*The Official Samsung PNxxC8000 Owner's Discussion Thread!! - Page 22 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #631 of 5887 Old 06-13-2010, 11:13 AM
Advanced Member
 
ElectronicTonic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Ventura, CA
Posts: 961
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by iwanthdnow View Post

I just got the 58c8000 Bluray player 3d kit and Direct tv installed today.

I am amazed......

I was not very sure about my purchase, because LED looked better at the store.(light wise, but there was too much pixelation, and motion distortion)

The Plasma in the store had a very dark image, and although I played with the settings it never pleased me 100%.

But I am amazed on how the TV actually looks like here at home.

I tried the 3d monster vs alien movies and it really great. At the store the Panasonic looked better, but here, I must say that the image is wonderful.

I also tried Netflix, and they have an HD mode and I almost sh... my pants...I did not thing it would look so good.

I will watch the next game in 3d now. I will try to record it using the DVR to record the 3d signal to see if it works....

COuld you please help me with the settings and the break in steps. It is my first plasma TV so I am not sure how to do it 100%.

I would appreciate any help.

Do you have to use the attached power cord magnets? what are they for?.

By the way. No buzz and latest firmware.

If you have no buzz, and the picture looks good, don't worry about installing the cord magnets.
ElectronicTonic is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #632 of 5887 Old 06-13-2010, 11:20 AM
AVS Special Member
 
almostinsane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 4,027
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 24
There are no break in steps. Just turn it on and watch it.
almostinsane is offline  
post #633 of 5887 Old 06-13-2010, 11:29 AM
Senior Member
 
skooba's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: St Augustine, FL
Posts: 329
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm uploading a video right now to youtube of my tv to try and let people witness the buzzing. On my computer, I can hear it, hopefully it's just as easily heard on the youtube video. The video is taking a while to upload, but I'll post a link when it's done.
skooba is offline  
post #634 of 5887 Old 06-13-2010, 12:28 PM
Newbie
 
droppeddasoap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by droppeddasoap View Post

Interesting, to my eyes the difference in black level was obvious but I trust your opinion more than my own... I will have to re-check my source material as well as check out the Panny again after I spend more time with the 8000. I am using Mantisboxer's settings FWIW.

I watched Alice in Wonderland on Blu-Ray last night and it looked amazing; absolutely stunning in fact. I did notice better black levels when going from movie mode back to Cal-Night, seems quite odd that this isnt fixed yet.

My girlfriend rented Changling which I wasnt too thrilled about until I got to witness all the dark scenes in this movie...great for observing black level and shadow detail. The Samsung performed very well. I am pleased with my purchase.
droppeddasoap is offline  
post #635 of 5887 Old 06-13-2010, 01:42 PM
Senior Member
 
skooba's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: St Augustine, FL
Posts: 329
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
well here's the video, it's not as noticeable on youtube as it is in person, but its still evident. let me know what you guys think. The microphone is picking up some other background noise which is making it hard to hear.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o1H2FmQY16M
skooba is offline  
post #636 of 5887 Old 06-13-2010, 02:50 PM
Member
 
Glomby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 31
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
The Blacklevel Bug (red and blue dots) is still annoying but I think this has something to do with the C6900 Blu Ray Player, because when I try playing a Blu-Ray in 24p with my PS3 the PQ is nice, no dots at all.

The C6900 produces this terrible picture with blue/red dots all over the screen but sometimes it also plays without any problems. The BD C6900 seems to have a lot of Bugs, because it also disables the 24p mode after turning it off and on but sometimes it remembers it.

And I think the buzzing is louder now but perhaps this is because the TV is 24h a day active for break-in.
Glomby is offline  
post #637 of 5887 Old 06-13-2010, 03:02 PM
Senior Member
 
ryantiguan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 247
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
What's the general feeling about cinema smooth mode for blu-Ray discs? I can't tell if it helps or hurts when I switch it on/off during a blu-Ray.
ryantiguan is offline  
post #638 of 5887 Old 06-13-2010, 03:05 PM
Member
 
Glomby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 31
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryantiguan View Post

What's the general feeling about cinema smooth mode for blu-Ray discs? I can't tell if it helps or hurts when I switch it on/off during a blu-Ray.

Turn it on. Cinema smooth is great and has nothing to do with the creepy MJC
Glomby is offline  
post #639 of 5887 Old 06-13-2010, 03:30 PM
Senior Member
 
ryantiguan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 247
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glomby View Post

Turn it on. Cinema smooth is great and has nothing to do with the creepy MJC

Sounds good. I'll keep it on.

