*The Official Samsung PNxxC8000 Owner's Discussion Thread!! - Page 10 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #271 of 5878 Old 05-28-2010, 03:28 PM
Member
 
indy1298's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 21
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So I got .mkv's to work. You must use samsungs pc share manager software. Otherwise you cant get .mkv's to work.
indy1298 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #272 of 5878 Old 05-28-2010, 03:59 PM
Advanced Member
 
Tony6225's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 619
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryantiguan View Post

Hello erocs,

We also have the PN58C8000 and also notice something like this, but it happens on blu-rays, regular HD shows, etc. I'm not sure if we are talking about the same thing (I keep calling it motion blur), but if you have the Avatar 3D could you also try the following (posted earlier - it's like the camera is out of of focus or can't keep up):

"Okay guys, I'm back at home now and was able to do a few tests with the Avatar blu-ray disc.

Can those of you with PN58C/PN63C/PN50C 8000's do the following:

1) Insert your Avatar disc.
2) Put the TV in BD-WISE or MOVIE mode.
3) Put it on Cinema Smooth Mode (motion judder canceller OFF)

Go to the following time in the disc (during the You're Not In Kansas Anymore chapter):
6:55

You'll see the commander walk down the hall and turn his head around. THAT's where I see the motion blur. I actually had my wife look at this scene and she doesn't call it blur, but rather judder/jumpiness. Can you guys please confirm that you see the same thing?

NEXT:

Please view the same scene with Cinema Smooth mode OFF and Motion Judder Canceller set to STANDARD. During this mode, my wife and I agreed that the same judder/blur wasn't there / nearly as bad!

Can you guys please try this? Is this normal?!"

Thanks!

Ryan

I wouldnt worry about that scene anymore if I were you. Its not your tv. As I said in the other thread, films are rendered at 24fps here in America for various reasons. The drawback is fast motion. If motion on the screen moves fast enough to create large differences between frames, 24fps simply isn't fast enough to catch every moving detail. When you turn on motion judder canceler, all your TV is doing is creating simulated frames and inserting them in between the original frames coming from the source. It makes 24fps look more like 60fps but with added artifacts and a loss of cinematic perception which is why I would recommend leaving it off for most content. Just about every new plasma will give you between 900-1080 lines of motion resolution including your Samsung. So it certainly isnt blur youre seeing.
Tony6225 is offline  
post #273 of 5878 Old 05-28-2010, 04:48 PM
Newbie
 
Atrapos's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey, I work in an AVS department and we recently got in a PN50C8000 as a display model. We've noticed while not watching 3D the picture is very badly pixelated. The pixels are red and green it seems and aren't really noticeable if you stand back a few feet usually but they are pretty bad none the less. They make this TV look much worse than any other plasmas on the market. I have a feeling this is a defective usnit as I haven't seen anyone else talking about the issue. We tried a firmware update with no success. Anyone else have this problem?
Atrapos is offline  
post #274 of 5878 Old 05-28-2010, 05:28 PM
Member
 
Rino13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: New Jersey, USA
Posts: 158
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atrapos View Post

Hey, I work in an AVS department and we recently got in a PN50C8000 as a display model. We've noticed while not watching 3D the picture is very badly pixelated. The pixels are red and green it seems and aren't really noticeable if you stand back a few feet usually but they are pretty bad none the less. They make this TV look much worse than any other plasmas on the market. I have a feeling this is a defective usnit as I haven't seen anyone else talking about the issue. We tried a firmware update with no success. Anyone else have this problem?

Sounds like its defective to me. Dont see anything like that on my set.
Rino13 is offline  
post #275 of 5878 Old 05-28-2010, 05:32 PM
Member
 
Rino13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: New Jersey, USA
Posts: 158
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by terminaldawn View Post

I have a 63 inch and sit 9 ft back. Its great and wouldnt mind a bit bigger I see no grain on HD material. I dont watch anything in SD anymore so dont care. THX actually reccomends sitting 7 ft away from a 63 inch.

