*The Official Samsung PNxxC8000 Owner's Discussion Thread!! - Page 37 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1081 of 5889 Old 07-14-2010, 02:10 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I had no IR issues either. I watched news channels, ESPN, played call of duty, and no IR issues whatsoever, and I was looking for it too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1082 of 5889 Old 07-14-2010, 03:34 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I have had some minor IR issues so far. Nothing serious, but for instance we had a flood warning on the screen last night for most of the CBS lineup. There is also a ticker for the morning news. Both left an image on the screen. The morning new ticker was up less than 5 minutes. However, the set is very, very new, since I first hooked it up Saturday morning, and the IR was Monday morning for the news. If the screen goes black you cannot see the IR, but I switched right to the break-in DVD and it was there plain as day when a light background was showing. It went away, so I'm not worried, but I only have MvA in 3D, and two other blu-ray movies, both of which I have already seen. So I am not in a rush to watch anything that cant be made to fit the screen. I am also running the break in slides while I am at work (and while I was out Saturday and Sunday...forgot on Monday). The screen definitely needs to settle down, and I could swear on the break in slides I see sparklies when up close (a few inches away) during the break-in slides, but not noticeable from any real viewing distance. I broke-in my Toshiba RPT 8 years ago, and now can watch anything I want for hours on end without any IR whatsoever, games, tickers, etc. It still has a phenomenal picture, although the brightness has definitely decreased since I got it. But heck it's 8 years old...

DarrenK
post #1083 of 5889 Old 07-14-2010, 03:37 PM

Does anyone know how to view the number of hours on this set? Panny has it in the service menu. Does anyone know about Samsung?

DarrenK
post #1084 of 5889 Old 07-14-2010, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarrenK View Post

I have had some minor IR issues so far. Nothing serious, but for instance we had a flood warning on the screen last night for most of the CBS lineup. There is also a ticker for the morning news. Both left an image on the screen. The morning new ticker was up less than 5 minutes. However, the set is very, very new, since I first hooked it up Saturday morning, and the IR was Monday morning for the news. If the screen goes black you cannot see the IR, but I switched right to the break-in DVD and it was there plain as day when a light background was showing. It went away, so I'm not worried, but I only have MvA in 3D, and two other blu-ray movies, both of which I have already seen. So I am not in a rush to watch anything that cant be made to fit the screen. I am also running the break in slides while I am at work (and while I was out Saturday and Sunday...forgot on Monday). The screen definitely needs to settle down, and I could swear on the break in slides I see sparklies when up close (a few inches away) during the break-in slides, but not noticeable from any real viewing distance. I broke-in my Toshiba RPT 8 years ago, and now can watch anything I want for hours on end without any IR whatsoever, games, tickers, etc. It still has a phenomenal picture, although the brightness has definitely decreased since I got it. But heck it's 8 years old...

DarrenK

sorry cant help with the number of hours, also want that info though!

Anyway, I have also noticed sparklies as you call them. I notice these even during the imax sceens of dark night. I have been wondering if I should be worried or not. They always go away and the pixels in the same location have not shown continuous flicker... not sure on this one.

FYI for anyone not experiencing this. The snow that you see in any no signal channel, take one of those white pixels and randomly place it in a sceen from a blu ray or hdtv, that is a sparkle. Random meaning one or two frames per second, then it goes away.
post #1085 of 5889 Old 07-14-2010, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmercer3 View Post

sorry cant help with the number of hours, also want that info though!

Anyway, I have also noticed sparklies as you call them. I notice these even during the imax sceens of dark night. I have been wondering if I should be worried or not. They always go away and the pixels in the same location have not shown continuous flicker... not sure on this one.

