*The Official Samsung PNxxC8000 Owner's Discussion Thread!! - Page 25 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #721 of 5878 Old 06-18-2010, 12:48 PM
Member
 
1stsamdude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 177
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stsamdude View Post

I may have mispoke here. I have not seen yet (Since I have yet to get a undamaged set) if I can pass the 3D signal through my A/V yet. I would think so though since I am not allowing my Reciever to do any Processing of the video signal. Will have to post back if and when I finally get my replacemnet in here. Sorry if I have indeed spoke wrong info.
Jeff

Originally Posted by 1stsamdude
It can. As long as you have a 1.3 capable A/V then that is what you want to do. Run everything from your sources to the A/V inputs ,then one cable from the HDMI out on A/V to HDMI in (which ever input you want on tv, normaly 1 or 2) and this alows you A/V Reciever to be the switch. All audio is controlled by the A/V. I have the Marantz SR8002 an I just set upscale for video to off (pass through). Perfect Set-up in my mind.


Turns out that after finnaly recieving a working PN58C8000 that you do not need any special HDMI cable other that just plane ole HIGH Speed 10.3GB or faster HDMI cable to be able to enjoy 3D with this tv when hooking to a AVR with just regular ole HDMI V1.3a. This is all my Marantz SR8002 A/V has and I am running all sources into it's HDMI inputs and then I run one cable to tv input 1 and have enjoyed all 3D content and Audio to be output to my surround Speakers with no issues. I have also trested my PS3 IN blu-ray movie and have all audio (DTS HD Master Audio and Dolby True ) and so on is all working just fine with this configuratiuon. Less mess with one cable from A/V to tv and all sources running to A/V inputs. Someone claimed that this is not possible with 3D to work but it is and I just wanted to post it for those of you who may have been duped in to thinking you need to by special cable's or even need to run seperate audio for sound. No you dont.

1'stsamdude
1stsamdude is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #722 of 5878 Old 06-18-2010, 03:41 PM
Advanced Member
 
ElectronicTonic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Ventura, CA
Posts: 940
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 58
My question is.....
Is it okay to put the wall mount brackets directly on the back of the TV, does it scratch up the back??

This is how I have mine mounted now, does this add too much stress on the bolts/TV frame?? There are these hard plastic spacers between the TV frame and brackets, the bolts screw all the way in. This is the order: Bolt / Washer / Bracket / Plastic spacer / TV Frame.

[IMG][/IMG]
ElectronicTonic is offline  
post #723 of 5878 Old 06-18-2010, 04:05 PM
Member
 
FGEvans's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 53
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Are these buzzing problems exclusive to the states then. i took delivery of my UK ps63c7000 today (its the same set as your C80t00),

its absolutely silent - even the fan in my satelite box is loader than the TV.

one thing that no one has really discussed is the 2d- 3d covertor - i am surprised that samsung is not pushing this feature further in its advertising.

i have found that the convertor is brilliant - in the uk the world cup is not yet available in true 3d = however the convertor is very impressive , to me this feature puts the samsung in a whole league above the panny sets
FGEvans is offline  
post #724 of 5878 Old 06-18-2010, 04:10 PM
Member
 
creativityrules's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 37
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Does anyone have issues with their PN63C8000 model in 3D mode?
I have awful ghosting in high contrast scenes. I'm using the battery powered glasses and with the updated 1021.1 firmware.
When watching the world cup on ESPN 3D I would often see double image in certain dark scenes and especially during the commercials. For example during "This is SportsCenter" commercial I can see double image all over the scene. I also see terrible ghosting in the Gillette commercial.
I'm starting to wonder if anyone else is affected by this? All I hear is how good the 3D has been since the firmware update but I don't notice it.
Also, those that went from a Sammy to a Panny do you notice any drastic improvements in the 3D experience?

I'm seriously considering going from a PN63C8000 to a TCP58V25 even if the screen size is a downgrade.

