*The Official Samsung PNxxC8000 Owner's Discussion Thread!! - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 5882 Old 05-21-2010, 08:40 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Couple questions...

Which mode do you guys use for normal HD channels? I'm using the default "Movie" settings with motion judder off.

I have "film mode" set to "Auto2" (the default).

Has anyone tried setting film mode to OFF for HD channels? I wonder what it affects or if it makes the picture any better?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 5882 Old 05-21-2010, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativityrules View Post

Quick update for those who pre-ordered from Abt:
It is confirmed that Samsung has delayed their shipment for the PN63C8000 model.
They are told 1st or 2nd week of June.
That translates to 3rd week of June for us to receive these babies.
Further, it translates to missing out most of the World Cup 2010 games in 3D (if you were waiting for this).
Who would pricematch Abt's price? I live in California and Abt isn't a "local" competitor.

What price did they give you? I am also in the market for a PN63c8000 and the best price I can find is $3419 no tax and free shipping.
post #33 of 5882 Old 05-21-2010, 09:21 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
I received my pn63c8000 today and unfortunately it buzzes. Very disappointing. My television is on a stand and sits about 2 ft away from the wall. I sit 9 ft away from the set on a couch. I can go back as far as 15 ft back and still hear the buzz pretty clearly. I also can hear it over normal volume. The only way I can drown out the buzz is to have my stereo on at an above average volume, even then during dialog I can hear the buzz. The weird thing is that the buzz isn't as bad when I get up close and listen to it. It's MUCH worse from a distance.

I tried plugging the television into other outlets in the house trying different inputs etc... None of that matters. The only thing I didn't try is to put the magnets on the power cord. I will give that a try but I doubt that will do anything.

The buzzing to me is unacceptable. I will be calling Best Buy to have them swap it out. Hopefully I have better luck next time
post #34 of 5882 Old 05-21-2010, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by terminaldawn View Post

I received my pn63c8000 today and unfortunately it buzzes. Very disappointing. My television is on a stand and sits about 2 ft away from the wall. I sit 9 ft away from the set on a couch. I can go back as far as 15 ft back and still hear the buzz pretty clearly. I also can hear it over normal volume. The only way I can drown out the buzz is to have my stereo on at an above average volume, even then during dialog I can hear the buzz. The weird thing is that the buzz isn't as bad when I get up close and listen to it. It's MUCH worse from a distance.

I tried plugging the television into other outlets in the house trying different inputs etc... None of that matters. The only thing I didn't try is to put the magnets on the power cord. I will give that a try but I doubt that will do anything.

The buzzing to me is unacceptable. I will be calling Best Buy to have them swap it out. Hopefully I have better luck next time

Well, my PN58C8000 also has a slight buzz/hum. Another person has gone through two PN58C8000's and also they have the same buzz.

Do you really think there is a PN58/63C8000 out there that doesn't buzz at all? I was told that a plasma of this size will indeed buzz. For me, the buzz is only really noticeable when you sit dead in front of the TV set. I've tried sitting to the left/right couches, and don't hear it. Also, if I lie down on the floor (I know, silly), I don't hear it either.

When I put my ear behind the top left of the TV, I can hear the same buzzing noise.

I wonder if some sort of sound dampening material would help here????
post #35 of 5882 Old 05-21-2010, 09:40 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryantiguan View Post

Couple questions...

Which mode do you guys use for normal HD channels? I'm using the default "Movie" settings with motion judder off.

I have "film mode" set to "Auto2" (the default).

Has anyone tried setting film mode to OFF for HD channels? I wonder what it affects or if it makes the picture any better?

I would leave it at auto-2 unless your sure your cable box has a better de-interlacer than the TV (which I would be very surprised if it did).
post #36 of 5882 Old 05-21-2010, 09:58 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:

I wonder if some sort of sound dampening material would help here????

