*The Official Samsung PNxxC8000 Owner's Discussion Thread!! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5882 Old 05-20-2010, 10:14 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 15
*Welcome to the only "dedicated" thread for Samsung's new 2010 8000 series 3D plasma. Please feel free to add photos, tips, tweaks, etc.

*Here's the direct link to the owner's manual;

http://downloadcenter.samsung.com/co...04L03-0507.pdf

*From Samsung's website;

"With Samsung’s PN50C8000, PN58C8000, and PN63C8000 Plasma HDTV you’re not just watching the action on screen, you’re part of it. Thanks to the wonder of revolutionary 3D Plasma Plus technology, car chases and home runs leap off the screen like never before. And web-connected Samsung Apps turn your TV into an all-in-one entertainment hub where you can stream movies, flip through photos and more right from your Samsung television. Action-packed sports are also realistically smooth with 600Hz Subfield Motion and Real Black Filter delivers sharp scenes in any light. It’s Plasma TV, reinvented."

*PN50C8000 support page;
http://www.samsung.com/us/support/de...me=PN50C8000YF

*PN58C8000 support page;

http://www.samsung.com/us/support/de...me=PN58C8000YF

*PN63C8000 support page;

http://www.samsung.com/us/consumer/t...il&tab=support

*The current firmware is 1035 (Released 02/21/2011)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5882 Old 05-20-2010, 10:19 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sound & Vision View Post

With Samsung's PN50C8000, PN58C8000, and PN63C8000 Plasma HDTV you're not just watching the action on screen, you're part of it. Thanks to the wonder of revolutionary 3D Plasma Plus technology, car chases and home runs leap off the screen like never before. And web-connected Samsung Apps turn your TV into an all-in-one entertainment hub where you can stream movies, flip through photos and more right from your Samsung television. Action-packed sports are also realistically smooth with 600Hz Subfield Motion and Real Black Filter delivers sharp scenes in any light. It's Plasma TV, reinvented.

*PN50C8000 support page;
http://www.samsung.com/us/support/de...me=PN50C8000YF

*PN58C8000 support page;

http://www.samsung.com/us/support/de...me=PN58C8000YF

*PN63C8000 support page;

http://www.samsung.com/us/consumer/t...il&tab=support

Thanks!
I'll post some pictures, soon......again.
post #3 of 5882 Old 05-20-2010, 10:29 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectronicTonic View Post

Thanks!
I'll post some pictures, soon......again.

That would be Great!
post #4 of 5882 Old 05-20-2010, 10:38 AM
Advanced Member

Pics....

[IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG]
post #5 of 5882 Old 05-20-2010, 10:41 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have mine on pre-order from ABT, should be about 2-3 weeks.

Can anyone recommend a cheap/effective mount, specifically, one from monoprice? (for the 63" model)
post #6 of 5882 Old 05-20-2010, 10:46 AM

Nice setup Tonic, and very nice C8000. But please do tell... what is the purpose of the foam rubber under your towers?
post #7 of 5882 Old 05-20-2010, 10:49 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironmagz View Post

Nice setup Tonic, and very nice C8000. But please do tell... what is the purpose of the foam rubber under your towers?

I will have to do something similar i'm sure ... i am guessing this is an apt/condo and they have down stairs neighbors . That will help stop the base from going right to the floor and shaking/bugging the hell out of them
post #8 of 5882 Old 05-20-2010, 10:53 AM

Has anyone converted from the LED 8000 to the plasma 8000 or compared side-by-side and willing to comment on their experiences? I have the UN8000 (LED) currently and the picture is good, but I am having a hard time getting past the viewing angle washout. My problem is I have a very bright room, my wife does not like to watch in the dark, and the LED has no problem producing a bright picture and maintaining its blacks in this env. Does anyone have the PN8000 in a bright room and can comment on how well its picture quality holds up? I have two more weeks on my 30 days with the UN8000 and just trying to decide if I should give the plasma a shot. Thanks
post #9 of 5882 Old 05-20-2010, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skooba View Post

I have mine on pre-order from ABT, should be about 2-3 weeks.