Also I get directional buzzing when I watch it at dead center location. It's a refrigerator hum that penetrates other sound frequency.
creativityrules is offline  
post #725 of 5878 Old 06-18-2010, 04:11 PM
Senior Member
 
skooba's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: St Augustine, FL
Posts: 329
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by FGEvans View Post

Are these buzzing problems exclusive to the states then. i took delivery of my UK ps63c7000 today (its the same set as your C80t00),

its absolutely silent - even the fan in my satelite box is loader than the TV.

you might just not be able to hear it. my parents couldn't hear it even while right up next to it, but they could hear the fans of other components. it's a fairly high pitched noise, so not everyone can hear it (consider yourself lucky if you can't).
skooba is offline  
post #726 of 5878 Old 06-18-2010, 04:49 PM
Member
 
1stsamdude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 177
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by creativityrules View Post

Does anyone have issues with their PN63C8000 model in 3D mode?
I have awful ghosting in high contrast scenes. I'm using the battery powered glasses and with the updated 1021.1 firmware.
When watching the world cup on ESPN 3D I would often see double image in certain dark scenes and especially during the commercials. For example during "This is SportsCenter" commercial I can see double image all over the scene. I also see terrible ghosting in the Gillette commercial.
I'm starting to wonder if anyone else is affected by this? All I hear is how good the 3D has been since the firmware update but I don't notice it.
Also, those that went from a Sammy to a Panny do you notice any drastic improvements in the 3D experience?

I'm seriously considering going from a PN63C8000 to a TCP58V25 even if the screen size is a downgrade.

Also I get directional buzzing when I watch it at dead center location. It's a refrigerator hum that penetrates other sound frequency.

3d on my set is fantastic. I am not experiencing any ghosting or having the rise in buzz issue I see others post about. My set is very quiet rather in 3d or not. 2d to 3d conversion is also working great. I am running firmware 1020 and have decided not to try the 1021 since I am having no issues. I hope you all get it figured out but I wouldnd't doubt if these later built sets are arriving with some of the bugs already worked out maybe. Might be best to buy a little after a new product is first out. I know first hand that the very firsst set that Samsung sent to me as replacement for my bad 58 860 model certainly had a terrible buzz and now this newer set has none.

1'stsamdude
1stsamdude is offline  
post #727 of 5878 Old 06-18-2010, 11:36 PM
Senior Member
 
Sammie2980's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 249
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stsamdude View Post

Originally Posted by 1stsamdude
It can. As long as you have a 1.3 capable A/V then that is what you want to do. Run everything from your sources to the A/V inputs ,then one cable from the HDMI out on A/V to HDMI in (which ever input you want on tv, normaly 1 or 2) and this alows you A/V Reciever to be the switch. All audio is controlled by the A/V. I have the Marantz SR8002 an I just set upscale for video to off (pass through). Perfect Set-up in my mind.


Turns out that after finnaly recieving a working PN58C8000 that you do not need any special HDMI cable other that just plane ole HIGH Speed 10.3GB or faster HDMI cable to be able to enjoy 3D with this tv when hooking to a AVR with just regular ole HDMI V1.3a. This is all my Marantz SR8002 A/V has and I am running all sources into it's HDMI inputs and then I run one cable to tv input 1 and have enjoyed all 3D content and Audio to be output to my surround Speakers with no issues. I have also trested my PS3 IN blu-ray movie and have all audio (DTS HD Master Audio and Dolby True ) and so on is all working just fine with this configuratiuon. Less mess with one cable from A/V to tv and all sources running to A/V inputs. Someone claimed that this is not possible with 3D to work but it is and I just wanted to post it for those of you who may have been duped in to thinking you need to by special cable's or even need to run seperate audio for sound. No you dont.

Jeff

This is good to know. Have you tested this with the 3D sammy blu ray player also?

So basically as long as it's a pass through and you run it to the AVR > Display you will get full 7.1 etc, and 3D?

LivingRoom: 65ZT60 / Oppo BDP93 / Pioneer Elite SC35 / REL T7 / HDP2500 / Def Tech Mythos Ones x 4, Eight, 2x Gem XL
Bedroom: 65VT30 / BDT320 / Apple TV
Office: KRP-500M
Sammie2980 is online now  
post #728 of 5878 Old 06-19-2010, 07:56 AM
Newbie
 
scott_g's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: RTP, NC
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
will
scott_g is offline  
post #729 of 5878 Old 06-19-2010, 07:57 AM
Newbie
 
scott_g's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: RTP, NC
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Give answer below
scott_g is offline  
post #730 of 5878 Old 06-19-2010, 07:57 AM
Newbie
 
scott_g's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: RTP, NC
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChldsPlay View Post

I ordered this TV yesterday, and today I ordered an ultra slim mount from monoprice. Does anyone know the proper size screws to attach the mount to the TV? I had heard the ones with the mount are too long? Samsung's manual is slightly confusing about the VESA standards and this TV (I'm sure to promote purchase of their mounts).

