*The Official Samsung PNxxC8000 Owner's Discussion Thread!! - Page 157 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #4681 of 5898 Old 01-28-2011, 08:05 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeaveyAxe View Post

Not quite sure what you're meaning when you say "when i use the apps i am usually watching regular tv through my VIP 922 from Dish Network." When I use apps such as netflix or streaming video via Media Play, I ran an optical cable from the TV to the receiver and switched to that input.

It means when i use the apps I am usually watching tv, I want to see how all of you routed your sound, I will create a harmony activity that that just switches over the volume like you said to it's own input on my receiver.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4682 of 5898 Old 01-28-2011, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkhead View Post

When using the apps on the PN63C8000 how are you guys getting your volume? I have everything going through my Denon reciever, when i use the apps i am usually watching regular tv through my VIP922 from Dish Network. When using the apps i get no volume.

How can i achieve this?

You need to get audio from the TV to your receiver. The best way to do this is over your HDMI cable from the receiver, providing that your receiver supports the HDMI ARC (audio return channel) function. You will need to enable ARC on your receiver and make sure to plug into HDMI2 on your TV which is the only port that supports ARC.
post #4683 of 5898 Old 01-28-2011, 08:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:

It means when i use the apps I am usually watching tv, I want to see how all of you routed your sound, I will create a harmony activity that that just switches over the volume like you said to it's own input on my receiver.

Thanks

It depends on which Denon you have. As someone mentioned if your AVR supports ARC, then use the HDMI method. If not then you will need to send audio from the TV to the Denon (I will have to do this since I have a Denon 3808). A friend of mine had the same issue with his Vizio, and created an "Internet TV" activity. Another way would be to use the blu-ray player if it has internet apps.
post #4684 of 5898 Old 01-28-2011, 12:22 PM

thanks for the help, also can i plug in a external hd to the C8000 and stream movies off of it? Or even have the hard drive available on the network and stream that way? If so what formats?(mkv?)

thanks!
post #4685 of 5898 Old 01-28-2011, 01:16 PM

Quote:

thanks for the help, also can i plug in a external hd to the C8000 and stream movies off of it? Or even have the hard drive available on the network and stream that way? If so what formats?(mkv?)

thanks!

There's no HD capability per say to my knowledge. However there is some USB memory stick support, and there may be some HD products that will fake it. But you are probably best off either installing a DLNA server on a PC that is always on, or else a NAS that supports DLNA. There are plenty of those at reasonable prices plus many routers today have an NAS function that simply require you plug a USB hard drive into the router.

DLNA navigation on the remote is painful though. There are solutions that will let you use an external device (e.g. IPad, iPhone, Android, PC) to select and or queue up video to play on the TV. The external program has it's own UI for browsing. It sends a URL to the TV and then the TV streams directly from the server. The DMC iPad app is one example.
post #4686 of 5898 Old 01-28-2011, 02:06 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtara View Post

....But you are probably best off either installing a DLNA server on a PC that is always on, or else a NAS that supports DLNA. There are plenty of those at reasonable prices plus many routers today have an NAS function that simply require you plug a USB hard drive into the router.

I'd love to know of some specific devices to consider buying. Ideally I want to continue using my Windows 7 media playing, but I want to download media (from any computer) to a hard drive that is plugged in USB to the panel. If this is too far off-topic, please pm me with products you've had success with.
post #4687 of 5898 Old 01-28-2011, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItzMe View Post

I'd love to know of some specific devices to consider buying. Ideally I want to continue using my Windows 7 media playing, but I want to download media (from any computer) to a hard drive that is plugged in USB to the panel. If this is too far off-topic, please pm me with products you've had success with.

SageTV has my favorite software plus devices by far, but it can be much more up to a full DVR replacement for ALL your video sources. (Local/Satellite/DVD/BluRay/Web/Music/Etc)

Rather than download everything to a hard drive, you put all your media on a single server box that can be accessed over the network anywhere in the house. So it may be more complex than you need. I looked into MythTV, XBMC, etc and ended up going with SageTV for everything. I have one of their HD Theater devices in my living room that streams everything to the TV over HDMI. (It is not free, nor open source, but the services run on Win/Linux/Mac... Also it has a large community that supports it with free custom plugins, etc.)

One of the nicest customizations can be seen HERE
post #4688 of 5898 Old 01-28-2011, 03:12 PM
Advanced Member

I think I want simpler- ideally no media serving software. Picture a hard drive plugged into the panel via usb. Then I want to have that HD appear as a device on my network. That's it.
post #4689 of 5898 Old 01-28-2011, 07:51 PM

Quote:

I think I want simpler- ideally no media serving software. Picture a hard drive plugged into the panel via usb. Then I want to have that HD appear as a device on my network. That's it.