FYI for anyone not experiencing this. The snow that you see in any no signal channel, take one of those white pixels and randomly place it in a sceen from a blu ray or hdtv, that is a sparkle. Random meaning one or two frames per second, then it goes away.

turn the tv off and go into the service menu by pressing mute, 1, 8, 2, power in succession. i forget when menu it is in under there but it is there. just be careful when you exit the service menu i have had the set revert to default settings. including all of the source picture and sound settings you have made. it's called panel hrs i think.
post #1086 of 5889 Old 07-14-2010, 06:55 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by tredn View Post

turn the tv off and go into the service menu by pressing mute, 1, 8, 2, power in succession. i forget when menu it is in under there but it is there. just be careful when you exit the service menu i have had the set revert to default settings. including all of the source picture and sound settings you have made. it's called panel hrs i think.

Yes, this is how you do it. Here is a step by step, like "tredn" said, be careful.

* Turn the power off
* Press the {MUTE} {1} {8} {2} {POWER} buttons.

* The Service Menu will be displayed.

* Use the {UP} or {DOWN} buttons to select "PDP OPTION"
* Then press the {ENTER} button to access it.

* The hours used will be one of the items listed.

* To exit, press the {RETURN} button or turn the power off.

NOTE: After exiting, all picture settings will be reset to
default values. So make sure to write down custom
adjustments before accessing the Service Menu.
post #1087 of 5889 Old 07-14-2010, 07:28 PM

Well i to have some IR issues top right corner my Denon logo wont go away even after i run samsung software or burnin dvd, how do u get rid of this IR

From jdsmoothie "Before returning your Denon as being defective ... "Reset the Microprocessor" (see Owner's Manual for instructions)
post #1088 of 5889 Old 07-14-2010, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectronicTonic View Post

Yes, this is how you do it. Here is a step by step, like "tredn" said, be careful.

* Turn the power off
* Press the {MUTE} {1} {8} {2} {POWER} buttons.

* The Service Menu will be displayed.

* Use the {UP} or {DOWN} buttons to select "PDP OPTION"
* Then press the {ENTER} button to access it.

* The hours used will be one of the items listed.

* To exit, press the {RETURN} button or turn the power off.

NOTE: After exiting, all picture settings will be reset to
default values. So make sure to write down custom
adjustments before accessing the Service Menu.

Thanks!

Panel shows 67 hours...Also shows purchase date? Weird....It shows the date I first turned it on, which is weird, because it was bought a few days before...lol

DarrenK
post #1089 of 5889 Old 07-14-2010, 11:02 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Thanks!

Panel shows 67 hours...Also shows purchase date? Weird....It shows the date I first turned it on, which is weird, because it was bought a few days before...lol

DarrenK

No prob,
You might want to check if it resets the hours when you exit. I think it did this on the B860 panel, I could be wrong. The way I kept track of my first 200hrs, was with a log......kinda geeky, but it worked.
post #1090 of 5889 Old 07-14-2010, 11:06 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme22 View Post

Well i to have some IR issues top right corner my Denon logo wont go away even after i run samsung software or burnin dvd, how do u get rid of this IR

How many hours do you have on your TV, also do you have pixel shift set to on? Have you tried the screen scrolling feature?
I did about 200hrs+ of break in, I haven't had a problem with IR.

(edit) Sorry re-read your post, I'm guessing you did try the scrolling feature.
post #1091 of 5889 Old 07-15-2010, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectronicTonic View Post

How many hours do you have on your TV, also do you have pixel shift set to on? Have you tried the screen scrolling feature?
I did about 200hrs+ of break in, I haven't had a problem with IR.

(edit) Sorry re-read your post, I'm guessing you did try the scrolling feature.

hi viewing hours less than 3 hours new to tv, i have not had the chance to pu 200hrs+

From jdsmoothie "Before returning your Denon as being defective ... "Reset the Microprocessor" (see Owner's Manual for instructions)
post #1092 of 5889 Old 07-15-2010, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmercer3 View Post

Your onkyo 905 cannot pass 3d video (I believe).

One solution is to buy an HDMI splitter for your blu ray and ps3.
If you run your hdmi cords to a splitter from your c6900 and ps3 then you can run two hdmi to your audio receiver and one to your tv.

