*The Official Samsung PNxxC8000 Owner's Discussion Thread!! - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 5882 Old 05-23-2010, 10:58 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Here is my story.

I've owned an HDTV since the 360 came out in 2005. It was a Samsung 32" LCD. In 2007 when I bought a house, I upgraded to a 52" LCD 71 series, also Samsung, for the basement. It was the first line of TVs to have the 120hz feature. Along the lines, I went and got a 40" LCD A550 series for the living room.

I dont really care much about 3D, but the 52" really isn't big enough for the amount of room I have in the basement. The motion blur (especially when panning in a shooter) drives me crazy. Side scrollers blur as well. I've been looking to upgrade for some time. I was looking into buying the 65" Samsung 8000 series LED edge lit LCD which comes out in July.

The problem is that its still an edge lit LED and not a local dimming LED. Edge Lit LED's have uneven black levels near the corners. I've seen it myself. Samsung always comes out with a full LED near the end of the year.

I just keep playing the waiting game looking for the next best LCD and realizing that the motion blur is still probably going to be an issue due to the design of an LCD. The 120hz (and 240hz) on LCDs don't really help the problems, when in face they make them worse.

Which brings me to Plasma. I've never owned one. I don't know why.

I just can't figure it out. I keep reading review after review of LCD's that pretty much state, its ALMOST as good in many aspects as a Plasma.

I started taking a look at the 63" 8000 series plasma.

Has anyone tried the new 8000 series LEDs from Sammy and the 8000 series Plasma? I went to Magnolia in my local best buy and the LCD looks better but i know the floor in best buy is the worst place you can ever compare TV's.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 5882 Old 05-23-2010, 11:24 AM
Advanced Member

What are the differences between a service menu modified C7000 and a C8000 Samsung plasma?

post #93 of 5882 Old 05-23-2010, 11:27 AM
Advanced Member

I would go with the plasma unless you plan on gaming on it 80% of the time or more. The plasma has much less motion blur, perfect viewing angles, blacks that are black and not blue, perfect screen uniformity, and you can get a bigger size for much less money.
post #94 of 5882 Old 05-23-2010, 11:30 AM

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sound & Vision View Post

Couldn't you just use either the digital optical out or the 7.1 analog outs of the 6900 and send that straight into your reciever? Then connect the 6900 straight to the TV via HDMI.

Option 3...I forgot about the analog out lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony6225 View Post

I would go with the plasma unless you plan on gaming on it 80% of the time or more. The plasma has much less motion blur, perfect viewing angles, blacks that are black and not blue, perfect screen uniformity, and you can get a bigger size for much less money.

I plan on gaming quite a bit...JTAG'd 360, PS3 & a Wii...I still opted for the plasma. From what I've read burn in is a thing of the past and IR isn't really that bad either.
post #95 of 5882 Old 05-23-2010, 02:30 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:

Couldn't you just use either the digital optical out or the 7.1 analog outs of the 6900 and send that straight into your reciever? Then connect the 6900 straight to the TV via HDMI.

My understanding is that you can't get the new audio formats with those cables (i.e. Dolby True-HD, DTS-HD). If that is not true, then I wouldn't have any issue using an optical cable.
post #96 of 5882 Old 05-23-2010, 02:42 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by socwrkr View Post

My understanding is that you can't get the new audio formats with those cables (i.e. Dolby True-HD, DTS-HD). If that is not true, then I wouldn't have any issue using an optical cable.

You can still get HD audio using the analogue outs on the blu ray player. The problem is that you will be using the player's DAC's instead of your receiver's DAC's. Which DAC is superior? More than likely your receiver (not sure which one you have). Samsung analogue outs aren't necessarily the greatest.
post #97 of 5882 Old 05-23-2010, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcdo View Post

You can still get HD audio using the analogue outs on the blu ray player. The problem is that you will be using the player's DAC's instead of your receiver's DAC's. Which DAC is superior? More than likely your receiver (not sure which one you have). Samsung analogue outs aren't necessarily the greatest.