I used this mount from monoprice:
http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2


Worked fine on my 63"
I did have to remove a screw on each side that holds the back panel and used a different size bolt for the VESA mount.
scott_g is offline  
post #731 of 5878 Old 06-19-2010, 08:09 AM
Senior Member
 
socwrkr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Posts: 475
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott_g View Post

I used this mount from monoprice:
http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2


Worked fine on my 63"
I did have to remove a screw on each side that holds the back panel and used a different size bolt for the VESA mount.

I'm not sure how that answered his question about the bolt sizes?

You need to use M8 16mm bolts. I couldn't find any phillips head in that size which is what Monoprice gives but if you can't find those then you can use the hex heads instead. This mount will fit our tv's just fine.
socwrkr is offline  
post #732 of 5878 Old 06-19-2010, 08:14 AM
Senior Member
 
socwrkr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Posts: 475
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Has anyone gotten their 8000 calibrated yet? Just wondering how it looked after this?

Also, can anyone confirm that Cinema Smooth is for 96hz or do I need to change a setting on the tv when watching 24p playback?

Thanks!
socwrkr is offline  
post #733 of 5878 Old 06-19-2010, 08:17 AM
Senior Member
 
skooba's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: St Augustine, FL
Posts: 329
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott_g View Post

I used this mount from monoprice:
http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2


Worked fine on my 63"
I did have to remove a screw on each side that holds the back panel and used a different size bolt for the VESA mount.

could you post some pics of your mount? both head on and from the side, i'd love to see it. thanks!
skooba is offline  
post #734 of 5878 Old 06-19-2010, 08:18 AM
Senior Member
 
socwrkr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Posts: 475
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Ok, one more question. When I'm watching a movie in Standard mode (which use the most) and it has the black bars, if you look closely you can see that the black bars are filled with green pixels. When I switch to another setting (movie, dynamic, etc), the bars go back to completely black? Any idea on how to fix this?
Sorry if this has already been covered.
thanks
socwrkr is offline  
post #735 of 5878 Old 06-19-2010, 08:27 AM
Member
 
1stsamdude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 177
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammie2980 View Post

This is good to know. Have you tested this with the 3D sammy blu ray player also?

So basically as long as it's a pass through and you run it to the AVR > Display you will get full 7.1 etc, and 3D?

I do through my PS3 . I have not tried it on any other players since I have the PS3 60GB Model. I know that I am getting all discreet audio signals as well as video with one high speed HDMI 1.3a cable from Marantz SR8002 A/V Receiver with all sources running through my A/V/R. Hope this helps. I have no issues with 3D Signal being passsed from my Directv HR23 DVR Through my A/V/R Then on to my HDMI Input 1 on my tv PN58C8000.

1'stsamdude
1stsamdude is offline  
post #736 of 5878 Old 06-19-2010, 08:40 AM
Senior Member
 
skooba's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: St Augustine, FL
Posts: 329
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by socwrkr View Post

Ok, one more question. When I'm watching a movie in Standard mode (which use the most) and it has the black bars, if you look closely you can see that the black bars are filled with green pixels. When I switch to another setting (movie, dynamic, etc), the bars go back to completely black? Any idea on how to fix this?
Sorry if this has already been covered.
thanks

lower the brightness.

or, just dont sit 2 feet away from your tv
skooba is offline  
post #737 of 5878 Old 06-19-2010, 08:45 AM
Senior Member
 
socwrkr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Posts: 475
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by skooba View Post

lower the brightness.

or, just dont sit 2 feet away from your tv

I'll try the brightness. Haha, i sit about 13 feet away but happened to notice when i walked past it.
socwrkr is offline  
post #738 of 5878 Old 06-19-2010, 09:04 AM
Advanced Member
 
