*The Official Samsung PNxxC8000 Owner's Discussion Thread!! - Page 9 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #241 of 5882 Old 05-27-2010, 12:10 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by skooba View Post

when did you place your order?

I placed my pre-order on Apr-28.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #242 of 5882 Old 05-27-2010, 12:23 PM

Liked: 11
Exciting that they are already shipping!

I have three questions for you guys:
1. I assuming loud buzzing is covered under the return policy?
2. In regards to mounting: would a regular mount be a benefit from a slim mount (closer to wall), since theoretically, it would give you more room to tilt?
3. How far up the wall are you guys mounting these?
post #243 of 5882 Old 05-27-2010, 02:39 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhinoballz View Post

Everyone, our couch is 9ft from our TV (currently a 58inch plasma). I want to get the 63 inch but worry about it being 'too large' in frame and also the change to expose the pixels/grainness to us during playback. Also, the 58inch price is 1k less than the 63. Is is worth it to get those 5 extra inches?

I have a 63 inch and sit 9 ft back. Its great and wouldnt mind a bit bigger I see no grain on HD material. I dont watch anything in SD anymore so dont care. THX actually reccomends sitting 7 ft away from a 63 inch.

Check this link out.

http://myhometheater.homestead.com/v...alculator.html
post #244 of 5882 Old 05-27-2010, 02:59 PM

Got a call from Nick today while at work. Checked my voicemail on the way home and he said they had the tv in stock ready to go! He said they will be shipping out the tv tomorrow. I ordered on 5/16.
post #245 of 5882 Old 05-27-2010, 03:04 PM

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by skooba View Post

Got a call from Nick today while at work. Checked my voicemail on the way home and he said they had the tv in stock ready to go! He said they will be shipping out the tv tomorrow. I ordered on 5/16.

CRAP!!! You beat me by like 2 days!!!! That sucks...at any rate they said they'll be getting more in at the beginning of next week and the remaining pre-orders will be taken care of then.
post #246 of 5882 Old 05-27-2010, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topless Stang View Post

CRAP!!! You beat me by like 2 days!!!! That sucks...at any rate they said they'll be getting more in at the beginning of next week and the remaining pre-orders will be taken care of then.

NEWSFLASH!!!

If you have a pre-order with ABT you may need to call them. I called Nick and he had to get my CC number again for the payment. Mine will be shipping tomorrow!!!!! According to him they got a lot in....so it may be worth your while to call in...
post #247 of 5882 Old 05-27-2010, 04:01 PM

So I finally had time to spend with my PN58C8000 and played some gears of war 2 on it. But during the levels something freaky started to happen with the black levels on the TV.
I have set on standard.

where i noticed that the blacks were white washed and looked blue:

Pic 1

Pressed Pause on they were fine again:

Pic 2

Resumed and the screen the blacks looked blue were black again:

Pic 3

15 sec later they went back to being washed out and blue:

Pic 4

Someone please help explain what is going on. Seriously I was in love with this TV but now this is scaring me a bit.
LL
LL
LL
LL
post #248 of 5882 Old 05-27-2010, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by indy1298 View Post

So I finally had time to spend with my PN58C8000 and played some gears of war 2 on it. But during the levels something freaky started to happen with the black levels on the TV.
I have set on standard.

Pic 1

Pic 2

Pic 3

Pic 4

Someone please help explain what is going on. Seriously I was in love with this TV but now this is scaring me a bit.

I'd be more inclined to think it may be your 360. Before it goes completely the graphics chip begins to experience problems. I'd do dome tests with a different source like a bluray before you suspect the TV. How long have you had your 360?
post #249 of 5882 Old 05-27-2010, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topless Stang View Post

I'd be more inclined to think it may be your 360. Before it goes completely the graphics chip begins to experience problems. I'd do dome tests with a different source like a bluray before you suspect the TV. How long have you had your 360?

