*The Official Samsung PNxxC8000 Owner's Discussion Thread!! - Page 189 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #5641 of 5878 Old 04-12-2012, 02:07 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkhead View Post

I got my USB wireless adapter in today...I plug it in and nothing happens, i go to the network settings and try to select something other than wired and its not even an option.

Any ideas?

Have you disconnected the RJ45 before connecting the dongle? Did you buy the Samsung dongle or another brand? I'd try disconnecting the RJ45, power cycle the TV for shits and grins and then try the dongle. I haven't looked at the manual, but does it matter which USB port you use for the dongle?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5642 of 5878 Old 04-13-2012, 06:56 AM

Liked: 10
When playing Internet content (i.e. HBO GO) if I hit the menu button to adjust the picture (brightness, contrast, cell light, etc.) the TV switches to another input (il.e. TV tuner). Picture adjustments made on other inputs do not affect the picture in Internet mode. Anyone know how to adjust the video for Internet content?

I haven't been very interested optimizing picture quality for the Internet apps until now but the HBO GO streams actually look pretty good!

"lovingdvd" and "ferl" posted something similar back in January but I didn't see any follow-up.

PN63C8000
post #5643 of 5878 Old 04-13-2012, 03:46 PM
Advanced Member

Lovingdvd is probably your best bet. I checked a few things at his request. I played with the apps when I first got the TV and quickly lost interest in them.

post #5644 of 5878 Old 04-16-2012, 01:08 PM

Yeah, me, too. Most of the apps were lame except for Netflix but I don't recall having any problem adjusting video parameters while watching that app (I no longer subscribe). But with HBO GO and a few others the "menu" button causes the TV to exit the Internet TV stack completely so there's no way to adjust anything. Grrr.
post #5645 of 5878 Old 04-17-2012, 06:03 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I've had this set since July 2010, and recently while working on a fanedit of Harry Potter I noticed a lot of pixelation or blotchiness (not sure how to describe it) in the darker scenes as if there is heavy compression going on. There was plenty of compression and effects applied to the video, so I figured it was just that. However, since then I have been noticing it on a lot of material. Pretty much anything with dark scenes has this issue. I've also noticed that my blacks seem to be a bit red (notice this on credits). I've tried adjusting quite a few things but can't seem to really make a difference.

Can anyone help me figure out what is causing this, and what settings I can use to help alleviate it?

I suppose it could have been there all along and I never noticed it until it recently, but it really stands out now.
post #5646 of 5878 Old 04-28-2012, 05:10 AM

Can somebody tell me what my tv is doing?? It always happens during light or white scenes. At least that's when I notice it. I have taken some pics. Is it fixable? Or am I screwed? It's a pn58c-8000. And just out of warranty ( help me!
It's that flickering red stuff at the top of the tv
LL
LL
post #5647 of 5878 Old 04-28-2012, 05:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nismosis View Post

Can somebody tell me what my tv is doing?? It always happens during light or white scenes. At least that's when I notice it. I have taken some pics. Is it fixable? Or am I screwed? It's a pn58c-8000. And just out of warranty ( help me!
It's that flickering red stuff at the top of the tv

That's "pink banding", common problem with C series plasma Solution is replace whole panel or just get replacement TV from warranty.. call samsung, they should know problem and may honor warranty even if it is out of date..
post #5648 of 5878 Old 04-28-2012, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jogi View Post

That's "pink banding", common problem with C series plasma Solution is replace whole panel or just get replacement TV from warranty.. call samsung, they should know problem and may honor warranty even if it is out of date..

Really? That sucks. Do u know of people who have got new tvs even tho they are out of warranty?
post #5649 of 5878 Old 04-28-2012, 12:45 PM

Quote:

Really? That sucks. Do u know of people who have got new tvs even tho they are out of warranty?

I called Samsung. I was very polite. They said tough ****. It's out of warranty. Very unfortunate. I would assume replacing a panel is probably as pricey as buying a new tv? This was expensive when I bought it and should be lasting tens of years not two! Sorry for my rant. Just frustrated, panny may have a new customer
post #5650 of 5878 Old 04-28-2012, 01:07 PM

Yeah just as I thought. The Samsung still has a great picture. I think if more people complain then something could get done just like the Sony SXRD debacle but that took a class action suit.
post #5651 of 5878 Old 04-28-2012, 06:08 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:

I called Samsung. I was very polite. They said tough ****. It's out of warranty. Very unfortunate. I would assume replacing a panel is probably as pricey as buying a new tv? This was expensive when I bought it and should be lasting tens of years not two! Sorry for my rant. Just frustrated, panny may have a new customer

