*The Official Samsung PNxxC8000 Owner's Discussion Thread!! - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 5887 Old 05-25-2010, 07:49 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryantiguan View Post

Interesting points.

Here's one thing that I noticed. When the movie is over and the credits are scrolling by, I can detect judder around the letters as they scroll. They are not as crisp as letters that I've seen on a regular tube tv. Do others notice this too at all?

Hmmmm, that is odd. That should not happen especially if you have cinemasmooth (96 Hz) on.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 5887 Old 05-25-2010, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandaroy View Post

Hmmmm, that is odd. That should not happen especially if you have cinemasmooth (96 Hz) on.

Well I haven't tried this on blu ray disc yet, just after HD movies on regular programming. I will try out the credits on avatar soon.
post #183 of 5887 Old 05-25-2010, 11:15 PM

Got my set in earlier today (well yesterday). Man it looks amazing! I just put it on movie mode and turned contrast down some and MJC off. Any other settings I should change? This is my first plasma but boy have I been missing out on the rich colors and deep blacks plasma has to offer. Gonna try blu ray and maybe xbox tomorrow.
post #184 of 5887 Old 05-25-2010, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by runner66 View Post

does anyone NOT HAVE A BUZZ coming from the front screen

None that I notice.
post #185 of 5887 Old 05-25-2010, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank3030 View Post

Can some one explain or point me to a link that explains the differences between; Dynamic, Standard, Relax, Movie, CAL-NIGHT, and CAL-DAY. It seems I can make adjustments to each and make these all the same.

Does, for example, Dynamic versus Standard, apply a different video algorithm so that, let say, the white balance is brighter in one compared to the other. Or are these different catagories simply placeholders to apply different settings?

thanks

bump....
If nobody knows do you think there's a better place to ask?
post #186 of 5887 Old 05-26-2010, 12:44 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:

You see, the problem is that I understand there is no perfect TV.

Yap.

Quote:

Right now, I have the 52b750.

Nice TV. Almost bought one once.

Quote:

I love the picture, but motion artifacts bother me especially some motion smear that happens on certain circumstances, but I do see it several occasions when I watch a movie. Also hockey looks bad.

What settings are you using with AMP, if any at all? One of the presets or custom? How about when you are watching movies?

Quote:

I have got a exchange offer from BB, but I am debating what I should do. I definitely do not want to get another TV and realize it is harder to live with than this one. If the motion smear was not present with b750, I would be fine.

Could you be a little more specific in describing exactly what this motion smear consists of?

Quote:

The following issues bother me about LEDs

1. Flashlighting / clouding (I know this would bug me as much as the motion smear)

Well, the B8500 locally-dimmed doesn't really have issues with flashlighting. Mine had zero, and I don't hear anyone else that owns an 8500 complaining about flashlights. It is possible to see some clouding on an 8500, however. Some people (a minority?) say they see clouding (but not all the time, only on certain scenes), and some claim they don't see any at all, except for perhaps when switching inputs. Sometimes they show up more noticeably after the panel heats up, after you have had it on for a while. Settings will have some effect, either exacerbating or minimizing it, and there is simply a variance in panels. Sometimes it's simply the luck of the draw. Some people luck out and get panels with no clouding, others are not so fortunate. People say that the precision dimming which is used on the C6800 and C8000 models seems to help with eliminating or at least minimizing flashlighting. I can say that I have seen pretty annoying flashlighting on the C7000 model in the store. But when I turned the backlight down to a more reasonable level it helped. It still didn't go away fully. Turning down the backlight only made it better, so the flashlighting was not as blatant.

Quote:

2. I am not confident that I would not have some or the same motion issues with a LED.

That all depends on the settings. For movies, if you are seeing all kinds of artifacts, you should go into AMP 'Custom' and turn the judder setting all the way down to zero. Try a blur setting of 7-8. If you still are bothered by artifacts after setting blur no higher than 7-8, and judder at zero, then there is a problem. Are these movies you are watching over cable/sat, or via Blu ray? That could make a difference.

Quote:

With plasma the things I am worried about):

1. Buzz

Legitimate worry.