One of my friends has the old version of the WD Elements Play... Pretty much just a hard drive with a pretty gui... I'd do that instead of using the Samsung media interface since it is pretty poor. Just looking at pictures on a USB thumbdrive is a pain IMO. (i.e. You'd just hook this think up to the HDMI port.)

Looks like a simple device... (For me I like having everything in one place so I don't have to copy around. But that does make it more complex up front.)

Note that the one that my friend has was prior to them putting a hard drive in it so he just hooks up a USB drive to the back of his. (You can do that with this one, but it also has built in storage. I'm not 100% it was a WD brand but it was by one of the big hard drive manufacturers.)

EDIT: I just noticed your comment about the hard drive showing up on the network. This device won't do that, but they have others that would. Or you could get a streamer without a drive inside and get a network attached storage device and just connect it by USB. Or just get a networked streamer device... Lots of options on those now. I'd just stay away from the Samsung media interface.
post #4690 of 5898 Old 01-28-2011, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kclfoxtrot View Post

I am having issues with pass through of the HDMI signal to the TV with the receiver off. Have tried EVERYTHING but I can not get HDMI to pass through. I have heard of others having a similar issue. Not sure if it is the TV, the receiver or the SA Cable box. But others have seemed to get this same combo to work with other TV's.

I could not get pass through to work on my Pio 1120K and Samsung 58C8000 either. I got rid of the 1120K.
post #4691 of 5898 Old 01-28-2011, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocuMaker View Post

I could not get pass through to work on my Pio 1120K and Samsung 58C8000 either. I got rid of the 1120K.

On denon receivers you have to make rue to enable HDMI-CEC on the receiver. (It's not necessary on the TV, and I prefer to keep it off on the TV because otherwise it will keep switching he receiver to the TV input when you turn the TV on. yMMV with other receivers.
post #4692 of 5898 Old 01-29-2011, 04:28 AM

Quote:

I have the 58c8000 and the Pioneer 1120. Passthrough works fine. After I set this in the receiver menu, I had to power off/on the Pioneer receiver. Once I did that, it worked fine.
post #4693 of 5898 Old 01-29-2011, 06:21 AM

Quote:

I have the vsx-32 which is essentially the same reciever and pass through works, you have to turn CEIC it on on both reciever and tv to make it work
post #4694 of 5898 Old 01-29-2011, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeaveyAxe View Post

Question about the blinking... Is everyone using a Motorola DCX 3400 box, or are there other cable boxes that are producing this issue as well? (Yes, I realize that people are getting the blink on all sources!)

I have had this Moto box since around July, and I have had the blinking, but my older Moto box did not make my Samsungs blink. I just assumed the problem was with the box, and not with the TV(s).

It seems that my Samsung blinks off for a few seconds exclusively when I am fast forwarding rapidly through commercials on my DVR. It drives me nuts, because it makes it so I can't see and sometimes I end up fast forwarding past the end of the commercials, and then I have to back up.

I thought it was a problem perhaps with having the box set to native output. My old Comcast box did not have this native output feature, so I was forced to use 1080i.

Anyway, I can't recall many times (maybe a few over months?) when I was just sitting there watching the picture and the video blanked out. Almost always it seemed to happen when I was rapidly fast forwarding through commercials on the Moto DCX 3400 DVR.
post #4695 of 5898 Old 01-29-2011, 07:40 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdellar17 View Post

One of my friends has the old version of the WD Elements Play... Pretty much just a hard drive with a pretty gui... I'd do that instead of using the Samsung media interface since it is pretty poor. Just looking at pictures on a USB thumbdrive is a pain IMO. (i.e. You'd just hook this think up to the HDMI port.)

Looks like a simple device... (For me I like having everything in one place so I don't have to copy around. But that does make it more complex up front.)

Note that the one that my friend has was prior to them putting a hard drive in it so he just hooks up a USB drive to the back of his. (You can do that with this one, but it also has built in storage. I'm not 100% it was a WD brand but it was by one of the big hard drive manufacturers.)

EDIT: I just noticed your comment about the hard drive showing up on the network. This device won't do that, but they have others that would. Or you could get a streamer without a drive inside and get a network attached storage device and just connect it by USB. Or just get a networked streamer device... Lots of options on those now. I'd just stay away from the Samsung media interface.

Thanks for the info. I think I want to explore NAS (network attached storage). Reasons: 1) I do want the storage to show up on the network
so I can download media to it from any PC in the house and 2) I do want to have the storage attached to the c8000 by USB because the c8000 offers more features that way, such as remembering where you paused.

Does anyone have a NAS setup like that above? Can it be done inexpensively and reliably?
post #4696 of 5898 Old 01-29-2011, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrysilver View Post

I have the vsx-32 which is essentially the same reciever and pass through works, you have to turn CEIC it on on both reciever and tv to make it work

Thanks, but give me a little credit.

