*The Official Samsung PNxxC8000 Owner's Discussion Thread!! - Page 3 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #61 of 5878 Old 05-21-2010, 08:22 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Hey everybody. I just preordered my pn63c8000 from ABT, so now I'm trying to figure out how I will mount it. At first I was thinking wallmount...but now I'm thinking of getting a stand with a built in mount until I go from renter to home owner. I just want something stable due to my adventurous cat. How did you guys set up your TVs? Who has good deals on mounting stands/mounts?

Would a stand made for a screen up to 60" fit?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 5878 Old 05-22-2010, 03:40 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by dandaroy View Post

Can anyone comment on the black level and if the CinemaSmooth option works correctly? Thanks!

CinemaSmooth works great! They must have updated the chipset.. There is no brightness change.. AVATAR looks stunning.. The panning is super smooth.. Zero motion artifacts.

http://www.abload.de/img/cinema-smooth-24p235l.jpg
post #63 of 5878 Old 05-22-2010, 09:17 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryantiguan View Post

Is your buzz very center/directional? Have you tried mounting the TV on the wall to see if that helps? I'm starting to think that some people just can't hear the buzz, because my wife surely can't.

You would have to be deaf not to hear the buzz on my set. Its most predominant from the center of the screen at distances. If I mounted the television above viewing height I probably wouldn't hear the buzz. I can stand up right next to the TV and barely hear a buzz. But if I put my ear down in the middle of the screen I hear the buzz. Its definitely a directional buzz. I just hope that ALL the sets aren't like this because I cant live with it. It ruins quiet scenes in movies. Also the buzzing gets worse during dark scenes which is weird because I have always heard the buzzing gets worse when there is a white screen. I am not being overly picky with it. I watch TV and movies with a reasonable volume (not too loud but not quiet either). If there is a scene with no music and just dialog I hear a buzz. My wife who is about the least picky person in the world, and especially when it comes to audio and video can hear the buzz and is annoyed with it.
post #64 of 5878 Old 05-22-2010, 09:25 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dostera View Post

I am one of the lucky ones...I haven't heard any buzzing. When i run slides, it is quiet like a church in my man cave.

That is good news. Do you have your television on a stand? I have mine on a stand and I can hear a directional buzz from the center. The buzzing is super bad specially on a predominantly black screen? Can you go about 6 - ft away dead center of the screen with all black and see if you set buzzes?

Thanks!
post #65 of 5878 Old 05-22-2010, 09:28 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by torontodude View Post

Mine buzzed for the first couple of days (not too loudly) and it has pretty much gone away. It's there still but you really have to listen for it. I don't see how a screen that thin and that large wouldn't buzz to some degree.

I figured that it would have a very mild hum to it. But my set has a pretty aggressive buzz. I have to say it seems to have improved a bit since yesterday. I am running break in slides when not watching it to see if after break in the set quiets down a bit.
post #66 of 5878 Old 05-22-2010, 09:32 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by harris613 View Post

Hate to break it to you, but the buzzing on the 58 and 63 inch models is normal to an extent. I have swapped 2 panels before having several experts explain that for a panel of that size, the buzzing is normal. It is the capacitors and electrical charge firing the plasma.

It was slightly noticeable in the first 20 hours, but is very very minimal now.

Can you hear the buzz on your set over dialog in scenes with just dialog and no music?

I think there are different levels of buzz. I kind of expected a mild hum, and that it wouldn't be a big deal, but I am experiencing an obnoxious buzz.

All the sets I saw in the store didn't have this buzz to them at all. So I believe there are non-buzzers out there.

I cant imagine the average joe consumer EVER putting up with this. As my wife who is a non tech person thinks the set is obviously defective.
post #67 of 5878 Old 05-22-2010, 09:36 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topless Stang View Post

I just want to thanks most of the people that post on here. Great information can be had. After reading thru the Onkyo 608 owners thread I picked one up from ABT at a killer price. Now the same can be said about the PN63C8000! I placed my pre-order today for the TV, Blu Ray player, sample pack & 4yr warranty. I read everything here and I'm pretty confident I will love my purchase and I suggest others asking display related questions do the same. I do have a quick question though....

As far as the bumblebee sound goes....do you guys(who hear it) have anything else in your HT setup that makes noise? I have a 'Fat' PS3 that I got on launch day and when that thing heats up the fan is LOUDDD...not to mention my 360(JTAG'd with fan speed set to 100%) and my HTPC. Unless the TV is broken I have a feeling the reports of buzzing are greatly exaggerated...If anyone can elaborate I'd appreciate it. Now I'm off to check out the new PNxxC8000 thread & the settings threads. Thanks again everyone! Don't forget to check out invincible tiger, avatar and batman arkham asylum GOTY for some decent 3D console gaming!