Can anyone recommend a cheap/effective mount, specifically, one from monoprice? (for the 63" model)

I bought a LAM 45 from mountsmadesimple.com. I am going to put it up next week when my buddy gets in town. It is an articulating single arm mount that lets u move TV in every direction. They no longer carry it, but carry the LAM 50 double arm mount which is a little more. Heard good things about it. Will post review once i have mine mounted. I am waiting for a buddy who is coming in town next week before I attempt the mount.
post #10 of 5882 Old 05-20-2010, 11:38 AM

Quote:

Non calibrated pics....

[IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG]

Congratulations !
i have the 50c7000 since saturday but those extra 8 inches look really good !
post #11 of 5882 Old 05-20-2010, 01:09 PM

I'm thinking about buying the pN63C8000. However, my kids want me to get a Samsung LED so that I can crank the motion judder canceller up to at least 8 for their animated movies. It really makes the picture "pop". How is the motion judder canceller on the plasma? Does the frame interpolation technology work well? Can you tell a difference between "standard" and "smooth"? Does setting the motion judder canceller on "smooth" look similar to setting a Samsung LED motion judder canceller at a high number, like 8 or above? Thanks!
post #12 of 5882 Old 05-20-2010, 06:00 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironmagz View Post

Thanks,

Sound isolation, I have a small home studio, and had some extra....so I thought I would give it a try. I think it actually works.
post #13 of 5882 Old 05-20-2010, 06:03 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIGUELCM7 View Post

Congratulations !
i have the 50c7000 since saturday but those extra 8 inches look really good !

Thanks,
I'm coming from a Sony 52"XBR4, but the extra 6" is pretty nice.
post #14 of 5882 Old 05-20-2010, 06:38 PM

Liked: 11
I don't suppose we could have some of the 8000 settings moved to his thread as well? Glad you guys started a dedicated thread!
post #15 of 5882 Old 05-20-2010, 06:53 PM
Advanced Member

how is the buzz on it i have the 63 inch i can hear a buzz coming from the front screen. also i dont like the 2d to 3d the pic looks a wave to me. also the pic does not go to the edge of the screen on the left side like it does on the right side i hate this tv i am so glad i am able to return it i am going to wait for the panny or lg plazma
post #16 of 5882 Old 05-20-2010, 07:21 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by runner66 View Post

how is the buzz on it i have the 63 inch i can hear a buzz coming from the front screen. also i dont like the 2d to 3d the pic looks a wave to me. also the pic does not go to the edge of the screen on the left side like it does on the right side i hate this tv i am so glad i am able to return it i am going to wait for the panny or lg plazma

The buzz isn't too bad, but it's there. "the pic does not go to the edge of the screen on the left side like it does on the right side". You have to turn "off" the pixel shift. I had the same problem, but turning off the pixel shift solved this. Sorry you don't like the TV.
post #17 of 5882 Old 05-20-2010, 07:26 PM
Advanced Member

were is pixel shift i thought i did that many it was something eles were did u find it
post #18 of 5882 Old 05-20-2010, 07:32 PM
Advanced Member

i just tryed it the bottom of the screen still shows a even line of black the top is not to bad the right side is good but the top of the left side there is black but as i look down it starts to curve in untill it hits the bootom it curves out again
post #19 of 5882 Old 05-20-2010, 07:43 PM

Wow, I didn't know there were two C8000 threads.... well I hope the mods will allow this redux....

My new PN63C8000 is on order... and I'm counting the seconds... Have had the opportunity to play around with a brand new display model at my local Best Buy..... I must say, out of the box on std. setting the picture was simply fantastic for a Samsung Plasma. D-max was excellent. And after we performed a rough calibration (the store was empty and the boss had already left) I was BLOWN AWAY! Black levels were just shy of my old Kuro. The images were so crisp and the shadow detail was just outstanding.