Just like the person I was responding to, I TRIED EVERYTHING to get it to work. I turned all those features on and off on both the TV and the AVR. No dice. Many others have complained about pass-through not working on their Pio 1120K.
post #4697 of 5898 Old 01-29-2011, 07:44 AM

Quote:

On denon receivers you have to make rue to enable HDMI-CEC on the receiver. (It's not necessary on the TV, and I prefer to keep it off on the TV because otherwise it will keep switching he receiver to the TV input when you turn the TV on. yMMV with other receivers.

I had a Denon 2310CI as well, and it did not have any problems with pass through on my Samsungs. Worked perfect without a hitch. Some of us simply have problems with the Pioneer 1120K and our Samsungs. You can read the Pio thread. Others have complained about it too, maybe even with other brand TV's. I sold it, and stopped following the thread.
post #4698 of 5898 Old 01-29-2011, 09:00 AM

Quote:

I have 3 2TB external USB 2.0 hard drives connected to my C8000 via an 8 port USB 2.0 hub. Over 400 full resolution dvd/bluray movies are stored between all three of them. Most of these movies are in mkv/mp4/avi format. I never have issues browsing the directories or playing the movies from these drives. All movies have full DD/DTS support outputed via an optical cable to my AVR. Also the fact that I have a USB hub allows me to add additional drives with ease.

DLNA was an option for me, but I found it unreliable, and also had problems while streaming a bunch of mkv files.

These are the drives I have, they are more than affordable and do the job just fine. Sure RAID would be nice, but once I start to hear them clicking I will just replace them. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16822207017
post #4699 of 5898 Old 01-29-2011, 12:20 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnpr View Post
I have 3 2TB external USB 2.0 hard drives connected to my C8000 via an 8 port USB 2.0 hub. Over 400 full resolution dvd/bluray movies are stored between all three of them. Most of these movies are in mkv/mp4/avi format. I never have issues browsing the directories or playing the movies from these drives. All movies have full DD/DTS support outputed via an optical cable to my AVR. Also the fact that I have a USB hub allows me to add additional drives with ease.

DLNA was an option for me, but I found it unreliable, and also had problems while streaming a bunch of mkv files.

These are the drives I have, they are more than affordable and do the job just fine. Sure RAID would be nice, but once I start to hear them clicking I will just replace them. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16822207017
Sounds great, but I'm still confused if and how I might make that drive(s) accessible on my network? Or do you physically move files around?
post #4700 of 5898 Old 01-29-2011, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Necessary for me as i watch over the air(OTA) broadcasts in 5.1 digital surround. I only have one cable (HDMI) attached to TV. No HDMI-CEC= no sound. All other components are run to my receiver. Yes its a pain when it force switches to TV but i force switch it back.In the end i win!
BTW...I get zero blinks...none...nada...ziltch.Not with BD-c6900 or PS3.This thread touched on some of the settings that seemed to prevent the issue in earlier posts.My PQ is vivid and amazing and i will gladly share all my settings if anyone wishes....there are alot! pn58c8000+Denon791+BD-c6900+PS3
post #4701 of 5898 Old 01-29-2011, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Sounds great, but I'm still confused if and how I might make that drive(s) accessible on my network? Or do you physically move files around?
I have to physically transfer the files from my laptop to the drives, not that big of a deal.

If you are still deciding on going the NAS route, I would suggest it be a mid to highend unit with decent processing power, or else you won't be getting good network speeds.
post #4702 of 5898 Old 01-29-2011, 02:52 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I have to physically transfer the files from my laptop to the drives, not that big of a deal.

If you are still deciding on going the NAS route, I would suggest it be a mid to highend unit with decent processing power, or else you won't be getting good network speeds.

I see. Is anyone using NAS successfully? If so, what are you using hardware wise?
post #4703 of 5898 Old 01-29-2011, 08:23 PM

Looking to see if someone could help me with this random question: I'm trying to find a measurement for a 58c8000 and I can't seem to find it anywhere. If the TV is on its stand, what is the measurement from the base of the stand to the bottom of the picture (not the bottom of the bezel, but the actual picture area of the TV). I hope that makes sense...

Also, does the owners manual describe a break-in procedure? I've read about people breaking them in with slides and discs (I'm assuming the TV does not come with this), and I was wondering what the manufacturer has to say about this. Does breaking it in help avoid IR or burn in?

Thanks for the help, it's greatly appreciated!
post #4704 of 5898 Old 01-29-2011, 10:30 PM

Mine blinks but only with Netflix streaming!