I have a loud 360 and fat ps3. The buzzing that I hear is louder than both of those devices. Reason being the ps3 and 360 is more of a white noise. The buzzing on my set cuts right through the fan noise and can easily (without TRYING to listen for it) hear the buzzing over those devices.

I am hoping that I just got a defective set. I can live with some buzzing. But mine is pretty aggressive.
post #68 of 5878 Old 05-22-2010, 09:38 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbug View Post

My PN63C8000 arrived last Wednesday (May 12th). It arrived on the same day I went on vacation so I only had time to set it on a stand and do a firmware update. No buzzing at all. I'll be hooking it up to my new Onkyo 608 and Samsungs 3D BD player this evening. Sorry to hear about the buzzing others are getting and hope there is a fix for you in the makings.

Thanks for the update. Is your set mounted so that you sit center to the set or are you sitting above or below where the television is mounted?
post #69 of 5878 Old 05-22-2010, 09:48 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CappyDen View Post

Funny.... I was in Best Buy 20 min. before they closed... the 63C8000 set was on its stand on top of a display table in their Magnolia room... you could hear a pin drop it was so quiet in there... but the only Plasma making any noise (and it was a buzzing hum) was last years PN58B850 across the room! The 63 was silent! How do I know? I walked over to the 58B and shut it off. The whole room was now silent... the 63C made no noise until I over drove it by raising the settings or placing it in *Dynamic*. Even then the noise (hum) was acceptable.

You guys are giving me some doubt! Maybe that's why Samsung is delaying their next shipment?

Everyone except BB is out of the product.

my pn63c8000 buzzes unfortunately. Was the set mounted above or below Eye level?

Reason I ask, I can stand up right next to my set and hear no buzz. However I sit 9 ft away from mine on couch (i have my set on a stand) and can hear the buzz.

I am just looking for hope that there are non-buzzers out there and people just aren't noticing the buzz due to their particular mounting position of the set.
post #70 of 5878 Old 05-22-2010, 11:25 AM

Liked: 10
Has anyone done any input lag testing with your TV?
post #71 of 5878 Old 05-22-2010, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalipu View Post

unfortunately i got a buzzer.....non-3D content the buzz is equivalent to b650 plasma that I had earlier....again dead center about 10ft away...if you stand near to the display hear buzz from top right corner....but when i switch to 3D mode buzz increases for a short period.....not sure if i have to exchange for a new one...
PQ: SD/HD/blu ray/3D everything looks excellent..also absolutely no IR....i think in terms of PQ its better than b650 ..... IR it is much better than b650 as I have seen some IR issues with that model last year....glare is slightly better than b650...and looks great...

I have a worldTV satellite dish...while watching SD channels I am seeing horizontal lines or bandings (not sure if its the right technical term) ...i am using composite cable..i know it is stupid to use composite...but the box has only composite and s-video......can any one tell me how i can avoid this? if there is any setting i can turn off.....i basically turned off all processing features (edge enhancement, noise filters, etc)...but still see this issue

Update:

I fixed the horizontal banding issue with composite signal...i had coaxial cable thru a filter in philips surge protector and that was creating this issue......not sure but feels like buzzing feels to be a normal plasma buzz now....so planning to monitor it for 10-20 days and take a decision...3D PQ looks awesome....but has only standard or movie picture mode available in 3D...i was not aware of it....also watched 2d to 3d conversion after adjusting depth to 10 (default 5) ...looks great....also watched AVATAR 3D trailer downloaded thru USB port....works flawlessly....overall I am very happy with the set...planning to call comcast/direct tv.....ESPN 3D will broadcast fifa world cup in 3D next month....
post #72 of 5878 Old 05-22-2010, 04:49 PM

I was in a store today getting to check out a 58c8000 watching batman returns and transformers on blu-ray, with the lights in the showroom off and quite a ways from any windows the blacks seemed to have a little bit of green cast to them. Does anyone see this on their sets or is it just me, (i do need to get to the optometrist)? Do the blacks look good in a dark environment? I remember Chad B commenting about this in his review for the c7000, if the blacks do have a green cast is this something that could be fixed by a calibration? I plan to pull the trigger on a 63c8000 as soon as this store I was in gets a shipment of them so any thoughts would be appreciated.
Thanks

(oh and I did set the tv to cal-day and punched in the settings that were posted in the C8000 settings thread, which helped)
post #73 of 5878 Old 05-22-2010, 07:00 PM

So I got my 58c8000 today, it's my first plasma ever, but uhh the buzzing is kinda insane on mine. I sit like 10-12 feet back from the set, and I can still hear it even over normal audio out of my surround system. I'm reading on these forums that's normal for sets that large, but then I see other people say they have no buzzing at all. Should I be worried or should I break it in for a week and see if it lessens (I know it'll never go away 100%).