ElectronicTonic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Ventura, CA
Posts: 940
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by skooba View Post

lower the brightness.

or, just dont sit 2 feet away from your tv

If that doesn't work, I noticed that when I would switch inputs it would happen. Then I just left it in "Movie" mode, and it wouldn't get the "noise" when I switched inputs. Also, like you were saying if you switch between picture modes it will fix it, but if you don't want to do that. Just calibrate it in "Movie" mode, and leave it. I hope they fix this soon, it's annoying.
ElectronicTonic is offline  
post #739 of 5878 Old 06-19-2010, 11:01 AM
Member
 
CappyDen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 95
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Okay I've been reading these posts and I have a few things to say.

1) To the guy that has spacers between his set and the wall mounting bracket, TAKE THEM OFF but make sure not to use the same size screw. The sequence is: Screw, lock washer, flat washer, bracket, TV. (If you have a 58" or 63" set and you are using a wall mount, remember to remove the small black screws that are around the mounting points so that the bracket can lay flush against the back of the set. All these screws do is help secure the rear cover panel. Once the brackets are on, they'll do a better job of holding on the rear panel than those tiny screws.) You can use a thin strip of black vinyl tape along the surface of the set or better yet, on the bracket surface if you don't wish any scratches on your TV.

2) Buzzing sets do appear to be a USA issue. It's starting to look as if it has something to do with transforming our 120Voltage system as apposed to Europe's 220V system to power up those plasma cells, or possibly old wiring in ones home, fl. lights & ballast proximity to the set or on the same line, and/or stress during shipping. (Invest in a line filter, it may help.)

3) However, our USA 63" C8000 set is PERFECT without as much as a PEEP. I have it suspended (floating) in mid air within a well ventilated opening (it's huge this opening) within the wall of the family room... our Dish Network HD DVR makes more noise than my fridge. (POS it is.)

4) For some reason, Mantis' calibrations didn't totally work for me but I'm glad he posted them, they were a great starting point. My crew and I have been tweeking his settings for the last few hours and we're almost there. We're now using the same color analyzer as he but we're coming up with different settings. First off, this Plasma is good, but not as good as some earlier Sammy's IMO, and by far not as pure as our old and now sadly kaput KURO. This Sammy (at least my set) has a tough time producing pure clean whites, and smooth even blacks. (My guys are telling me it's the new 3D video processor.... it can't/doesn't produce super deep blacks.)

5) A word of caution. On the larger sets (58-63) the base is held on and mounted to this 85lb set with only a few super small & wimpy screws.... we couldn't believe it... !

6) Although the 3D processing is great and all, it defeats the true value of 1080p in my opinion.... it makes the image we cinematographers work so hard to produce a little too soft for my taste.... unless perfected, a fading fad I hope.
CappyDen is offline  
post #740 of 5878 Old 06-19-2010, 11:16 AM
Advanced Member
 
ElectronicTonic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Ventura, CA
Posts: 940
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by CappyDen View Post

Okay I've been reading these posts and I have a few things to say.

1) To the guy that has spacers between his set and the wall mounting bracket, TAKE THEM OFF but make sure not to use the same size screw. The sequence is: Screw, lock washer, flat washer, bracket, TV. (If you have a 58" or 63" set and you are using a wall mount, remember to remove the small black screws that are around the mounting points so that the bracket can lay flush against the back of the set. All these screws do is help secure the rear cover panel. Once the brackets are on, they'll do a better job of holding on the rear panel than those tiny screws.) You can use a thin strip of black vinyl tape along the surface of the set or better yet, on the bracket surface if you don't wish any scratches on your TV.

Thanks,
I already switched it, I also had the right size screws. I was just real careful while attaching the brackets to the TV, not to scratch it. Looks better and is more solid.
ElectronicTonic is offline  
post #741 of 5878 Old 06-19-2010, 11:42 AM
Senior Member
 
ryantiguan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 247
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by CappyDen View Post

Okay I've been reading these posts and I have a few things to say.