Quote:

2. If the picture is going to have the same sharpness as the high end LCD/LEDs (I have seen the VT series and seems like it will, but the c8000 seemed a bit softer, but I can't be sure since I was not able to play with the settings much)

I found the 2009 Samsung plasmas to be plenty sharp, but then I am not up to speed on the 2010s yet. It was the 2009 Pannys that seemed a bit softer to me. I suppose a plasma might not look as sharp if you are very close to the screen, but from regular viewing distances this should not be an issue. Don't forget that size is a factor. The larger the size of the display the less sharp it will appear given the same distance, because the pixels will be larger. After all, 1080p = 2.1 million pixels (6 million sub-pixels), and if you must squeeze 2 million pixels in a 20 inch puter moniter, the pixels and the spacing between pixels will have to be a lot smaller than on say a 58 inch display. So 50 inch plasmas tend to look sharper than say a 65 inch plasma from the same distance. Artifacts in the signal are more easily noticeable the larger the screen as well. So just make sure when you are evaluating the sharpness of displays, that you are comparing similar sized models, to make it fair. Don't compare a 63 inch C8000 to a 50 inch VT25 and expect the same sharpness, or vice versa.

Quote:

3. If they will lose all the pop and deep blacks in a not so dim room during daytime.

This is inevitable. The blacks will lighten up on any plasma if you have two windows in front of your display. The B750 LCD will look much blacker during the day, and so would any Samsung LED. With the blinds closed it will be closer, but the LCD or LED should still look deeper, because you said that even with the blinds closed light still manages to fill the room. This is how it is in my living room.

Quote:

4. Banding & flicker (I have only read about them, but have not experienced it to know if it will be bothersome).

Don't have much to say here, except that this is a possibility, and I can't say whether or not you are the type that will be sensitive to these possible issues or not.

Quote:

I am leaning towards a 54vt25 or a c8000 plasma, but I am still quite uncertain.

Both of those will have nice blacks in the dark, and no flashlighting, clouding or off-axis issues. Since you said much of your viewing will be in the evening after dark, you should probably give either of these a shot.

Quote:

About LEDs if I knew any model that would be solid in terms of motion performance I would not have an issue.

If you were not happy with the motion on the B750, which if I remember correctly made use of a high-end 240hz 2ms panel, I wouldn't hold out much hope that the motion on an LED would work any better. I had no issues with motion on my B8500, so it really depends on what settings you were using. It's all about the settings on Samsung's AMP. If they are not optimal, the motion will look totally whacked. With judder on zero, and blur on 7-10, the motion should like fine.

I should also point out that CNET pointed out that with their C8000 LED test sample, with judder turned down all the way to zero, it still employed some smoothing, and did not leave the proper 24p film cadence. If true, this is a big no-no. Samsung just couldn't leave well enough alone. It worked just fine last year. If one turned the judder down to zero, you would get the exact same cadence as a plasma, including the blurriness on slow pans. There was no smoothing introduced from frame interpolation, just simple repeating of frames.
post #187 of 5887 Old 05-26-2010, 01:31 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony6225 View Post

I dont know where you're getting that from. I understand that some people are more or less susceptible to blur, but just about every lcd has a hard time doing more than 480p without a lot of processing.

I would tend to agree with you, but I am no expert.

Dr. Raymond Soneira seems to feel otherwise:

THE MYTH of LCD Response Time
http://www.avtechnologyonline.com/article/40606.aspx

I do know that my cheapie 60hz LCD puter monitors definitely have motion blur, but I had no problems with motion blur on the B8500.

Quote:

Game mode on lcd's disables that processing. The person I was replying to in that statement mentioned gaming, therefor I recommended a plasma.

Fair enough. Plasmas are much better suited to gaming, especially if one is not particularly sensitive to phosphor lag. You have to be careful about image retention when gaming on certain brands of plasmas, however. I will concede that LED's with all that extra processing are not as good for gaming. Luckily for me, I don't game.

Quote:

Yes I think everyone knows you liked your B8500 by now. The B8500 was a rarity among lcd's with its ability to reproduce a motion resolution similar to the Kuro's when all the processing was turned on.

Actually it had some issues, just like all displays, but in a bright room I haven't found anything that looks better. The only issue that could be annoying in a bright room was the limited viewing angles.

Quote:

I've never seen green blacks on any plasma other than a Samsung.

