Hitachi 42HDS69 plasma - flashing red standby light, no picture - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 07-09-2010, 10:07 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
The plasma has had no problems until today. When you turn it on, using the main power switch under the TV, the blue "ON" light flashes like it usually does, the picture comes on for maybe half a second, and then the picture goes out and the red "standby" light just steadily flashes red.

I tried unplugging it for a few minutes and plugging it back in, but that didn't help.

Anybody know what problem this signifies?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 07-10-2010, 12:38 AM - Thread Starter

With nothing to lose, I took it down, cleaned off the dust from the grills. Then I fired up the TV and took note of the fans. It turns out, one of the fans wasn't working. I opened the back panel and removed the fan. It's a standard 80x25 fan. But the plug is definitely not standard. I found this exact model of fan for sale on the Internet, but the plug looks different in the pictures. The plug on the fan looks like a docking bay for the tiny three wire plug coming from the mainboard.

Is this a typical AV plug that I might be able to find an adapter for? If not, will it be possible to push the wires out of the plug and use the plug on a different fan? Or should I cut the wires of the new fan and old fan and splice the wires together?

post #3 of 9 Old 07-10-2010, 05:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Most TV's use standard 12V fans like you would find in a computer. Connectors are different but that's it.
post #4 of 9 Old 06-23-2012, 06:45 PM

I know this is an old thread but now I'm having the same issue with my 42hds69 hitachi plasma. Hyperluminescent or anyone who has had this problem, I'm assuming replacing the fan solved the problem. If that's the case, I'll have to open the back to see where these fans are. Any help or guidance is appreciated....
post #5 of 9 Old 07-31-2012, 04:43 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Also having the exact same symptoms on the above mentioned TV. I too have a fan that is inoperative. Can the OP confirm that replacing the fan corrected the issue?
post #6 of 9 Old 07-31-2012, 07:48 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by smalltownguy View Post

Also having the exact same symptoms on the above mentioned TV. I too have a fan that is inoperative. Can the OP confirm that replacing the fan corrected the issue?

I had a 42hds69 from 06-12 which I loved to death and sold it for a panny gt....I had a similar issue once and what I did was blow out the back panel with canned air and vacuumed the area where the fans are placed with a low powered vacuum like Sony recommends how to clean a PS3.

What I noticed was, I built up alot of dust in back of the tv and I have a rug in the room and the tv was picking up static electricity and was randomly shutting off.

So I sprayed canned air,used the low/power vacuum,changed the power cord just in case that was an issue and I also vacuumed and shampooed my rug and sprayed static spray around the tv,rug area.

That happened in the summer of 09 and the tv has worked as good as new ,until I sold it last Feb.

Samsung 60F8500
Panasonic 55GT30
Panasonic BDT310
PS3 (PS4 coming soon)
Sony STR-DG1000 AVR
Mirage Omnisat V2 7.1 set up with Energy S10 Sub
post #7 of 9 Old 08-03-2012, 06:55 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I ordered a replacement 12v fan for $5.00, and the TV works again smile.gif

Not bad for a curbside find.
post #8 of 9 Old 02-07-2013, 04:20 PM

Had the exact same problem as Hyperluminescent. Thanks to this post and replies, I checked out the TV and could see through the back grill that one fan was not turning. I was able to get the model number off the fan (NMB-MAT [manu], Model 3110KL-04W-B19, Hitachi part # GS00702). I didn't know if another one would work the same or have the correct plug. I found the exact fans at www.interliquidparts.com. Although it took a lot of time and strength to remove the approximately 6000 screws that held on the TV back, replacing the fans was pretty easy (no problem with the plugs), and now the TV works fine. Just wanted to add to this thread so people will know--if you have this problem, replace the fans!
post #9 of 9 Old 06-14-2013, 04:58 PM

Many thanks to everyone who posted information regarding the blinking standby light, no picture problem, it saved me a bundle. The repairman wanted to charge me $140 to pick up the set and $85 per hour to work on it. I read the posts on Saturday, ordered the fans (ebay $19) on Monday, received the package on Thursday morning and had the fan installed and the plasma up and running by Thursday afternoon. FYI, the Hitachi has two fans, I only had to replace one. Thanks to all again
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page