Yea... sorry for the false alarm. I went into video settings in the game and turned the brightness down and the blacks were ok again. Still kinda weird though.
post #250 of 5882 Old 05-27-2010, 05:44 PM

I'm enjoying it! Can't seem to figure out a problem with getting Pandora to run, but that seems to be my only issue right now. Love mantis boxer's calibration settings!

I have this TV right next to a very large window with a sliding glass door and in the evening, I can watch TV without any reflections causing problems. The Real Black Filter is doing its job. I'm having blackout shades installed anyway. I've got about 90 hours on this TV and have played several hours of Wii with no IR. Very slight "buzz" that's really more of a hum.
LL
LL
post #251 of 5882 Old 05-27-2010, 05:45 PM

I seem to be having a problem with my TV changing input source when the BD player turns off. Stranger yet, it happens when I'm not even using it

Here's the setup...

I've got the BD player and Dish box both going to the AVR using high speed HDMI. Then HDMI to the tv HDMI (ARC) input. While watching the dish box if I turn on then off the BD player the TV will switch to antenna source.

Anyone else seen this?
post #252 of 5882 Old 05-27-2010, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erickson00 View Post

I'm enjoying it! Can't seem to figure out a problem with getting Pandora to run, but that seems to be my only issue right now. Love mantis boxer's calibration settings!

where did you get these setting?

never mind. I found the thread.
post #253 of 5882 Old 05-27-2010, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank3030 View Post
where did you get these setting?
There's a large thread that covers all the Samsung plasmas - it's buried in there somewhere. I copied them to Word...here you go! You're supposed to break in your TV first on a low contrast, low brightness setting for 100 hours or so first. Use the settings in RED if you have upgraded to the latest firmware.

Samsung Plasma Calibration Settings.doc 28k . file
Attached Files
File Type: doc Samsung Plasma Calibration Settings.doc (28.0 KB, 6 views)
post #254 of 5882 Old 05-27-2010, 07:36 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by indy1298 View Post

I have set on standard.

Pic 1

Pic 2

Pic 3

Pic 4

Thats a problem with the game itself dont worry about it. That was discussed quite a bit in the Xbox360 forum when the game was still relatively new. That scene looks blue no matter what tv you're using.
post #255 of 5882 Old 05-28-2010, 03:21 AM

To Erikson00

You didn`t copy my setup design and furniture did you?even your choise of vase looks almost identical to mine except my TV unit is white.
post #256 of 5882 Old 05-28-2010, 05:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkyman View Post

To Erikson00

You didn`t copy my setup design and furniture did you?even your choise of vase looks almost identical to mine except my TV unit is white.

Haha, that's awesome! No, I didn't copy...I had the console from American Signature furniture and thought white accessories would look great. I was in West Elm and saw those white vases and knew they would look great. The walls in that room are shades of gray. i still haven't finished it, over three months after buying this house. I like your console - the white looks nice. Contemporary is definitely the way to go.
post #257 of 5882 Old 05-28-2010, 06:20 AM

Guys, got my PN50 C8000 yesterday, not a scratch on it! They did a great job of taking great care while shipping it out. The box looked like came straight from Samsung, not even a little bit of dust! I was really worried about a cracked screen like some others have mentioned.

Pictures looks INSANE! I am very happy I bought this TV, colors are a bit bright but I will just need to sit down and do some tweaking. No dead pixels and the blacks look fantastic but I am no video phile so take it for what it's worth. NO BUZZING, none, notta....my wife and I both tried to listen for it. We cut the volume all the way down on the TV, the rest of the house was dead quite. I don't even hear a high pitch hum like my 46" Sceptre had. So I am happy to report my PN50 C8000 has 0 hum or buzz. I don't have a great camera but I will post some pics later when I get off work.

A big shoutout to Abes of Maine for shipping out quickly and with great care. Plus they had one of the lowest prices on the web and threw in a free 36"-60" wall mount which I will be using for my 46" Sceptre that is going upstairs in my bedroom. More to come....
post #258 of 5882 Old 05-28-2010, 07:54 AM

We received our PN58C8000 on May 18th through best buy and love it except for one item.