How far out of warranty are you? I was 6months out, and they replaced my panel. I explained to the person on the phone that this was a wide spread issue. They had to talk to their manager, then came back on the line and said they'd extend my warranty. I didn't even have to show them pictures of the issue, or an original receipt.
post #5652 of 5878 Old 04-29-2012, 05:57 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I had the same pink banding issue...6 months out of warranty. At first they told me that it was out of warranty and that I would have to replace the panel and pay for the parts and labor. I kept explaining that they have been replacing these panels on out of warranty TVs and this is a widespread issue. Then they budged a little and said that they would pay for the panel but I would have to pay for labor. I kept explaining to them that it should be a free repair because of their past practices fixing this problem on this TV and it is a widespread issue/defect. The support person wouldn't budge anymore so I demanded to talk to his supervisor. He was very reluctant to do so as he kept telling me that i was wrong and he was getting very snippy with me. He finally relented and put me on hold. When he came back he said that Samsung approved the fix and would include parts and labor in the fix with no cost to me.

The panel was replaced two weeks later and I have not seen any pink banding in the new panel. It looks better than when I first bought it. It was a hassle to get them to fix it, but it was definitely worth the 25 minute phone call.

Lou

post #5653 of 5878 Old 04-29-2012, 04:11 PM
Advanced Member

How long have the new panels been issue free?

post #5654 of 5878 Old 04-29-2012, 05:02 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferl View Post

How long have the new panels been issue free?

I've only had my new panel for about 2 months, so it's too soon to tell...for me. I'm hoping for the best though, fingers crossed.
post #5655 of 5878 Old 04-30-2012, 03:07 PM

I have also had the pink banding issue. My TV was 3 months out of warranty but some persistence with the customer service people resulted in an extension of my warranty. I am scheduled to have the panel replaced on Wednesday.
post #5656 of 5878 Old 04-30-2012, 07:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnps View Post

I have also had the pink banding issue. My TV was 3 months out of warranty but some persistence with the customer service people resulted in an extension of my warranty. I am scheduled to have the panel replaced on Wednesday.

Bit of a warning...

I had a Samsung PN50C8000 (bought refurbished from thehighdefinitionstore.com) and had pink banding out of the box.

Samsung replaced the panel a few days ago. Now i have a bunch of dead pixels. Check this when they replace your panel.

By the way, I strongly discourage you all from buying a tv from thehighdefinitionstore.com/intech. They had provided me with ZERO customer support other than call Samsung.
post #5657 of 5878 Old 05-01-2012, 07:00 AM

Samsung has me pretty upset right now. When I first got my tv, there were lines on the screen which resembled the dirty screen effect from other plasmas. Amazon exchanged it for me no questions asked. My replacement had pink banding which I tried to ignore, but in the end Amazon replaced it again. The final set looked good, but where the bezel meets the glass, there's a type of insulation there, which was hanging out and laying on the screen. At this point I told Amazon I was going to give up, but they were nice and took some money off the set asking if I would accept one final replacement. I did and it was good for a while.

About 8 months in I started to notice the pink banding again, along with the HDMI handshake issues more frequently. I called Samsung and got an executive customer service rep on the phone. I explained to her my past with this set and asked if I could pay a bit of money and switch to another model. She said she would love to, but they need to set up a repair at least once. She said if I have issues they'll replace it. She set up the repair and said the company (NISI, NJ) would be in contact with me. Keep in mind I'm in Hyde Park, NY, which is pretty far from NJ.

Three days go by and I hear nothing, then get an email from Samsung saying my repair was cancelled. No explanation...just cancelled. So I called and they said the company claimed they couldn't get in contact with me, which was a total lie considering I gave both my house and cell number. So they said to call the repair company and tell them to set up an appointment. The repair company was extremely nasty on the phone and said I needed to contact Samsung and tell them to make a NEW ticket. So I contact Samsung, they set up a new one, and direct me to call the repair company AGAIN. I called them back and set up the appointment for today. I informed them that I work on weekdays and would need to take off to meet the repair man. They said that the tech would be in contact with me prior to the repair and especially if parts need to be ordered which could cause them to reschedule the repair.

Fast forward to today....hmmmm....no repair man. Finally I get a call from the repair man from NISI who says "ummmm....unfortunately I'm not going to be able to come today. The parts are going to get here in another 3 or 4 days and we can set up an appointment for then."

I was extremely pissed. I asked why I wasn't told in advance, to which he said he had no excuse. So I hung up with him and called Samsung. Surely they would have to understand how unprofessional this was and how I had just lost a day of wages to accommodate an appointment which never happened. NOPE. The rep put me on hold forever, finally saying that they couldn't authorize the exchange yet because the repair company JUST ordered parts. They said that with parts in transit, they can't authorize an exchange. So they still want this guy to come to my house on another day and work on the tv. I said it was ridiculous and asked what that does for me or my lost wages...to which I was told that they wouldn't do anything.