I already have a PS3 which is supposed to be able to play 3D sometime this summer. I haven't looked at the outputs yet for it but I think, since its one of the older (big) PS3s, it may be doing the DAC instead of the receiver (receiver will just show PCM on the screen, not TRUEHD, etc.)
post #98 of 5882 Old 05-23-2010, 02:52 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by CappyDen View Post

The set was on its stand about 2.5-3 feet off the floor on an AV table with the BR player below. When I turned off last years Sam/B series set, the Magnolia room (filled only with plasmas) went quiet. No other set, no Pans, LG's, along with the new *C* series Sam's were making noise. Volume levels were all down to zero. I sat approx. 6-8 feet away on a small foot stool, eye level with the center of the screen.... NO BUZZ, NO HUM, no nothing.

My 63C8000 is on back order.... all these reports of buzzing is making me nervous.... should I abort?

I wouldn't abort because you have proof that not all the sets buzz. There have been other reports of non buzzing as well. Just buy from someone with a good return policy so you can exchange.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #99 of 5882 Old 05-23-2010, 02:56 PM
AVS Special Member

master burn in thread has at least 3 reports of people with actual burn-in, one of them is a G20. Or if you still believe it's IR, then it's IR that lasts 6+ weeks.
post #100 of 5882 Old 05-23-2010, 02:57 PM

Hey guys,

Just posting some observations... I have a PN58C8000, and so far it has been great. I've only had it for a week and I mostly keep it in Movie mode, but lately I've been experimenting with turning on Cinema Smooth Mode / Motion Judder Canceller. It looks like Avatar seems to have the best picture quality when I put it in Movie mode along with MJC set to Standard.

Today I bought the 300 blu-ray disc and popped it into the Samsung 3d blu-ray disc player. It immediately used BD-WISE as the picture mode. The picture seemed really "grainy" so I switched it to Movie mode. When I turned on MJC or Cinema Smooth Mode, the picture seemed very blurry and made my eyes tired when people were moving around. The only way I could get it to look good was to put it in Movie mode and turn off MJC and Cinema Smooth Mode. My viewing distance to the TV is only about 6ft.

Has anyone specifically tried playing 300 in blu-ray disc format on their sets? What settings/modes did you use?

I just want to make sure that I don't have a defective TV.

Thanks!
Ryan
post #101 of 5882 Old 05-23-2010, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaddix View Post

master burn in thread has at least 3 reports of people with actual burn-in, one of them is a G20. Or if you still believe it's IR, then it's IR that lasts 6+ weeks.

Did they break in their set? Where did the burn in come from? I mean i wouldn't do anything stupid like leave it paused for long periods of time or anything like that though.
post #102 of 5882 Old 05-23-2010, 03:34 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topless Stang View Post

Did they break in their set? Where did the burn in come from? I mean i wouldn't do anything stupid like leave it paused for long periods of time or anything like that though.

Has anyone here seen Avatar 3D in the theater and on their C8000 with 2D-3D conversion enabled? How did it stack up? I'm asking because although I have seen a Sammy C7000 plasma playing MVA 3D many times, I havent been able to test the 2D-3D conversion at all.
post #103 of 5882 Old 05-23-2010, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryantiguan View Post

Hey guys,

Just posting some observations... I have a PN58C8000, and so far it has been great. I've only had it for a week and I mostly keep it in Movie mode, but lately I've been experimenting with turning on Cinema Smooth Mode / Motion Judder Canceller. It looks like Avatar seems to have the best picture quality when I put it in Movie mode along with MJC set to Standard.

Today I bought the 300 blu-ray disc and popped it into the Samsung 3d blu-ray disc player. It immediately used BD-WISE as the picture mode. The picture seemed really "grainy" so I switched it to Movie mode. When I turned on MJC or Cinema Smooth Mode, the picture seemed very blurry and made my eyes tired when people were moving around. The only way I could get it to look good was to put it in Movie mode and turn off MJC and Cinema Smooth Mode. My viewing distance to the TV is only about 6ft.

