2011 Panasonic Plasma [NO PRICE TALK] - Page 72 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #2131 of 3327 Old 03-12-2011, 09:04 PM
Member
 
wingman1659's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Michigan
Posts: 61
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Now feel free to correct me but I specifically remember reading (on engadget?) that there also would be another G and V series presumably without 3D...

Now this would be beautiful. Not to hate or change subjects but give me the best 2D panel I can get forget 3D features, give me ISFccc and pro-sumer tools not gimmicks.
wingman1659 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2132 of 3327 Old 03-12-2011, 09:49 PM
Senior Member
 
jason4207's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Concord, NC
Posts: 252
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by wingman1659 View Post

Now feel free to correct me but I specifically remember reading (on engadget?) that there also would be another G and V series presumably without 3D...

Now this would be beautiful. Not to hate or change subjects but give me the best 2D panel I can get forget 3D features, give me ISFccc and pro-sumer tools not gimmicks.

Not in the US. Certain regions will get a G30...not sure about V30.
jason4207 is offline  
post #2133 of 3327 Old 03-13-2011, 03:14 AM
Newbie
 
tcouto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Nice View Post

Yes and they will be posted on HDJ.

Can anyone tell me what HDJ stands for?

Thanks
tcouto is offline  
post #2134 of 3327 Old 03-13-2011, 03:19 AM
Newbie
 
mrgibb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
high def junkies
mrgibb is offline  
post #2135 of 3327 Old 03-13-2011, 03:34 AM
Member
 
Jeipii's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 102
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
In europe there will be g30 and it will be the top of Panasonics 2d-tvs. There will be no v-series this year.
Jeipii is offline  
post #2136 of 3327 Old 03-13-2011, 05:53 AM
AVS Special Member
 
CHASLS2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Tampa FL area
Posts: 1,269
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Nice View Post

Yes and they will be posted on HDJ.

Got a link to HDJ as i have no clue what it is? Sure would love to see Panny lick the black level rise so i can buy a 65" plasma to replace my 50" Kuro.

Panny 60VT60 Acurus 200x3
Pioneer Elite 05FD &51FD
2 Oppo 83's Pioneer Elite DV 59AVI
Paradigm SIg2 v3's & 490cc
Pioneer Elite SC61 SVS SB12NSD
2 S-VHS VCR's
CHASLS2 is offline  
post #2137 of 3327 Old 03-13-2011, 07:23 AM
AVS Special Member
 
ckenisell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 3,571
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHASLS2 View Post

Got a link to HDJ as i have no clue what it is? Sure would love to see Panny lick the black level rise so i can buy a 65" plasma to replace my 50" Kuro.

You can't link to it because this awesome forum blocks anything that they may consider competition instead of employing an open-minded spirit that promotes helping its members.

Anyway, it's...

high def junkies dot com

Remove the spaces.

Chet
ckenisell is offline  
post #2138 of 3327 Old 03-13-2011, 04:40 PM
Member
 
spacecoast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 134
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:


First--and I know this is really basic--can I use an hd over-the-air antenna with both units? Or are they just cable/internet? And second, a bit more vague: I have a 5-year old Sony CRT, a KD-34XS955 (HD, 10801, hdmi, etc). I don't know if CRTs are scoffed at these days but I actually really like the picture. I've never owned a plasma or lcd. I'm thinking plasma rather than led/lcd for all the obvious reasons--my question is simply whether I'm going to be getting a better picture with the two panasonic plasmas than on my CRT. What can I expect?

Sounds like we are in the same situation, including a fantastic Sony CRT. If the models you are looking at have a digital tunner, then yes over the air HD will work fine, just like your Sony. As far as what you can expect, only getting the TV will tell. I've got the VT30 55" on preorder and I'm going with plasma due to required viewing off-angles.
spacecoast is offline  
post #2139 of 3327 Old 03-13-2011, 09:12 PM
Senior Member
 
biggiE48's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: So/Cal
Posts: 214
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckenisell View Post
You can't link to it because this awesome forum blocks anything that they may consider competition instead of employing an open-minded spirit that promotes helping its members.