All you have to do to see green 'blacks' on a plasma is let a healthy amount of sun shine in the general direction of the front of the screen. I wasn't talking about green blacks in the dark. A plasma is not going to have magically deeper blacks when it is on than when it is off. Have you never seen the wall of plasmas at Best Buy when they shut them all off at closing time? It's so easy to spot all the plasmas on the wall, even from 50 feet away. The plasmas are the ones with all the greenish-gray screens, while the LCD's look black.

Quote:

The good thing is that it can be calibrated out. The blacks on Panny's and Kuro's are black and stay the same no matter what kind of settings are used.

Not when sunlight or lighting like Best Buy hit them. The blacks turn green, just like the color of the screen when it is off.

Quote:

I was able to see a VT20 under store lighting that had the same jet blacks lcd's do under bright lights.

I've seen a VT20 at Best Buy under the lights, and when the screen faded to an all black, there was no black. It looked green, just like all plasmas do under bright lighting. There is nothing magical about the VT20/VT25 filters. They are simply a lot better than last year, so people are enthusiastic about them. But they are not anywhere close to as dark as the filter on a Samsung or Toshiba LED. Do not be deceived into thinking a VT20/25 can hold its own in a bright room vs. a jet-black coated Samsung LED. It simply cannot.

Quote:

Its obvious that Panny made big improvements with their filters and the Sammy C8000 has been reported to have something similar.

Yes, compared to the pathetic filters that Panny had last year, they are much improved. But they are not even in the same league when it comes to preserving blacks in a bright room as the Ultra Clear Panels on the Samsung LED's and LCD's.

Quote:

I agree that lcd's hold an advantage in extremely bright rooms, but for average home theaters, plasma's daytime disadvantages can be overcome by easy fixes. Like curtains for example.

Sure. If people don't have a problem watching in a dark and dreary room during the day, with thick curtains drawn, more power to them. I like my living room cheerful during the day, and don't want to have to close all the curtains everytime I want to watch TV. A Sammy LED will afford one the ability to let the daylight brighten up the room while still maintaining a picture with a lot of contrast and "pop".

Quote:

2. Line Bleed - I've owned 3 plasmas in the last few years, and I've never witnessed line bleed anywhere near as bad as you did on your B850/860.

Well I had two of them, and they both had it the same, and they were Nov and Dec 2009 builds if I recall. Unless you took the exact same test image and put them on your three plasmas, you would have no way of comparing apples to apples. Different content will bring it out to a different extent. Anyway, I don't to prove anything. Plenty of people have complained about line bleed enough on Samsungs and Panasonics that it's a real problem, and not just an imaginary one, but it's not necessarily a dealbreaker for most people. Just a minor nuisance.

Quote:

3. Dim whites - The only time I've ever seen plasma owners complaining about whites was for the Sammy A650, which had pink whites due to a defective glare coating.

One of my B860's had a slight pink hue on the right side of the screen, right up next to the bezel. The second did not have any pink hue, but it buzzed louder. The pink hue issue was not completely eliminated in 2009, although the complaints did seem to go way down vs. 2008, so certainly there was better quality control. I also had a 2008 Samsung plasma which had a pink hue blotch, although it was pretty faint, and didn't bother me all that much.
post #188 of 5887 Old 05-26-2010, 05:56 AM

I finally heard it! I think I got excited when I heard it and don't know why.

I was sitting about 4 feet away, dead center, and there was this faint hum. More like a crackling sound from static discharge. It was so faint, my cat makes more noise walking across the hardwood floor.

I was running the breakin slildes and noticed the volume of the hum would drop-off on some slides. It would also drop-off as soon as I moved off-axis. If this is it for hum I'll be just fine with it.
post #189 of 5887 Old 05-26-2010, 06:28 AM

Quote:

I finally heard it! I think I got excited when I heard it and don't know why.

I was sitting about 4 feet away, dead center, and there was this faint hum. More like a crackling sound from static discharge. It was so faint, my cat makes more noise walking across the hardwood floor.

I was running the breakin slildes and noticed the volume of the hum would drop-off on some slides. It would also drop-off as soon as I moved off-axis. If this is it for hum I'll be just fine with it.