That was the only solution I could come up with before I decided to just buy a receiver that passes hdmi 1.4 (3d)

How about 905 Use HDMI Audio by Pass??
post #1093 of 5889 Old 07-15-2010, 12:08 PM

Sorry I dont have time to read everyone post ... but im interested in this tv compared to the VT25 which is out of my pay-scale right now. The pricing and BB deal drew me into this tv , but more i read about features, the more i like it...

hoping someone could clearify few of my remaining q's / doubts? Would really be grateful.

1. Does it stop at 60hz refresh rate like the c7000 or does it do 96hz?
2. Can it properly handle 24p unlike the C7000?
3. Samsung claimed this would have far deeper blacks than the c7000 - this true...how is it compared to vt25 / is it still worth the price drop?
4. Has the buzz issue been fixed .... i.e. blacks on panny seem debatable, rather deal with slight hum than to see my PQ diminish (unless a full diminsh still looks better than this tv, but i doubt it).
5. How is the ghosting or motion blurr compared to the C7000 (which got negged for)?
6. 3D - prior to this TV panasonic had the acclaimed best 3d PQ -- does it still have it or is there at least a tie?

Id be grateful to have any/all these questions answered..... as id like to buy this tv THIS weekend if im persuaded. Im really interested but on the fence as i was on panasonics farm.
post #1094 of 5889 Old 07-15-2010, 12:19 PM

NO BUZZ at all on my 58c8000

Stop weezing the juice!
post #1095 of 5889 Old 07-15-2010, 12:20 PM

#6 cnet review states c7000 has better 3d than vt25

Stop weezing the juice!
post #1096 of 5889 Old 07-15-2010, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjb4 View Post

NO BUZZ at all on my 58c8000

give it a little bit. i didn't have any at first either but at certain times it is extremely noticeable when the sound is down low. or i have tv paused. it is tolerable but there. otherwise I LOVE THE SET!
post #1097 of 5889 Old 07-15-2010, 12:22 PM

NO motion lag or phosphor lag that i have seen. I have however seen green phosphor lag while playing mw2 on my brothers vt25.

Stop weezing the juice!
post #1098 of 5889 Old 07-15-2010, 12:22 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 528 Post(s)
Liked: 692
post #1099 of 5889 Old 07-15-2010, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tredn View Post

give it a little bit. i didn't have any at first either but at certain times it is extremely noticeable when the sound is down low. or i have tv paused. it is tolerable but there. otherwise I LOVE THE SET!

how long have you had your set tho??

Stop weezing the juice!
post #1100 of 5889 Old 07-15-2010, 12:23 PM

Quote:

yeah i just read the full review for the c7000 and it sounds solid. If the c8000 improves on the flaws of the c7000 -- im sold! Esp with the BB deal. How about the other q's?

Thanks!
post #1101 of 5889 Old 07-15-2010, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post

^^^ I guess there are mixed reviews as always, we heard different.

Yes your absolutely right cleveland!!! So many mixed reviews out there its confusing. All I can say is every 2010 plasma I have seen are great!!! So as a consumer you have to see them for yourself. I have sensitive eyes and see rainbows on dlp sets and most ppl don't. So use YOUR eyes and buy accordingly. Do you agree cleveland??

Stop weezing the juice!
post #1102 of 5889 Old 07-15-2010, 12:27 PM

Carlson275,
You do realize that with BB, you have at least 30 days to return/exchange if you are not totally satisfied or if you get a buzzer.

Once you've gone Buttkicker, you can't go back.

post #1103 of 5889 Old 07-15-2010, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by javdog View Post

Carlson275,
You do realize that with BB, you have at least 30 days to return/exchange if you are not totally satisfied or if you get a buzzer.

Yeah, Im just a poor college grad trying to pay off loans and while i shouldnt buy a new tv -- its my passion and i can JUST fit it into my budget (with some sort of no interest deal -- which im willing to go anywhere for)

Therefore, like everyone, i just want the best for my money. And minimize regrets.

Does anyone think a 4yr "black tier" service plan is worth 400? Or should i / can i buy a service plan for my tv besides BB. I never bought a service plan before and thus far have no regretted it (nothing has broken on me, knock on wood). Id love to save the 400, but 400 is prob cheaper then having to send it out for repairs / exchange??

