SAMSUNG PN50C7000 Settings for Gaming? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 05-19-2010, 04:26 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have the PN50C7000 plasma and the picture settings look poor when running the XBOX360 or Verizon FiOS. I am unable to find a combination of settings that makes the whites and blacks look good together. Either the whites are too dark (gray almost) or the blacks come across gray and the whites look fuzzy.

I am struggling to find any settings that make gaming or TV viewing ideal.

Are there any ideal settings for either of these devices. The XBOX 360 (elite thru HDMI) looks particularly poor.

I don't know if my TV is defective, the model is flat out crappy, or there is an ideal setup to make gaming more enjoyable.

If someone has experience in adjusting the settings on this particular model I would love to know how is is set up (Brightness, Contrast, Color, Sharpness, Gamma, Black Level, Noise Reduction, Picture Mode, etc...)

Thank you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 05-19-2010, 06:08 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
To get rid of the above problems, you'll need to get your set, or any new set, calibrated. Professional calibration is the best, but runs near $300 to have it done. Second best option would be to purchase Digital Video Essentials or a similar calibration disc, costs $20-ish for the bluray, and calibrate the settings with their test patters. Last method is free, but not as effective way, is to pop in a Pixar film or switch your tv to the series 8000 (mentioned below) and adjust the for the few test patterns they provide.

To change your model (NOTE* THIS DOES VOID YOUR MANUFACTURERS WARRANTY*) power off the TV. Press mute, 1, 8, 2, power on the remote. The service menu pops up. Press OK on "Option". Arrow down to "Model". Press right on the directional pad and the model should now be listed as PN8000. Do not change to anything else except to the original PN7000 if needed in the future. Press return. Power off the TV to exit the service menu.

Once you power the TV back on a message will display saying "settings have been changed...blah blah" just hit OK. You'll now notice some additional available options in the TV's regular Menu. Change the picture setting to anything other that "Dynamic". Preferably "CAL-DAY" for a bright room or "CAL-NIGHT" for a dark room. Once a different picture setting has been chosen, arrow down to "Advanced Picture Options". In this area there should be an option called "Expert Patterns". This will allow you to correctly set your Contrast and Brightness when set on "Pattern 1".

"Pattern 2" is a little trickier. I'm guessing you'll need to select pattern 2 and then right below "Expert Patterns", "RGB Only" is an option. Hit OK on "RGB Only". Select the Blue Only pattern first since blue has the most imapct on other colors. Go back to your Picture Settings and adjust the Color until all of the Blues on the screen look the same. Mine is set to 46. Next, select "Red Only". Go to your Tint and adjust the tint until there are only 2 shades of red on screen, a lighter and darker. Mine is set to G44/R56. Last is green only. I don't know what you can do to adjust the green properly without messing up the accuracy of the other colors.

Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page