1) To the guy that has spacers between his set and the wall mounting bracket, TAKE THEM OFF but make sure not to use the same size screw. The sequence is: Screw, lock washer, flat washer, bracket, TV. (If you have a 58" or 63" set and you are using a wall mount, remember to remove the small black screws that are around the mounting points so that the bracket can lay flush against the back of the set. All these screws do is help secure the rear cover panel. Once the brackets are on, they'll do a better job of holding on the rear panel than those tiny screws.) You can use a thin strip of black vinyl tape along the surface of the set or better yet, on the bracket surface if you don't wish any scratches on your TV.

2) Buzzing sets do appear to be a USA issue. It's starting to look as if it has something to do with transforming our 120Voltage system as apposed to Europe's 220V system to power up those plasma cells, or possibly old wiring in ones home, fl. lights & ballast proximity to the set or on the same line, and/or stress during shipping. (Invest in a line filter, it may help.)

3) However, our USA 63" C8000 set is PERFECT without as much as a PEEP. I have it suspended (floating) in mid air within a well ventilated opening (it's huge this opening) within the wall of the family room... our Dish Network HD DVR makes more noise than my fridge. (POS it is.)

4) For some reason, Mantis' calibrations didn't totally work for me but I'm glad he posted them, they were a great starting point. My crew and I have been tweeking his settings for the last few hours and we're almost there. We're now using the same color analyzer as he but we're coming up with different settings. First off, this Plasma is good, but not as good as some earlier Sammy's IMO, and by far not as pure as our old and now sadly kaput KURO. This Sammy (at least my set) has a tough time producing pure clean whites, and smooth even blacks. (My guys are telling me it's the new 3D video processor.... it can't/doesn't produce super deep blacks.)

5) A word of caution. On the larger sets (58-63) the base is held on and mounted to this 85lb set with only a few super small & wimpy screws.... we couldn't believe it... !

6) Although the 3D processing is great and all, it defeats the true value of 1080p in my opinion.... it makes the image we cinematographers work so hard to produce a little too soft for my taste.... unless perfected, a fading fad I hope.

How do you feel about the motion processing with this set? Do you notice any motion blur our jagged image when the camera pans?
ryantiguan is offline  
post #742 of 5878 Old 06-19-2010, 11:42 AM
Member
 
Topless Stang's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 91
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I finally had time to start setting stuff up. I count my self as kinda fortunate to have a 'non-buzzer'. I set up everything(rebuilt HTPC & new receiver/speakers) and all that's left is to tack down my wires & try to manage my wiring a little better. My TV is mounted to my stand and in the beginning it did buzz. However after 180hrs of break in the buzz it gone. I used the slides for about 100 hrs and the rest of the time was watching TV with the settings turned down. Durng that time I watched a couple world cup games and a couple movies in 2D to 3D mode, so it wasn't babied the whole time. In the beginning it did buzz whether it was in it's temp spot on the floor with it's OEM stand or in it's final resting place. The buzz was very directional and sounded like a very persistent bee. It was heard from up to 20ft away! However about 1/2 thru break in it got substantially less and about 3/4 thru break in it was gone. After break in I put in Mantis' settings and I am in LOVE with the picture!! I've never had even a hint of IR or burn in either. Here are a couple pics of my meager setup. Thanks AVS!!









Topless Stang is offline  
post #743 of 5878 Old 06-19-2010, 03:49 PM
Advanced Member
 
ferl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Illinois
Posts: 683
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by skooba View Post

you might just not be able to hear it. my parents couldn't hear it even while right up next to it, but they could hear the fans of other components. it's a fairly high pitched noise, so not everyone can hear it (consider yourself lucky if you can't).

If a tree falls in the forest and no one is there to hear it, does it make a sound?

If a plasma is buzzing and no one can hear it, is it really buzzing?

I must be deaf and blind. Prior to delivery I read the posts about buzzing and black levels and fretted over the decision I made to buy this TV. That was big mistake on my part. I worried for nothing. Hard as I tried to hear this buzz I cannot. I thought I was just one of lucky ones and now realize that this device buzzes even though no one can hear it I tried to watch a movie sitting 6 inches from the screen and at various angles and still couldn't hear the buzz. As a suggestion to anyone else, don't sit that close as you really can't see the whole screen and you miss much of the movie. I've tried different settings as posted by forum members to improve the quality of the picture and found that useless. I read that the black level sucks and that the blacks are actually green, grey or navy blue.
I shouldn't have wasted my money on a color TV as I must be color blind. Black looks black and all the other colors appear to look correct also. Granted some of the default picture settings look bad, but set the mode on "movie", turn off the motion judder and the thing looks great.