Has anyone specifically tried playing 300 in blu-ray disc format on their sets? What settings/modes did you use?

I just want to make sure that I don't have a defective TV.

Thanks!
Ryan

300 was made to look grainy. Some people like it, i think it looks like crap and is the main reason I never watched the whole thing again since it was in the theater. I don't think there is any setting you will be able to find that's going to get rid of the grain. At least you know it's not your tv.
post #104 of 5882 Old 05-23-2010, 06:00 PM

Quote:

300 was made to look grainy. Some people like it, i think it looks like crap and is the main reason I never watched the whole thing again since it was in the theater. I don't think there is any setting you will be able to find that's going to get rid of the grain. At least you know it's not your tv.

Ah, I see.

Cool! Yes, glad to know it's not the TV.

Can you guys (for those that care to) comment on the following three:

1) Which TV do you have? PN50,PN58, PN63?
2) What is your approximate viewing distance from the TV to your couch?
3) Which mode do you usually keep the TV in (Movie, Standard, etc)?
4) Under which circumstances (if any) do you enable Motion Judder Canceller / Cinema Smooth Film Mode?

Thanks!

Ryan
post #105 of 5882 Old 05-23-2010, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony6225 View Post

Has anyone here seen Avatar 3D in the theater and on their C8000 with 2D-3D conversion enabled? How did it stack up? I'm asking because although I have seen a Sammy C7000 plasma playing MVA 3D many times, I havent been able to test the 2D-3D conversion at all.

I kinda feel your pain...which is why I'm not buying Avatar until the 3D version is released. My advice would be to watch something else if you don't want to spoil it. How about LOTR or DK Returns? Isn't Cloudy w/a chance of meatballs going to be released to the masses next month in 3D?

I do have another question for folks who use 2D to 3D...I heard that if you are using apps like Netflix you can't do 2D to 3D. Does that hold true if you use something else for Netflix access(i.e. the bluray player, 360, PS3, Wii or PC?)
post #106 of 5882 Old 05-23-2010, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LevityNYC View Post

Here is my story.

I've owned an HDTV since the 360 came out in 2005. It was a Samsung 32" LCD. In 2007 when I bought a house, I upgraded to a 52" LCD 71 series, also Samsung, for the basement. It was the first line of TVs to have the 120hz feature. Along the lines, I went and got a 40" LCD A550 series for the living room.

I dont really care much about 3D, but the 52" really isn't big enough for the amount of room I have in the basement. The motion blur (especially when panning in a shooter) drives me crazy. Side scrollers blur as well. I've been looking to upgrade for some time. I was looking into buying the 65" Samsung 8000 series LED edge lit LCD which comes out in July.

The problem is that its still an edge lit LED and not a local dimming LED. Edge Lit LED's have uneven black levels near the corners. I've seen it myself. Samsung always comes out with a full LED near the end of the year.

I just keep playing the waiting game looking for the next best LCD and realizing that the motion blur is still probably going to be an issue due to the design of an LCD. The 120hz (and 240hz) on LCDs don't really help the problems, when in face they make them worse.

Which brings me to Plasma. I've never owned one. I don't know why.

I just can't figure it out. I keep reading review after review of LCD's that pretty much state, its ALMOST as good in many aspects as a Plasma.

I started taking a look at the 63" 8000 series plasma.

Has anyone tried the new 8000 series LEDs from Sammy and the 8000 series Plasma? I went to Magnolia in my local best buy and the LCD looks better but i know the floor in best buy is the worst place you can ever compare TV's.

Well for one thing the new LED/LCD 8000 series has the new *Precision Dimming*.... it's okay but it doesn't hold a candle to last years 8500 with *local dimming*. The off angle on their new LED/LCD's suck as well.