What bothers me more than anything is when the glasses lose sync during 3D
Will this ever be remedied??!!
post #4705 of 5898 Old 01-30-2011, 08:20 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:

How do you rip your BluRays? I finally got a new PC with a blazing fast Intel Core i7-2600 CPU for video stuff. I want to start making digital backups of my BRs to stream and/or put on external drives.
post #4706 of 5898 Old 01-30-2011, 09:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by sigmaace01 View Post

How do you rip your BluRays? I finally got a new PC with a blazing fast Intel Core i7-2600 CPU for video stuff. I want to start making digital backups of my BRs to stream and/or put on external drives.

Anydvdhd works well.
post #4707 of 5898 Old 01-30-2011, 06:37 PM

What is the difference between the PN58C8000YF and PN58C7000YF. I can get the 8000 for 5% over cost but I have a hold on the 7000 series for ~$1800. Does anyone know what the cost price is for the PN58C8000YF ?
post #4708 of 5898 Old 01-30-2011, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by supernova View Post

Looking to see if someone could help me with this random question: I'm trying to find a measurement for a 58c8000 and I can't seem to find it anywhere. If the TV is on its stand, what is the measurement from the base of the stand to the bottom of the picture (not the bottom of the bezel, but the actual picture area of the TV). I hope that makes sense...

Also, does the owners manual describe a break-in procedure? I've read about people breaking them in with slides and discs (I'm assuming the TV does not come with this), and I was wondering what the manufacturer has to say about this. Does breaking it in help avoid IR or burn in?

Thanks for the help, it's greatly appreciated!

Hey Super
The measurement your looking at is ~ 5" from whatever the tv is sitting on to the start of the actual picture.
The tv does comes with a scrolling feature built in for break in purposes.
Just for the 1st 1 or 2 hundred hours or so should you be careful to avoid stationary images and the like. Slight image retention is normal at first but goes away quickly. I ran the scrolling feature several times for a few hours but didn't get too excited about it and my tv is just fine. I tried to fill the screen with the picture as much as i could at first also. Just a matter of using common sense and you'll be ok.
post #4709 of 5898 Old 01-30-2011, 10:32 PM

I have a new problem that just started happening. On white backgrounds, I get a bunch of flickering pinkish pixels. They are concentrated on the top band horizontally on the screen. I first noticed it while I was running my break-in dvd on an all white screen. It doesn't flicker on the break-in dvd and looks like pink spray paint on white. On certain commercials with a complete white background, I will see the pink pixels flickering. I was just watching a movie with skiing and saw some of the pink flickering against the snowy backgrounds. I wonder if this has something to do with the pixel shift?
LL
LL
post #4710 of 5898 Old 01-31-2011, 12:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinJ View Post

I have some image tearing meaning some part of the screen will split in half on certain MW2 BOps game play. Not sure what is going on there. I did set it on game mode also. I'm wondering if its due to the HDMI cable. On my LCD I used a high grade one. I used a low grade one to try my PS3 on the 8000 where I had tearing.

1080P Game Mode Glitch.

Happens on all TV's.

Samsung has no fix.

Here is my report

I own a C8000 63" plasma.

There is a screen glitch that happens every 10-15 minutes or so while playing any game in 1080P. It happens on both the Xbox 360 and PS3.

The top 1/3 of the screen desyncs and the colors are off above the line that passes through the screen.

It happens once every 10-15 minutes and only for a few seconds.

Here is the issue.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P8RJnJtDWCQ

Watch the video in 720P It starts at around 25 seconds.

I've done hours of research trying to isolate the problem. I've upgraded the firmware to the latest edition.

I actually had the TV exchanged, tried different 360's, different PS3's, different wires, receivers, inputs. I've actually fixed it...sort of.

The issue is that the TV doesn't process 1080P properly in Game Mode. I noticed it in all 1080P PS3 games as well. 720P and 1080i PS3 games played perfectly. However the issue happened on all 360 games.

That happens because the 360 tries to upscale everything to 1080P. If you uncheck 1080P as a display option on your console settings, the issue no longer happens.

I've been trying to relay this information to Samsung but have been unsuccessful. Low level tech support only suggests having a techinician look at it, but this does not appear to be a hardware issue.

There is obviously a software bug on the sets as this happens on all models 6500 -7000 - 8000. I've been active on the AVSforum and have confirmed that users in Game Mode and with 1080P games all experience this issue.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung Pn50c8000 50 In 3d Hdtv Plasma Tv , Samsung Pn50c8000 50 Inch 1080p 3d Plasma Hdtv , Samsung Pn63c8000 63 Inch 1080p 3d Plasma Hdtv , Samsung Pn58c8000 58 Inch 1080p 3d Plasma Hdtv Black , Samsung Pn58c8000 58 3d Plasma Tv 16 9 Hdtv 1080p 58in Ws Plasma 1080p 3d Ready 600hz 4 Hdmi Ultra S
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page