Samsung PN42C450 vs. Panasonic TCP42C2 vs. LG 42PJ350 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 74 Old 06-13-2010, 04:40 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Right now I am in the market for a new HDTV and well, I can't really afford much. I've pretty much narrowed it down to the:

Samsung PN42C450
Panasonic TCP42C2
LG 42PJ350

all three seem pretty in line with another and the exact same price, so that makes the decision very hard. I would be playing games about 50 percent of the time and the other 50 percent of the time watching cable or SD DVD's. Can you guys sort of help me out and tell me the pros and cons of each set, or maybe give your personal opinion on which is better?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 74 Old 06-13-2010, 06:44 PM

I want to know too which is the best.
post #3 of 74 Old 06-13-2010, 07:34 PM - Thread Starter

bump
post #4 of 74 Old 06-14-2010, 08:59 AM

I have recently been through the exact same comparison. I initially purchased the Samsung but went through two returns due to horizontal banding, buzzing, and dead pixels. I now have the LG and am pretty happy with it. I think the Samsung had a better picture out of the box and prehaps overall, though I haven't had as much time to dial in the LG. The samsung also had a superior menu interface and better sound, IMO. I loved the samsung other than the repeated quality control issues. My LG was pretty spotless right out of the box and the NBA finals looked great last night. I will try and hop back by to give my further impressions of the LG 50PJ350 when I have more time with the set. Initially I notice a bit more dithering.

The only experience I had with the Panasonic was at the store, where I changed the picture but just couldnt get the image to look as "clean" as either the Sammy or LG. It also has a thicker panel and looks less sleek if that does anything for you.
post #5 of 74 Old 06-14-2010, 09:09 AM

C-notes, I hear a lot about LG's reflectivity. How would you compare the LG 350 reflectivity to the Samsung one?
post #6 of 74 Old 06-14-2010, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddd89 View Post

C-notes, I hear a lot about LG's reflectivity. How would you compare the LG 350 reflectivity to the Samsung one?

I just set up my LG yesterday afternoon, I noticed no perceptible difference in reflection. Both sets were in the same gamroom on a wall angled slightly towards a wall with three windows. I will note the LG has a swivel stand where the Sammy did not.

I will also note both these sets reflect more than my Samsung HPT4254 plasma downstairs in my living room which has an anti-reflective coating.
post #7 of 74 Old 06-14-2010, 01:41 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by c-notes View Post

I have recently been through the exact same comparison. I initially purchased the Samsung but went through two returns due to horizontal banding, buzzing, and dead pixels. I now have the LG and am pretty happy with it. I think the Samsung had a better picture out of the box and prehaps overall, though I haven't had as much time to dial in the LG. The samsung also had a superior menu interface and better sound, IMO. I loved the samsung other than the repeated quality control issues. My LG was pretty spotless right out of the box and the NBA finals looked great last night. I will try and hop back by to give my further impressions of the LG 50PJ350 when I have more time with the set. Initially I notice a bit more dithering.

The only experience I had with the Panasonic was at the store, where I changed the picture but just couldnt get the image to look as "clean" as either the Sammy or LG. It also has a thicker panel and looks less sleek if that does anything for you.

Thanks for the reply, c-notes. I'll look further into the LG as i in a way have narrowed it down to the LG and the Panasonic.
post #8 of 74 Old 06-14-2010, 02:25 PM

I played with the LG and Samsung side by side for a good hour at the store before I bought the Samsung. I couldn't get the LG to get the same PQ as the Samsung no matter what I tried. That said, the LG was still pretty decent and I liked the menus they had. There was even a little setup where you can sort of do a quick calibration with it. I also liked the thin looking frame as it made the screen 'pop' in a way. That said I had to go with Samsung despite the buzz about the buzz! I got a buzzer, updated the firmware Samsung recently provided and the buzzing has gone down noticeably. Made it's getting better with age or the firmware worked, either way it's a non-issue for me anymore. I couldn't go with the Panasonic with the issues they have and lack of fix for it.
post #9 of 74 Old 06-14-2010, 02:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by matthewd49 View Post

Right now I am in the market for a new HDTV and well, I can't really afford much. I've pretty much narrowed it down to the:

