usually are for that matter as they involve a command from the MCU to 'tweak' the incoming signal. My guess, a programming fix or workaround is not financially justifiable for LG - especially in light of the fact is it an aging product in their PDP line-up. It is a shame really...because save for its relatively disappointing MLL, the PK950 produces a pretty darn good picture all things considered.
post #1346 of 1360 Old 09-12-2011, 02:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Finally, my firmware was updated to 6.03.0. Do I see any difference, not yet.
post #1347 of 1360 Old 09-13-2011, 06:42 PM

Quote:

Finally, my firmware was updated to 6.03.0. Do I see any difference, not yet.

I still have not received feedback from LG either...oh well, the picture isn't worse, so I guess in the end it doesn't really matter right!?
post #1348 of 1360 Old 10-13-2011, 03:34 PM

Please if anyone has 5.00 or 6.00 or even the original firmware please upload and give me a link i somehow sqrewed up the firmware on my tv and cant be fixed with 6.03 or reset back.. Someone must have it dowloaded on there pc.... Please
post #1349 of 1360 Old 10-29-2011, 05:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amedeos View Post

Please if anyone has 5.00 or 6.00 or even the original firmware please upload and give me a link i somehow sqrewed up the firmware on my tv and cant be fixed with 6.03 or reset back.. Someone must have it dowloaded on there pc.... Please

I assume you've spoken with LG to try and obtain a copy on cd or dvd?

I'm not sure about other owners but all of my firmware updates were done using the tv itself and the supplied wireless adapter. A pc was not required.
post #1350 of 1360 Old 10-31-2011, 09:43 AM

So I'm guesting we won't ever be getting an Amazon Instant Video app?

P.s. Is it worth it to update the tv to the latest update?
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Lg Infinia 60pk950 60 Inch 1080p Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread - 60pk950 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page