Zenith 50pj240 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 57 Old 05-27-2010, 06:13 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Does anyone have any information this plasma. I have heard it is a rebadged LG 50PK350. The Zenith website has no information, so it makes me believe it is an ophan.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 57 Old 05-27-2010, 06:36 PM

i just google that tv in never no information came up
post #3 of 57 Old 05-27-2010, 06:45 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by geobhurd View Post

Does anyone have any information this plasma. I have heard it is a rebadged LG 50PK350. The Zenith website has no information, so it makes me believe it is an ophan.

Basically a rebadged LG 50PK350
post #4 of 57 Old 05-27-2010, 07:01 PM

Yes, I do have some valuable information on this TV. Don't buy it. It's a Zenith.
post #5 of 57 Old 05-27-2010, 07:43 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabolino View Post

Yes, I do have some valuable information on this TV. Don't buy it. It's a Zenith.

Thanks for the insightful review.
post #6 of 57 Old 06-13-2010, 08:39 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Just bought one and let me tell you, 720p or not it is dirt cheap for a 50" TV. They were snapping these up in droves today at Sears. I went there very late this afternoon during their friends and family event. One of the clerks claimed he made several hundred dollars in commissions on it alone. The store was mostly empty by the time I got there but there were 3 people buying this thing right in front of me, site unseen. One guy goes up and goes I want that cheap plasma and I need it before father's day, the clerk said no problem they're sold out and coming on Tuesday's truck. I actually went there to measure it and look at it, because I had checked the stock online and knew they were already sold out before I even got there, didn't even take the truck, figured I'd buy it online instead and pick up later.

Actually appears to have a decent set of features for the price, 3 HDMIs, optical out, two component etc. Supports 24p sources, wide color gamut etc. Aside from being 720p it looked to have a fairly decent picture in store running a Sharp Aquos demo Blu-ray of all things. Also extremely thin for the price range for those looking for a thin TV, doesn't matter too much in my setup, I have a strange unit with a large wood upright back that mounts the set close to the wall but not on it.

I'll run some in home calibrations on it when it gets here and let you know how it looks. It is to replace my 1080p 42" Insignia LCD, which while nice is irritating in the fact that like most LCDs has uneven enough backlighting to become irritating espeically when you get used to the uniformity of a good plasma, plus the viewing angle is no great shakes. Honestly my cheaper Emerson plasma looks so much better than the Insignia I was tempted to switch them several times already. Following this upgrade, the Insignia gets relegated to the computer room, old iLo goes to my stepson's room, and the older Insignia gets wall mounted in the breezeway.
post #7 of 57 Old 06-13-2010, 08:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Zenith..... damn, I would buy that TV just to have the logo.... lol. Maybe I'll buy a Zenith logo off ebay and stick it on the front of my TV, or better yet replace the Toyota logo on my car with the Zenith logo.
post #8 of 57 Old 06-13-2010, 10:11 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaddix View Post

Zenith..... damn, I would buy that TV just to have the logo.... lol. Maybe I'll buy a Zenith logo off ebay and stick it on the front of my TV, or better yet replace the Toyota logo on my car with the Zenith logo.

Actually never thought I'd own another Zenith but here we are. My dad bought a 25" Zenith when Sun TV was closing the first time around here in Buffalo, so that would have been something like 1996, apparently that TV missed the bad batch of 25" tubes they had. Still looks great, he uses it in his bedroom. Had an Inteq shortly thereafter, still works, my grandparents have it now. For some unknown reason those $2000 Inteq 35" TVs showed up brand new at Grossman's Bargain Outlet maybe a year after they came out, weren't even refurbished, for $598, which was insanely cheap. My dad dragged my Grandma down there to apply for a credit card to get another 10% off so for $550 we had this TV with a trackball remote amongst other things. Have to admit its holding out fairly well, purchased around 1997 or 98 and still going. I had just started staying at my grandma's when I started college in 1998 and Sun TV was closing the second time around, I almost came really close to pulling the trigger on a $75 27" Zenith but instead opted for a stereo and DVD player (I was lucky, since I could commute tution cost me thousands less and I had a decent job, I probably spent nearly 8 paychecks completely at Sun TV when they were closing).

After that Zenith was bought up by LG, and sort of faded by the wayside. I never thought I'd own another, yet I just pulled the trigger on one go figure. Honesty it appears to be an identical clone of he LG except for he name plate. I couldn't find a bit of difference in the menus or anything. The only difference is one claims 2 million to 1 contrast,the other 3 millon to 1.
post #9 of 57 Old 06-13-2010, 10:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 46
The 50" Zenith at Sears is a de-contented LG 350--lacks the USB 2.0 port and Picture Wizard calibration feature. I work at Sears and in order to make $100 commission you'd have to sell about 17 of 'em. (unless the customer pops for the extended wty).

Oddly at least 50% of the 42" Zenith plasma doorbusters we had last Black Friday were returned, and they too were de-contented LGs. Few if any actually had anything wrong with them.