Samsung PN42C450
Panasonic TCP42C2
LG 42PJ350

all three seem pretty in line with another and the exact same price, so that makes the decision very hard. I would be playing games about 50 percent of the time and the other 50 percent of the time watching cable or SD DVD's. Can you guys sort of help me out and tell me the pros and cons of each set, or maybe give your personal opinion on which is better?

other than reflectivity, the lg is the way to go in my opinion.
post #10 of 74 Old 06-14-2010, 03:34 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sc37 View Post

I played with the LG and Samsung side by side for a good hour at the store before I bought the Samsung. I couldn't get the LG to get the same PQ as the Samsung no matter what I tried. That said, the LG was still pretty decent and I liked the menus they had. There was even a little setup where you can sort of do a quick calibration with it. I also liked the thin looking frame as it made the screen 'pop' in a way. That said I had to go with Samsung despite the buzz about the buzz! I got a buzzer, updated the firmware Samsung recently provided and the buzzing has gone down noticeably. Made it's getting better with age or the firmware worked, either way it's a non-issue for me anymore. I couldn't go with the Panasonic with the issues they have and lack of fix for it.

Hm, maybe I'll reconsider the Samsung, this is really a hard decision.
post #11 of 74 Old 06-14-2010, 03:35 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by winston9332 View Post

other than reflectivity, the lg is the way to go in my opinion.

Thanks for the reply, winston, I will keep researching these TV's further. Thanks for all the replies guys, keep them coming, thanks.
post #12 of 74 Old 06-14-2010, 05:48 PM - Thread Starter

Another question. Which is least susceptible to IR and burn in? Since I will be playing some games that do contain static HUD's this is somewhat important. And if it doesn't matter, what do you guys suggest I do to prevent IR or burn in when playing games with static HUD's? Thanks.
post #13 of 74 Old 06-14-2010, 05:50 PM

I was in your exact position a few months ago. The 720p Panny / LG / Samsung decision....I went with the samsung c450. I thought it had the best PQ / Color / Sharpness of the three models....the only thing holding me back was a potential "buzzer" that would exist as it would be going in a quiet bedroom. I decided to pull the trigger only to find a slight audible "hum"....my blu-ray player is louder and more annoying IMO. It seems hit and miss with them as some DO BUZZ fairly loud, but I think in this years models the majority of them just have a slight hum.

In fact, Samsung also recently released firmware update for the C450 model. I talked to a CSR to see what issues it addressed and they said it would address buzzing issues. There are 2 reports of it in the owner's thread of the new update reducing the hum...

I'd say its a toss up...I'd go with the C450...The Samsung may have better overall PQ...The LG will get a more "accurate" picture with all the tweaks available, but may have more IR...... but you really can't go wrong with either...
post #14 of 74 Old 06-14-2010, 06:00 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesco411 View Post

I was in your exact position a few months ago. The 720p Panny / LG / Samsung decision....I went with the samsung c450. I thought it had the best PQ / Color / Sharpness of the three models....the only thing holding me back was a potential "buzzer" that would exist as it would be going in a quiet bedroom. I decided to pull the trigger only to find a slight audible "hum"....my blu-ray player is louder and more annoying IMO. It seems hit and miss with them as some DO BUZZ fairly loud, but I think in this years models the majority of them just have a slight hum.

In fact, Samsung also recently released firmware update for the C450 model. I talked to a CSR to see what issues it addressed and they said it would address buzzing issues. There are 2 reports of it in the owner's thread of the new update reducing the hum...

I'd say its a toss up...I'd go with the C450...The Samsung may have better overall PQ...The LG will get a more "accurate" picture with all the tweaks available, but may have more IR...... but you really can't go wrong with either...

Thanks. I will definitely ask around more about the samsung as one of the only complaints i've heard about it is the buzzing, which a firmware update seems to have fixed.
post #15 of 74 Old 06-14-2010, 06:36 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 20
I looked at them all side-by-side at Sears before making a purchase, and I suggest others do the same. This is how I would rank them:

1. PJ350
2. C450
3. C2

I bought the 50" PJ240 because it's essentially the same as the PJ350, but it's cheaper. It's very prone to image retention, it has some line bleed, and it has a problem with dithering that you can read more about in the LG threads here. Good TV for the price, but none of these TVs are perfect.