That's awesome! I don't know about you guys, BUT I LOVE MY BUZZZZZZZ!!!! It sounds really cool and adds special effects to quiet scenes! All my friends LOVE it! Cool FEATURE!!!
post #190 of 5887 Old 05-26-2010, 07:46 AM

Originally Posted by ryantiguan
"Our set has a buzz as well (mostly noticeable when sitting directly in front). My wife doesn't hear it. Could it be related to how the TV is mounted? I was going to consider returning it, but this is what Samsung states in the PN58C8000 manual:

05 Other Information
The TV is making a humming noise.
• Plasma TVs typically make a soft humming sound. This is normal. It’s caused by the electrical charges that are used to create the images on the screen.
• If the humming sound is loud, you may have set the brightness on the TV too high. Try setting the brightness lower.
• You can also have loud humming if the back of your Plasma TV is too close to a wall or other hard surface. Also try rerouting your connection cables.
• Improper installation of wall mount can create excessive noise."

OKAY, SO WHAT DOES SAMSUNG CONSIDER TO BE "IMPROPER WALL MOUNT INSTALLATION"? USING RUBBER BANDS AND 2X4'S? My question remains, how many here feel their new Sammy is buzzing becuase they improperly wall mounted their new tv? How can Samsung make this claim? How can this be screwed up? Wall mounting is fairly standardized these days isn't it? Sounds to me that Samsung is trying to pass the buck onto their customers.
post #191 of 5887 Old 05-26-2010, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CappyDen View Post

"Our set has a buzz as well (mostly noticeable when sitting directly in front). My wife doesn't hear it. Could it be related to how the TV is mounted? I was going to consider returning it, but this is what Samsung states in the PN58C8000 manual:

05 Other Information
Plasma TVs typically make a soft humming sound. This is normal. It's caused by the electrical charges that are used to create the images on the screen.
If the humming sound is loud, you may have set the brightness on the TV too high. Try setting the brightness lower.
You can also have loud humming if the back of your Plasma TV is too close to a wall or other hard surface. Also try rerouting your connection cables.
Improper installation of wall mount can create excessive noise."

OKAY, SO WHAT DOES SAMSUNG CONSIDER TO BE "IMPROPER WALL MOUNT INSTALLATION"? USING RUBBER BANDS AND 2X4'S? My question remains, how many here feel their new Sammy is buzzing becuase they improperly wall mounted their new tv? How can Samsung make this claim? How can this be screwed up? Wall mounting is fairly standardized these days isn't it? Sounds to me that Samsung is trying to pass the buck onto their customers.

Mine buzzes and it's not wall mounted.
post #192 of 5887 Old 05-26-2010, 07:49 AM

That's my point... it's as if Samsung is trying to cover all bases by blaming anything and everything except themselves! The fact that the (buzzing) noise can travel (resonate) through the rear mount and into the wall like a tuning fork, where in theory it could be amplified does makes sense, but Samsung should engineer a way for this NOT to happen! Why then were Kuro's and Pannies buzz free units when wall mounted? I'll tell you why, they found a way around it and Sam couldn't care less!
post #193 of 5887 Old 05-26-2010, 07:53 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

That's my point... it's as if Samsung is trying to cover all bases by blaming anything and everything except themselves! The fact that the (buzzing) noise can travel (resonate) through the rear mount and into the wall like a tuning fork, where in theory it could be amplified does makes sense, but Samsung should engineer a way for this NOT to happen! Why then were Kuro's and Pannies buzz free units when wall mounted? I'll tell you why, they found a way around it and Sam couldn't care less!

The pannies have their own problems
post #194 of 5887 Old 05-26-2010, 08:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 41
I hope Samsung is still working on the ghosting problem as the update is really just a compromise at this stage. You can make an adjustment early on in the MVA 3D movie only to find more ghosting in a later scene. You have to split the difference between the two scenes to get through the rest of the ghosting scenes in the movie. I hope they can find a way to eliminate it entirely. It's not awful, it's just there.
post #195 of 5887 Old 05-26-2010, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbug View Post

I hope Samsung is still working on the ghosting problem as the update is really just a compromise at this stage. You can make an adjustment early on in the MVA 3D movie only to find more ghosting in a later scene. You have to split the difference between the two scenes to get through the rest of the ghosting scenes in the movie. I hope they can find a way to eliminate it entirely. It's not awful, it's just there.