Also, what are these "break in slides" I hear people talking about? And how do you use them? Thanks!
post #74 of 5878 Old 05-22-2010, 07:17 PM

Liked: 11
I ordered mine yesterday from ABT. They stated that they have 20 units coming in on June 14th. They had 25 orders at the time I ordered and so mine and some others may have to wait even longer for their next Samsung shipment.
post #75 of 5878 Old 05-22-2010, 07:30 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingfan191 View Post

So I got my 58c8000 today, it's my first plasma ever, but uhh the buzzing is kinda insane on mine. I sit like 10-12 feet back from the set, and I can still hear it even over normal audio out of my surround system. I'm reading on these forums that's normal for sets that large, but then I see other people say they have no buzzing at all. Should I be worried or should I break it in for a week and see if it lessens (I know it'll never go away 100%).

Also, what are these "break in slides" I hear people talking about? And how do you use them? Thanks!

I recommend using your Xbox or PS3 to play music on repeat, then choose an intense visualization. On the xbox press Y for full screen. Get ready for the light show.
post #76 of 5878 Old 05-22-2010, 07:50 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 26
If you have the Samsung 6900 BD player with a wireless connection to a router & 1.4 hdmi with ethernet connection to the c8000, do you still need a LAN cable for internet features of the TV?

Just found this on the monoprice site;
• The HDMI Ethernet Channel
1.4 introduces a new HDMI Ethernet channel. This new feature further delivers on HDMI promise to reduce cable clutter between your devices. As more and more devices become "connected" devices, taking advantage of features like streaming video over YouTube and NetFlix, rather than buying a new router and stringing Ethernet cables to each of these devices, your television can act as a type of router connecting to the internet through a single Ethernet connection and distributing connectivity to each of your other devices through the same HDMI cable that's transmitting video and audio content.

post #77 of 5878 Old 05-22-2010, 07:52 PM

Are you guys finding that the Samsung 3d bd player is a good way to go or is the panasonic still considered a superior player?
post #78 of 5878 Old 05-22-2010, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by terminaldawn View Post

my pn63c8000 buzzes unfortunately. Was the set mounted above or below Eye level?

Reason I ask, I can stand up right next to my set and hear no buzz. However I sit 9 ft away from mine on couch (i have my set on a stand) and can hear the buzz.

I am just looking for hope that there are non-buzzers out there and people just aren't noticing the buzz due to their particular mounting position of the set.

The set was on its stand about 2.5-3 feet off the floor on an AV table with the BR player below. When I turned off last years Sam/B series set, the Magnolia room (filled only with plasmas) went quiet. No other set, no Pans, LG's, along with the new *C* series Sam's were making noise. Volume levels were all down to zero. I sat approx. 6-8 feet away on a small foot stool, eye level with the center of the screen.... NO BUZZ, NO HUM, no nothing.

My 63C8000 is on back order.... all these reports of buzzing is making me nervous.... should I abort?
post #79 of 5878 Old 05-22-2010, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhinoballz View Post

I recommend using your Xbox or PS3 to play music on repeat, then choose an intense visualization. On the xbox press Y for full screen. Get ready for the light show.

I found those "break in slides" and put them on a USB stick and have my tv in slideshow mode. Anyone know how long it should be displaying them for?
post #80 of 5878 Old 05-22-2010, 09:06 PM
Advanced Member

Backorders, delays, and an overall lack of stock at many stores.

Has anyone heard something official from Samsung explaining why supply is quite scarce? Are they pushing supply to Europe for World Cup demand? (I know kinda lame speculation on my part, but my patience is all but gone)

Hate to whine, but I've yet to see ANY of the 2010 slim plasmas (6500, 7000, 8000) on display in ANY store in the NYC area.

The Panasonic VT25 is listed in this weeks BB ad, so I think i'm going to check those out at least.
post #81 of 5878 Old 05-22-2010, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CappyDen View Post

The set was on its stand about 2.5-3 feet off the floor on an AV table with the BR player below. When I turned off last years Sam/B series set, the Magnolia room (filled only with plasmas) went quiet. No other set, no Pans, LG's, along with the new *C* series Sam's were making noise. Volume levels were all down to zero. I sat approx. 6-8 feet away on a small foot stool, eye level with the center of the screen.... NO BUZZ, NO HUM, no nothing.

