*The Official Samsung PNxxC8000 Owner's Discussion Thread!! - Page 196 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #5851 of 5878 Old 11-22-2013, 04:45 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by walke108 View Post

I thought the only way the tv output Dolby digital was through the arc function. If i remember correctly it doesn't output Dolby through the optical out. Is your headset connected to the optical? I am a little confused?
I don't have it connected yet because I didn't know if it would be stereo or 5.1 dolby digital. In the sound options of the tv you can select spdif out and choose pcm or dolby digital.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5852 of 5878 Old 11-22-2013, 05:00 AM

Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrathloki View Post

I don't have it connected yet because I didn't know if it would be stereo or 5.1 dolby digital. In the sound options of the tv you can select spdif out and choose pcm or dolby digital.
From the owner's manual- "Optical jack only outputs 2 channel audio..."

Why don't you connect you receiver and tv via arc (input 2), and hook up your headphones to the receiver directly? Or, hdmi from Xbox one to the receiver?
post #5853 of 5878 Old 11-22-2013, 05:19 AM

I do have my xbox one connected to the receiver directly and my tv connected to the receiver through arc. I don't think my receiver has an optical out though.
post #5854 of 5878 Old 11-22-2013, 05:32 AM

I just checked, the receiver does not have optical out.
post #5855 of 5878 Old 11-22-2013, 05:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrathloki View Post

I just checked, the receiver does not have optical out.
I am assuming the headphones only have an optical connection? Maybe an adapter exists?
post #5856 of 5878 Old 11-22-2013, 05:41 AM

They are optical only, they're the Astro a50 headset, they require dolby digital as well, which the xbox one does not output through optical.
post #5857 of 5878 Old 11-27-2013, 11:34 AM

I've recently started noticing that on a white screen, ONLY on a white screen flickering black lines show up in the center of the image and stretch horizontally to the edges of the TV.....it's more prevent if there is a white screen an a logo or img in the center of it. I thought at first I might be able to fix it by modifying settings, but I have not had any luck. However, the image is still crisp and sharp with no banding on any other color in the background.....just not white.
post #5858 of 5878 Old 01-04-2014, 08:35 AM

Hi. Wondering if anybody has a creative solution here?

I'm looking for a way to remotely power on / power off my PN50C8000YFXZA. I'm presently only turning on / off via the IR sensor. I'd like to be able to turn it on / off when I'm not in the room.

A couple of more details: All of my other devices (that matter here) have triggered inputs or can be powered on off over my internal LAN. Perfect application is my iPhone controlling my Pre/pro (Marantz AV7005).

Is there a way to either toggle power on / off to the PN50C8000YFXZA over a smart phone? Or if not some way to rig up the PN50C8000YFXZA to a trigger out of my AV7005?

Thanks for any help.
post #5859 of 5878 Old 01-07-2014, 06:58 PM

Liked: 11
Hey Guys,

I just wanted to check in and see how everything was going. I have had my 63 C8000 since they came out and as of now no issues. I hate that people are still having issues with these.

I have been thinking about doing a update but with no issues I'm not sure I should.

BTW, I have never done any updates to this set.

Sammy PN63C8000

Onkyo TX-SR605

HR44-700

HP-T5064 Still going

post #5860 of 5878 Old 01-08-2014, 02:18 AM

Well I've had this for over 3 years now and while it's always been a great picture quality I have noticed lately that I'm losing distinction between black levels. This isn't something that can be fixed with brightness or backlight as it just makes the crushed area brighter, still no distinction. Is this an inherent problem with plasmas?
post #5861 of 5878 Old 01-08-2014, 07:52 AM

There was talk a long time ago that the black level could actually get better? (If I remember correctly)

Sammy PN63C8000

Onkyo TX-SR605

HR44-700

HP-T5064 Still going

post #5862 of 5878 Old 01-08-2014, 08:05 AM

Maybe it's time I call for service?
post #5863 of 5878 Old 01-08-2014, 02:13 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dankfoot View Post

I have been thinking about doing a update but with no issues I'm not sure I should.

BTW, I have never done any updates to this set.

Don't do it. Leave well enough alone. If the update hoses something up, you can't go back.

post #5864 of 5878 Old 01-08-2014, 08:01 PM

I was kind of thinking that.....

Sammy PN63C8000

Onkyo TX-SR605

HR44-700

HP-T5064 Still going

post #5865 of 5878 Old 01-12-2014, 08:53 PM

I've also got issues with light screens with ice hockey being a good example. I notice about a 4-in wide horizontal blueish line across the screen. A second issue I have is during dark scenes where there is a vertical area from top to bottom about 10-in at its widest where the image is not as dark as the rest of the screen. I have a 4-yr warranty from the store I bought it from and they referred me to the company that does their repairs. They asked for pictures which I provided and they responded that it was an issue with the power supply so they're scheduled to be here Wednesday to resolve it. I'm surprised that these two distinct issues would be caused by the power supply but I'll see what happens after they replace the power supply.
post #5866 of 5878 Old 01-13-2014, 06:17 AM

Good luck. I hope it works for you.