Can you elaborate on this please? I'm a little confused about what setting to change, and when?
post #196 of 5887 Old 05-26-2010, 08:12 AM

Quote:

05 Other Information
Plasma TVs typically make a soft humming sound. This is normal. It's caused by the electrical charges that are used to create the images on the screen.
If the humming sound is loud, you may have set the brightness on the TV too high. Try setting the brightness lower.
You can also have loud humming if the back of your Plasma TV is too close to a wall or other hard surface. Also try rerouting your connection cables.
Improper installation of wall mount can create excessive noise."

I have mine mounted real close to the wall using a Sanus LL11. I don't think that's it.
post #197 of 5887 Old 05-26-2010, 08:30 AM

I have a question re: playback of an HD mkv file using the USB drive. Is it possible to have this play at 24 fps so that I can enable cinema smooth? Or does the TV need a 24fps signal over an HDMI port?

If the latter I'll just play the file from the home theater pc I have connected to the TV but it would have been nicer to play the file directly from USB at 24fps so that, for instance, I could use the TV remote to control playback and not have to pull out the wireless mouse/keyboard for the computer.
post #198 of 5887 Old 05-26-2010, 08:40 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocuMaker View Post

Yap.

Nice TV. Almost bought one once.

What settings are you using with AMP, if any at all? One of the presets or custom? How about when you are watching movies?

Could you be a little more specific in describing exactly what this motion smear consists of?

I probably would have given the b8500 a shot if it was still available at BB. Since this is an exchange, I have to get the TV if I choose to at BB.

Regarding the smear, it is independent of settings. I think I am much more knowledgeable than a novice (bit of a audiophile myself ), and I have tried every settings. The artifact happens with any settings on AMP and even off. I have even turned off every processing and I still see it. During motion (sometimes even moderate to slow), the adjacent colors tend to blur together a bit and/or I would see a trail or smear behind the moving image. It happens mostly on dark objects (like people's suit, head with dark hair, etc) against lighter backgrounds mostly brown/gray, etc. However, I have noticed that this smear is more pronounced when the subject is slightly off focus. Like for example, if someone's head is moving against a light brown wall and it is slightly out of focus (typical 24p movie blur), instead of seeing a normal blur at the trailing edge of his/her head, I would see a slight dark trail which is not normal. I have seen the same scene on a Sony LCD and it shows a normal blur and not a trailing effect. Similarly if someone's face is moving sideways and is slightly out of focus, the part of the lighter skin next to their hair looks darker than usual (due to the trailing effect from the darker hair) while the head is in motion and it immediately reverts back to the original lighter color when the head stops moving. Finally, when I watch hockey, I think the white ice background, exacerbates this issue, where I clearly see smearing/streaking of their jersey/helmet colors as they are skating from time to time. I see this mostly during movies because the situation I discussed shows up all the time in scenes. I have had all the electronics changed in my TV except the power supply and also went through two panels and the problem is still there. Therefore, I am convinced that it is a design artifact of this TV. Not sure, if it is a panel artifact or a processing artifact.

Typically I have every processing off, sharpness all the down and movie settings (I calirbrated using S&M disc) and AMP at blur 10 and judder 2 or 3. But like I said, it happens regardless of settings.
post #199 of 5887 Old 05-26-2010, 09:59 AM

Quote:

I have mine mounted real close to the wall using a Sanus LL11. I don't think that's it.

I agree.... it shouldn't be *it*, yet if you read the C8000 owners manual, Sam is *hinting* twice that wall mounting "can" make this "normal buzzing noise" worse! First, if the TV is mounted "too close to the wall" and second if it's "mounted improperly". The second is way too general, and open to dispute... what is the definition of "improperly mounted"?

The point is, the noise should NOT get ANY worse if it's wall mounted... period. Don't you agree?
post #200 of 5887 Old 05-26-2010, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by terminaldawn View Post

I can only hear my set buzz in the middle of the screen. Unfortunately this affects me because I sit dead center. Can you verify there is no buzz from the center of the screen?

Thanks!

I have returned 2 PN58C8000s due to buzzing issues. They were NOT wall mounted. The first had a very focused buzz along the center axis and sitting 2 feet either way off-axis, the buzz was almost silent. It could be heard 30 feet away. The second was worse. While the loudness was about the same level, the off-axis spread was much wider. Both sets' buzzing was definitely emanating from the front of screen, not the back. I tried putting padding behind the set just to see if that had any effect - but it had none.

