Plasma glare/reflections: worse than with picture tubes? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 06-16-2010, 06:00 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've been trying to decide if I need anti-glare plasma, but realized there was one simple question I hadn't asked yet...

Is a Plasma (Pany C2 or Samsung C450) more reflective than a curved picture tube TV? I'm buying one for the basement and really the reflections in my 2002 32" JVC picture tube haven't bothered me.

Thanks again, everyone.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 06-16-2010, 06:25 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by el_simbolo View Post

I've been trying to decide if I need anti-glare plasma, but realized there was one simple question I hadn't asked yet...

Is a Plasma (Pany C2 or Samsung C450) more reflective than a curved picture tube TV? I'm buying one for the basement and really the reflections in my 2002 32" JVC picture tube haven't bothered me.

Thanks again, everyone.

Those particular sets have no anti reflection filter OR coating, so the reflecting might be a little worse to about the same. However you do have to factor in the fact that a flat screen will catch reflection less than a curved tube will.

So, it most likely won't bother you at all.
post #3 of 4 Old 06-16-2010, 06:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 143
Go look for yourself. To me they are terrible without it. The S2 has a good anti-reflective coating. You should be able to see them close together where you could compare the difference. I wouldn't buy a plasma without a coating.

Xbox Live: TheRealMaxPower --- PSN: TheRealMaxPower

Panasonic TC-P65VT60    Vienna Acoustic Mozart Grands    Onkyo TX-SR805   Sony BDP-S790

Astro Mixamp 2013   Schiit Modi    AKG K702 65th Anniversary   Antlion ModMic    Sennheiser PC360

Theater- Benq W1070    Elite 120" projection...

post #4 of 4 Old 06-16-2010, 06:43 PM
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 428
Quote:
Originally Posted by el_simbolo View Post

The larger plasma has more glass area to reflect things in the room, but the curved picture tube gives a sort of "fish-eye" effect and may actually reflect more of the room in the corners of the screen so it's hard to say which would be more or less noticeable. People (especially the Plasma haters) seem to forget that we've been watching highly reflective tube TVs from the 1940's through at least the early 2000's and we just took their reflectivity for granted, and nobody complained much.

If you're not bothered by the reflectivity on your old Tube TV in your basement, then the C2 would probably be fine in it's place.

Here's and old thread that may help a bit:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=769318

Randy
TC-P55ST60, TC-P50GT50, TC-P46G10, TH-42PZ700U, TH-42PX50U, HP LC2600N, TiVo Series3, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR605, URC R40 Remote.
Pic of My A/V setup - http://cdn.avsforum.com/f/f1/900x900..._Img_4867.jpeg
Gallery - http://www.avsforum.com/g/a/2082686/randywalter...
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page