*The Official Samsung PNxxC8000 Owner's Discussion Thread!! - Page 16 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

Old 06-05-2010, 03:43 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stsamdude View Post

I about lost it here a little bit ago as the second replacemeant to my PN58B860, the PN58C8000 arrived just minutes ago and sure enough the panel was completely shattered. Wow! You'd think Samsung Exchange could hire a shipping company that can do theire job correctly and not destroy a 3,000.00 dollar (US) tv. I am at a loss for words. I have been waiting over 2 months to get this issue resolved. I think it is time to just get my money back and move on. What a shame. Very dissapointed to say the least. I took pics this time. Notice how the set appears to be bowed in from the center across the top. My guess is it was scquezzed from end to end when the delivery driver shut the back door of the van against the box squezzing it which bowed it in shattering the panel. Yea!!!

Jeff

Speaking as the recipients of 2 broken 58c8000's so far, we feel your pain! Where did you order it from? Crutchfield says they are adding extra packing to our next one, which has taken a week to do for some reason, after it finally came back in stock. We're close to 5 weeks into this now without delivery of a working set.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-05-2010, 03:58 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by CappyDen View Post

Okay no one wishes to answer me... that's okay..... but I just returned from BB where they price matched Crutchfield.. without any questions. (BB had it priced at MSRP of $3799.00, we paid $400 less.) So I placed my Mexican built Sammy PN63C8000YFXZA in my Van where it now sits in my family room waiting to be installed, fired up and calibrated.

My Serial Number is ZIZY3CKZ400486. This will become important if we wish to track the Buzzers from the non-Buzzers.... don't you think so?

I'll let you all know how it fairs sometime tomorrow. If it is a buzzer, (or bad vid-noise) then maybe we should try to see if it's a bad batch by looking at the S#'s of those that have these issues from those that do not.

Ciao

I PMd you. You may want to read it before taking your tv out of the box.
Old 06-05-2010, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildcatJon View Post

Search my name on these forums in both the un8000 and pn8000 threads. I had the un55c8000 for 25 days and returned it for the pn58c8000. I also posted a comparison on amazon under "happy in Ohio". Bottom line is I have your exact same conditions and the plasma wins hands down. See settings thread for my advice there too. Enjoy.

I really doubt that the C8000 PDP's look better than the C8000 LED in a bright room. The plasma will wash out, unless your window(s) are only behind the screen. If you have windows anywhere in the 180° radius in front of your plasma, with natural light pouring in the room, the blacks will washout on the plasma and turn a deep greenish-gray, like sea water. They will not be black.

The C8000 LED will look jet-black no matter how bright it gets in the room.
Old 06-05-2010, 05:10 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
So when comparing the 7000 to the 8000... the consensus is that blacks are 'better' or 'MUCH better'?

I finally had the chance to see a 7000 first-hand (at BB), and the darks/blacks were quite poor, and the set was fairly reflective. I seem to recall the 850/860 performing much better on both accounts.

Understanding the in-store setting isn't ideal, but it wasn't overly-bright in the TV section. Much dimmer than the rest of the store... and yes the LCD's were showing strong blacks =[

I've been set to buy an 8000, but a poor experience with a 7000 is giving me pause.
Motion blur from an LCD is preferable to the blacks i saw today.

Does anyone know when impartial professional reviews on these sets could be made available? I'm very curious how an 8000 rates in relation to a 7000. Grateful for opinions from those who've owned or closely evaluated both.
Old 06-05-2010, 05:31 PM

playing HD video though USB port in LG BD390...connected to C8000 via HDMI......feeding it at 24fps 1080p......i am seeing picture reset (like for a fraction of a sec) in bright scenes...guess dark scene you wont notice...feels like some processing issue....dont see this while playing BD disc...this happens in all picture modes.....
secondly, while playing HD video through USB in c8000 it stopped playing after couple of mins...i do not not know if its more related to the file size...as it is HD video size > 2GB single file.....played other HD videos that are < 1GB and those worked fine....
just thinking whether i need to take 4 years extended warranty from BB....any thoughts..

thirdly when scene changes or there is some motion, pixels get stuck with the same color feels like a trace left....not sure if this is what is called pixelation or is it halo effect? dont know...this happens while playing HD videos thru USB port...again no issue while playing BD discs..