Check this link out.

http://myhometheater.homestead.com/v...alculator.html

i also have the 63 inch and sit about 9 feet away. I wish it was a little bigger myself lol. My last tv was a 73" mitsubishi DLP, so this looks a little small to me lol
Rino13 is offline  
post #276 of 5878 Old 05-28-2010, 05:39 PM
Advanced Member
 
dandaroy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 933
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Anybody notice line bleed on the c8000s??
dandaroy is offline  
post #277 of 5878 Old 05-28-2010, 06:16 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
Sound & Vision's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 727
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atrapos View Post

Hey, I work in an AVS department and we recently got in a PN50C8000 as a display model. We've noticed while not watching 3D the picture is very badly pixelated. The pixels are red and green it seems and aren't really noticeable if you stand back a few feet usually but they are pretty bad none the less. They make this TV look much worse than any other plasmas on the market. I have a feeling this is a defective usnit as I haven't seen anyone else talking about the issue. We tried a firmware update with no success. Anyone else have this problem?

I would recomend that you Exchange the TV out.. That's not normal.
Sound & Vision is offline  
post #278 of 5878 Old 05-28-2010, 06:19 PM
Advanced Member
 
dandaroy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 933
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sound & Vision View Post

I would recomend that you Exchange the TV out.. That's not normal.

Hey Sound & Vision, since you owned a vt25 and C8000, can you comment how the two performed with respect to:

1. IR
2. Line bleed & banding.

Thanks!
dandaroy is offline  
post #279 of 5878 Old 05-28-2010, 06:20 PM
Advanced Member
 
dandaroy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 933
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Man, eagerly waiting for a professional review on the c8000. I see none. When is CNET coming out with one?
dandaroy is offline  
post #280 of 5878 Old 05-29-2010, 07:47 AM
Member
 
Monkeyhead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 31
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Is the 2D-3D-Conversion still available in Gamemode?
I think the 2D-3D-Conversion coming up with an high Inputlag?
I am wondering, because in one review they tested the2D-3D-Conversion with Gran Turismo Prologue and the tester wrote, thats everything fine?
I hope so, but i cant believe it.

PS: Sorry for my english...
Monkeyhead is offline  
post #281 of 5878 Old 05-29-2010, 10:21 AM
Senior Member
 
ryantiguan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 247
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey guys,

For those that have surround system home theater system (from Samsung, etc), do you notice that the voices don't perfectly align with the people's lips during normal HD programming? I tried changing the AV Sync/Audio delay in the Samsung home theater (HT-C6930W) menu down to 50ms, and that mostly solves the issue except if you look closely you can see that the audio isn't perfectly aligned with the motion of the lips of the people.

Is this expected? I have a PN58C8000.
ryantiguan is offline  
post #282 of 5878 Old 05-29-2010, 10:25 AM
Member
 
audionnl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 88
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
When playing MKV with the internal player i can't fast forward anymore. Anyone have a solution to this? I was able to fast foward until i formated my external hard drive. I formated it as NTFS. Now when i press the fast forward button it says "not available"
audionnl is offline  
post #283 of 5878 Old 05-29-2010, 12:47 PM
Advanced Member
 
terminaldawn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Milwaukee
Posts: 706
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by dandaroy View Post

Anybody notice line bleed on the c8000s??

I have seen Line bleed occasionally on the c8000. From what I unserstand this is inherent to all plasmas. I was worried about Line Bleed initially but its quite hard to notice if ever. I am also pretty picky when it comes to imperfections too.

No IR whatsoever.