I've tried a couple different things....didn't help. Here's what I've discovered, with my TV, could be different with others. The buzz seems to be coming from the front left side of the panel, not the rear. If it were from the rear, I could fix it, but I can't put anything in the front. My suggestion to people is, if possible, try to adjust the height of your TV. The buzz seems like it has a very small sound window....example, if I sit on my couch directly in front of the TV, the buzz is the worst. If I start to stand up, it completely goes away. Same thing, if I go down towards the floor, and also to the sides. I hope this can help.....
post #37 of 5882 Old 05-21-2010, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectronicTonic View Post

I've tried a couple different things....didn't help. Here's what I've discovered, with my TV, could be different with others. The buzz seems to be coming from the front left side of the panel, not the rear. If it were from the rear, I could fix it, but I can't put anything in the front. My suggestion to people is, if possible, try to adjust the height of your TV. The buzz seems like it has a very small sound window....example, if I sit on my couch directly in front of the TV, the buzz is the worst. If I start to stand up, it completely goes away. Same thing, if I go down towards the floor, and also to the sides. I hope this can help.....

Hmm, very interesting... does anyone know if the stand that comes with the PN58C8000 is able to be adjusted so that the TV sits up higher? I have mine on a TV stand...
post #38 of 5882 Old 05-21-2010, 10:13 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Hmm, very interesting... does anyone know if the stand that comes with the PN58C8000 is able to be adjusted so that the TV sits up higher? I have mine on a TV stand...

No, I don't think so. I think it only swivels.
post #39 of 5882 Old 05-21-2010, 10:16 AM

Quote:

No, I don't think so. I think it only swivels.

Ah, I see. So did you end up putting something under the stand to raise the elevation of the TV a little bit? Or is yours wall-mounted?
post #40 of 5882 Old 05-21-2010, 10:26 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Ah, I see. So did you end up putting something under the stand to raise the elevation of the TV a little bit? Or is yours wall-mounted?

No, it's still in the same place. I can tolerate the buzz on my set, all the ambient noise in my house drowns it out. If the noise was worse, I would try wall mounting, or get a higher stand. My stand only has the TV 16" off the ground. Just stack your TV on something to try it out, if it works, make a permanent solution. Keep us posted
post #41 of 5882 Old 05-21-2010, 10:36 AM

Quote:

No, it's still in the same place. I can tolerate the buzz on my set, all the ambient noise in my house drowns it out. If the noise was worse, I would try wall mounting, or get a higher stand. My stand only has the TV 16" off the ground. Just stack your TV on something to try it out, if it works, make a permanent solution. Keep us posted

The ambient noise in our place also drowns the buzz out (for the most part). Our TV is also about 16" off the ground. My wife doesn't want to move the TV any higher, and she claims to not hear any buzzing, so I think we will keep it where it is...
post #42 of 5882 Old 05-21-2010, 10:45 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

The ambient noise in our place also drowns the buzz out (for the most part). Our TV is also about 16" off the ground. My wife doesn't want to move the TV any higher, and she claims to not hear any buzzing, so I think we will keep it where it is...

Sounds like the clone of my situation! Is there an alternate universe??
post #43 of 5882 Old 05-21-2010, 10:51 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sound & Vision View Post

Just downloaded it to my iPhone. Thanks.

Cool! I have a Harmony One, but you can't beat free, and it has the on-screen keyboard...makes typing a lot faster.
post #44 of 5882 Old 05-21-2010, 11:19 AM

Funny.... I was in Best Buy 20 min. before they closed... the 63C8000 set was on its stand on top of a display table in their Magnolia room... you could hear a pin drop it was so quiet in there... but the only Plasma making any noise (and it was a buzzing hum) was last years PN58B850 across the room! The 63 was silent! How do I know? I walked over to the 58B and shut it off. The whole room was now silent... the 63C made no noise until I over drove it by raising the settings or placing it in *Dynamic*. Even then the noise (hum) was acceptable.

You guys are giving me some doubt! Maybe that's why Samsung is delaying their next shipment?