PQ is amazing......it has > 100 hrs on it.....had some buzzing initially which is much less now and acceptable....only 3D mode or 2d to 3d conversion it is slightly high....
Old 06-05-2010, 07:57 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Bonus points to who ever can answer this question!!

Is there any way of setting the USB play to continuous? I want to play some USB content continuously without it stopping at the end, and having to keep restarting it.

It would appear that pressing the blue button let's the media content on USB continue from where it left off of where it was last playing, but that's all it seems to do.
Old 06-05-2010, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by terminaldawn View Post

My set seems to be stuck in this Pxel Noise mode. The set does perform REALLY well during the day, especially for a plasma, however at night it screen is washed out. I have tried adjusting my settings every which way. I am just not happy with the night time black levels. I wanted a plasma for a better picture quality but the set I have is not performing as I would hoped. I get a replacement on Friday, hopefully it works much better.

Did you try setting the ecco setting to off ? i noticed it kinda washes out my picture if its on at night.
Old 06-05-2010, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmoviestar View Post

okay i need (please) someone to post what break-in settings i should have and how to acess them its my 1st plasma i have a set of slides downloade a pack of 120 but if someone knows a better way than slides or a preferred trusted slides site please let me know but i dont want to do this wrong so holding my hand (in a non gay way , not that im against it ) would be nice thanks i am recieving on the 10th june the 63c8000 thanks

anyone? please i want to have everything ready when tv arrives
Old 06-06-2010, 12:34 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by opus123 View Post

So when comparing the 7000 to the 8000... the consensus is that blacks are 'better' or 'MUCH better'?

I finally had the chance to see a 7000 first-hand (at BB), and the darks/blacks were quite poor, and the set was fairly reflective. I seem to recall the 850/860 performing much better on both accounts.

Understanding the in-store setting isn't ideal, but it wasn't overly-bright in the TV section. Much dimmer than the rest of the store... and yes the LCD's were showing strong blacks =[

I've been set to buy an 8000, but a poor experience with a 7000 is giving me pause.
Motion blur from an LCD is preferable to the blacks i saw today.

Does anyone know when impartial professional reviews on these sets could be made available? I'm very curious how an 8000 rates in relation to a 7000. Grateful for opinions from those who've owned or closely evaluated both.

I don't know about consensus, but my impressions of the C7000 in a store versus the C8000 in my home is that the C8000 is at least "better." I hesitate to call it "MUCH better" without having tried the C7000 in my home, but I can say that not every store had a halogen light shining down on it and it running in Dynamic.

However, subjectively, I think the C8000 was worth the $200 we paid over the C7000. I hope this helps.
Old 06-06-2010, 08:58 AM

My PN63C8000 was FINALLY delivered yesterday! Here are some pics that I took this morning; I should note that I took these with my iPhone camera this morning around 9:30 and that there is a bay window just to the left with overcast weather outside. (The image is much sharper and less pixelated than these pictures show.):

Nice eh?

I plugged in the settings found in this thread; here are my quick impressions: The picture is BEAUTIFUL, but it isn't perfect. There is a dull hum / buzz that comes and goes depending on what is displayed on the screen. Honestly, I don't think I've EVER seen a plasma that doesn't have some sort of hum / buzz... it's one of the few (minor) drawbacks of the technology. Normal audio levels at normal seating distances cover any sounds. The blacks are REALLY good, but not "inky". The 3D is also quite good with little to no observed ghosting / crosstalk. The wife really likes the form factor / aesthetics of this set. It goes nicely with my Infinity Modulus II surround speakers. Daytime reflections are there, but certainly aren't an issue. I am being careful, but I'm not noticing any IR. I have not run any break in slides.

In short: so far, so good! I'll add more to my comments as I spend more time with the set.

I did have one question: When there is a dark scene on the TV that is all black, the screen appears to turn off to enhance the blacks and immediately fires back up when something not black appears on the screen. Is that normal? Is there a setting to adjust this?
Old 06-06-2010, 09:06 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 599 Post(s)
Liked: 741
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocuMaker View Post

I really doubt that the C8000 PDP's look better than the C8000 LED in a bright room. The plasma will wash out, unless your window(s) are only behind the screen. If you have windows anywhere in the 180° radius in front of your plasma, with natural light pouring in the room, the blacks will washout on the plasma and turn a deep greenish-gray, like sea water. They will not be black.

The C8000 LED will look jet-black no matter how bright it gets in the room.