I do have buzz though. Exchanging my set out though.
terminaldawn is offline  
post #284 of 5878 Old 05-29-2010, 01:09 PM
Member
 
indy1298's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 21
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by audionnl View Post

When playing MKV with the internal player i can't fast forward anymore. Anyone have a solution to this? I was able to fast foward until i formated my external hard drive. I formated it as NTFS. Now when i press the fast forward button it says "not available"

Supposedly, according to my understanding, it is not possible to forward mkv's. You can skip 30 sec forward my holding down the right direction button. If you conrinuously hold down the button the skipping intervals get longer but still are note that great. Lastly if you press enter it brings up kind of a chapter menu for ur mkv and you can forward that way. That is a useful feature I like.
indy1298 is offline  
post #285 of 5878 Old 05-29-2010, 01:33 PM
Member
 
1stsamdude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 177
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bordeaux9196 View Post

Guys, got my PN50 C8000 yesterday, not a scratch on it! They did a great job of taking great care while shipping it out. The box looked like came straight from Samsung, not even a little bit of dust! I was really worried about a cracked screen like some others have mentioned.

Pictures looks INSANE! I am very happy I bought this TV, colors are a bit bright but I will just need to sit down and do some tweaking. No dead pixels and the blacks look fantastic but I am no video phile so take it for what it's worth. NO BUZZING, none, notta....my wife and I both tried to listen for it. We cut the volume all the way down on the TV, the rest of the house was dead quite. I don't even hear a high pitch hum like my 46" Sceptre had. So I am happy to report my PN50 C8000 has 0 hum or buzz. I don't have a great camera but I will post some pics later when I get off work.

A big shoutout to Abes of Maine for shipping out quickly and with great care. Plus they had one of the lowest prices on the web and threw in a free 36"-60" wall mount which I will be using for my 46" Sceptre that is going upstairs in my bedroom. More to come....

Mine telling us where yours was manufactured and the date for a comparison with others that have the buzz. Very glad to hear you have no issues with the dreaded buzzing. I am expecting my 2'nd replacement PN58C8000 on the 3'rd of June so hopefully I to will be pleasantly surprised. Wish me luck everybody.

JD
1stsamdude is offline  
post #286 of 5878 Old 05-29-2010, 03:22 PM
Member
 
funkyman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 198
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stsamdude View Post

Mine telling us where yours was manufactured and the date for a comparison with others that have the buzz. Very glad to hear you have no issues with the dreaded buzzing. I am expecting my 2'nd replacement PN58C8000 on the 3'rd of June so hopefully I to will be pleasantly surprised. Wish me luck everybody.

JD

Hi my Samsung was manufactured in Mexico i believe the front Samsmung Logo at the bottom is supposed to be lit up but i can`t find the settings in the menu like the PNb860,it just isn`t there.You could leave it on when power on,or when off or completely off on the 860`s.
I don`t have a buzz becaue its wall mounted with Monoprice but i don`t think there was much of a buzz anyway.
funkyman is offline  
post #287 of 5878 Old 05-29-2010, 03:43 PM
Member
 
Domcorleone's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 35
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Can anyone take a few pics of the c8000 in the dark while watching a movie? I'm stuck btwn the 7000 and the c8000, but I know the c8000 has a charcoal grey bezel, and i am afraid it might be distracting to me, I like when the letterbox and the bezel are indiscernible. Much thanks in advance if anyone could do this! It would help me make a decision!
Domcorleone is offline  
post #288 of 5878 Old 05-29-2010, 04:00 PM
Member
 
funkyman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 198
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Domcorleone View Post

Can anyone take a few pics of the c8000 in the dark while watching a movie? I'm stuck btwn the 7000 and the c8000, but I know the c8000 has a charcoal grey bezel, and i am afraid it might be distracting to me, I like when the letterbox and the bezel are indiscernible. Much thanks in advance if anyone could do this! It would help me make a decision!