I wonder if it helps with the motion blur / out-of-focus effect I'm experiencing along with some others in the Settings thread for camera pan scenes.
ryantiguan is offline  
post #640 of 5887 Old 06-13-2010, 05:11 PM
Member
 
funkyman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 198
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Does anyone know when we are getting SKYPE on the Sasmung applications
funkyman is offline  
post #641 of 5887 Old 06-13-2010, 05:14 PM
Senior Member
 
ryantiguan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 247
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by funkyman View Post

Does anyone know when we are getting SKYPE on the Sasmung applications

It looks like it may never come for the Plasma sets... it's already available for the LEDs. :-(
ryantiguan is offline  
post #642 of 5887 Old 06-13-2010, 07:11 PM
Member
 
CappyDen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 95
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Okay... one more time... who knows of someone with a list of calibrated settings for the C8000?
CappyDen is offline  
post #643 of 5887 Old 06-13-2010, 07:14 PM
Senior Member
 
ryantiguan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 247
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by CappyDen View Post

Okay... one more time... who knows of someone with a list of calibrated settings for the C8000?

1) Search the thread for Sound & Vision's settings for his PN63C8000.
2) Look at Mantis' settings thread - others have been using these settings for their 8000 series sets.
ryantiguan is offline  
post #644 of 5887 Old 06-13-2010, 07:15 PM
Member
 
creativityrules's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 37
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've got a 63" C8000 Plasma and I experienced some ghosting (crosstalk) during the ESPN 3D World Cup match (Germany vs Australia). I noted several observations:
1. Not all things are out of sync. Objects closer to the screen vs objects further away from the screen would vary depending on how I adjust the 3D view parameter (-5 to 5). During the game the best view was -1 or 0 whereas during commercials it would change anywhere between -5 to 5 to eliminate ghosting. Even with the adjustment some objects from the screen would still have ghosting. For example, when the big Gillette blade was spinning around the handle part had ghosting and the blade part didn't. When I adjust the 3D view parameters it would improve the handle part but it would create ghosting on the blade part. It's a bit annoying that this is happening and I'm curious if other folks who have Panasonic sets are experiencing this. I'm suspecting that it may be the TV or from the network.
2. I paused a scene where ghosting occurs and it stays like that, so it isn't due to phosphor lag. I'm suspecting that the sync of the glasses to the PDP refresh rate is slightly out of sync. Btw, I'm using the battery powered glasses and I'm wondering if the rechargeable ones causes this problem, too? It's possible that the glasses have some kind of lag even though the sync signals match.

FYI, I watched mine through Directv channel 106.
I want to get to the bottom of this because It's bothering me.
Also, I'm using a high speed HDMI 1.3 cable to the PIO receiver (VSX920K) and HDMI 1.4 cable to the TV.
creativityrules is offline  
post #645 of 5887 Old 06-13-2010, 07:23 PM
Senior Member
 
ryantiguan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 247
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by creativityrules View Post

I've got a 63" C8000 Plasma and I experienced some ghosting (crosstalk) during the ESPN 3D World Cup match (Germany vs Australia). I noted several observations:
1. Not all things are out of sync. Objects closer to the screen vs objects further away from the screen would vary depending on how I adjust the 3D view parameter (-5 to 5). During the game the best view was -1 or 0 whereas during commercials it would change anywhere between -5 to 5 to eliminate ghosting. Even with the adjustment some objects from the screen would still have ghosting. For example, when the big Gillette blade was spinning around the handle part had ghosting and the blade part didn't. When I adjust the 3D view parameters it would improve the handle part but it would create ghosting on the blade part. It's a bit annoying that this is happening and I'm curious if other folks who have Panasonic sets are experiencing this. I'm suspecting that it may be the TV or from the network.
2. I paused a scene where ghosting occurs and it stays like that, so it isn't due to phosphor lag. I'm suspecting that the sync of the glasses to the PDP refresh rate is slightly out of sync. Btw, I'm using the battery powered glasses and I'm wondering if the rechargeable ones causes this problem, too? It's possible that the glasses have some kind of lag even though the sync signals match.

FYI, I watched mine through Directv channel 106.
I want to get to the bottom of this because It's bothering me.
Also, I'm using a high speed HDMI 1.3 cable to the PIO receiver (VSX920K) and HDMI 1.4 cable to the TV.

I vaguely remember reading somewhere that the rechargeable glasses exhibited less problems/ghosting, but I could have completely made this up while I was sleeping. I think I read it on an amazon.com review for the Samsung blu-ray player or maybe one of the 3D TV sets.