I guess if this c8000 can handel 24p - which i havent been confirmed but lead to believe yes - im practicually sold.
post #1104 of 5889 Old 07-15-2010, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlson275 View Post

Yeah, Im just a poor college grad trying to pay off loans and while i shouldnt buy a new tv -- its my passion and i can JUST fit it into my budget (with some sort of no interest deal -- which im willing to go anywhere for)

Therefore, like everyone, i just want the best for my money. And minimize regrets.

Does anyone think a 4yr "black tier" service plan is worth 400? Or should i / can i buy a service plan for my tv besides BB. I never bought a service plan before and thus far have no regretted it (nothing has broken on me, knock on wood). Id love to save the 400, but 400 is prob cheaper then having to send it out for repairs / exchange??

I guess if this c8000 can handel 24p - which i havent been confirmed but lead to believe yes - im practicually sold.

It can handle 24p. Ive had a 58c8000 for a couple days outside my return period and I am loving it... no buyers remorse here!

And please do not buy a extended service plan from BB... check up on rip off reports, I have personally had bad experience with them on it.

Most experts have said that the rate of failure on tv's these days is so low that service plans are almost always a waste of money. They are talking about failure outside of the manufacturer warranty though, most that do fail do so inside the warranty period and therefor require no extended warranty to be fixed. Anyhow, if you decide you need a service plan go through a 3rd party that specializes in service plans, never buy one from a retailer. Just my humble opinion.
post #1105 of 5889 Old 07-15-2010, 01:45 PM

Don't buy a ext plan from bb!!! Use squaretrade or others. squaretrade is just 100$ for 3yrs a little more for 4 but i buy a new tv every two three yrs. Plus squaretrade will NOT use refurbished parts!

Stop weezing the juice!
post #1106 of 5889 Old 07-15-2010, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlson275 View Post

Sorry I dont have time to read everyone post ... but im interested in this tv compared to the VT25 which is out of my pay-scale right now. The pricing and BB deal drew me into this tv , but more i read about features, the more i like it...

hoping someone could clearify few of my remaining q's / doubts? Would really be grateful.

1. Does it stop at 60hz refresh rate like the c7000 or does it do 96hz?
2. Can it properly handle 24p unlike the C7000?
3. Samsung claimed this would have far deeper blacks than the c7000 - this true...how is it compared to vt25 / is it still worth the price drop?
4. Has the buzz issue been fixed .... i.e. blacks on panny seem debatable, rather deal with slight hum than to see my PQ diminish (unless a full diminsh still looks better than this tv, but i doubt it).
5. How is the ghosting or motion blurr compared to the C7000 (which got negged for)?
6. 3D - prior to this TV panasonic had the acclaimed best 3d PQ -- does it still have it or is there at least a tie?

Id be grateful to have any/all these questions answered..... as id like to buy this tv THIS weekend if im persuaded. Im really interested but on the fence as i was on panasonics farm.

Ok, to the best of my ability here goes:

1. the 8000 has Cinema Smooth. I believe that is 96hz (or maybe 72?) It can be turned on in the 7000 with a service menu adjustment. Note Bene: Cinema Smooth is only an option on Blu-Ray Discs. As far as I have been able to determine, all regular DVDs play back at 60 hz. I have tried to get the BDC6900 player to output 24p for regular dvds with no luck.

2. The problem with the 7000 as I understand it is the inability to turn off the Motion Judder Cancel. The same service menu adjustment that turns on the CS option allows you to turn off the MJC. As noted above, CS does allow proper playback of 24p material.

3. The VT25 unquestionably has deeper blacks. Will they rise over time? The consensus (and info from Panny) is yes. How much? Well, who knows. The rise will supposedly be more gradual in the VT25. As compared to the 7000, the 8000 may have deeper blacks because of the better filter it has. I think I saw someone post the relative black levels, but I don't recall the exact numbers. I will say this. I was really going to buy the Panny just for the deeper blacks. However, I was unable to get the VT25 through my source, and opted for the 8000. I don't regret it at all. The blacks are just fine. Remember, it is one thing to view a set next to others, it is entirely different to watch it by itself in isolation.