Here are some not very good amateur photos taken in a pretty low light enviroment however the camera is not a good one with insufficiant ISO settings.
LL
LL
LL
LL
LL
funkyman is offline  
post #289 of 5878 Old 05-29-2010, 04:14 PM
Advanced Member
 
Dayton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 790
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
How is the gaming?, especially when it comes to lag. I'm anxious to lose the non-uniformity of my A650's backlight but the combination of 360 and PC-Mode makes for some great gaming.
Dayton is offline  
post #290 of 5878 Old 05-29-2010, 04:36 PM
Newbie
 
Kronosx2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 14
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I put in my order for the 63C8000 and Samsung BD-6900 3D Blu Ray player.
I am now looking at the Onkyo 608 3D reciever to hook it all together. However, I heard that the first gen 2010 model 1.4 HDMI 3D recievers only play back 3D signals when connected to them at a max of 1080i and not 1080p?
Could someone with a similar setup confirm whether signals passed thru a 3D capable receiver get 1080i or 1080p signals on a 3D Blu Ray disc as I am now confused on which 3D reciever to pair up the Sammy's with. Thanks.
Kronosx2 is offline  
post #291 of 5878 Old 05-29-2010, 04:54 PM
Member
 
frank3030's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 98
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryantiguan View Post

Hey guys,

For those that have surround system home theater system (from Samsung, etc), do you notice that the voices don't perfectly align with the people's lips during normal HD programming? I tried changing the AV Sync/Audio delay in the Samsung home theater (HT-C6930W) menu down to 50ms, and that mostly solves the issue except if you look closely you can see that the audio isn't perfectly aligned with the motion of the lips of the people.

Is this expected? I have a PN58C8000.

I have a yamaha receiver and a dish feed and I'm having some seriuos problems with audio sync also. The video is well behind the audio. But not allways. I wonder if the TV is doing some heavy processing at time and other time its not. Anyone else notice this?
frank3030 is offline  
post #292 of 5878 Old 05-29-2010, 04:56 PM
Member
 
frank3030's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 98
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Domcorleone View Post

Can anyone take a few pics of the c8000 in the dark while watching a movie? I'm stuck btwn the 7000 and the c8000, but I know the c8000 has a charcoal grey bezel, and i am afraid it might be distracting to me, I like when the letterbox and the bezel are indiscernible. Much thanks in advance if anyone could do this! It would help me make a decision!

When the room is even a little dark the bezel goes black. Don't worry about it.
frank3030 is offline  
post #293 of 5878 Old 05-29-2010, 07:09 PM
Newbie
 
LeLapinVengeur's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by funkyman View Post

Here are some not very good amateur photos taken in a pretty low light enviroment however the camera is not a good one with insufficiant ISO settings.

Very nice setup! Bravo! Is it the 63"?
LeLapinVengeur is offline  
post #294 of 5878 Old 05-29-2010, 07:40 PM
Member
 
Rino13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: New Jersey, USA
Posts: 158
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by frank3030 View Post

I seem to be having a problem with my TV changing input source when the BD player turns off. Stranger yet, it happens when I'm not even using it

Here's the setup...

I've got the BD player and Dish box both going to the AVR using high speed HDMI. Then HDMI to the tv HDMI (ARC) input. While watching the dish box if I turn on then off the BD player the TV will switch to antenna source.

Anyone else seen this?

Your problem most likely has to do with HDMI control. Turn that off on your devices and you should be ok. Every manufaturer calls it something different...samsung i believe calls it anynet...panasonic is vierra link etc.... Just turn that off and you should be ok
Rino13 is offline  
post #295 of 5878 Old 05-29-2010, 08:36 PM
Advanced Member
 
terminaldawn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Milwaukee
Posts: 706
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by mantisboxer View Post

First, I need to give credit to christberg as they were the first to discover this issue in the last firmware revision. I was not able to duplicate it at the time, but I think I found it.