With all of the glitches a LCD/LED has, I would still choose a plasma. I do have to say all flat panels are nice
Old 06-06-2010, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorO View Post

Speaking as the recipients of 2 broken 58c8000's so far, we feel your pain! Where did you order it from? Crutchfield says they are adding extra packing to our next one, which has taken a week to do for some reason, after it finally came back in stock. We're close to 5 weeks into this now without delivery of a working set.

Mine was a replacement for a bad PN58B860. Both sets came straight from a Samsung Warehouse in Chicago. I think shippers just go with the odds and handle how ever they want and figure that most will survive. I was not so lucky twice.
Old 06-06-2010, 11:26 AM

aaargghh link to settings for break in pleeaaase
Old 06-06-2010, 11:41 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

You REALLY need to make use of the search feature. This question has been answered at least a dozen different times in many threads.

I'll give you my quick opinion. Switch to movie or one of the cal modes. Change size from 16:9 to Screen fit (or whatever it's called). Watch your tv, and stop worrying about it. Don't watch too much content with black bars on top or sides, or game too much for the first week or two.
Old 06-06-2010, 12:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 24
I used a break in DVD with my previous two plasma's but said screw it with my new Samsung. All it does is waste power. It doesn't break anything in. Just watch the damn TV. It's not a newborn baby.
Old 06-06-2010, 12:07 PM

Quote:

What I did is I grabbed that Word document that someone posted earlier in the thread (or maybe it was the general PNxxCY000 thread), and just knocked contrast and brightness down to 50. Not good?
Old 06-06-2010, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_pro View Post

You REALLY need to make use of the search feature. This question has been answered at least a dozen different times in many threads.

That's really the problem: These threads are impossible to find anything in. I went through them very carefully, a week ago, and I don't remember anything about break-in-specific settings.
Old 06-06-2010, 12:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by bicker1 View Post

What I did is I grabbed that Word document that someone posted earlier in the thread (or maybe it was the general PNxxCY000 thread), and just knocked contrast and brightness down to 50. Not good?

I just calibrated it to the way it looks good to me.

Have you ever heard of someone buying a brand new car, driving it home, parking it in the garage, and just leaving it on idling for 8 hours a day? No? Either have I.
Old 06-06-2010, 12:29 PM

I agree with the sentiment, but the point is that idling a new car for 8 hours a day doesn't actually help preclude problems later on, while "idling" a plasma television supposedly does (or at least, at some point in the past, did, if you believe that plasma televisions can no longer possibly suffer from burn-in).
Old 06-06-2010, 01:22 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rino13 View Post

Did you try setting the ecco setting to off ? i noticed it kinda washes out my picture if its on at night.

Ecco setting is off on my set.
Old 06-06-2010, 01:26 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by pantheman75 View Post

My PN63C8000 was FINALLY delivered yesterday! Here are some pics that I took this morning; I should note that I took these with my iPhone camera this morning around 9:30 and that there is a bay window just to the left with overcast weather outside. (The image is much sharper and less pixelated than these pictures show.):

Nice eh?

I plugged in the settings found in this thread; here are my quick impressions: The picture is BEAUTIFUL, but it isn't perfect. There is a dull hum / buzz that comes and goes depending on what is displayed on the screen. Honestly, I don't think I've EVER seen a plasma that doesn't have some sort of hum / buzz... it's one of the few (minor) drawbacks of the technology. Normal audio levels at normal seating distances cover any sounds. The blacks are REALLY good, but not "inky". The 3D is also quite good with little to no observed ghosting / crosstalk. The wife really likes the form factor / aesthetics of this set. It goes nicely with my Infinity Modulus II surround speakers. Daytime reflections are there, but certainly aren't an issue. I am being careful, but I'm not noticing any IR. I have not run any break in slides.

In short: so far, so good! I'll add more to my comments as I spend more time with the set.

I did have one question: When there is a dark scene on the TV that is all black, the screen appears to turn off to enhance the blacks and immediately fires back up when something not black appears on the screen. Is that normal? Is there a setting to adjust this?

I noticed this as well. I think this is normal. For me it only happens when starting up DVD's. I think that the BLACK Tone Setting may affect this behavior but not sure.
Old 06-06-2010, 03:19 PM

I noticed that you don't have the same picture options on all sources. Like when i try to change picture settings on USB playback i can't change gamma, white balance etc. If i change these settings when viewing regular television do these settings apply to all sources?
Old 06-06-2010, 06:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by almostinsane View Post

i used a break in dvd with my previous two plasma's but said screw it with my new samsung. All it does is waste power. It doesn't break anything in. Just watch the damn tv. It's not a newborn baby.