Steve S.
post #10 of 57 Old 06-13-2010, 10:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Older folks pick them up? My dad(74!) has a Zenith VCR from 1986ish that is still trucking, still hooked up and he still uses it too.
post #11 of 57 Old 06-14-2010, 06:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 22
I still have a kick-butt 42" Zenith EDTV from 2005 just now hitting 18.5K hours. Was the main set until upgrading this year to a 58" Sammy B650 so moved it to the bedroom. Puts out a great picture and has an excellent service menu which is easy to access and use for calibration. I'll keep this thing till it dies...in about 10 years. Gotta Love the lightning bolt!
post #12 of 57 Old 06-14-2010, 07:09 AM

I figured you'd be posting up in here Clarke .. I can't believe you upgraded before I did!!

Still rocking my Zenith 42 EDTV .. about 5 years old now and going strong. I kinda wish it would die so I'd have an excuse to upgrade.
post #13 of 57 Old 06-14-2010, 07:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Hey Joe,

Ain't it the truth?

Early last year I targeted the Panny 54V10 but then the black level issue arose around the time I was considering purchase. So hit the brakes and did more research. Probably could have been happy with the Panny 58V10 which is less affected by the BL rise but didn't want to wait for the prices available now. Got the 58" Sammy for a pathetic $1725 shipped from Vann's in mid-March. That's $400 less than the Z42 5 years ago. Patience prevails!

Last I read you were looking at the 50G10 or the 500M. So no go? No worries. The longer you wait, the better things get, at least in some regards. You'll probably be staring at a 65" for what I paid for 58". Check the sig pics for the layout differences with each set. Mainly height since the Z has those side speakers but I still had to squeeze it a bit more for the extra 8" of width.

Best,
Paul
post #14 of 57 Old 06-14-2010, 03:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaddix View Post

Older folks pick them up? My dad(74!) has a Zenith VCR from 1986ish that is still trucking, still hooked up and he still uses it too.

Many of my elderly customers have ancient RCA, Magnavox, Zenith, sets that are finally giving up the ghost after 20+ years. I have to explain to them that that new lcd with the famous old brand name is now usually a 3d teir product made in China, or an entry-level price leader from a Korean mfg.

Steve S.
post #15 of 57 Old 06-14-2010, 04:57 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by yrly View Post

Just bought one and let me tell you, 720p or not it is dirt cheap for a 50" TV.

Amen, brother. I bought one of these during the Memorial Day weekend sale and ordered online to get Bing cashback. It was indeed dirt-cheap. As Steve S said, it does not have LG's Picture Wizard, and the USB slot is service only. There are minor cosmetic differences, and it comes with a different remote. But other than that, it's basically just a PJ350. As far as I can tell, black level is the same on the PJ240, PJ350, and PK550, in spite of the lower claimed contrast ratio of the PJ240. And of course, it has the same problems as the LG models -- dithering, line bleed, and image retention. But I'm finding it pretty easy to live with those imperfections. The black level is pretty good but could of course be better. Color temperature is not too great with the default settings, but obviously that can be corrected (arduously). Great TV for the price.
post #16 of 57 Old 06-14-2010, 05:40 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MechanicalMan View Post

Amen, brother. I bought one of these during the Memorial Day weekend sale and ordered online to get Bing cashback. It was indeed dirt-cheap. As Steve S said, it does not have LG's Picture Wizard, and the USB slot is service only. There are minor cosmetic differences, and it comes with a different remote. But other than that, it's basically just a PJ350. As far as I can tell, black level is the same on the PJ240, PJ350, and PK550, in spite of the lower claimed contrast ratio of the PJ240. And of course, it has the same problems as the LG models -- dithering, line bleed, and image retention. But I'm finding it pretty easy to live with those imperfections. The black level is pretty good but could of course be better. Color temperature is not too great with the default settings, but obviously that can be corrected (arduously). Great TV for the price.

Likely to be better than an Insignia LCD regardless. I have a Vizio plasma using an LG panel that was fine. Dithering, line bleed and image retention are all within the realm of expectations. This will likely be the last TV I buy for a while unless someone offers up a really cheap 58" plasma in the future. Basically I'll just continue to phase out smaller older sets.
post #17 of 57 Old 06-14-2010, 08:35 PM

This thread is great... have a couple of old TransOceanics from the 40's, 50's, & 70's.... Zenith did make some great stuff.

This is a true story. Right now I'm in the middle of a house renovation with a serious spot reserved for a 63 - 65" flat panel, but before that, our main TV was a Zenith I got from a Zenith distributor that gave me a super deal because I did him a favor.

In 1977, when I got married, we figured we'd splurge on the TV... so we got the real space age looking 25" with the curved cabinet and an ultrasonic remote. In 1995, we gave it away (still going, but the picture left something to be desired. In '95 I had this opportunity to get a top of the line Zenith and right now it's in the garage. Picture looks awesome on FiOS, but we're going to unload it.