Anyway, it's...

high def junkies dot com

Remove the spaces.
I second that it is a nice site.

Life is no harder than you make it.
biggiE48 is offline  
post #2140 of 3327 Old 03-14-2011, 12:20 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
rogo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: Sequoia, CA
Posts: 30,088
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 439
I'm a little surprise that the HDGuru/Gary Merson stuff hasn't generated more excitement or at least discussion here. I guess we'll see what happens over the next few months. Not sure how the Japan situation will delay any of the product introductions -- and it's worth noting how ridiculous it sounds juxtaposing loss of life and tremendous property damage with new TVs; obviously my primary concern is for the Japanese people -- but eventually the stuff will reach the market and perhaps people will get to see if that hype is delivered.

There is no difference in HDMI cables. If you can see the picture without visible dropouts or sparklies, the cable is working at 100%. No other cable will display a better version of that picture. You're simply wrong if you think there is a better digital cable than one that is already working.
rogo is offline  
post #2141 of 3327 Old 03-14-2011, 12:30 PM
AVS Special Member
 
RichB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 8,655
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked: 228
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogo View Post

I'm a little surprise that the HDGuru/Gary Merson stuff hasn't generated more excitement or at least discussion here. I guess we'll see what happens over the next few months. Not sure how the Japan situation will delay any of the product introductions -- and it's worth noting how ridiculous it sounds juxtaposing loss of life and tremendous property damage with new TVs; obviously my primary concern is for the Japanese people -- but eventually the stuff will reach the market and perhaps people will get to see if that hype is delivered.

It may be that the HDGuru has, in the past, been over-enthusiastic. "Kuro Killer" and such. I do not believe he weighed in on the black-level rise and floating black issues - so I take his information with a grain of salt.
From Panasonic marketing to HDGuru to us with very little filter

I have zero respect Panasonic marketing. They use the infinity symbol to describer there black levels. Need I say more...

- Rich

Oppo Beta Group

Oppo BDP-105D | Oppo HA-1 | Oppo PM-1 | Parasound A51 | Revel Salon, Voice, Studio | Velodyne HGS-15
RichB is online now  
post #2142 of 3327 Old 03-14-2011, 12:41 PM
Advanced Member
 
PathofNeo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 991
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by northman View Post

And second, a bit more vague: I have a 5-year old Sony CRT, a KD-34XS955 (HD, 10801, hdmi, etc). I don't know if CRTs are scoffed at these days but I actually really like the picture. I've never owned a plasma or lcd. I'm thinking plasma rather than led/lcd for all the obvious reasons--my question is simply whether I'm going to be getting a better picture with the two panasonic plasmas than on my CRT. What can I expect? It's *really* hard to judge from standing in front of the dozens of big bright screens in the big box stores around here. I find it both overwhelming and underwhelming. And my CRT doesn't have off-angle problems, floating black, image ghosts, etc. (Basically I want to hear that either panasonic will blow away my CRT!)

Sorry but that's not gonna happen. I have a 34XBR960 and no current flat panel has a better contrast, superior viewing angles, less input lag, color accuracy (debatable), warmth, and overall depth/sharpness than it. I also have a Pioneer 5020fd, and while this isn't an Elite, it's still a far cry from the Sony side by side with same signal, same source, same cable.. SD, HD, Blu-ray, DVD, no matter. It's just not gonna happen. Maybe the Pio 500m rivals it? But probably only by a hair.

If it's size that your after, then you have no choice to upgrade. By all means, a 9G Pioneer will satisfy you enough that you'll forget about the small 34" size. But don't think by forking over a lot of cash for a plasma today is going to net you a greater picture that what you already have (XS955 is a beast). It's just not gonna happen.

Plasma gurus can flog me all they want, but I think this genuinely answers his question.
PathofNeo is offline  
post #2143 of 3327 Old 03-14-2011, 01:47 PM
Member
 
grexeo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 73
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichB View Post

I have zero respect Panasonic marketing. They use the infinity symbol to describer there black levels. Need I say more...

- Rich

Don't lose respect for Panasonic marketing just because they do their job and stay competitive.