Has anyone else noticed occasional shuttering or jittering around people when they walk across the screen or kind of a halo effect when streaming netflix. My broadband internet is wired direct to the tv and starts quickely. Our other tv, a 2 year old 42" sony seems fine and its streams netflix through a samsung blueray 3600 player. Which I also hooked uo to the samsung tv and had the same jittering in the same spots on the movies.

Everything else, blueray dvd, regular dvd, cable, youtube look great. I would hate to return it, but ...

It seems it can be the limitations of netflix on such a high definition tv or somehow faulty or out of adjustment circuitry on the tv which deals with netflix only. Dunno

A samsung tech on another site suggested this was "It's likely due to streaming limitations, or how the movie was coded into a streaming file. Because the resolution is reduced for streaming purposes, some of the artifacting can be apparent in the final transmission. "

Like I said it doesn't happen all the time but I would like to know other peoples experiences.
post #259 of 5882 Old 05-28-2010, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erocs View Post

We received our PN58C8000 on May 18th through best buy and love it except for one item.

Has anyone else noticed occasional shuttering or jittering around people when they walk across the screen or kind of a halo effect when streaming netflix. My broadband internet is wired direct to the tv and starts quickely. Our other tv, a 2 year old 42" sony seems fine and its streams netflix through a samsung blueray 3600 player. Which I also hooked uo to the samsung tv and had the same jittering in the same spots on the movies.

Everything else, blueray dvd, regular dvd, cable, youtube look great. I would hate to return it, but ...

It seems it can be the limitations of netflix on such a high definition tv or somehow faulty or out of adjustment circuitry on the tv which deals with netflix only. Dunno

A samsung tech on another site suggested this was "It's likely due to streaming limitations, or how the movie was coded into a streaming file. Because the resolution is reduced for streaming purposes, some of the artifacting can be apparent in the final transmission. "

Like I said it doesn't happen all the time but I would like to know other peoples experiences.

Hello erocs,

We also have the PN58C8000 and also notice something like this, but it happens on blu-rays, regular HD shows, etc. I'm not sure if we are talking about the same thing (I keep calling it motion blur), but if you have the Avatar 3D could you also try the following (posted earlier - it's like the camera is out of of focus or can't keep up):

"Okay guys, I'm back at home now and was able to do a few tests with the Avatar blu-ray disc.

Can those of you with PN58C/PN63C/PN50C 8000's do the following:

1) Insert your Avatar disc.
2) Put the TV in BD-WISE or MOVIE mode.
3) Put it on Cinema Smooth Mode (motion judder canceller OFF)

Go to the following time in the disc (during the You're Not In Kansas Anymore chapter):
6:55

You'll see the commander walk down the hall and turn his head around. THAT's where I see the motion blur. I actually had my wife look at this scene and she doesn't call it blur, but rather judder/jumpiness. Can you guys please confirm that you see the same thing?

NEXT:

Please view the same scene with Cinema Smooth mode OFF and Motion Judder Canceller set to STANDARD. During this mode, my wife and I agreed that the same judder/blur wasn't there / nearly as bad!

Can you guys please try this? Is this normal?!"

Thanks!

Ryan
post #260 of 5882 Old 05-28-2010, 08:29 AM

Hello ryantiguan,

I've read and tried all different settings on the judder control including off and theirs no noticeable difference. The cinema smooth option is grayed out for netflix play. It seems its only an option for movies.

We haven't watched 3D movies and don't plan to. We just liked the picture quality, features, price, and samsung seems to be improving its stand in the market these last few years. We got a good price on the tv but really couldn't justify the prices of the 3d glasses or movies (3d starter kit not included with the sale price). Besides when we looked at the 3d tv's in the store and all but one of the 3d glasses were malfunctioning. Not a confidence builder. Maybe they just didn't have them charged. Go figure.