Sammy PN63C8000

Onkyo TX-SR605

HR44-700

HP-T5064 Still going

post #5867 of 5878 Old 01-20-2014, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zxvfrr41 View Post

I've also got issues with light screens with ice hockey being a good example. I notice about a 4-in wide horizontal blueish line across the screen. A second issue I have is during dark scenes where there is a vertical area from top to bottom about 10-in at its widest where the image is not as dark as the rest of the screen. I have a 4-yr warranty from the store I bought it from and they referred me to the company that does their repairs. They asked for pictures which I provided and they responded that it was an issue with the power supply so they're scheduled to be here Wednesday to resolve it. I'm surprised that these two distinct issues would be caused by the power supply but I'll see what happens after they replace the power supply.

The repair technician tested the voltage. He said it should be 210 and was showing as 208 so he adjusted it. The horizontal blueish lines are completely gone. The lighter vertical area has been corrected for the most part. During very dark scenes with all the lights out in the room, I can still see a hint of it. I'm not overly concerned with it but if it bothers me down the road, I'll have them check it out again. I have to say that the picture looks quite ridiculous now (in a good way). The voltage adjustment seems to have made a big impact in not just correcting the artifacts but improving the overall quality of the image.
post #5868 of 5878 Old 02-09-2014, 07:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 23
All HDMI inputs stopped working

Hi all - I purchased the PN63C8000 about 2.5 years ago from Best Buy with the full black tie extended warranty, which is still valid thru the end of this year.

Yesterday when we put the TV on the signal came in for a split second, then flash purple and then the TV said "No Signal - Check connected device's power, cable connection, and source selection." I did check that of course and all that was fine.

To troubleshoot this I tried moving the HDMI cable from HDMI 1 - 4 and switching inputs and had the same problem on each input. I also tried using my Blu-ray player as a source, just in case something happened to the cable box, but still no picture and same error on the TV. As a last step, I plugged my Chromecast into each of the 4 HDMI ports and switched the TV to each input and still had the same issue. I believe this eliminates all sources and cables (especially since Chromecast doesn't even use a cable) as a possible issue, leaving only the TV as the problem. The TV menus all display fine and the built-in beach picture in diagnostics plays without issue. I also tried unplugging the set for a little while to see if a full power cycle could solve it but it didn't help.

The Best Buy Geek Squad, who comes out for the BB black-tie extended warranty support, is coming early this week. I am covered for parts and labors on any repairs and eligible for a suitable replacement if it can't be fixed.

A few questions please:

1. Have I properly done the troubleshooting and is there anything else you can think to try?

2. Has anyone else experienced this problem on the TV?

3. Any idea if the necessary board(s) required to be replaced are available and are replaceable by the Geek Squad, or if for this type of issue they are likely to just offer a replacement?

4. Does anyone know which replacement brands/models Best Buy will offer for this unit? I see there is a Samsung 64" Plasma PN64F8500AFXZA with 600hz refresh. Would they consider this eligible as a replacement? I am VERY sensitive to flicker and now that in the past plasma has tended to use a slower refresh rate than other technologies. So as an added perk of the replacement I am wondering if the picture will appear more "stable" without flicker with this 600hz unit compared to mine (although no one else sees the flicker in the current unit, I can't help but notice it).
post #5869 of 5878 Old 03-09-2014, 10:33 AM

Hey Guys,

Well I spoke too soon. I think I got drunk the other night and started messing with some settings. Now it seems that on white screens I get some crazy plume or something. So I am now trying to find some calibration settings again.

I'm using C-Nets now but I'm looking for I think D-nice or Chad B settings.

Can anyone help?

Sammy PN63C8000

Onkyo TX-SR605

HR44-700

HP-T5064 Still going

post #5870 of 5878 Old 03-09-2014, 10:40 AM

Cnet's settings are very good. I've been using them from the beginning and haven't been disappointed. I think the only thing I did is boost the brightness, color and sharpness just a little, to taste.
post #5871 of 5878 Old 03-09-2014, 10:42 AM

Yea, but Im still seeing some issue. Actually after looking around some it may be red rash?

I only started seeing this when the Winter Olympics was on.

Sammy PN63C8000

Onkyo TX-SR605

HR44-700

HP-T5064 Still going

post #5872 of 5878 Old 03-09-2014, 11:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovingdvd View Post

All HDMI inputs stopped working

Hi all - I purchased the PN63C8000 about 2.5 years ago from Best Buy with the full black tie extended warranty, which is still valid thru the end of this year.

Yesterday when we put the TV on the signal came in for a split second, then flash purple and then the TV said "No Signal - Check connected device's power, cable connection, and source selection." I did check that of course and all that was fine.