Quote:

Which is least susceptible to IR...

Panasonic. LG is the most susceptible, and Samsung is somewhere in the middle. But honestly, the C2 display models that I've seen looked so bad, I just can't imagine buying one. I think someone interested in a Panasonic would be better off spending more for a G25.
post #16 of 74 Old 06-14-2010, 10:15 PM

I'm also trying to decide between the C450 and C2. I saw that the input lag on the Panasonic C2 was 30-50ms, but not sure how bad that is. Haven't been able to find the numbers on the C450. All I found so far was that the Panasonic's black levels start to rise and become worse after awhile? However, some of the Samsung C450's will buzz? Which is best for gaming though? Xbox 360 and PS3 gaming, nothing older that will require upscaling. Anyone have any help for this? Thanks
post #17 of 74 Old 06-15-2010, 06:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MechanicalMan View Post

I looked at them all side-by-side at Sears before making a purchase, and I suggest others do the same. This is how I would rank them:

1. PJ350
2. C450
3. C2

I bought the 50" PJ240 because it's essentially the same as the PJ350, but it's cheaper. It's very prone to image retention, it has some line bleed, and it has a problem with dithering that you can read more about in the LG threads here. Good TV for the price, but none of these TVs are perfect.

Panasonic. LG is the most susceptible, and Samsung is somewhere in the middle. But honestly, the C2 display models that I've seen looked so bad, I just can't imagine buying one. I think someone interested in a Panasonic would be better off spending more for a G25.

In my two weeks with the c450 I saw more IR than I have with the LG, which seems to contradict most testaments on here. I also worked with the LG last night and realized the dithering I was seeing was due to my contrast and brightness being WAY out of line. I calibrated it last night and have to say the picture is awesome. Just as good as Samsung, probably a little better with regard to shadow detail, with a little more accurate color. Blacks are probably better on the Sammy. I would defiantely recommend the PJ350! I don't really think you can make a bad decision between the Sammy and the LG, I just happened to have bad luck with two Samsungs. Line bleed was not an issue for me on either set once properly calibrated.
post #18 of 74 Old 06-15-2010, 03:02 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I am making the same decision myself, currently thinking LG. But the Samsung can be purchased $50 cheaper. I will have to see if I can find them at Best Buy or Sears or something to see which one I like better. I would like to recap any of the pros and cons of the LG and Samsung, including input lag, image retention, black levels, etc. Those with experience chime in?
post #19 of 74 Old 06-15-2010, 06:13 PM
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 477
Quote:

Samsung PN42C450
Panasonic TCP42C2
LG 42PJ350

Since you'll be doing a lot of gaming the Panasonic might be the best choice (least amount of IR), and a 4th option is the Panasonic X24 model if you're a Costco member. The in-store price for 42 incher is something like $569, and unlike the mirror-like C2, the X24 has an effective Anti-Reflective filter and an additional year of factory warranty compliments of Costco. I'd rather have an X24 than a C2 (basically the same as the X24 but without the AR filter).

There are a few current X24 threads floating around . . . . .

Randy
TC-P55ST60, TC-P50GT50, TC-P46G10, TH-42PZ700U, TH-42PX50U, HP LC2600N, TiVo Series3, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR333, URC R40 Remote.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Gallery -
post #20 of 74 Old 06-15-2010, 07:02 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandPixel View Post

I am making the same decision myself, currently thinking LG. But the Samsung can be purchased $50 cheaper. I will have to see if I can find them at Best Buy or Sears or something to see which one I like better.