At this point I don't know what to do...I'm so damn angry.
post #5658 of 5878 Old 05-01-2012, 04:23 PM

As an update. After speaking with 7 customer service reps today, I finally was able to get them to agree to do the exchange, but now they're trying to pull a fast one with me. They are saying my warranty is expired now. It expired on April 30th, when my initial call for repair was April 17th. I said that I was covered under warranty, because it was extended 3 months for registering online. The lady began to question when I purchased it and when I confirmed when and where, she tried to say that the 3 months extension doesn't cover as much as the regular warranty. She's saying that she has to put it in as an out of warranty exchange in which I would have to pay a premium for the exchange. I plan on arguing it with the exchange representatives when they call me with options.
post #5659 of 5878 Old 05-01-2012, 05:29 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathrattlehead View Post

As an update. After speaking with 7 customer service reps today, I finally was able to get them to agree to do the exchange, but now they're trying to pull a fast one with me. They are saying my warranty is expired now. It expired on April 30th, when my initial call for repair was April 17th. I said that I was covered under warranty, because it was extended 3 months for registering online. The lady began to question when I purchased it and when I confirmed when and where, she tried to say that the 3 months extension doesn't cover as much as the regular warranty. She's saying that she has to put it in as an out of warranty exchange in which I would have to pay a premium for the exchange. I plan on arguing it with the exchange representatives when they call me with options.

As with any company, you will have to jump through some hoops. I'll bet when it's all said and done, the time you've invested in a valid arguement will result in you being satisfied. Unlike our most recent poster, I'm sure you will avoid terms like "have got", "sucks" and "screwed". Samsung knows there are issues and will respond in a manner that acknowledges their good sense of customer service and your ability to present a literate argument.

post #5660 of 5878 Old 05-01-2012, 05:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 29
It's a shame that most manufacturers now days have turned to building junk to only last a year or two and make the customers fight to get what they've payed for and it's not just Samsung it's most now.
post #5661 of 5878 Old 05-02-2012, 05:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferl View Post

As with any company, you will have to jump through some hoops. I'll bet when it's all said and done, the time you've invested in a valid arguement will result in you being satisfied. Unlike our most recent poster, I'm sure you will avoid terms like "have got", "sucks" and "screwed". Samsung knows there are issues and will respond in a manner that acknowledges their good sense of customer service and your ability to present a literate argument.

Even though I know I'm correct and they have no right to be calling this an out of warranty exchange, I figured I would start a chat with a Samsung representative and see what they told me. I figured I should be prepared when the exchange representatives contact me. Here is how the two different conversations went down:

Quote:

Chat Transcript
info: Please wait for a Samsung Agent to respond.
info: You are now chatting with 'Powell'. There will be a brief survey at the end of our chat to share feedback on my performance today.
info: Your Issue ID for this chat is LTK5640xxxxxxx
Powell: Hi, thanks for reaching out to Samsung tech support. How can I help you today?
Visitor: Hi, I received 3 extra months of warranty from Samsung for registering my television online. I'm just wondering if it is an extension of the full warranty
Powell: After registering the Samsung product on the Samsung web site you will get additional 3 months warranty. The warranty of the product will be parts 15 months and labor 15 months.
Visitor: Right, so it's exactly the same as the initial warranty? Just extended 3 months, correct?
Powell: Yes, you are correct.
Visitor: Thank you! You've been a great help.
Powell: You're welcome. Is there anything else I can assist you with?

Quote:

Chat Transcript
info: Please wait for a Samsung Agent to respond.
info: You are now chatting with 'Vince'. There will be a brief survey at the end of our chat to share feedback on my performance today.
info: Your Issue ID for this chat is LTK5640xxxxxxx
Vince: Hi, thanks for reaching out to Samsung tech support. How can I help you today?
Visitor: Hi, I just had a question about warranty repair on a television. If you are within your warranty when you have an issue, but the repair or exchange process takes so long that you go past your warranty expiration, are you still covered?
Vince: I understand that you are looking for the warranty information regarding the TV. Am I correct?
Visitor: I'm just asking if your tv is covered if you report a defect within your warranty date, but the repair process extends beyond your warranty expiration.
Visitor: Say I'm covered until May 30th of this month, and have a defect on the 17th. If I call it in right on the 17th, but the repair process doesn't complete until after May 30th, will I still be covered?
Vince: Yes, if the unit is in warranty, when you create the request. It will cover under warranty.
Visitor: Thank you very much
Visitor: I appreciate your help.
Vince: You're welcome. Is there anything else I can assist you with?
Visitor: No, you've been a great help. Thank you.