Here is a description of the issue. When I first turn on my set, black levels are nearly triple normal (0.058 ftL vs. 0.020 ftL). What I am seeing is not the "full screen IR" that has been described by others on Samsung sets. I stumbled into this because my initial readings for black level were just terrible after the set had just been turned on (in Cal-Night). I thought there was something wrong with my settings, so I changed the set to Movie mode and noticed that the screen immediately go tremendously darker. Measured MLL at the expected 0.020 ftL and switched back to Cal-Night. This time the screen stayed dark and measured MLL at 0.020 again.

Intrigued, I just tried switching between all the modes while just visually examining the screen. Every 2 or 3 cycles through all the modes, my Cal-Night 0 IRE window would get much brighter (accompanied by greenish pixel noise)!! Cycling between Movie and and Cal-Night would generally fix the problem, but not always. Sometimes I would have to turn the panel off, turn it back on, and cycle. This would always fix it. I also confirmed christberg's observation that toggling the dynamic contrast setting could also make the problem go away.

On Cal-Day (basically same as Cal-Night, with Cell Light at 17) I could not get rid of the green pixel noise unless I put Gamma from +1 back to 0. Of course this screwed the picture up, so right now, I don't have a valid Cal-Day setting!!

When this problem happens, blacks are truly gray looking. Fortunately, you can work around this, it appears, by simply switching back and forth between modes. The issue will go away until you power cycle the panel. I would appreciate it if others could try to confirm this phenomenon. You may not notice it when you turn your panel on for the first time, but the difference in blacks after switching modes is dramatic. If there are enough observations, I say we bombard Samsung with complaints.

I think the big questions is, WTF?!? I am beginning to think that the anecdotal observations of sub par black levels may be related to what I am describing here. I think this is clearly an issue with the software and would not be surprised if further improvements to black levels are on the way.

I believe the firmware on these sets is jacked up. I can actually reproduce the issue with ease by turning up the brightness (see below).


Issue:
Blacks have green and blue pixel noise. This affects black level and overall picture quality.

How I discovered the issue:
I was watching Star Trek (2009) blu-ray and noticed that the black bars looked GREY. I was like WTF! So I tried changing the settings, turning the television on and off. And no avail, the overall PQ was terrible. I got up close to the television and looked at the black bars playing on the movie. They had green and blue pixels dancing in the black. I tried to take video but it didn't turn out.

How to reproduce the issue:
Option 1:
Put in any 2.35:1 blu-ray. Set picture to Standard with default settings. Turn up brightness to 57 or higher. You will then see the issue. Also it will not show up on really bright scenes. I was watching 5th Element and some brighter scenes didn't reproduce the issue.
Option 2:
Put in a test disk with a 0 IRE pattern up. Set picture to Standard with default settings. Turn up brightness to 57 or higher.

How to fix the issue:
Lower brightness to a level that is not acceptable for an accurate picture.
MantisBoxer suggests that turning off the set and or switching through the different modes also fixes the issue but I am not able to correct the issue.


I am starting to lose faith in this television due to this issue, the fact my set buzzes and I am also experiencing some SERIOUS line bleed as well (I spoke to soon regarding this topic earlier.)

Can someone else please try to reproduce this issue? I want to find out if I am the only one?


Thanks!
terminaldawn is offline  
post #296 of 5878 Old 05-29-2010, 08:46 PM
Member
 
funkyman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 198
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeLapinVengeur View Post

Very nice setup! Bravo! Is it the 63"?

No Its the 58 i thought 63 was a little too big.
funkyman is offline  
post #297 of 5878 Old 05-30-2010, 07:26 AM
Member
 
LG811User's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 45
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by frank3030 View Post

I have a yamaha receiver and a dish feed and I'm having some seriuos problems with audio sync also. The video is well behind the audio. But not allways. I wonder if the TV is doing some heavy processing at time and other time its not. Anyone else notice this?

I've noticed the same problem. I also have Dish Network. I'm not convinced it's the TV as I don't see a problem with BluRays (although I haven't watched that many BluRays).

I tried switching to the component input and/or rebooting the satellite receiver but neither seem to fix the problem. I've also noticed that I may have a problem on one channel (and its SD equivalent) but not on another channel.

