Hate feeling like I "settled" on a great TV ... - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 17 Old 07-20-2010, 08:53 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
This is more of a rant than anything...

I should be very excited. While im awaiting for the TV to arrive in a few days, I still just upgraded from a 4yr old 40" sony Bravia lcd, to a brand new 58" samsung plasma (3D). Thats a 4yr technology upgrade/warranty along with 18" more inches of view pleasure -- I should be very excited.

While I am still pleased -- I shamefully feel a little unhappy. I feel as though i have "settled" from which I could have really gotten. I could have gotten the 63" Samsung. Problem is - the added size, plus the increase in cost for a stand from a 58inch to a 60+, and the added warranty price; I would have been really pressing my luck financially. However, it was still within a 5% reason of buying (haha) and feel like i have "settled". It would have been about 650 dollars more than the package i got now.

Whats wrong with me?! Im upgrading 18inches and from a old lcd to a new plasma! There should be no buyers remorse. I should be doing backflips. Maybe its the wait. I know one things that doesnt help -- my gf's dad got the 65" vt25.... so ive seen 65 inches in action.... but still. I feel like a fool
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 07-20-2010, 09:06 AM

Ya I have a 58c8000 upgraded from 42inch 2008 panny now in bedroom. Im loving the bigger screen!!! But I too have seen the 65vt25 in action, my brother had it (he traded it for 63c8000) I didn't think 500$ (a hundred a inch) was a good price to get the 63inch. I originally was gonna get 50 but 58 was only 300 more so i thought that was a good deal. It still doesn't change that I have seen a 65 inch in beautiful action and would swap mine for that size in a ny minute (If I didn't have to pay more for it LOL)

Stop weezing the juice!
post #3 of 17 Old 07-20-2010, 09:10 AM

With all that in mind, you will still love your new plasma! Best set I ever owned!!! (I have owned four plasmas-no lcds) No buzz at all on mine im at 300hrs

Stop weezing the juice!
post #4 of 17 Old 07-20-2010, 09:33 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjb4 View Post

With all that in mind, you will still love your new plasma! Best set I ever owned!!! (I have owned four plasmas-no lcds) No buzz at all on mine im at 300hrs

Im sure i will in part out of internal justification and in most part becase its a great tv! I saw the 63" in action at magnolia as i asked to see demonstrations.... sadly i felt as though i got accustomed to the size as the 58" started looking small. Granted it will look bigger at home..... ive seen the 65" at home too and it fits nicely.

It is a lot of money for 5 extra inches. The BB people were willing to drop the price for the vt25 58" but thats because i had other prices to compare.... ive yet to see several reduced prices for the samsung deal so i had no negociating power with it.
post #5 of 17 Old 07-20-2010, 09:50 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 13
You know, there is such a thing as too big. Did you do the calculation to determine proper screen size? You may find that your 58" is just fine (or perhaps even too big)! Enjoy your new set. I'm considering upgrading my 5 year old 42" Panasonic 720p plasma for something else this fall...
post #6 of 17 Old 07-20-2010, 09:52 AM

Funny as I'm currently contemplating the somewhat same dilema. I currently have a 46" rptv Hitachi 46W500 and will shortly be upgrading to the LG 50PK550. I saw the 60" version and I'm tempted to go that route but it's about $900 more here (almost double the price of the 50").

The tv will be placed over the fireplace and I have just enough room worked out for the 50" plus mantle to fit, the 60" would remove the mantle but damn would it look good.

I'll more than likely go with the more sensable route but will feel a pang for not getting the bigger (and perceived better) size.
post #7 of 17 Old 07-20-2010, 09:57 AM

If you are sitting 8-10 ft from your TV...58" is optimum for viewing. if anything more than that 63" or 65" will make a difference.

Since you have already bought 58" PDP...look at the positives...
1. You got upgraded from 40" to 58" and better PQ
2. Since you saved some money by going with 58" instead of 63"/65"...you could upgrade sooner in the future with better PQ and technology. 3D might not require glasses in the future.

Hope this helps!
post #8 of 17 Old 07-20-2010, 10:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 40
Your feelings are exactly right. The biggest regret people have is not buying the biggest panel you can afford and that fits your viewing room. When you think about how much time you will spend watching the new TV over the years and divide the added price of the bigger screen by 365, it might cost you 25 cents a day more to get the screen size you really want.
post #9 of 17 Old 07-20-2010, 11:00 AM - Thread Starter

As of now - the 63" would be a bit too large for my viewing room. However, im estimating that by this time next year i will be living somewhere else -- but where who knows and unless its a house (prob be an apartment) the viewing area size wont change much.