Sorry I can't confirm about the scenes in the Avatar movie. Its was our favorite 3d movie at the theater though and if we go with the 3d in the future probably our first choice.

I went to the netflix site and their info seems to confirm what the "samsung tech" said.

"Q: How does my Internet connection affect picture quality of movies I watch instantly?
A:

To watch movies instantly via your PC or Netflix Ready device, we recommend a broadband connection providing at least 1.5 Mbps. The faster your connection, the better the quality. For DVD quality video and audio, you need a connection providing at least 3.0 Mbps.

Your connection speed will rise and fall depending on network usage in your home and conditions at your Internet Service Provider. "

Our speed according to the tv widget tools is anywhere from 1.5 mps to half that. So maybe those scenes that are borderline just become more noticeable on such a big screen with high quality definition.

Our other tv's are smaller lcd's (42's) and I can almost see the same effect but not nearly a noticeably as with the new plasma 8000.

Just wish others could either confirm or deny this as being normal.
post #261 of 5882 Old 05-28-2010, 09:20 AM

is there a black level or pq difference between the c7000 and the c8000 plasma? I know there is a feature difference with the MJC but i was planning to get the firmware 8000 update of the 7000 tv. But if the pq and blacks are better on the 8000 ill go to that... thanks in advance!
post #262 of 5882 Old 05-28-2010, 09:35 AM

Hello,
What about imput lag for this tv?
Somebody use the C8000 with videogame?
post #263 of 5882 Old 05-28-2010, 10:04 AM

I just went online to see ABT had changed the status of the PN63C8000 to "available" so I decided to call and check if its actually in stock. Nick confirmed they have stock currently so I pulled the trigger.
post #264 of 5882 Old 05-28-2010, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erocs View Post

That sumsung tech is probably right. The video coming from netflix and blockbuster is not HD (and it's stereo!). your TV is working hard to make it HD and may have trouble now and then.
post #265 of 5882 Old 05-28-2010, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kompressor77 View Post

Hello,
What about imput lag for this tv?
Somebody use the C8000 with videogame?

I had some bad issues with the lag on this set until I switched it to Game Mode. I tried both my PS3 and 360 connected with HDMI to my Denon receiver, which then ran an HDMI to the TV. On both systems, there was major input lag. I tried playing Rock Band 2 and would fail like every song with my old settings. I re-calibrated (I don't have the RB2 guitar so I couldn't do the auto calibration), but the video portion ended up being 100-110 ms delay on average. I did it about 10 times to make sure. However, when I played the game, it didn't seem like that worked, as if it was TOO much delay. I manually cranked it back down to like 50 and was able to strum just before and after a note and have it still count. When the delay was set to 100, I had to strum after the note had passed for it to count, which is incorrect.

Also, when I jumped on my 360 to play Modern Warfare 2, I IMMEDIATELY noticed lag when moving my right stick to look around. I've played that game like every day for the past 5 months so I knew what to expect when moving my character and aiming should feel like. It felt like a good quarter second at least, which is basically unplayable in a game like that.

However, I found the Game Mode setting and once I turned that on, everything was good again. I re-did the Rock Band 2 calibration and it went from 100 down to 25, which I still had to adjust even lower, down to like 15 for it to feel "right". Call of Duty feels like it did when I played on my old TV, so yeah, definitely use GAME MODE for your consoles.