If anyone is interested in purchasing this display, I would suggest they stop reading all the horror stories, buy the thing and enjoy.

ferl is offline  
post #744 of 5878 Old 06-19-2010, 04:52 PM
Senior Member
 
skooba's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: St Augustine, FL
Posts: 329
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferl View Post

If a tree falls in the forest and no one is there to hear it, does it make a sound?

If a plasma is buzzing and no one can hear it, is it really buzzing?

I'm not trying to argue at all, I'm just pointing out my experiences with the TV. If you can't hear it, you're lucky. Either your TV doesn't buzz, or you just can't hear it. Either way, I envy you. I've decided I'm just going to mount mine above eye level and not worry about it, that way I won't hear it either (unless the Samsung tech says it's defective).

The purpose of this thread is to educate and inform people on potential issues. I agree that some of them are over the top, but the buzzing is definitely there to some people. I don't care that I don't have the darkest blacks, or motion looks odd at times, etc. But I do care that the buzz is always there on quiet scenes when I'm sitting directly in front of the TV 15 feet away. My parents think I'm crazy, and so does my girlfriend, but I've had people over who claim it would bother them a little bit too.
skooba is offline  
post #745 of 5878 Old 06-19-2010, 05:14 PM
Member
 
1stsamdude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 177
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferl View Post

If a tree falls in the forest and no one is there to hear it, does it make a sound?

If a plasma is buzzing and no one can hear it, is it really buzzing?

I must be deaf and blind. Prior to delivery I read the posts about buzzing and black levels and fretted over the decision I made to buy this TV. That was big mistake on my part. I worried for nothing. Hard as I tried to hear this buzz I cannot. I thought I was just one of lucky ones and now realize that this device buzzes even though no one can hear it I tried to watch a movie sitting 6 inches from the screen and at various angles and still couldn't hear the buzz. As a suggestion to anyone else, don't sit that close as you really can't see the whole screen and you miss much of the movie. I've tried different settings as posted by forum members to improve the quality of the picture and found that useless. I read that the black level sucks and that the blacks are actually green, grey or navy blue.
I shouldn't have wasted my money on a color TV as I must be color blind. Black looks black and all the other colors appear to look correct also. Granted some of the default picture settings look bad, but set the mode on "movie", turn off the motion judder and the thing looks great.

If anyone is interested in purchasing this display, I would suggest they stop reading all the horror stories, buy the thing and enjoy.

This statement is summing it all up in a nutshell. Mine too looks great and is having none of the annoying Bee's Hiving within it. I have not properly calibrated yet as I may as well at-least put a few dozen or so hours and be sure it doesn't experience a catastrophic failure first. LOL! When I do get around to calibration I'll be using CalMAN4 Enthusiast, i1Pro Enhanced, Chroma 5 Enahanced, and the DPG-1200 Video Generator. While I certainly do not think one should ever be convinced that my settings will be the exact match for there set, I will post my results just for comparison. Now if one wants to take it upon their-self to use those settings is fine with me but I certainly would think your own calibration is more appropriate as each panel will display it's own characteristics. I too find the Movie Setting to be the most naturalistic setting the TV offers. Just my opinions. I do believe that some early versions may have had an issue with the Bee's Hiving whithin them as I to had to turn down an earlier version before getting this Church mouse. As I have stated earlier in a post, I would if withing my return period and had an annoying buzzer that I would send it back so fast the Retailers head would spin. This is not a cheap investment. Once you get a set that is right you will be very glad you did!!!!!

1'stsamdude
1stsamdude is offline  
post #746 of 5878 Old 06-19-2010, 05:35 PM
Member
 
1stsamdude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 177
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by socwrkr View Post

I'll try the brightness. Haha, i sit about 13 feet away but happened to notice when i walked past it.

