Help deciding between Panasonic and Samsung Plasma - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 06-15-2010, 11:57 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm looking at purchasing a Samsung PN58C550 or a Panasonic TC-P54G25 very soon. 4" screen size difference, but right now they are priced within $40 of each other and right in my price range. I hear about the buzzing of the Samsung and the black-level decrease in Panasonic, but I'm having a very hard time deciding between the two if those are the only things I have to worry about. A sales person at a local big box store told me this G25 series was the first to use the Pioneer technology since they acquired them a year or so ago (which Pioneer technology?). Not sure how true that is, but that sounds very promising. How much truth is there to that statement?

When I look to compare the two, the contrast ratio of the Sam is 2,000,000:1 (which on Samsung's site, they categorize that as "Good") vs the Pan of "Infinite Black" or 5,000,000:1 - which sounds awesome.

Honestly, I am leaning towards the Panasonic, but should I really be considering the Samsung? The room will be moderately lit during the afternoons, which I'm told the Panasonic will perform better in the room, but someone else told me the Sam has stepped up their anti-glare, so it might be a non-issue. Opinions?

Please help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 06-15-2010, 12:00 PM

if you have sensitive hearing, i'd recommend avoiding the Samsung due to the buzzing issue
post #3 of 7 Old 06-15-2010, 12:03 PM

I was trying to make a similar decision, Samsung 58C6400 vs Panasonic 54G25. I really want to go Plasma due to viewing angle but the issues with both sets are making me consider the LG LH90 LED instead. =/
post #4 of 7 Old 06-15-2010, 05:34 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 38
I'd go Panny. It does implement some Kuro technology, but it will supposedly be fully implemented next year.
post #5 of 7 Old 06-15-2010, 05:51 PM

Definitely Panasonic. Yes, Panasonic purchased the Pioneer Kuro technology last year, and hired the Pioneer techs to help implement it into the Panny plasmas, which they have been doing since last year. Also, Panasonic has a much better reliability rate and better customer service than Samsung. And, NO BUZZING.
post #6 of 7 Old 06-16-2010, 06:49 AM

Uziel - I purchased the LG 55LH90 a couple weeks ago. The picture is remarkable, but there are a couple issues that I've noticed.
First is posturization. I have noticed this on some HD cable channels, but have not see it yet on any blu-ray images.
The second is motion artifacts. The 240Hz TrueMotion seems to get rid of the motion artifacts during fast moving images, but gives the image the "soap opera video" look. I don't mind it, but my wife does. With the TrueMotion turned off, there is some motion artifacts during fast moving images.
Black levels are very good.
Off center viewing is not great. Looks "foggy". This is the first LCD I've owned (always had plasmas), so not sure if this is common for LCDs.
I have been considering returning it for the Sammy 58C6400, but after reading about some of the issues with the Sammy, I may just hang on to it.
post #7 of 7 Old 06-16-2010, 10:57 AM - Thread Starter

After much debating, and some consideration of a LG plasma, I've decided to go with the Panasonic 54" G25. I receive it Monday, so now I have a little work to do over the weekend to prepare the area for the new tv. This is going to replace my tank of a tv, a RCA MM52110 that I bought some 10 years ago with a DTC100 box for satellite and OTA programming. That was the first "real" tv I ever bought, so I'm going to miss her.

Anyways, can't wait for my new Panasonic! Thanks for all your help.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page