The government are the ones to blame here. They should not allow any company to claim "infinite" unless it truly is. There is a severe lack of advertising regulation - we see "infinite", "unlimited" and "free" attached to a huge amount of modern products and services. It's ridiculous beyond laughter - a 5 year old could tell you there's something severely wrong with the law.

If the law prevented all CE companies from making such claims, Panasonic wouldn't need to either.
grexeo is offline  
post #2144 of 3327 Old 03-14-2011, 01:59 PM
AVS Special Member
 
RichB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 8,655
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked: 228
Quote:
Originally Posted by grexeo View Post

Don't lose respect for Panasonic marketing just because they do their job and stay competitive.

The government are the ones to blame here. They should not allow any company to claim "infinite" unless it truly is. There is a severe lack of advertising regulation - we see "infinite", "unlimited" and "free" attached to a huge amount of modern products and services. It's ridiculous beyond laughter - a 5 year old could tell you there's something severely wrong with the law.

If the law prevented all CE companies from making such claims, Panasonic wouldn't need to either.

I stand corrected. I hold Panasonic marketing in Infinite Disregard 2.
Next year I will hold them in Infinite Disregard 3.

They made themselves ridiculous, without government help.

- Rich

Oppo Beta Group

Oppo BDP-105D | Oppo HA-1 | Oppo PM-1 | Parasound A51 | Revel Salon, Voice, Studio | Velodyne HGS-15
RichB is online now  
post #2145 of 3327 Old 03-14-2011, 06:23 PM
Newbie
 
hotelsierra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
"Yesterday in Australia Panasonic said that were delaying the launch of their new high end plasma TV's until August 2011."

But I can't post as a URL since I have not made 3 posts.

smarthouse.com.au - TVs_And_Large_Display - Industry - K2J7D5V6
hotelsierra is offline  
post #2146 of 3327 Old 03-14-2011, 06:40 PM
Member
 
drowningape's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Alameda, CA
Posts: 54
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotelsierra View Post

"Yesterday in Australia Panasonic said that were delaying the launch of their new high end plasma TV's until August 2011."

But I can't post as a URL since I have not made 3 posts.

smarthouse.com.au - TVs_And_Large_Display - Industry - K2J7D5V6

Good to know.

Compared to the devastation and loss of life in Japan, the inconvenience of having to wait an extra month or two for a TV seems totally trivial.
drowningape is online now  
post #2147 of 3327 Old 03-14-2011, 07:02 PM
Member
 
Invictcus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Massachusetts, USA
Posts: 27
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotelsierra View Post

"Yesterday in Australia Panasonic said that were delaying the launch of their new high end plasma TV's until August 2011."

But I can't post as a URL since I have not made 3 posts.

smarthouse.com.au - TVs_And_Large_Display - Industry - K2J7D5V6

Totally understandable. I have a 65 inch VT30 on pre-order with VE. It will be interesting to see what US retailers are told, but I'd be surprised if any different from the statement in that article.

I can't believe the absolute destruction leveled on those poor good people!!
Invictcus is offline  
post #2148 of 3327 Old 03-14-2011, 07:15 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
jmpage2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 10,053
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by drowningape View Post

Good to know.

Compared to the devastation and loss of life in Japan, the inconvenience of having to wait an extra month or two for a TV seems totally trivial.

Agreed.
jmpage2 is offline  
post #2149 of 3327 Old 03-14-2011, 07:53 PM
Senior Member
 
XciteMe83's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 233
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
We need to stop and realize these fancy TVs we salivate over are just toys really. NOT saying we shouldn't buy them and enjoy them... we should... but just realize in times like this, there are far more important and serious factors in our lives, such as the plight of an entire nation that is currently experiencing a natural disaster.