I hate to stick this thing in a land fill. Hopefully someone will take it. If you did the math, we've been married 33 years and only had 2 TVs, both Zeniths, as our main TV in the family room, and one of them is still going strong.
post #18 of 57 Old 06-14-2010, 10:41 PM
AVS Special Member

^^^I remember those curvy late-70s Zeniths quite well, those and the RCA 2000s and Dimensia sets always intrigued me.

Check out this for TransOceanics:

http://antiqueradio.org/transoceanics.htm

My understanding is that the ATSC digital broadcast system was largely developed by Zenith's R&D dept. and the cost drove them into the arms of LG. A few years ago when terristrial ATSC HD tuners had to be bought separately it was no secret that LG made the best ones--Sonys were rebadged LGs (I've still got one).

If all else fails you might be able to donate that Zenith in the garage to these guys:

http://www.earlytelevision.org/

Steve S.
post #19 of 57 Old 06-15-2010, 06:00 PM
Advanced Member

Looks fairly decent for the price. Can't complain.
post #20 of 57 Old 06-15-2010, 06:57 PM

Google this model # z50pj240 you'll get lots of hits

i-need-a-beak.com
post #21 of 57 Old 07-02-2010, 04:40 AM

Just purhcased one of these in the uk (50PK350). Well happy with it.

Still running it in. But how do i find out how many hours it has been on for?

Cheers.
Rob.
post #22 of 57 Old 12-05-2010, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by B0N3 View Post

I figured you'd be posting up in here Clarke .. I can't believe you upgraded before I did!!

Still rocking my Zenith 42 EDTV .. about 5 years old now and going strong. I kinda wish it would die so I'd have an excuse to upgrade.

I'm another happy Zenith 42 EDTV owner. It's an excellent TV. Hard to tell it's not HD. I'm about 5 years in also - watching the Giant game on it right now.

Anyway.. pretty good deal on the z50pj240 at sears right now so looks like I'm going for my second Zenith.. actually a christmas present for the parents.
post #23 of 57 Old 12-06-2010, 02:25 PM

Just today I brought one of these 50" Zenith/LG plasma's home from Sears (haven't hooked it up yet)...but my cable provider asked me if it had a "QAM Tuner" in it > how can I find out If so, she said I wouldn't need the cable co's HDMI box.
post #24 of 57 Old 12-06-2010, 06:49 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamerdown View Post

Just today I brought one of these 50" Zenith/LG plasma's home from Sears (haven't hooked it up yet)...but my cable provider asked me if it had a "QAM Tuner" in it > how can I find out If so, she said I wouldn't need the cable co's HDMI box.

The 50PJ240 does have a QAM tuner. You will get the HD locals, and some basic channels. Most channels are now encrypted, so you may still want a box to get, CNN, Fox News, EPSN, etc..
post #25 of 57 Old 12-07-2010, 06:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by videoguy60467 View Post
The 50PJ240 does have a QAM tuner. You will get the HD locals, and some basic channels. Most channels are now encrypted, so you may still want a box to get, CNN, Fox News, EPSN, etc..
Thanks you for the reply/info...actually with the basic Cable package I currently have, amount of HD programs I would get is pathetic!
It would be a better option to dump the Cable Co.(Comcast) and just invest in a good antenna > as I'll get the same HD broadcasts over the air free!
Of course the standard def signals will look poor > but I had to go and want a bigger TV (shot myself in the foot)
post #26 of 57 Old 12-13-2010, 07:00 PM

Does anyone else that has this tv notice a lag in the audio when watching qam channels? My 46" sharp in the other room does not experience the audio lag when watching the same digital channels.
post #27 of 57 Old 12-13-2010, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmrazek View Post

Does anyone else that has this tv notice a lag in the audio when watching qam channels? My 46" sharp in the other room does not experience the audio lag when watching the same digital channels.

Not seeing any audio lag with QAM here, actually quite stunning in every aspect!
However, I do appear to be having a Audio/video problem at those two sets on inputs...testing with two different VCR's and two sets of cables, on playback I'll see some 4 horizontal lines of noise.
To confirm it was my TV I took one of my VCR's to Sears and hooked it up to a display >perfect picture.
Contemplating if, I should exchange my TV for another???
post #28 of 57 Old 01-06-2011, 08:38 PM

I picked up this model in the 42' on black Friday for 399.99.Im gettting it home tommorrow just wondering if u guys have run across any image retention problems?
post #29 of 57 Old 01-07-2011, 05:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bugeyes2443 View Post

I picked up this model in the 42' on black Friday for 399.99.Im gettting it home tommorrow just wondering if u guys have run across any image retention problems?

99.9% of the time when needed I 'zoom' to eliminate black-bars however...the once or twice I ran a show with the bars there was a very faint impression left by them. However they went away rather quickly.
I have NEVER saw anything left behind by the network logo's.
post #30 of 57 Old 01-07-2011, 12:08 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bugeyes2443 View Post
No IR of any consequence after hundreds of hours of use. For break-in, I just left the TV on a high def channel for several days and it was good to go.

David
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page