*The Official Samsung PNxxC8000 Owner's Discussion Thread!! - Page 13 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #361 of 5882 Old 06-02-2010, 10:01 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by socwrkr View Post

Maybe we should start an official "2010 Samsung Buzzing" thread. I feel like all the buzzing talk is completely taking over this thread and other posts are getting somewhat ignored. This is a great tv with a lot of cool features and I would think this would be the thread to read about them but cutting through all of the buzzing posts makes it difficult and tends to make other questions and posts lost in the shuffle. Anyone else feel this way?

LINK.....http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...g+2010+buzzing
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 5882 Old 06-02-2010, 10:16 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by sry110 View Post

Kind of off-topic, but: I bought the 4-year Geek Squad protection plan with this tv. Should I be having Geek Squad come out to check out the buzzing, or should I be calling Samsung?

Geek Squad, or any local retailer within the warranty or return period, would be more responsive and it would be quicker and easier to do a swap if needed.
post #363 of 5882 Old 06-02-2010, 10:22 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by christberg View Post

This weekend I took the time and watched Star Trek end to end and the blacks were spectacular, as always. I even got right up on the screen and sure, there was a little PWM but nothing abnormal.

I watched Blade Runner after that which is even darker and got the same results.

Can you post your settings? I'm thinking you've got something or another cranked up too high.

What is PWM?

I was using MantisBoxers settings. Also it happens on standard mode with default values except for brightness turned up to 57, which is about what it needs to be at according to the calibration discs I have.

What settings are you using?

Also I no longer see "black" on my set its a dark grey at best. The blacks were better on my Sony KDS-60A2000.

I am going to research how to measure my black level. I have a i1 display LT. I know this is not the best tool to do it but will try. If anyone has any links to point me to so I can measure my black level would be appreciated.
post #364 of 5882 Old 06-02-2010, 10:36 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sound & Vision View Post

Maybe it's just me.. But it seems like CNET is taking there sweet time on putting out a review for samsung's flagship 8000 plasma.

I agree. Same with the VT20/VT25. VT20 has been out for some time now and there isnt a review.
post #365 of 5882 Old 06-02-2010, 10:38 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topless Stang View Post

I think we shouldn't have a seprate thread about buzzing. I think in the owners thread we should be discussing problems/questions/etc that other 'owners' are having.

I agree. Buzzing is a REAL issue that some people have. Count yourself lucky if you didn't get a buzzer.

I am convinced I just got a bad set, buzzes, bad line bleed, and washed out picture due to Pixel noise in black. Seems there are a lot of happy people out there, I guess I just got a bad set.
post #366 of 5882 Old 06-02-2010, 10:42 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by terminaldawn View Post

I agree. Buzzing is a REAL issue that some people have. Count yourself lucky if you didn't get a buzzer.

I am convinced I just got a bad set, buzzes, bad line bleed, and washed out picture due to Pixel noise in black. Seems there are a lot of happy people out there, I guess I just got a bad set.

when you say the blacks are not black ... are they black but not dark enough .. or just really grey ?

I ran the Pioneer experience demo disk .. and the blacks are black on mine but lighter then i was hoping they would be. During the day all is dark black, but at night it glows a bit more then I hoping for.
post #367 of 5882 Old 06-02-2010, 10:46 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I have to wonder if Samsung decision to move production and assembly to Mexico results in this buzzing issue. In the past Samsung sets made in Japan/Korean were universally praised....
post #368 of 5882 Old 06-02-2010, 10:48 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectronicTonic View Post

LINK.....http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...g+2010+buzzing

I never noticed that (i guess alot of other people forgot about it too)
thanks for the link
post #369 of 5882 Old 06-02-2010, 11:00 AM

so could anyone confirm that the slim tilting mounts found from monoprice work well with the 63c8000? If not, what do you guys suggest?
post #370 of 5882 Old 06-02-2010, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhinoballz View Post

I have to wonder if Samsung decision to move production and assembly to Mexico results in this buzzing issue. In the past Samsung sets made in Japan/Korean were universally praised....