FWIW, the Zenith PJ240 is almost exactly the same as the PJ350 and is cheaper (LG owns the Zenith name). These are the only differences that I'm aware of:

- The PJ240 does not have LG's Picture Wizard feature
- The PJ240 does not have LG's Simplink feature, and the remote does not have video playback controls
- The PJ350 can play music or display photos from a USB device, but the PJ240's USB port is for service only
- Minor cosmetic differences on the bottom bezel

Sears has been selling the 50" PJ240 for $570 - $600, and the 42" is $450. Bing cashback is 8% for Sears. Best Buy does not sell the PJ350, but Sears has all of these models (PJ240, PJ350, C450).
post #21 of 74 Old 06-15-2010, 07:10 PM

Thinking I'm personally going to go with the Panasonic P42C2. I'll post some impressions if anyone wants. Looking to pick it up tomorrow
post #22 of 74 Old 06-15-2010, 07:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yazzinit View Post

Thinking I'm personally going to go with the Panasonic P42C2. I'll post some impressions if anyone wants. Looking to pick it up tomorrow

i preferred the lg to the panny. the double glass design was annoying.
post #23 of 74 Old 06-16-2010, 07:15 AM

mechanicalman, that is awesome! Z42PJ240 + Bing = $415 FTW! haha

(hm... I wonder if they charge sales tax...)

& ohhhh the Samsung is only $50 more... is it worth it?
eek, get all excited about a great deal, yet still dragging my feet

Z50PJ240 is a sweet deal for $550 also
post #24 of 74 Old 06-16-2010, 08:50 AM

is 50" too big for 720p?
post #25 of 74 Old 06-16-2010, 10:28 AM

found some charts that show seating distance per screen size per resolution... i think 42" 720p would be fine in my room, not sure about 50" though. only problem now is that I would have to drive 3 hrs round trip to pick up the Z42PJ240 at sears. Z50PJ240 is in stock locally though. also sears does charge sales tax so bing and tax cancel each other out. So here is my roundup and final prices:

$600 [Sears.com] Zenith 50" Z50PJ240 (after 7.5% tax, bing)
$550 [Amazon.com] LG 42" 42PJ350
$520 [Amazon.com] Panasonic 42" TC-P42C2
$500 [Amazon.com] Samsung 42" PN42C450
$475 [Sears.com] Zenith 42" Z42PJ240 (after 9.0% tax, bing, $20 gas money)

btw, it's difficult to tell if bing is actually working while you are checking out. eBay is the only site I know of that puts the icon on the page for you. how do I tell if it's working? also, do i have to pay with paypal for bing?
post #26 of 74 Old 06-16-2010, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandPixel View Post

found some charts that show seating distance per screen size per resolution... i think 42" 720p would be fine in my room, not sure about 50" though. only problem now is that I would have to drive 3 hrs round trip to pick up the Z42PJ240 at sears. Z50PJ240 is in stock locally though. also sears does charge sales tax so bing and tax cancel each other out. So here is my roundup and final prices:

$600 [Sears.com] Zenith 50" Z50PJ240 (after 7.5% tax, bing)
$550 [Amazon.com] LG 42" 42PJ350
$520 [Amazon.com] Panasonic 42" TC-P42C2
$500 [Amazon.com] Samsung 42" PN42C450
$475 [Sears.com] Zenith 42" Z42PJ240 (after 9.0% tax, bing, $20 gas money)

btw, it's difficult to tell if bing is actually working while you are checking out. eBay is the only site I know of that puts the icon on the page for you. how do I tell if it's working? also, do i have to pay with paypal for bing?

Hey - not sure where you live but HHGreg has the Sammy 450 on sale Fri/Sat for $499 in the store. If you register on line they'll give you a $50 off coupon that you can use against that price. I know, I did it twice :-)

Frank
post #27 of 74 Old 06-16-2010, 12:30 PM

Thanks frankpc. That's a good option if I were near an HHGreg. They are all over the east but Florida panhandle not quite in the zone.

What are some of the differences between the LG and Samsung sets (features/performance/flaws)?
post #28 of 74 Old 06-16-2010, 05:43 PM

I went to sears to check them out. The Z42PJ240 is a new model and it's currently on order and will sell at $450. But the thing is, I don't know if I want a plasma now. All of the LCD's were so much brighter and more vibrant than all of the plasmas. What advantage does a plasma have and why are they a competitive option again?
post #29 of 74 Old 06-16-2010, 08:59 PM

Just bought an LG 42LD450 lcd refurbished for $330 shipped. Hope this works out.
post #30 of 74 Old 06-17-2010, 12:54 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all the help guys but pc richards is having a great sale on the panasonic for 450 and with my budget I think it'd be best to not let this slip away.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page