Plus, they're expen$ive when compared to the performance of well tuned plasmas.
post #107 of 5882 Old 05-23-2010, 08:52 PM

Quote:

I had the panasonic 350 3D player when I had my TC-P54VT25.. If a was a good match up and a good player.. When I exchanged it for the PN58C8000 I also exchanged out the player to the samsung 6900. The samsung is super fast loading. It has a see through drive cover with blue night effect graphics that can be turned off. Very cool! The upconversion was great on Star Wars plus.... I use BD Wise which optimizes the two samsung products. If your going with the samsung TV.. Go with the samsung player! You'll be glad that you did.

Curious, why did you return the VT25? I was debating getting the 58C8000 or waiting for the 58VT25. I bought the C8000 but its going back due to its buzzing.

Wondering if I should just wait for the Panny..
post #108 of 5882 Old 05-23-2010, 11:05 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I already have a PS3 which is supposed to be able to play 3D sometime this summer. I haven't looked at the outputs yet for it but I think, since its one of the older (big) PS3s, it may be doing the DAC instead of the receiver (receiver will just show PCM on the screen, not TRUEHD, etc.)

Ah, I see. Well PS3 doesn't have analogue outs so you'd be out of luck when it comes to HD audio if that's what you're using.
post #109 of 5882 Old 05-24-2010, 12:27 AM

Jesus what kind of an owner discussion is this with no photos or pictures or what so ever,how about showing your TV`s instead of boring us with thousands of text lines.We need to see how good it looks not how nice it sounds from these texts.
post #110 of 5882 Old 05-24-2010, 01:11 AM

ok my best buy matched a price i got from ultimate electronics including tax and shipping got for what crutcfield and such have it at with the 3d blu ray player and starter kit . only prob is it has to be shipped from a magnolia store before me . how sturdy is this set will it deal with 2 shipping trucks well and can it be carried upstairs at a slight angle 20 to 30 degrees by 2 people without there being a stability issue. its my first plasma or led and wondered being sooo thin if they were sturdy . thanks

also could someone list the steps for us newbies as to what to do after plugged

ie turn on set "" to "" and run slides ect thanks its just hard to scroll through 70 pages on the other thread to find the order of these thanks
post #111 of 5882 Old 05-24-2010, 04:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmoviestar View Post

ok my best buy matched a price i got from ultimate electronics including tax and shipping got for what crutcfield and such have it at with the 3d blu ray player and starter kit . only prob is it has to be shipped from a magnolia store before me . how sturdy is this set will it deal with 2 shipping trucks well and can it be carried upstairs at a slight angle 20 to 30 degrees by 2 people without there being a stability issue. its my first plasma or led and wondered being sooo thin if they were sturdy . thanks

also could someone list the steps for us newbies as to what to do after plugged

ie turn on set "" to "" and run slides ect thanks its just hard to scroll through 70 pages on the other thread to find the order of these thanks

I feel your pain. I read through all of those pages starting at page one before I decided to buy. Quick question...is the place Best Buy price matched a 'local' store?? If they are willing to play ball I have my invoice from ABT to use as a bargaining tool

Check out the settings thread and also search for plasma break in. Those two things should give you quite a bit to do.
post #112 of 5882 Old 05-24-2010, 04:52 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Alas, the sad story continues and I'm moving it to this new thread. Got a second 58C8000 from Crutchfield, only to open the box and find a cracked screen--again! They point fingers at the carrier, while the carrier says the sets must have been broken prior to going into the packaging. And now the set is out of stock with no estimated date for further stock. Any suggestions??
post #113 of 5882 Old 05-24-2010, 05:38 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorO View Post

Alas, the sad story continues and I'm moving it to this new thread. Got a second 58C8000 from Crutchfield, only to open the box and find a cracked screen--again! They point fingers at the carrier, while the carrier says the sets must have been broken prior to going into the packaging. And now the set is out of stock with no estimated date for further stock. Any suggestions??

oh that sucks..

see if you can find a local retailer ( even best buy ) to price match. See if they can match it even including tax ( I had that done for me )
post #114 of 5882 Old 05-24-2010, 09:35 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdangel View Post

Curious, why did you return the VT25? I was debating getting the 58C8000 or waiting for the 58VT25. I bought the C8000 but its going back due to its buzzing.