Invariably there will be the insensitive jerk on here who cries and moans about having to be "stuck" with a 2010 65" inch VT25 when he was planning on getting the VT30 this spring... While he reclines on a nice fat leather couch in the middle of a huge living room with a vaulted ceiling... This is when you stop, take a look at your comforts, and realize right now there's millions of people who's entire homes are now underwater.
XciteMe83 is offline  
post #2150 of 3327 Old 03-14-2011, 08:00 PM
Member
 
Nirran07's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 22
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:


an update on panasonic in the wake of this tragedy. only one factory was damaged.. a dsc factory had a wall collapse but can be repaired fairly fast. all pdp led etc factories are on the different side of where the quake hit and 100% functional. not expecting any delays for pdp/led

Was said on HDJ by avjunkie.
Nirran07 is offline  
post #2151 of 3327 Old 03-14-2011, 09:31 PM
Member
 
traind's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 42
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by grexeo View Post

Don't lose respect for Panasonic marketing just because they do their job and stay competitive.

The government are the ones to blame here. They should not allow any company to claim "infinite" unless it truly is. There is a severe lack of advertising regulation - we see "infinite", "unlimited" and "free" attached to a huge amount of modern products and services. It's ridiculous beyond laughter - a 5 year old could tell you there's something severely wrong with the law.

If the law prevented all CE companies from making such claims, Panasonic wouldn't need to either.

Do we really need government to protect us from TV marketing? If so, our TVs will soon double in price and slip in quality too....
traind is offline  
post #2152 of 3327 Old 03-14-2011, 09:33 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
jmpage2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 10,053
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 77
The thread title should add "no political talk" to the "no price talk" admonishment.
jmpage2 is offline  
post #2153 of 3327 Old 03-14-2011, 09:33 PM
Newbie
 
hotelsierra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmpage2 View Post

Agreed.

Yes that really puts things into perspective. I send compassion to the people of Japan.
hotelsierra is offline  
post #2154 of 3327 Old 03-14-2011, 09:35 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
jmpage2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 10,053
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotelsierra View Post

Yes that really puts things into perspective. I send compassion to the people of Japan.

Good on you. I sent them cash via Paypal and the Japanese branch of the American Red Cross. They are really hurting over there. Our TVs can wait.
jmpage2 is offline  
post #2155 of 3327 Old 03-15-2011, 03:36 AM
Member
 
grexeo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 73
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by traind View Post

Do we really need government to protect us from TV marketing? If so, our TVs will soon double in price and slip in quality too....

Yes, we do need regulation, and quality would improve, not slip. Manufacturers would have to produce "infinite black" before claiming it.

The wars between manufacturers would turn from "Who can get buzz words trademarked that falsely imply our displays can produce true black?" to "Who can manufacture displays that deliver true black?"

If Pioneer didn't have to compete with these false claims from other manufacturers, you can bet they would have received much more attention.
grexeo is offline  
post #2156 of 3327 Old 03-15-2011, 03:52 AM
 
Nobl3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 236
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by grexeo View Post

Yes, we do need regulation, and quality would improve, not slip. Manufacturers would have to produce "infinite black" before claiming it.

The wars between manufacturers would turn from "Who can get buzz words trademarked that falsely imply our displays can produce true black?" to "Who can manufacture displays that deliver true black?"

If Pioneer didn't have to compete with these false claims from other manufacturers, you can bet they would have received much more attention.

While I agree about the false marketing, government has no place in the free market. It only leads to very bad things.
Nobl3 is offline  
post #2157 of 3327 Old 03-15-2011, 04:07 AM
Senior Member
 
Prof.Who's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 204
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Could we stick to details on the sets and not whether the government should keep companies' marketing from making bull **** claims? Unless this conversation ends with a 55 inch VT30 in every home I doubt it is worth having.

These things never end well.
Prof.Who is offline  
post #2158 of 3327 Old 03-15-2011, 04:28 AM
 
Nobl3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 236
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Has anyone bought and posted pics of the ST30?
Nobl3 is offline  
post #2159 of 3327 Old 03-15-2011, 04:50 AM
AVS Special Member
 
RobbyTV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 1,233
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nobl3 View Post

Has anyone bought and posted pics of the ST30?



http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1319498
RobbyTV is offline  
post #2160 of 3327 Old 03-15-2011, 07:32 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
jmpage2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 10,053
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nirran07 View Post

Was said on HDJ by avjunkie.

He updated his post indicating that due to severe shortages of electricity in all of Japan there will almost definitely be delays.
jmpage2 is offline  
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off