If the buzz is an electrical issue, then I would think it has more to do with where the components are made, and not where the TV is final assembled.
post #371 of 5882 Old 06-02-2010, 11:32 AM

I noticed the Green pixels on my set yesterday while watching a 4x3 program, and in the night time shots of deadliest jobs. you have to get pretty close to the set to see this, but when you back away i noticed that the image looked washed out. this was driving me nuts, but when I read about going to movie mode and then back to my cal-night mode, it completley went away. picture is much better. even if you dont see the green pixels from your couch, i think that if they are their, it is affecting the picture quality.
post #372 of 5882 Old 06-02-2010, 11:41 AM
Advanced Member

i kinda have in the back of my mind if i should change to the 54vt25 ... i have the 58c8000 and will lose a little bit of size .. but the pq is great .. and i don't want to go through the hassle ... but ugh i don't know
post #373 of 5882 Old 06-02-2010, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neceo View Post

i kinda have in the back of my mind if i should change to the 54vt25 ... i have the 58c8000 and will lose a little bit of size .. but the pq is great .. and i don't want to go through the hassle ... but ugh i don't know

Why? I have the PN58C8000 and absolutely love it... sure the buzz is a little annoying, but Sammy appears to be pro-active in releasing updated firmware versions for these sets... by the time Christmas rolls around and 3DTV's are selling like wildfire, they will have all the kinks fixed I'm sure.
post #374 of 5882 Old 06-02-2010, 11:48 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryantiguan View Post

Why? I have the PN58C8000 and absolutely love it... sure the buzz is a little annoying, but Sammy appears to be pro-active in releasing updated firmware versions for these sets... by the time Christmas rolls around and 3DTV's are selling like wildfire, they will have all the kinks fixed I'm sure.

the buzz doesn't bug me ... and the pq is amazing .. watching avatar was just wow ( if you go to the kuro pics thread and they have some avatar pics there, it looked the same ) .. I don't have glasses yet so couldn't try any 3d or 2d to 3d. It is just watching at night the black levels are a big higher then i was hoping for
post #375 of 5882 Old 06-02-2010, 11:50 AM

Quote:

the buzz doesn't bug me ... and the pq is amazing .. watching avatar was just wow ( if you go to the kuro pics thread and they have some avatar pics there, it looked the same ) .. I don't have glasses yet so couldn't try any 3d or 2d to 3d. It is just watching at night the black levels are a big higher then i was hoping for

What do you mean exactly by the black levels are a bit higher then you were hoping for? Like if a person is wearing a black suit in a movie that you're watching at night, the suit will appear to be slightly grey'ish?
post #376 of 5882 Old 06-02-2010, 11:56 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

What do you mean exactly by the black levels are a bit higher then you were hoping for? Like if a person is wearing a black suit in a movie that you're watching at night, the suit will appear to be slightly grey'ish?

now it is black ..

I have the Pioneer demo disk downloaded and it has videos to show off contrast levels and black levels. At night when viewing that the tv glows

like this scene

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2794/...8c02cb75_b.jpg

below a pic of plasma vs lcd

http://www.evolym.com/wp-content/upl...shootout_2.jpg

my tv looks closer to the right,lcd, then the plasma at night, not as bad as that but the glow is there. During the day it is black
post #377 of 5882 Old 06-02-2010, 12:10 PM

Quote:

Don't count on it pal.... I owned a Sammy LCD LN52A850 that was one of their best at the time.... but it suffered from severe *clouding* from day one.... firmware updates only made things worse and Sammy was at a loss. Then Sammy abandoned all of their 850 owners and dropped all R&D to solve the issue. So we were all left with brand new defective garbage. Most of us sold our sets for less than half of the purchased price after only 18 months of troubled ownership. Fortunately I was able to get Samsung to buy back the set for full price because they admitted they had no fix for the set... therefore it qualified as a lemon in my state.

Therefore, if it's clear that this new C8000 Sammy has a severe issue, be it BUZZING or snowy Vid-Noise.... don't expect ANYTHING from Samsung... they will send out 3rd party repair guys that don't know crap about nothing, they'll fuss with your set as many times as you call them.... then they'll try to convince you that your set is "perfectly normal" and that there is "nothing else they can do".

Moral of story... if you're NOT happy and you have a chance to get your money back.... DON'T HESSITATE for even a second... do it... or else the return window WILL close.