To troubleshoot this I tried moving the HDMI cable from HDMI 1 - 4 and switching inputs and had the same problem on each input. I also tried using my Blu-ray player as a source, just in case something happened to the cable box, but still no picture and same error on the TV. As a last step, I plugged my Chromecast into each of the 4 HDMI ports and switched the TV to each input and still had the same issue. I believe this eliminates all sources and cables (especially since Chromecast doesn't even use a cable) as a possible issue, leaving only the TV as the problem. The TV menus all display fine and the built-in beach picture in diagnostics plays without issue. I also tried unplugging the set for a little while to see if a full power cycle could solve it but it didn't help.

The Best Buy Geek Squad, who comes out for the BB black-tie extended warranty support, is coming early this week. I am covered for parts and labors on any repairs and eligible for a suitable replacement if it can't be fixed.

A few questions please:

1. Have I properly done the troubleshooting and is there anything else you can think to try?

2. Has anyone else experienced this problem on the TV?

3. Any idea if the necessary board(s) required to be replaced are available and are replaceable by the Geek Squad, or if for this type of issue they are likely to just offer a replacement?

4. Does anyone know which replacement brands/models Best Buy will offer for this unit? I see there is a Samsung 64" Plasma PN64F8500AFXZA with 600hz refresh. Would they consider this eligible as a replacement? I am VERY sensitive to flicker and now that in the past plasma has tended to use a slower refresh rate than other technologies. So as an added perk of the replacement I am wondering if the picture will appear more "stable" without flicker with this 600hz unit compared to mine (although no one else sees the flicker in the current unit, I can't help but notice it).

Was a bit surprised to see no responses to the above. Anyway here's what happened in case this helps someone later...

Best Buy Geek Squad came out and immediately confirmed what I already knew - all HDMI inputs were not working. They ordered a replacement motherboard which has the HDMI inputs on it. After about a week the board came in and they swapped it out. Works fine now, although I had to redo all my settings and calibration. I have about 6 months left on the extended warranty so this worked out as there was no charge for parts and labor.
post #5873 of 5878 Old 03-09-2014, 11:48 AM

I use these....look pretty great on my set...when it isn't acting up.

http://reviews. Plasma tv buying guide . com/plasmatvreviews/samsung-c8000-calibration.html
post #5874 of 5878 Old 03-12-2014, 08:29 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
So looks like my TV finally has the issue that others have seen (horizontal banding). Thankfully I have a 4 year warranty so I should be covered. I have a tech coming out on Saturday to take a look. The issue only happens on lighter screens. I bought a nintendo wii u and all the menus the issue comes to life and its annoying. I can already envision the tech saying that its not a problem because its on menu screens. Maybe I am paranoid and they will acknowledge the issue. Anyways, I have read that others have had the issue on Hockey games so I am trying to get some hockey games to see if the issue is there, that way its indisputable. Any other content I can use as ammunition for repair/replacement?

Also my goal is to hopefully get a new TV. I don't want this fixed well knowing the TV is a ticking time bomb for having the issue again. Any experience with getting them to get me a replacement?

Thanks!!!
post #5875 of 5878 Old 03-19-2014, 06:12 PM

So after researching, I guess I have this pink banding issue. It just started that I can tell.

All white screen, any logo or picture in the middle of the screen and on the left or right you see a spot of purple / pink dots all over.

Sammy PN63C8000

Onkyo TX-SR605

HR44-700

HP-T5064 Still going

post #5876 of 5878 Old 05-28-2014, 08:28 AM

Best Buy determined that my Samsung needed a new panel due to the pink issue (and 3D glasses intermittently dropping out); no replacement panels are available so was able to use my nearly expired 4 year warranty to get a full refund on gift cards. 4K here I come cool.gif
post #5877 of 5878 Old 05-28-2014, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pantheman75 View Post

Best Buy determined that my Samsung needed a new panel due to the pink issue (and 3D glasses intermittently dropping out); no replacement panels are available so was able to use my nearly expired 4 year warranty to get a full refund on gift cards. 4K here I come cool.gif

If you can, you might wait for the 2014 Value Electronics shootout, last I heard it was end of June/early July timeframe. Sorta long to wait but if you can that should give you a pretty good idea what to spend those gift cards on...
post #5878 of 5878 Old 05-29-2014, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pantheman75 View Post

So when you say full refund, you mean the full amount that you paid 3 years ago!?

So I had the pink banding issue on my 2010 58" model about a year ago. I have the extended warranty and BB replaced the panel with no questions asked. So far so good on the new panel.

My BB extended warranty expires this November. It's sounding like I should renew that warranty when the times comes just in case that pink band issue comes back. But if there are no more panels, it sounds like I'll get a gift card, right?

You guys agree that renewing the extended warranty is a good idea?

Thanks.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung Pn50c8000 50 In 3d Hdtv Plasma Tv , Samsung Pn50c8000 50 Inch 1080p 3d Plasma Hdtv , Samsung Pn63c8000 63 Inch 1080p 3d Plasma Hdtv , Samsung Pn58c8000 58 Inch 1080p 3d Plasma Hdtv Black , Samsung Pn58c8000 58 3d Plasma Tv 16 9 Hdtv 1080p 58in Ws Plasma 1080p 3d Ready 600hz 4 Hdmi Ultra S
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page