There was no hum... no buzz... nothing like last years model. The set was the thinnest Plasma I have ever seen. The build quality was superb... Plus the radiating heat was almost completely absent from the scene.... wow! I ran right home and ordered one ASAP!

Now I did detect a bit of video noise when observed close-up (during Avatar) but I blamed their set up and not the set since every set in the room had the same noise.
post #20 of 5882 Old 05-20-2010, 07:51 PM

Quote:

Man..... you must be kidding! All CRT's and Plasmas hum.... it's in the nature of the beast.... My Kuro even buzzed... but this unit is silent when compared to last years Sammies, besides the new LG's blow IMO! Read page 19 of your owners manual and have the set calibrated.... then decide.
post #21 of 5882 Old 05-20-2010, 07:58 PM
Advanced Member

no i am not kidding i said buzz not hum
post #22 of 5882 Old 05-20-2010, 08:12 PM

Quote:

no i am not kidding i said buzz not hum

Okay... please list the set's setting........ how do you have it set-up... and be honest. And how do you have it mounted?
post #23 of 5882 Old 05-20-2010, 08:24 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by craiglc15 View Post

I'm thinking about buying the pN63C8000. However, my kids want me to get a Samsung LED so that I can crank the motion judder canceller up to at least 8 for their animated movies. It really makes the picture "pop". How is the motion judder canceller on the plasma? Does the frame interpolation technology work well? Can you tell a difference between "standard" and "smooth"? Does setting the motion judder canceller on "smooth" look similar to setting a Samsung LED motion judder canceller at a high number, like 8 or above? Thanks!

The judder reduction works great for animation and for discovery channel documentaries.. Either on standard or smooth.. I prefer smooth. However, when turned on for CATV movies it adds blury ghosting to fast moving people.. When turned off all is fine and there is no judder. So this may be a conflict of interest when your trying to use it and it's not needed. For BD/DVD movies use CinemaSmooth w/24fps.. This is super smooth and no flicker or motion artifacts.. The judder reduction is greyed out cause there is no judder. The CinemaSmooth chip handles the processing at 96hz. I hopes this helps. This TV has a host of options (some not explained very well), and when used under the wrong conditions can actually make the picture look worse. You could say it's all trial and error. But in the end the picture will look great!
post #24 of 5882 Old 05-20-2010, 08:29 PM

Here is some pics of my pn63c8000 and setup.
LL
LL
LL
LL
LL
post #25 of 5882 Old 05-20-2010, 08:42 PM

Hey guys,

I wanted to ask a question about motion blur / eye fatigue. We have our PN58C8000 about 5ft - 6ft. away from the couch (viewing distance). We are using Movie mode with Motion Judder Control turned off.

We have Verizon FiOS, and we notice that when we watch HD movies (e.g., Cinemax, etc) that the picture quality is awesome, however if the person begins to walk or move around fairly fast, it gives a somewhat slightly blurred effect or motion/eye fatigue. I am sure I am not describing it accurately.

Is this normal with these settings on the PN58C8000 and such a short viewing distance?

Thanks!
post #26 of 5882 Old 05-20-2010, 09:31 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryantiguan View Post

Hey guys,

I wanted to ask a question about motion blur / eye fatigue. We have our PN58C8000 about 5ft - 6ft. away from the couch (viewing distance). We are using Movie mode with Motion Judder Control turned off.

We have Verizon FiOS, and we notice that when we watch HD movies (e.g., Cinemax, etc) that the picture quality is awesome, however if the person begins to walk or move around fairly fast, it gives a somewhat slightly blurred effect or motion/eye fatigue. I am sure I am not describing it accurately.

Is this normal with these settings on the PN58C8000 and such a short viewing distance?

Thanks!