My 63C8000 is on back order.... all these reports of buzzing is making me nervous.... should I abort?

i would not abort. I love my 63c8000 so far, awsome tv.
post #82 of 5878 Old 05-23-2010, 12:11 AM

Hey guys so I set up my PN58C8000 today and watched Ninja Assassin with a few buddies (720p file through 360). The TV looked great. I was very happy with the blacks and the picture was very clear. But as queer as this sounds. The picture was bit too clear. It looked like the movie was a poorly filmed documentary.... or something like that. Does anyone know what I am talking about or am I just going crazy?
post #83 of 5878 Old 05-23-2010, 01:01 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by indy1298 View Post

Hey guys so I set up my PN58C8000 today and watched Ninja Assassin with a few buddies (720p file through 360). The TV looked great. I was very happy with the blacks and the picture was very clear. But as queer as this sounds. The picture was bit too clear. It looked like the movie was a poorly filmed documentary.... or something like that. Does anyone know what I am talking about or am I just going crazy?

Go to the menu, select "picture options", select "motion judder canceller", select "off". This should solve what you are describing, hope it helps.
post #84 of 5878 Old 05-23-2010, 05:15 AM

Just a thought...since I don't have mine yet, BUT maybe we should start a different thread or augment this one to include setup information, TV Manuf site & Installation type(wall mount, stand, etc). I'm thinking that maybe we can use it to correlate what type of sets and what type of mounting position may contribute to or increase buzzing. Thoughts?

Also, I picked up a stand for a great price. I found it for much cheaper than listed elsewhere. PM me if you want details. I was going to wall mount my TV when it gets here...but I grew to like the "floating" look instead, plus if I change my mind the mount is detachable.

http://www.z-linedesigns.com/product...n-Mount-System

post #85 of 5878 Old 05-23-2010, 07:07 AM

I have a PN58C8000. I upgraded to the latest firmware using the internet option since the TV is connected to my network.

Ever since I did that my settings will not stick, in that every time I turn on the tv it asks me to go through the initial setup routine of picking a menu language, choosing home use vs. store demo, etc. None of my other settings will stick either.

Suffice it to say this is beyond annoying.

Anyone have any ideas of how to fix that?

Thanks in advance.
post #86 of 5878 Old 05-23-2010, 07:59 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by socwrkr View Post

Are you guys finding that the Samsung 3d bd player is a good way to go or is the panasonic still considered a superior player?

I had the panasonic 350 3D player when I had my TC-P54VT25.. If a was a good match up and a good player.. When I exchanged it for the PN58C8000 I also exchanged out the player to the samsung 6900. The samsung is super fast loading. It has a see through drive cover with blue night effect graphics that can be turned off. Very cool! The upconversion was great on Star Wars plus.... I use BD Wise which optimizes the two samsung products. If your going with the samsung TV.. Go with the samsung player! You'll be glad that you did.
post #87 of 5878 Old 05-23-2010, 08:55 AM

Thanks for the info Sound and Vision. My number one concern with the Samsung is that it doesnt have two hdmi ports and I have a newer hdmi switching receiver that won't support 1.4. I'm not willing to give up HD Audio on the blurays. If anyone knows a work around for this, please let me know.
Thanks
post #88 of 5878 Old 05-23-2010, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thm655321 View Post

I have a PN58C8000. I upgraded to the latest firmware using the internet option since the TV is connected to my network.

Ever since I did that my settings will not stick, in that every time I turn on the tv it asks me to go through the initial setup routine of picking a menu language, choosing home use vs. store demo, etc. None of my other settings will stick either.

Suffice it to say this is beyond annoying.

Anyone have any ideas of how to fix that?

Thanks in advance.

I had the same issue with my PN50C8000. You just need to reset your TV. With the TV on, hold down the EXIT button on your remote for 10 seconds, until you get a confirmation message asking you if you want to reset your TV. Once you OK the reset, you should only have to complete your setup one more time. I hope this helps.
post #89 of 5878 Old 05-23-2010, 09:44 AM

Quote:

Thanks for the info Sound and Vision. My number one concern with the Samsung is that it doesnt have two hdmi ports and I have a newer hdmi switching receiver that won't support 1.4. I'm not willing to give up HD Audio on the blurays. If anyone knows a work around for this, please let me know.
Thanks

If that's the case your only option short of buying a new receiver would be to get the panny blu ray player since it has 2 HDMI outs. Other than that you can use a Tos Link or coaxial cable for audio.
post #90 of 5878 Old 05-23-2010, 09:49 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

Thanks

Couldn't you just use either the digital optical out or the 7.1 analog outs of the 6900 and send that straight into your reciever? Then connect the 6900 straight to the TV via HDMI.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung Pn50c8000 50 In 3d Hdtv Plasma Tv , Samsung Pn50c8000 50 Inch 1080p 3d Plasma Hdtv , Samsung Pn63c8000 63 Inch 1080p 3d Plasma Hdtv , Samsung Pn58c8000 58 Inch 1080p 3d Plasma Hdtv Black , Samsung Pn58c8000 58 3d Plasma Tv 16 9 Hdtv 1080p 58in Ws Plasma 1080p 3d Ready 600hz 4 Hdmi Ultra S
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page