I would love for someone to confirm this.
ryantiguan is offline  
post #646 of 5887 Old 06-13-2010, 07:39 PM
Advanced Member
 
Tony6225's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 619
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glomby View Post

The Blacklevel Bug (red and blue dots) is still annoying but I think this has something to do with the C6900 Blu Ray Player, because when I try playing a Blu-Ray in 24p with my PS3 the PQ is nice, no dots at all.

The C6900 produces this terrible picture with blue/red dots all over the screen but sometimes it also plays without any problems. The BD C6900 seems to have a lot of Bugs, because it also disables the 24p mode after turning it off and on but sometimes it remembers it.

And I think the buzzing is louder now but perhaps this is because the TV is 24h a day active for break-in.

That break in is absolutely unnecessary. Enjoy your tv and stop worrying about burn in.
Tony6225 is offline  
post #647 of 5887 Old 06-13-2010, 09:44 PM
Senior Member
 
socwrkr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Posts: 475
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Glad to say I got the lip sync issues taken care of through my receiver. Thanks for the input from everyone.

I wanted to ask about one more thing. In watching blurays (i don't watch much else), i've noticed that the background is often a bit out of focus while the foreground images are sharp. I have Cinema Smooth on.. any chance this is causing it?
socwrkr is offline  
post #648 of 5887 Old 06-14-2010, 03:29 AM
Advanced Member
 
DoctorO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 740
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 16
On the third try, with the help of extra padding in the package, got an uncrushed, working C8000 from Crutchfield. And yes maybe it was the Lou Reed concert in 1986, but I hear very little buzzing, and in fact it is less than the hum from the CRT it is replacing.
DoctorO is offline  
post #649 of 5887 Old 06-14-2010, 04:04 AM
Member
 
Glomby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 31
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by creativityrules View Post

2. I paused a scene where ghosting occurs and it stays like that, so it isn't due to phosphor lag. I'm suspecting that the sync of the glasses to the PDP refresh rate is slightly out of sync. Btw, I'm using the battery powered glasses and I'm wondering if the rechargeable ones causes this problem, too? It's possible that the glasses have some kind of lag even though the sync signals match.

First of all, you can't really pause a 3D image because your TV still switches between the two images for your right and left eye. So the Problem with crosstalk is always present. For me this is a big issue which can destroy the 3D effect for some scenes.

Hopefully it's just a problem of the syncronisation between the tv and the glasses (because a new firmware could fix it) but when it's the tv this will never go away. If it's the TV I'm thinking of buying the Panasonic instead.

You can try to shoot a picture with ultra fast shutterspeed and check if its the panel or not. I will try this today or maybe later.
Glomby is offline  
post #650 of 5887 Old 06-14-2010, 04:22 AM
 
bicker1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Burlington, MA
Posts: 8,289
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony6225 View Post

That break in is absolutely unnecessary. Enjoy your tv and stop worrying about burn in.

So that's two votes for not breaking in the set. Anyone else care to put in a vote?
bicker1 is offline  
post #651 of 5887 Old 06-14-2010, 04:42 AM
Moderator
 
PooperScooper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Leominster MA
Posts: 19,879
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 151
Break-in is a natural consequence of watching the panel while it is displaying content. There's no need for rituals or anything else. Calibrate it and then maybe recheck after 100 hours or so. The only minute advantage of running the panel constantly for hours is to stress the electronics so that marginal parts may fail quickly. Some warranties or dealers have a window where you can get a replacement vs service/parts if failure is in a short time after purchase. And the best way to do this is to put up a while screen and crank contrast all the way up.

larry

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. -- Thomas Alva Edison
PooperScooper is offline  
post #652 of 5887 Old 06-14-2010, 05:36 AM
Member
 
CappyDen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 95
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by PooperScooper View Post

Break-in is a natural consequence of watching the panel while it is displaying content. There's no need for rituals or anything else. Calibrate it and then maybe recheck after 100 hours or so. The only minute advantage of running the panel constantly for hours is to stress the electronics so that marginal parts may fail quickly. Some warranties or dealers have a window where you can get a replacement vs service/parts if failure is in a short time after purchase. And the best way to do this is to put up a while screen and crank contrast all the way up.

larry

So what are you driving at? Are you saying that performing a *break-in* with slides etc... is a waste of time and effort with todays new plasma sets?
CappyDen is offline  
post #653 of 5887 Old 06-14-2010, 06:37 AM
Senior Member
 
ryantiguan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 247
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by CappyDen View Post

So what are you driving at? Are you saying that performing a *break-in* with slides etc... is a waste of time and effort with todays new plasma sets?