But if you're completely satisfied, close your eyes and don't look back.
post #378 of 5882 Old 06-02-2010, 12:40 PM

I would agree with this, during the day the TV looks excellent, but at night during dark scenes, there is what i can only describe as a slight haze in the picture. I don't know if other plasmas like the vt25 would be any better ( this is my first plasma) I watched Avatar on Blue Ray, and id looks excellent, Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs ( with the Kids) and it looked great. I think CG material looks the best on this TV, but im not 100% sold on the other sources. Will continue to play with settings.
post #379 of 5882 Old 06-02-2010, 12:45 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edmeister View Post

I would agree with this, during the day the TV looks excellent, but at night during dark scenes, there is what i can only describe as a slight haze in the picture. I don't know if other plasmas like the vt25 would be any better ( this is my first plasma) I watched Avatar on Blue Ray, and id looks excellent, Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs ( with the Kids) and it looked great. I think CG material looks the best on this TV, but im not 100% sold on the other sources. Will continue to play with settings.

HD tv looks great as well... pirates of the Caribbean looked great, and i saw a quick peak at bb of dark knight .. and i'm going to borrow a blu-ray copy to test tonight.. the chase scene is what I want to look at
post #380 of 5882 Old 06-02-2010, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CappyDen View Post

Don't count on it pal.... I owned a Sammy LCD LN52A850 that was one of their best at the time.... but it suffered from severe *clouding* from day one.... firmware updates only made things worse and Sammy was at a loss. Then Sammy abandoned all of their 850 owners and dropped all R&D to solve the issue. So we were all left with brand new defective garbage. Most of us sold our sets for less than half of the purchased price after only 18 months of troubled ownership. Fortunately I was able to get Samsung to buy back the set for full price because they admitted they had no fix for the set... therefore it qualified as a lemon in my state.

Therefore, if it's clear that this new C8000 Sammy has a severe issue, be it BUZZING or snowy Vid-Noise.... don't expect ANYTHING from Samsung... they will send out 3rd party repair guys that don't know crap about nothing, they'll fuss with your set as many times as you call them.... then they'll try to convince you that your set is "perfectly normal" and that there is "nothing else they can do".

Moral of story... if you're NOT happy and you have a chance to get your money back.... DON'T HESSITATE for even a second... do it... or else the return window WILL close.

But if you're completely satisfied, close your eyes and don't look back.

I agree if you not happy with your tv def return it or exchange it. but severe issues with this tv ??? Every TV is gonna have problems and issues.Maybe I am crazy or just not seeing what you guys are seeing....but this TV has an awsome PQ. No clouding or snowy vid noise. Yes my set has a very slight buzz but actually my DVR cable box buzzes louder. i just think people are nitpicking this set and not just enjoying it. Sometimes I think these forums make people paranoid by reading stuff and they start to look for crap thats not there. I am not saying people are not experiencing problems but it seems like a lot of them are being overblown, or maybe i got lucky and got one of the few sets that doesnt have a lot of problems.
post #381 of 5882 Old 06-02-2010, 01:13 PM

Almost bought Dark Knight today. please let me know how those scenes look. I agree that HD during the day looks great, and bright scenes at night also look great, but it's the dark scenes that have me wondering if there is a better set out there. maybe i'm being to picky, but I cant spend this king of money that often, and i wan't to be sure i've made the right choice.
post #382 of 5882 Old 06-02-2010, 01:17 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edmeister View Post

Almost bought Dark Knight today. please let me know how those scenes look. I agree that HD during the day looks great, and bright scenes at night also look great, but it's the dark scenes that have me wondering if there is a better set out there. maybe i'm being to picky, but I cant spend this king of money that often, and i wan't to be sure i've made the right choice.

that's kind of my thinking ... TV looks great but at night let me see how it handles some parts in dark night

the pioneer demo video the colors and motion is great, but the black ( like the picture i shown above ) is brighter then I was expecting
post #383 of 5882 Old 06-02-2010, 01:45 PM

Quote:

now it is black ..