The only draw back is that it's locked to being in Standard mode, so if you REALLY like the picture quality on Cal-Day, Cal-Night, or Movie, you won't be able to use those while Game Mode is on. It doesn't effect me as I calibrated my set to my liking in Standard mode anyways and all the options I used were still available to me in Game Mode (also of note, you can not have the de-jutter mode turned on while in Game Mode either, but you CAN have Cinema Smooth on when the TV detects a 1080p/24 signal for Blu Rays).
post #266 of 5882 Old 05-28-2010, 12:47 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingfan191 View Post

I had some bad issues with the lag on this set until I switched it to Game Mode. I tried both my PS3 and 360 connected with HDMI to my Denon receiver, which then ran an HDMI to the TV. On both systems, there was major input lag. I tried playing Rock Band 2 and would fail like every song with my old settings. I re-calibrated (I don't have the RB2 guitar so I couldn't do the auto calibration), but the video portion ended up being 100-110 ms delay on average. I did it about 10 times to make sure. However, when I played the game, it didn't seem like that worked, as if it was TOO much delay. I manually cranked it back down to like 50 and was able to strum just before and after a note and have it still count. When the delay was set to 100, I had to strum after the note had passed for it to count, which is incorrect.

Also, when I jumped on my 360 to play Modern Warfare 2, I IMMEDIATELY noticed lag when moving my right stick to look around. I've played that game like every day for the past 5 months so I knew what to expect when moving my character and aiming should feel like. It felt like a good quarter second at least, which is basically unplayable in a game like that.

However, I found the Game Mode setting and once I turned that on, everything was good again. I re-did the Rock Band 2 calibration and it went from 100 down to 25, which I still had to adjust even lower, down to like 15 for it to feel "right". Call of Duty feels like it did when I played on my old TV, so yeah, definitely use GAME MODE for your consoles.

The only draw back is that it's locked to being in Standard mode, so if you REALLY like the picture quality on Cal-Day, Cal-Night, or Movie, you won't be able to use those while Game Mode is on. It doesn't effect me as I calibrated my set to my liking in Standard mode anyways and all the options I used were still available to me in Game Mode (also of note, you can not have the de-jutter mode turned on while in Game Mode either, but you CAN have Cinema Smooth on when the TV detects a 1080p/24 signal for Blu Rays).

yes use game mode for games ... and turn it off for movies and tv
post #267 of 5882 Old 05-28-2010, 01:32 PM

Liked: 11
ABT called today and will be delivering my 63c8000 on Tuesday!
I would really appreciate input on mounts from you guys (I still wonder if having a standard tilt mount would be better than a slimmer one to give you more room to tilt?)
post #268 of 5882 Old 05-28-2010, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by socwrkr View Post

ABT called today and will be delivering my 63c8000 on Tuesday!
I would really appreciate input on mounts from you guys (I still wonder if having a standard tilt mount would be better than a slimmer one to give you more room to tilt?)

In my opinion, the only reason you would ever need to tilt the TV is if you must mount it over a fireplace or considerably higher than eye level. Why not just mount it so the center of the screen is 4-5 feet from the floor, which would be an ideal, eye-level height for most people sitting on a couch or chair? I prefer a slim mount, otherwise, the sexy slim design of the TV isn't as dramatic. I mounted mine slightly higher than eye level from a seated position so it can be seen from the kitchen table behind the couch, over the heads of people who might be watching it while seated on the couch.
post #269 of 5882 Old 05-28-2010, 02:53 PM

Hey has anyone been able to play .mkv files on the TV when streaming from the computer? I just cant seem to get it to work. In the manual it says the TV supports almost all major codecs so I dont really understand when it is not working.
post #270 of 5882 Old 05-28-2010, 03:22 PM
Advanced Member

i had the same thing happen to me with people walking across the screen there would be a halo around there head and a lot of judder what i did was turn off the Motion Judder and it is no gone
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung Pn50c8000 50 In 3d Hdtv Plasma Tv , Samsung Pn50c8000 50 Inch 1080p 3d Plasma Hdtv , Samsung Pn63c8000 63 Inch 1080p 3d Plasma Hdtv , Samsung Pn58c8000 58 Inch 1080p 3d Plasma Hdtv Black , Samsung Pn58c8000 58 3d Plasma Tv 16 9 Hdtv 1080p 58in Ws Plasma 1080p 3d Ready 600hz 4 Hdmi Ultra S
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page