I remember reading recently in the Samsung plasma FAQ section on their web site that break-in isn't necessary. The owner's guide doesn't even mention it.
ryantiguan is offline  
post #654 of 5887 Old 06-14-2010, 06:49 AM
Senior Member
 
Erickson00's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 335
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryantiguan View Post

I remember reading recently in the Samsung plasma FAQ section on their web site that break-in isn't necessary. The owner's guide doesn't even mention it.

What does it hurt to do it? Is it really so difficult to run the slides when you're at work, sleeping, or in between what you normally watch? It doesn't hurt anything, so why not do it? If it's 99% likely that break-in isn't necessary, you still could say that it's worth the 5 minutes to download break-in slides and run them, because 1%, although a small percentage, is still a percentage. The fact that Samsung claims it isn't necessary is meaningless to me...why would a plasma manufacturer want to state that it's necessary and scare uninitiated consumers away from these sets? I'm not a gambling man, and since it took so little effort to run the slides, I did it. I have peace of mind.
Erickson00 is offline  
post #655 of 5887 Old 06-14-2010, 07:43 AM
AVS Special Member
 
almostinsane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 4,027
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 24
It's a waste of power.
almostinsane is offline  
post #656 of 5887 Old 06-14-2010, 08:43 AM
Member
 
machine__head_'s Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 35
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by almostinsane View Post

It's a waste of power.

Agreed.
machine__head_ is offline  
post #657 of 5887 Old 06-14-2010, 09:28 AM
 
bicker1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Burlington, MA
Posts: 8,289
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
And I don't like leaving switched on, while I'm not home, a piece of equipment that has in its manual significant warning about allowing enough room around the device for heat dissipation.
Quote:


Keep the required distances between the product and other objects (e.g. walls) to ensure proper ventilation.

bicker1 is offline  
post #658 of 5887 Old 06-14-2010, 11:17 AM
Advanced Member
 
terminaldawn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Milwaukee
Posts: 706
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by skooba View Post

My parents came by today to watch the USA vs England soccer game. I muted the tv and asked them if they could hear the buzz. I had them stand in all of the spots where I could hear it and they could not hear anything. It's making me believe that some people just can't hear the high frequency noise I (and others) am hearing. My girlfriend can hear it, but not over the speakers and she thinks its not an issue at all.
My parents are in their mid 50s, so maybe they're hearing has just gone a little with age. I'm 27 and can hear it.

For people that have this tv, can you answer if you can hear the buzz and how old you are?


I am 32. I can hear the buzz. In fact I have personally seen 5 of these sets now in person and all 5 have buzzed. I have yet to come across a non-buzzer. My belief is that they ALL buzz; it’s just whether or not you can hear that particular range OR you are not sitting in the BUZZ Zone.

Also I have both the ferrite cores installed correctly according to the manual. In addition I am running through an APC UPS so the power should be clean.
terminaldawn is offline  
post #659 of 5887 Old 06-14-2010, 11:21 AM
Senior Member
 
skooba's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: St Augustine, FL
Posts: 329
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by terminaldawn View Post

I am 32. I can hear the buzz. In fact I have personally seen 5 of these sets now in person and all 5 have buzzed. I have yet to come across a non-buzzer. My belief is that they ALL buzz; it's just whether or not you can hear that particular range OR you are not sitting in the BUZZ Zone.

Also I have both the ferrite cores installed correctly according to the manual. In addition I am running through an APC UPS so the power should be clean.

That's pretty much what I'm thinking, but a few users have claimed they are able to hear a buzzing sound, but not on their specific tvs.
skooba is offline  
post #660 of 5887 Old 06-14-2010, 12:04 PM
Member
 
Glomby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 31
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by skooba View Post

That's pretty much what I'm thinking, but a few users have claimed they are able to hear a buzzing sound, but not on their specific tvs.

I can hear the buzzing sound through my 6.2 Soundsystem when ARC (Audio return Channel with HDMI 1.4) Mode is active, e.g. when a slideshow is running. When my AV-Receiver gets the sound from the Blu-Ray Player, the buzzing comes just from the TV.
Glomby is offline  
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung Pn50c8000 50 In 3d Hdtv Plasma Tv , Samsung Pn50c8000 50 Inch 1080p 3d Plasma Hdtv , Samsung Pn63c8000 63 Inch 1080p 3d Plasma Hdtv , Samsung Pn58c8000 58 Inch 1080p 3d Plasma Hdtv Black , Samsung Pn58c8000 58 3d Plasma Tv 16 9 Hdtv 1080p 58in Ws Plasma 1080p 3d Ready 600hz 4 Hdmi Ultra S
Gear in this thread

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off