Wondering if I should just wait for the Panny..

a few reasons... I fell for the 2D to 3D, and decided that it is something I wanted. The 58" fit my room better than the 54".. My sound bar blocked the panasonic's infrared sensor due to being in the middle of the front of the TV.. I could not use the panasonic remote.. The samsung's sensors are on the side so that problem in no longer.. Plus, IMO.. The samsung glasses are more comfortable, and don't let light in on the sides.. The bridge piece for the nose on the panasonic's glasses is a press on which kept falling off.. YMMV.
post #115 of 5882 Old 05-24-2010, 10:26 AM
Advanced Member

my tv came .. and so far so good

love it so far but only had it for less then an hour =)

just threw in pirates of the Caribbean quickly .. put it on movie mode and cinema smooth and looks great
post #116 of 5882 Old 05-24-2010, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neceo View Post

my tv came .. and so far so good

love it so far but only had it for less then an hour =)

just threw in pirates of the Caribbean quickly .. put it on movie mode and cinema smooth and looks great

Great!

Question for you... which TV did you get? PN58C8000? What's your viewing distance from couch to TV? Do you notice any pixelation or blurry-ness when people move their heads quickly or anything like that?
post #117 of 5882 Old 05-24-2010, 11:57 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Great!

Question for you... which TV did you get? PN58C8000? What's your viewing distance from couch to TV? Do you notice any pixelation or blurry-ness when people move their heads quickly or anything like that?

I got the 58 and i am 12-15 feet away depending on where I sit. I haven't watched enough , but when i popped in a blu-ray it looked great

BUT sadly i got a buzzer , it does depend on where you sit .. a little to the left, right, or above you hardly hear it or not at all. THere is a "sweet spot" that it is pretty darn loud though
post #118 of 5882 Old 05-24-2010, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neceo View Post

I got the 58 and i am 12-15 feet away depending on where I sit. I haven't watched enough , but when i popped in a blu-ray it looked great

BUT sadly i got a buzzer , it does depend on where you sit .. a little to the left, right, or above you hardly hear it or not at all. THere is a "sweet spot" that it is pretty darn loud though

Sounds exactly like mine! I sit about 5 - 6ft away and the sound is worse in the middle. Doesn't really bother us though.
post #119 of 5882 Old 05-24-2010, 12:14 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Sounds exactly like mine! I sit about 5 - 6ft away and the sound is worse in the middle. Doesn't really bother us though.

yea pretty much if you are dead center it is loud, other then that can't hear it at all
post #120 of 5882 Old 05-24-2010, 01:28 PM

Ok. I've been following the VT25 and Samsung posts for several months now, and finally decided on the Pnc 8000. I've had it for 2 days, and here are my initial thoughts.
--Zero buzzing so far, and I am listening to for it.
--picture quality out of the box was very impressive, but i turned down all the
settings so i could "break " in.
--I am no expert, just eyeballing it, but the blacks are not as black as the
VT25 i saw in the showroom, but I am replacing a Sony LCD and they are
darker than my Sony, so I am satisfied with that.
--Watched Avatar on the Samsung BD player this weekend, and was Blown
away. Even my wife who is no TV fan sat down and watched the movie
with me and the kids. Picture quality is much better than my Sony.
--3D quality was excellent with the included MVA. The glasses worked great,
that was one deciding factor between the C8000 and VT25. My wife was
never comfortable with the Panasonic Glasses.
--So far so good.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung Pn50c8000 50 In 3d Hdtv Plasma Tv , Samsung Pn50c8000 50 Inch 1080p 3d Plasma Hdtv , Samsung Pn63c8000 63 Inch 1080p 3d Plasma Hdtv , Samsung Pn58c8000 58 Inch 1080p 3d Plasma Hdtv Black , Samsung Pn58c8000 58 3d Plasma Tv 16 9 Hdtv 1080p 58in Ws Plasma 1080p 3d Ready 600hz 4 Hdmi Ultra S
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page