Are you using optical or HDMI for your audio? I'm using optical.
LG811User is offline  
post #298 of 5878 Old 05-30-2010, 11:37 AM
Member
 
christberg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 73
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by terminaldawn View Post

Can someone else please try to reproduce this issue? I want to find out if I am the only one?

Thanks!

I don't have this problem at all on my 50C8000. This is probably a heat or airflow related problem. As long as the TV has plenty of space for the vents and the room isn't 9 bajillion degrees it's probably an issue with the heatspreaders/sinks/fans not being properly mounted during installation. I'd give Samsung a call about it.
christberg is offline  
post #299 of 5878 Old 05-30-2010, 11:52 AM
Member
 
Rino13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: New Jersey, USA
Posts: 158
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by terminaldawn View Post

I believe the firmware on these sets is jacked up. I can actually reproduce the issue with ease by turning up the brightness (see below).


Issue:
Blacks have green and blue pixel noise. This affects black level and overall picture quality.

How I discovered the issue:
I was watching Star Trek (2009) blu-ray and noticed that the black bars looked GREY. I was like WTF! So I tried changing the settings, turning the television on and off. And no avail, the overall PQ was terrible. I got up close to the television and looked at the black bars playing on the movie. They had green and blue pixels dancing in the black. I tried to take video but it didn't turn out.

How to reproduce the issue:
Option 1:
Put in any 2.35:1 blu-ray. Set picture to Standard with default settings. Turn up brightness to 57 or higher. You will then see the issue. Also it will not show up on really bright scenes. I was watching 5th Element and some brighter scenes didn't reproduce the issue.
Option 2:
Put in a test disk with a 0 IRE pattern up. Set picture to Standard with default settings. Turn up brightness to 57 or higher.

How to fix the issue:
Lower brightness to a level that is not acceptable for an accurate picture.
MantisBoxer suggests that turning off the set and or switching through the different modes also fixes the issue but I am not able to correct the issue.


I am starting to lose faith in this television due to this issue, the fact my set buzzes and I am also experiencing some SERIOUS line bleed as well (I spoke to soon regarding this topic earlier.)

Can someone else please try to reproduce this issue? I want to find out if I am the only one?


Thanks!

i have not experienced any of that on my set.
Rino13 is offline  
post #300 of 5878 Old 05-30-2010, 12:25 PM
Advanced Member
 
terminaldawn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Milwaukee
Posts: 706
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by christberg View Post

I don't have this problem at all on my 50C8000. This is probably a heat or airflow related problem. As long as the TV has plenty of space for the vents and the room isn't 9 bajillion degrees it's probably an issue with the heatspreaders/sinks/fans not being properly mounted during installation. I'd give Samsung a call about it.

I have my set on a stand about 2 ft away from the wall, so not a wall mount issue

You also cannot see this issue during the day. It needs to be a darkened room and you have to adjust your brightness to a certain level. I orginally thought it was an issue with increasing gamma. But you can reproduce the issue on the default Standard mode with Brightness raised to about 57 or so. Take a look up close at the blacks. They are jacked. Also its not like I am raising the brightness to a level that is out of calibration. I know mantisboxer had this issue. And I thought you also had this issue earlier. I am very skeptical that its my set. It seems more like a firmware issue to me.
terminaldawn is offline  
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung Pn50c8000 50 In 3d Hdtv Plasma Tv , Samsung Pn50c8000 50 Inch 1080p 3d Plasma Hdtv , Samsung Pn63c8000 63 Inch 1080p 3d Plasma Hdtv , Samsung Pn58c8000 58 Inch 1080p 3d Plasma Hdtv Black , Samsung Pn58c8000 58 3d Plasma Tv 16 9 Hdtv 1080p 58in Ws Plasma 1080p 3d Ready 600hz 4 Hdmi Ultra S
Gear in this thread

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off