My gf's dads viewing room is decent size. Out of everyone who has seen it 4 have said the tv is too large for the room and another 4 (including me) think its right.

im trying to find ways to afford a 63" - but thats the thing. The 58" is bought (via maxed credit now) and all set. If i want larger - i have to find ways to afford it such as selling old stuff, or using my standard credit card hoping im paid enough to afford the chargers prior to due date (i dont want to pay some 20% interest).
post #10 of 17 Old 07-20-2010, 11:09 AM
Advanced Member

What you're experiencing is simple anxiety after having made a large purchasing decision. The answer to that feeling is recognizing it as a quirk of the way our feelings work and then settling down to enjoy your new television. It's called "buyer's remorse".

You can not cure that feeling by buying a TV bigger than you need with money you don't have. That would result in another, worse feeling called "I've made a huge mistake".
post #11 of 17 Old 07-20-2010, 12:33 PM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hutto View Post

What you're experiencing is simple anxiety after having made a large purchasing decision. The answer to that feeling is recognizing it as a quirk of the way our feelings work and then settling down to enjoy your new television. It's called "buyer's remorse".

You can not cure that feeling by buying a TV bigger than you need with money you don't have. That would result in another, worse feeling called "I've made a huge mistake".

+ 1

No wonder he's an Advanced Member.
post #12 of 17 Old 07-20-2010, 01:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlson275 View Post

As of now - the 63" would be a bit too large for my viewing room. However, im estimating that by this time next year i will be living somewhere else -- but where who knows and unless its a house (prob be an apartment) the viewing area size wont change much.

My gf's dads viewing room is decent size. Out of everyone who has seen it 4 have said the tv is too large for the room and another 4 (including me) think its right.

im trying to find ways to afford a 63" - but thats the thing. The 58" is bought (via maxed credit now) and all set. If i want larger - i have to find ways to afford it such as selling old stuff, or using my standard credit card hoping im paid enough to afford the chargers prior to due date (i dont want to pay some 20% interest).

Spyboy always says get the biggest set you can afford that will fit, and I generallly agree unless there will be a really significant sacrifice in pq with the larger set. If you're having to figure out ways to finagle the extra bucks or considering using a high interest card to float the bigger set because your interest free credit is maxxed out that might be an indication that in this case it makes sense to stand pat.

Steve S.
post #13 of 17 Old 07-20-2010, 01:38 PM

Another +1 here. Once you finally took the plunge and bought something, stop obsessing in these forums about it and just enjoy your purchase.
post #14 of 17 Old 07-20-2010, 03:07 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Yeah, the worst thing can you can do is surf the forums after you make your purchase. You just bought a great set and you should just enjoy it. If you keep surfing here you'll end up taking out a personal loan and buying a 60" Kuro or 65" VT25.
post #15 of 17 Old 07-20-2010, 05:31 PM

I got the the 63" (not here yet) and I am worried it is too big for my 9 foot viewing area. The 58" looks great, enjoy your new TV!
post #16 of 17 Old 07-20-2010, 08:19 PM

It's tough to settle on a tv purchase. You just want to be sure you won't have to upgrade later on. But since you waited this long and have 3D included, you should be happy with your choice. Or you could drop the warranty and get the 63".
post #17 of 17 Old 07-20-2010, 08:51 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlson275 View Post

This is more of a rant than anything...

I should be very excited. While im awaiting for the TV to arrive in a few days, I still just upgraded from a 4yr old 40" sony Bravia lcd, to a brand new 58" samsung plasma (3D). Thats a 4yr technology upgrade/warranty along with 18" more inches of view pleasure -- I should be very excited.

I went from a 50" to a 63" and it was a huge difference. Going from 40" to 58" is an even bigger increase respectively. You'll enjoy it. I only went 63" because I had been saving for a year so it would be in your budget. A 63"+ clearly isn't in your budget so don't worry. I can't afford a 60" Pioneer Kuro, so why would I stress about it.

Can you use your 40" in your bedroom? That's what I did with my 50" and now every time I see my 63" it continues to look big by comparison.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page