+1
Old 06-06-2010, 07:47 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sisko197 View Post

I don't know about consensus, but my impressions of the C7000 in a store versus the C8000 in my home is that the C8000 is at least "better." I hesitate to call it "MUCH better" without having tried the C7000 in my home, but I can say that not every store had a halogen light shining down on it and it running in Dynamic.

However, subjectively, I think the C8000 was worth the $200 we paid over the C7000. I hope this helps.

It all helps. thanks Sisko. My local BB won't carry the 8000 (they told me Magnolia only), and they no longer display the remotes (to help discern how good/bad the settings).

Bothers me b/c
1. The 850 they had on display (same environment) for the past few months showed much better blacks
2. I may need to blind-buy the 8000, thus potentially going through a return/exchange loop
Old 06-06-2010, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bicker1 View Post

can anyone pm or send me the document or link to it thanks just its a 3000 dollar investment dont want to take any chances
Old 06-06-2010, 08:53 PM

Liked: 14
Picked up my PN50C8000 Today from Abt Electronics. Hooked up by Nick C over there. I know I can't post prices so I will type it down in BCD.

0001 0111 0101 0011.

So far I am enjoying it very much. Messing around with settings and such. It's funny, overall the TV is barely bigger than my 46 inch Panny. My inlaws are enjoying that set now. Good set still btw.
Didn't get the 3D player or glasses. I did order 2 adult and 1 kid pairs online though. Should be nice with the 2d to 3d conversion for now.

They had the VT25 and the C8000 next to each other. At the store the Samsung seemed to have better blacks and picture. But I am sure it was from the settings being all jacked up. I will admit both sets are very nice after a bit tweaking. As much as I love my old panny, in this case the Samsung was the better deal and choice for me.

Will keep checking back here for any info and posting anything I find out.
Old 06-06-2010, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post

With all of the glitches a LCD/LED has, I would still choose a plasma. I do have to say all flat panels are nice

Plasmas certainly do have their advantages. I have two plasmas in my living room right now, so I am not down on plasma. They just do not work as well in a bright room with windows anywhere in front of them. If you can keep the light shining in behind them, they are superior to LED. Many people watch in the evening after work anyway, so plasma may work best for them. I do think that LED is catching up to PDP though, and narrowing the gap every year.

The Kuros were plasma's swan song...
Old 06-07-2010, 02:47 AM

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorO View Post

At least you got a set! Mine shipped from ABT on 5/28. It sat in a truck until 6/2. I called to complain for the 2nd time and they finally shipped it...only after I complained! They said it would be here this past Friday(6/4) & it has yet to get here. I got a call of Friday from the shipper to try and set up delivery time. They had the nerve to tell me the earliest was Wednesday (6/9). After complaining they said they don't do deliveries in my area on Monday...so the soonest would be Tuesday. Begrudgingly I agreed. After the call I checked the site and the delivery date(which was set at 6/7) was changed to 6/9(Wednesday)! Suffice it to say they will be getting a call from me bright and early tomorrow. I live in Pa, which is not all that far from Chicago. However...my set still took almost 2 weeks to reach me! If ABT only uses Airgroup to ship that will be my last freight order from them. I don't know what others have experienced...but this is boderline ridiculous to me. In comparison I ordered some parts the same day the TV shipped. They were comming from China and I've already received them...[/rant]
Old 06-07-2010, 04:00 AM

Hey guys,

Do any of your sets make like an intermittent popping noise? I notice this mainly during black scene pauses or changes. Seems to get better when the tv has been on for a while. Is this normal?
Old 06-07-2010, 04:14 AM

Haven't noticed anything like that.

Tags
Samsung Pn50c8000 50 In 3d Hdtv Plasma Tv , Samsung Pn50c8000 50 Inch 1080p 3d Plasma Hdtv , Samsung Pn63c8000 63 Inch 1080p 3d Plasma Hdtv , Samsung Pn58c8000 58 Inch 1080p 3d Plasma Hdtv Black , Samsung Pn58c8000 58 3d Plasma Tv 16 9 Hdtv 1080p 58in Ws Plasma 1080p 3d Ready 600hz 4 Hdmi Ultra S