I hear reports of some of these sets being perfectly silent but, for the following reason, you have to take any of those with a grain of salt....the reason being is that if you had asked just me, I would have said that both of my sets were totally silent. It was my significant other - followed by friends - that said they heard distinct, loud, annoying buzzing. I know I have high frequency hearing loss (only because I was a pilot in the Army and had to have my hearing checked every year) but it in no way effects my normal day-to-day living - meaning, it's not pronounced enough to be noticeable to me but it obviously filters out the buzz that everyone else that's been in front of my TVs has definitely heard. My sound meter also confirmed that there was a definite noise that increased in level as it moved to the center of the screen.

It's unfortunate because I really loved the sets otherwise.
post #201 of 5887 Old 05-26-2010, 10:31 AM

Hey Zak, you have a sound meter that detected the *buzz* from your Sammy? What was the frequency?

Sorry to hear that you had to return both.... what are you replacing the C8000 plasma with?
post #202 of 5887 Old 05-26-2010, 10:49 AM

I tried sitting positions in both of my couches, ( 12 ft at the farthest, and 4 feet at the closest spot) no buzzing. I do hear the "typical" plasma humm while I am connecting cables to the TV, and my head is close to the back panel. hope this helps.
post #203 of 5887 Old 05-26-2010, 11:13 AM

Quote:

Hey Zak, you have a sound meter that detected the *buzz* from your Sammy? What was the frequency?

Sorry to hear that you had to return both.... what are you replacing the C8000 plasma with?

My meter only measures loudness (SPL) not frequency, so I don't know what frequency the buzzes were at. Asking those that heard it how high it was they all said it was like an insect buzzing - should've asked was it like a fly, mosquito or gnat?....

In light of my experience with this year's Samsung plasmas and that the Pannies have their own issues, I've decided to give the LG 60PK550 a shot. At it's price, $1530, it's over $1K less than the c8000 and in that way if next year - or perhaps the year after - Samsung and/or Panasonic get their act together I won't bat an eye at repurchasing. It'll also give 3d time to firm up standards and release content.
post #204 of 5887 Old 05-26-2010, 11:48 AM

Quote:

Also keep in mind, movie is shot in 24 fps. So there will be lots of blur and some 24p judder because 24 fps is too slow a speed to resolve quick and even moderate motion. I am not saying everything is fine with the TV, but even on a TV with the best motion rez, you will see 24p blur and judder for movies.

Hey guys,

So, I did some more research and it looks like Samsung Plasma technology is really supposed to eliminate motion blur.

I'm almost 100% positive that what I'm experiencing is motion blur, because I see it when:

1) The character moves his/her head abruptly, or runs quickly down the stairs in the movie, etc
2) When the camera is panning and moving from one side to the other

It's almost as if the camera can't keep up with the motion... I never noticed this on any of my older (non-fancy) TV sets.

This effect happens on Verizon FiOS HD content, as well as blu-ray discs....

I have it in Movie mode with Motion Judder OFF. I've also tried enabling Cinema Smooth on Avatar blu-ray and I still notice the motion blur in certain scenes...

Anything that I could try here?
post #205 of 5887 Old 05-26-2010, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zakmichaels View Post

I have returned 2 PN58C8000s due to buzzing issues. They were NOT wall mounted. The first had a very focused buzz along the center axis and sitting 2 feet either way off-axis, the buzz was almost silent. It could be heard 30 feet away. The second was worse. While the loudness was about the same level, the off-axis spread was much wider. Both sets' buzzing was definitely emanating from the front of screen, not the back. I tried putting padding behind the set just to see if that had any effect - but it had none.

I hear reports of some of these sets being perfectly silent but, for the following reason, you have to take any of those with a grain of salt....the reason being is that if you had asked just me, I would have said that both of my sets were totally silent. It was my significant other - followed by friends - that said they heard distinct, loud, annoying buzzing. I know I have high frequency hearing loss (only because I was a pilot in the Army and had to have my hearing checked every year) but it in no way effects my normal day-to-day living - meaning, it's not pronounced enough to be noticeable to me but it obviously filters out the buzz that everyone else that's been in front of my TVs has definitely heard. My sound meter also confirmed that there was a definite noise that increased in level as it moved to the center of the screen.

It's unfortunate because I really loved the sets otherwise.