4. The buzz issue, as it has been reported on this forum has not been "fixed". My set does not buzz. I believe those who say their sets do buzz. My set has the hum from the power supply, which I can hear if I place my head behind the set. I don't think all sets buzz. I happen to have extremely sensitive hearing, and was very worried about this issue as well. Fortunately, 67 hours in, my set is dead quiet. If thousands of these sets were being returned, Samsung would sit up and take notice, so I tend to think it is isolated batches that have problems. Just my theory.

5. This goes to the MJC as discussed above. Turning it off improves the picture.

6. This is a more difficult question, as I have personally been unable to see the same demo material on both sets. I have been very happy with the 3D on my set with the limited 3D material I have. That being said, the 3D demo I saw on the VT25 was outstanding. The scenes from Rome were amazing, and it seems like the fountain in right in front of you. The depth field in the scene with the banners/lamps is amazing. If I could get my hands on the Panny demo disc I could tell you how it looks on the Samsung, but alas...I will say the Samsung demo, with the Black Eyed Peas, the confetti looks like it is right in front of you, I mean I want to reach out and touch it! Which is better...who knows right now.

These are just my opinions, but I hope they help.

DarrenK
post #1107 of 5889 Old 07-15-2010, 07:45 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 21
What BB deal?? Do you mean the free blu-ray player and starter kit?

I'm pretty sure that's a Samsung promotion since I got it elsewhere (for MUCH lower than BB) and got other promotions from the same store as well. I've also seen it on Amazon.com.

The Hodor Theater - In Progress
Projector - Panasonic PT-AE8000U
LCR speakers - JTR Noesis 228 HT
Surround/Back Speakers - Klipsch Pro Cinema KPT-8000M
Subwoofers - Dual Passive JTR Captivator Pros
Receiver - Onkyo TX-SR608
post #1108 of 5889 Old 07-15-2010, 08:44 PM

Quote:

I am lost where does it state that??
post #1109 of 5889 Old 07-16-2010, 07:18 AM

Quote:

Ok, to the best of my ability here goes:

These are just my opinions, but I hope they help.

DarrenK

Thank you very much, im grateful for the great info.

as for 3d "Samsung has officially retaken the picture settings crown from LG this year...Samsung offers a smattering of settings for both native 3D content and 2D-to-3D conversion" --- while the VT25 had "skimpy" 3D settings.... and then "The PNC7000 evinced similar amounts of crosstalk as Panasonic TC-PVT20/25 plasma." Fianlly "we did detect some color-related issues on the Panasonic that we didn't see on the Samsung;....and the amber tint of the Panasonic's glasses showed through occasionally on crosstalk."

They never say that 3d 8000 IS better than vt25 - but they hint at it as they suggest the pq/effect in 3d are about the same and while the blacks are better on vt25, the 8000 has more settings and better color. At very least....they are tied.
post #1110 of 5889 Old 07-16-2010, 09:35 AM

Im not sure if anyone has seen this but on slickdeals.net yesterday they had the PN63C8000, Samsung BD-C6900 3D Blu Ray player and the Samsung 3D starter kit with 2 pairs of glasses and Monsters VS Aliens in 3D for $2919.00 and FREE Shipping. The company is US Appliances. I have been looking for this TV at several places and this is by far the best deal I have found. Hope that helps anyone who is looking.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung Pn50c8000 50 In 3d Hdtv Plasma Tv , Samsung Pn50c8000 50 Inch 1080p 3d Plasma Hdtv , Samsung Pn63c8000 63 Inch 1080p 3d Plasma Hdtv , Samsung Pn58c8000 58 Inch 1080p 3d Plasma Hdtv Black , Samsung Pn58c8000 58 3d Plasma Tv 16 9 Hdtv 1080p 58in Ws Plasma 1080p 3d Ready 600hz 4 Hdmi Ultra S
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page