Originally Posted by skooba
lower the brightness.

or, just dont sit 2 feet away from your tv


Don't walk past it either

I just couldn't resist. LOL
I hope it is nothing serious.
1stsamdude is offline  
post #747 of 5878 Old 06-19-2010, 08:20 PM
Senior Member
 
skooba's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: St Augustine, FL
Posts: 329
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stsamdude View Post

This statement is summing it all up in a nutshell. Mine too looks great and is having none of the annoying Bee's Hiving within it. I have not properly calibrated yet as I may as well at-least put a few dozen or so hours and be sure it doesn't experience a catastrophic failure first. LOL! When I do get around to calibration I'll be using CalMAN4 Enthusiast, i1Pro Enhanced, Chroma 5 Enahanced, and the DPG-1200 Video Generator. While I certainly do not think one should ever be convinced that my settings will be the exact match for there set, I will post my results just for comparison. Now if one wants to take it upon their-self to use those settings is fine with me but I certainly would think your own calibration is more appropriate as each panel will display it's own characteristics. I too find the Movie Setting to be the most naturalistic setting the TV offers. Just my opinions. I do believe that some early versions may have had an issue with the Bee's Hiving whithin them as I to had to turn down an earlier version before getting this Church mouse. As I have stated earlier in a post, I would if withing my return period and had an annoying buzzer that I would send it back so fast the Retailers head would spin. This is not a cheap investment. Once you get a set that is right you will be very glad you did!!!!!

1'stsamdude

have you personally heard a c8000 buzzing?
skooba is offline  
post #748 of 5878 Old 06-19-2010, 08:43 PM
Advanced Member
 
terminaldawn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Milwaukee
Posts: 706
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
For all those that dont have a buzzing Samsung. Congratu-frickin-lations. But dont talk smack about those that have a buzzing unit. Like Skooba said. Either you dont have a buzzing set or cant hear it. If you had one that buzzed like me and others you would most likely be a little upset. Personally I am moving on and buying something else as I have had 2 buzzers and have visited other stores that also had buzzing sets. I would have taken another chance on a third set but I have yet to find a Samsung Plasma in my area that doesnt buzz. Not a huge deal. I read all the talk about buzz before I purchased therefore I was warned. I took the chance anyways in hopes that the claims of buzzing were exaggerated. Unfortunately they are not. What are the chances of all 5 Samsung C8000 that I have come across buzz??? Honestly I am glad I did buy the Samsung and heard the buzzing first hand. Now I know without a doubt that its a real issue. I dont hold any hard feelings toward Samsung. In fact I most likely will be purchasing a LCD or LED Samsung to replace the plasma. Besides the buzzing, and below average black levels for a plasma its a good TV and I am happy for those that enjoy it.
terminaldawn is offline  
post #749 of 5878 Old 06-19-2010, 09:13 PM
Member
 
christberg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 73
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
... It's official: MvsA isn't the only 3D movie available... and it was clearly rushed to market.

I just brought home Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs and it exhibits very, very little crosstalk or ghosting. Super impressive! If you aren't looking for it you probably won't notice.

Makes me happy and generally hopeful for future releases, provided somebody gets off their arse and makes it happen.
christberg is offline  
post #750 of 5878 Old 06-19-2010, 09:19 PM
Senior Member
 
ryantiguan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 247
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by christberg View Post

... It's official: MvsA isn't the only 3D movie available... and it was clearly rushed to market.

I just brought home Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs and it exhibits very, very little crosstalk or ghosting. Super impressive! If you aren't looking for it you probably won't notice.

Makes me happy and generally hopeful for future releases, provided somebody gets off their arse and makes it happen.

Great news!!! Where did you pick up a copy of the 3d bluray? I thought it would only be available at the Sony style stores starting Monday?
ryantiguan is offline  
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung Pn50c8000 50 In 3d Hdtv Plasma Tv , Samsung Pn50c8000 50 Inch 1080p 3d Plasma Hdtv , Samsung Pn63c8000 63 Inch 1080p 3d Plasma Hdtv , Samsung Pn58c8000 58 Inch 1080p 3d Plasma Hdtv Black , Samsung Pn58c8000 58 3d Plasma Tv 16 9 Hdtv 1080p 58in Ws Plasma 1080p 3d Ready 600hz 4 Hdmi Ultra S
Gear in this thread

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off