post #5662 of 5878 Old 05-02-2012, 09:52 AM
FX4

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:

Yup, me. They replaced the panel and the new panel had more issues. They offered me to swap it out for a 64 E8000 for 300.00. I jumped on the deal. I'm tired of watching Jay Leno's head pop in and out of a pink blob. The repairs were free.
post #5663 of 5878 Old 05-02-2012, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FX4 View Post

Yup, me. They replaced the panel and the new panel had more issues. They offered me to swap it out for a 64 E8000 for 300.00. I jumped on the deal. I'm tired of watching Jay Leno's head pop in and out of a pink blob. The repairs were free.

Was your C series a 64" as well? Mine is a 50", so if they offered me the deal you were given I would jump on it as well. I would easily settle for a 51" E Series. I say settle, but I'd be pretty pumped.
post #5664 of 5878 Old 05-02-2012, 11:57 AM

Hello...I have a 42" samsung with a black vertical line, about 3 inches wide or so. I decided to try replacing the buffer boards to determine if the screen or the board was bad. In replacing the board, I noticed that the particular ribbon cable right where the black vertical area is looked as though part of the silver contact that goes in the board connector was only half the side of all the other ribbon cables. I looked at the original buffer board and seemed to notice a small black spot. The ribbon cable has a straight edge on the end of it, so it doesnt seem damaged or melted, but yet is about 1/3 the size compared to all the other ribbon cables that are aligned across the bottom. Has anyone encoutnered this before? And is there anyway to replace this ribbon cable on the panel? I dont think it can, but thought I would check with those that have more knowledge than me. Any advice is appreciated...trying to determine if the panel is useless...there are no cracks btw...

Thanks
post #5665 of 5878 Old 05-02-2012, 02:09 PM

I had the panel replaced today on my PN63C8000. The pink/purple banding is gone. It remains to be seen if this will be a long term fix but I am hopeful.

One thing the repair technician said was for me to keep the TV running for 2 to 3 days without turning it off to get the new panel burned in. He mentioned about getting the set up to a high temperature for an extended period. I am a bit skeptical about this. Has anyone had a recommendation like this or have any comments whether this is a good thing to do or not.
post #5666 of 5878 Old 05-02-2012, 07:37 PM
FX4

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by deathrattlehead View Post

Was your C series a 64" as well? Mine is a 50", so if they offered me the deal you were given I would jump on it as well. I would easily settle for a 51" E Series. I say settle, but I'd be pretty pumped.

No the C models didn't have a 64", it was a 63". You have to go through a few hoops before they swap out the television.
post #5667 of 5878 Old 05-04-2012, 08:45 AM

They're trying to offer me an exchange for a fee saying it's out of warranty, which is not true because it was within warranty when I initiated the repair. When I said that, they said they want a receipt, to which I said I wasn't told I needed that considering I registered online and was told I was fully covered just for doing that. I don't know where my receipt is on a tv that's 15 months old, and they never said I would need it for this.

So she gave attitude and said they're going to go by the manufacture date of the television, which was August or something, which is absurd. The television could have been on the shelf for a year when it was purchased. I then told her I was promised I would be covered under warranty, and I emailed her the transcripts I posted above. She says she's going to review them with her manager and call me back. This is just crazy.
post #5668 of 5878 Old 05-04-2012, 10:00 AM
AVS Special Member

You need to do what ever you can to find the reciept go to where you bought it see if they can get you a copy I know Best Buy can. The manufacturer is going to do what ever they can to fix their problem it is a shame that a expensive tv doesn't last 2 years. Then make the consumer jump through hoops to get it fixed. I dont own a Samsung like the look of them but really puts a sour taste in my mouth.
Good luck
post #5669 of 5878 Old 05-06-2012, 09:03 AM

After a lot of arguing they reduced the fee from $350 to $200 for a 51" E8000. It comes with a full warranty so I agreed.
post #5670 of 5878 Old 05-06-2012, 10:14 AM
AVS Special Member

At least your getting something but this has really turned me away from Samsung Tv.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung Pn50c8000 50 In 3d Hdtv Plasma Tv , Samsung Pn50c8000 50 Inch 1080p 3d Plasma Hdtv , Samsung Pn63c8000 63 Inch 1080p 3d Plasma Hdtv , Samsung Pn58c8000 58 Inch 1080p 3d Plasma Hdtv Black , Samsung Pn58c8000 58 3d Plasma Tv 16 9 Hdtv 1080p 58in Ws Plasma 1080p 3d Ready 600hz 4 Hdmi Ultra S
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page