I wonder.. Maybe if they are wall mounted they are less likely to hum. the wall mount locations are 4 points on the back. Maybe they stabalize the screen better versus sitting on a stand.
post #206 of 5887 Old 05-26-2010, 12:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:

Can you elaborate on this please? I'm a little confused about what setting to change, and when?

That's the 3D setting in the TV's menu (1st menu on top, scroll down to the bottom to 3D). Once in the 3D menu there is a slider that is at 0 by default. You can use the slider to eliminate the halo around objects in a scene.

Though as you continue to watch the movie another scene will appear with ghosting (even though you thought you just fixed the ghosting problem). So, what are you gonna do, stop the movie everytime you see ghosting and make an adjustment? No, you adjust the slider to get the least amount of ghosting between a couple of scenes. That's the compromise as you will still see it but much less ghosting is present. That compromise proved to be the best I could do. Like I said, I could live with it but it would be nice if Samsung could find a way to eliminate it.
post #207 of 5887 Old 05-26-2010, 12:57 PM

Arrrrrggggg...

I just got around to hooking up the BD player thru my 2 year old receiver and my receiver cannot pass 1080p. I knew it couldn't do 3D but there aren't that many movies out in 3D yet so I didn't mind switching the cable. I guess I need to spend more money!
post #208 of 5887 Old 05-26-2010, 01:25 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Quote:

Hey guys,

So, I did some more research and it looks like Samsung Plasma technology is really supposed to eliminate motion blur.

I'm almost 100% positive that what I'm experiencing is motion blur, because I see it when:

1) The character moves his/her head abruptly, or runs quickly down the stairs in the movie, etc
2) When the camera is panning and moving from one side to the other

It's almost as if the camera can't keep up with the motion... I never noticed this on any of my older (non-fancy) TV sets.

This effect happens on Verizon FiOS HD content, as well as blu-ray discs....

I have it in Movie mode with Motion Judder OFF. I've also tried enabling Cinema Smooth on Avatar blu-ray and I still notice the motion blur in certain scenes...

Anything that I could try here?

At this point it seems like you tried everything. Can you go to a local store and see if you see the same thing on other sets?
post #209 of 5887 Old 05-26-2010, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by terminaldawn View Post

At this point it seems like you tried everything. Can you go to a local store and see if you see the same thing on other sets?

Yes, my local store doesn't have a PN58C8000 on display, but they do have another Samsung plasma on display that I will take a look at.

I also talked to a Samsung customer support rep and they told me that I shouldn't be seeing any motion blur due to the 600Hz processor. They offered to send out a technician but unfortunately I wasn't in front of the TV to give them a serial #, so I may call back later to schedule an appointment. But first I want to see if other TV's exhibit this behaviour.

Do you see anything like this on your PN63C8000? My wife claims that she doesn't see it... crap, hope it's not my eyes!
post #210 of 5887 Old 05-26-2010, 02:00 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Quote:

Yes, my local store doesn't have a PN58C8000 on display, but they do have another Samsung plasma on display that I will take a look at.

I also talked to a Samsung customer support rep and they told me that I shouldn't be seeing any motion blur due to the 600Hz processor. They offered to send out a technician but unfortunately I wasn't in front of the TV to give them a serial #, so I may call back later to schedule an appointment. But first I want to see if other TV's exhibit this behaviour.

Do you see anything like this on your PN63C8000? My wife claims that she doesn't see it... crap, hope it's not my eyes!

There there are long pans I swear the screen kind of jerks. But I havent seen anything that appears to be motion blur. Honestly even though I have had the set for almost a week. I have been super busy so have not had a lot of time to really evaluate it as much as I would like. Also I wanted to give a chance for the set to break-in. I just passed over 100 hours use so the set should be ready to go in that regards (I was hoping buzzing would reduce but no dice). I have Avatar on blu-ray so if you let me know a specific scene that you have noticed this blur or whatever I can take a look at it for you tonight.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung Pn50c8000 50 In 3d Hdtv Plasma Tv , Samsung Pn50c8000 50 Inch 1080p 3d Plasma Hdtv , Samsung Pn63c8000 63 Inch 1080p 3d Plasma Hdtv , Samsung Pn58c8000 58 Inch 1080p 3d Plasma Hdtv Black , Samsung Pn58c8000 58 3d Plasma Tv 16 9 Hdtv 1080p 58in Ws Plasma 1080p 3d Ready 600hz 4 Hdmi Ultra S
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page