With Comcast I get some pixelation on fast moving scenes.. This is on every TV in the house.. Besides that the picture is perfectly clear.. Comcast told me it was due to "compression" of the signal that they have to use to get all the HD channels to fit. My friend has the same issue. Comcast considers this normal. I'm use to it. If it doesn't happen during a regular DVD.. Then I would suspect the cable box.. Check your catv in-coming resolution when you notice it happening.. Just hit info button on the TV's remote.. I have my Comcast box locked at 720p.. It seems to work best at that.. Google your fios box's model number and look for a discussion board for it. You most likely find out how to change the box's resolution and other features as well. As for this being normal? Not sure as I can't actually see it. But make sure your TV's firmware is updated to the current 1019. If you have another fios box try it. Make sure your useing decent A/V cables. A bad crimp on a cable wire can effect the quality of the signal as well.
post #27 of 5882 Old 05-20-2010, 09:55 PM
Advanced Member

I don't know if this has been mentioned, but there's a cool free app on iTunes. Just type in Samsung remote, or something. Just make sure your TV is connected to your network, it's pretty cool.

P.S. it only works for 2010 models. The app is called "TV Remote", "samsung electronics co.ltd."
post #28 of 5882 Old 05-21-2010, 04:32 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I don't know if this has been mentioned, but there's a cool free app on iTunes. Just type in Samsung remote, or something. Just make sure your TV is connected to your network, it's pretty cool.

P.S. it only works for 2010 models. The app is called "TV Remote", "samsung electronics co.ltd."

Just downloaded it to my iPhone. Thanks.
post #29 of 5882 Old 05-21-2010, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sound & Vision View Post

With Comcast I get some pixelation on fast moving scenes.. This is on every TV in the house.. Besides that the picture is perfectly clear.. Comcast told me it was due to "compression" of the signal that they have to use to get all the HD channels to fit. My friend has the same issue. Comcast considers this normal. I'm use to it. If it doesn't happen during a regular DVD.. Then I would suspect the cable box.. Check your catv in-coming resolution when you notice it happening.. Just hit info button on the TV's remote.. I have my Comcast box locked at 720p.. It seems to work best at that.. Google your fios box's model number and look for a discussion board for it. You most likely find out how to change the box's resolution and other features as well. As for this being normal? Not sure as I can't actually see it. But make sure your TV's firmware is updated to the current 1019. If you have another fios box try it. Make sure your useing decent A/V cables. A bad crimp on a cable wire can effect the quality of the signal as well.

Sound&Vision,

Thanks for the response. I also am now starting to think that it's just an artifact of the Verizon FiOS. I've noticed that when the camera is up-close on someone's face or something, the picture is VERY smooth and there is no blur/eye fatigue. However, when the camera zooms out a bit and there is motion, it can seem a bit "blurry" to my eyes... not really judder/pixelation. It's hard to describe, actually.

I really don't notice this when we have a blu-ray disc in there, e.g. Avatar.

I wonder if it's because the viewing distance for me is only like 6ft? This is also my first HD tv.

Ryan
post #30 of 5882 Old 05-21-2010, 07:37 AM

Quick update for those who pre-ordered from Abt:
It is confirmed that Samsung has delayed their shipment for the PN63C8000 model.
They are told 1st or 2nd week of June.
That translates to 3rd week of June for us to receive these babies.
Further, it translates to missing out most of the World Cup 2010 games in 3D (if you were waiting for this).
Who would pricematch Abt's price? I live in California and Abt isn't a "local" competitor.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung Pn50c8000 50 In 3d Hdtv Plasma Tv , Samsung Pn50c8000 50 Inch 1080p 3d Plasma Hdtv , Samsung Pn63c8000 63 Inch 1080p 3d Plasma Hdtv , Samsung Pn58c8000 58 Inch 1080p 3d Plasma Hdtv Black , Samsung Pn58c8000 58 3d Plasma Tv 16 9 Hdtv 1080p 58in Ws Plasma 1080p 3d Ready 600hz 4 Hdmi Ultra S
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page