Everyone except BB is out of the product.
post #45 of 5882 Old 05-21-2010, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CappyDen View Post

Funny.... I was in Best Buy 20 min. before they closed... the 63C8000 set was on its stand on top of a display table in their Magnolia room... you could hear a pin drop it was so quiet in there... but the only Plasma making any noise (and it was a buzzing hum) was last years PN58B850 across the room! The 63 was silent! How do I know? I walked over to the 58B and shut it off. The whole room was now silent... the 63C made no noise until I over drove it by raising the settings or placing it in *Dynamic*. Even then the noise (hum) was acceptable.

You guys are giving me some doubt! Maybe that's why Samsung is delaying their next shipment?

What do you mean by "raising the settings" ? I am using Movie mode with the default settings (I think it's like 95 contrast, 13 or 14 cell, and 55 brightness).

I tried lowering the brightness a lot / contrast but still hear the hum/buzz.
post #46 of 5882 Old 05-21-2010, 11:22 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CappyDen View Post

basically .. some buzz some don't . some are loud when it does and some are quite. Really hope mine that come on monday does not buzz, or at least is quite where it doesn't matter
post #47 of 5882 Old 05-21-2010, 11:30 AM

Has anyone used a cantilever bracket for their 63c8000? If so, which one? I was looking at MMS's LAM50.

http://www.mountsmadesimple.com/prod...ms%20lam50.htm
post #48 of 5882 Old 05-21-2010, 01:01 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Quote:

I am kind of getting used to the buzzing, but I am still going to attempt to exchange it to get a better one as I believe that there are people without buzzers. I am not going to drop over 3k on a television that annoys me. On a more positive note I am LOVING the picture quality of this set. I haven't made any modifications other than setting it on Movie mode and turning MJC off. Blacks hold up FANTASTIC during day-time viewing. The set does GREAT with reflections. Very impressed with the color just on Movie mode. I did notice banding on the set when using my Mac Mini. Those are my initial impressions for now. Oh NO IR to speak of that I can see. So in all in all I am pretty happy with the set, it's a shame it buzzes.
post #49 of 5882 Old 05-21-2010, 01:05 PM

Quote:

I am kind of getting used to the buzzing, but I am still going to attempt to exchange it to get a better one as I believe that there are people without buzzers. I am not going to drop over 3k on a television that annoys me. On a more positive note I am LOVING the picture quality of this set. I haven't made any modifications other than setting it on Movie mode and turning MJC off. Blacks hold up FANTASTIC during day-time viewing. The set does GREAT with reflections. Very impressed with the color just on Movie mode. I did notice banding on the set when using my Mac Mini. Those are my initial impressions for now. Oh NO IR to speak of that I can see. So in all in all I am pretty happy with the set, it's a shame it buzzes.

Is your buzz very center/directional? Have you tried mounting the TV on the wall to see if that helps? I'm starting to think that some people just can't hear the buzz, because my wife surely can't.
post #50 of 5882 Old 05-21-2010, 01:12 PM

I am one of the lucky ones...I haven't heard any buzzing. When i run slides, it is quiet like a church in my man cave.
post #51 of 5882 Old 05-21-2010, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dostera View Post

I am one of the lucky ones...I haven't heard any buzzing. When i run slides, it is quiet like a church in my man cave.

Do you have the TV mounted on the wall? Is the TV mounted a little high?
post #52 of 5882 Old 05-21-2010, 01:17 PM

Liked: 11
I think the Comcast box should be set to output 1080i, not 720p.
post #53 of 5882 Old 05-21-2010, 01:55 PM

Quote:

Mine buzzed for the first couple of days (not too loudly) and it has pretty much gone away. It's there still but you really have to listen for it. I don't see how a screen that thin and that large wouldn't buzz to some degree.
post #54 of 5882 Old 05-21-2010, 03:33 PM
Advanced Member

Can anyone comment on the black level and if the CinemaSmooth option works correctly? Thanks!
post #55 of 5882 Old 05-21-2010, 03:54 PM

Quote:

I received my pn63c8000 today and unfortunately it buzzes. Very disappointing. My television is on a stand and sits about 2 ft away from the wall. I sit 9 ft away from the set on a couch. I can go back as far as 15 ft back and still hear the buzz pretty clearly. I also can hear it over normal volume. The only way I can drown out the buzz is to have my stereo on at an above average volume, even then during dialog I can hear the buzz. The weird thing is that the buzz isn't as bad when I get up close and listen to it. It’s MUCH worse from a distance.