I have the Pioneer demo disk downloaded and it has videos to show off contrast levels and black levels. At night when viewing that the tv glows

like this scene

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2794/...8c02cb75_b.jpg

below a pic of plasma vs lcd

http://www.evolym.com/wp-content/upl...shootout_2.jpg

my tv looks closer to the right,lcd, then the plasma at night, not as bad as that but the glow is there. During the day it is black

in the second pic, the tv on the right is the plasma sammy? If so the blacks are kind of disappointing looks like my unb6000.
post #384 of 5882 Old 06-02-2010, 01:47 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domcorleone View Post

in the second pic, the tv on the right is the plasma sammy? If so the blacks are kind of disappointing looks like my unb6000.

no no no just an example

that is an lcd

and the plasma isn't that bad but it doesn't appear as dark as the one on the left
post #385 of 5882 Old 06-02-2010, 02:29 PM

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Just a heads up to anyone looking for extra glasses....look for seller amoledtopjj on ebay. I was able to pick up 1 of the rechargeable pair of glasses & 1 of the battery operated pairs w/4 replacement batteries for just a hair over $200!
post #386 of 5882 Old 06-02-2010, 02:56 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Seems that some of you are having trouble with blacks.. Well I can say that my blacks look fantastic.. If your playing with the 10-point grey scale adjustment you can easily pull green into the blacks.. So leave that alone.

Here are my settings for comcast. Give them a try. Set standard back to it's default by resetting it. Then change "only" what I listed below.

"Standard Picture Mode"

*PN58C8000 / 1019.1 Firmware.

Cell Light: 18
Contrast: 80
Brightness: 45
Sharpness: 25
Color: 55
Tint: G50/R50
Color Temp: Warm 1

Black Tone: Darkest
Dynamic Contrast: High
Gamma: +3
Edge Enhancement: On

Color Space: "Custom" Choose Yellow & change Green to 22, Red to 66.. This makes yellow really "pop" just like the old sony's!

Digital Noise Filter: High (catv)
MPEG Noise Filter: High (catv)
Motion Judder Canceller: Off

*These Below settings are from mantisboxer;

White Balance:

R-OFFset: 25
G-OFFset: 25
B-OFFset: 23
R-GAIN: 16
G-GAIN: 25
B-GAIN: 31
post #387 of 5882 Old 06-02-2010, 03:06 PM

Quote:

Seems that some of you are having trouble with blacks.. Well I can say that my blacks look fantastic.. If your playing with the 10-point grey scale adjustment you can easily pull green into the blacks.. So leave that alone.

Here are my settings for comcast. Give them a try. Set standard back to it's default by resetting it. Then change "only" what I listed below.

"Standard Picture Mode"

Contrast: 97
Brightness: 50
Sharpness: 20

Color Space: "Custom" Choose Yellow & change Green to 22, Red to 66.. This makes yellow really "pop" just like the old sony's!

R-OFF: 25
G-OFF: 25
B-OFF: 23

I..... want to
post #388 of 5882 Old 06-02-2010, 03:24 PM

Quote:

"Standard Picture Mode"

Contrast: 97
Brightness: 50
Sharpness: 20

R-OFF: 25
G-OFF: 25
B-OFF: 23

Is there anyway to do this in one of the cal settings (day or night). I really like the standard settings for some material but would like to use your settings for more daytime watching so i dont want to get rid of the standard out of the box settings
post #389 of 5882 Old 06-02-2010, 03:31 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Is there anyway to do this in one of the cal settings (day or night). I really like the standard settings for some material but would like to use your settings for more daytime watching so i dont want to get rid of the standard out of the box settings

You can in a way by choosing a different Picture Mode and changing settings there and just toggling between the two Modes as need be.
post #390 of 5882 Old 06-02-2010, 03:51 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:

Yes, you can put them under any setting you wish.. I was aiming for what looks the best, and not for a washed out 6,500k THX referance.. So please keep that in mind.

Just remember this one thing!! The inputs each have their own custom set of picture memory adjustments.. So if you set this up for your cable box in "standard" picture mode hdmi-1, then switch to hdmi-2 "standard" picture mode, that hdmi-2 "standard" will have to be adjusted as well as hdmi-3 etc.. Some times folks overlook this.. The only time all of the picture adjustments are the same with all inputs is at their default out of the box setting or when there all reset.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung Pn50c8000 50 In 3d Hdtv Plasma Tv , Samsung Pn50c8000 50 Inch 1080p 3d Plasma Hdtv , Samsung Pn63c8000 63 Inch 1080p 3d Plasma Hdtv , Samsung Pn58c8000 58 Inch 1080p 3d Plasma Hdtv Black , Samsung Pn58c8000 58 3d Plasma Tv 16 9 Hdtv 1080p 58in Ws Plasma 1080p 3d Ready 600hz 4 Hdmi Ultra S
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page