Hate to break it to you, but the buzzing on the 58 and 63 inch models is normal to an extent. I have swapped 2 panels before having several experts explain that for a panel of that size, the buzzing is normal. It is the capacitors and electrical charge firing the plasma.

It was slightly noticeable in the first 20 hours, but is very very minimal now.
post #56 of 5882 Old 05-21-2010, 04:33 PM

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I just want to thanks most of the people that post on here. Great information can be had. After reading thru the Onkyo 608 owners thread I picked one up from ABT at a killer price. Now the same can be said about the PN63C8000! I placed my pre-order today for the TV, Blu Ray player, sample pack & 4yr warranty. I read everything here and I'm pretty confident I will love my purchase and I suggest others asking display related questions do the same. I do have a quick question though....

As far as the bumblebee sound goes....do you guys(who hear it) have anything else in your HT setup that makes noise? I have a 'Fat' PS3 that I got on launch day and when that thing heats up the fan is LOUDDD...not to mention my 360(JTAG'd with fan speed set to 100%) and my HTPC. Unless the TV is broken I have a feeling the reports of buzzing are greatly exaggerated...If anyone can elaborate I'd appreciate it. Now I'm off to check out the new PNxxC8000 thread & the settings threads. Thanks again everyone! Don't forget to check out invincible tiger, avatar and batman arkham asylum GOTY for some decent 3D console gaming!
post #57 of 5882 Old 05-21-2010, 05:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 41
My PN63C8000 arrived last Wednesday (May 12th). It arrived on the same day I went on vacation so I only had time to set it on a stand and do a firmware update. No buzzing at all. I'll be hooking it up to my new Onkyo 608 and Samsungs 3D BD player this evening. Sorry to hear about the buzzing others are getting and hope there is a fix for you in the makings.
post #58 of 5882 Old 05-21-2010, 06:10 PM

Quote:

Do you have the TV mounted on the wall? Is the TV mounted a little high?

its funny my tv didnt have any buzz at all until i mounted it. now it has a very slight buzz. nothing i can't live with tho. I really dont notice it unless its really quiet in the room and the volume is off.
post #59 of 5882 Old 05-21-2010, 06:16 PM

unfortunately i got a buzzer.....non-3D content the buzz is equivalent to b650 plasma that I had earlier....again dead center about 10ft away...if you stand near to the display hear buzz from top right corner....but when i switch to 3D mode buzz increases for a short period.....not sure if i have to exchange for a new one...
PQ: SD/HD/blu ray/3D everything looks excellent..also absolutely no IR....i think in terms of PQ its better than b650 ..... IR it is much better than b650 as I have seen some IR issues with that model last year....glare is slightly better than b650...and looks great...

I have a worldTV satellite dish...while watching SD channels I am seeing horizontal lines or bandings (not sure if its the right technical term) ...i am using composite cable..i know it is stupid to use composite...but the box has only composite and s-video......can any one tell me how i can avoid this? if there is any setting i can turn off.....i basically turned off all processing features (edge enhancement, noise filters, etc)...but still see this issue
LL
post #60 of 5882 Old 05-21-2010, 07:29 PM
Advanced Member

can anyone tell me how the c8000 compares with b860 in terms of blacks, overall PQ and usefulness in a not so dim room?
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung Pn50c8000 50 In 3d Hdtv Plasma Tv , Samsung Pn50c8000 50 Inch 1080p 3d Plasma Hdtv , Samsung Pn63c8000 63 Inch 1080p 3d Plasma Hdtv , Samsung Pn58c8000 58 Inch 1080p 3d Plasma Hdtv Black , Samsung Pn58c8000 58 3d Plasma Tv 16 9 Hdtv 1080p 58in Ws Plasma 1080p 3d Ready 600hz 4 Hdmi Ultra S
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page