AVS Forum banner

2011 Panasonic Plasma [NO PRICE TALK]

637K views 3K replies 510 participants last post by  Plasma to OLED owner 
#1 ·
Hello,

I was about to buy a TV but after reading the panasonic issue thread I abandoned my plans. I want blacks that equal or surpass those of the Pioneer G9 Kuros, together with all the other benefits, like 3D etc...

So, what about the 2011 Panasonic plasmas ? Is there any information about the new series or do I have to wait until IFA Berlin or even CES ?

A list of what we can expect, maybe:

better blacklevels (perfect black ? )

no blacklevel rise

10 Lumen technics (lighter, less power consumption)

3D also in small sizes

better 3D glases (the avaible ones are a joke )

1080p motion on all models

no more 720p plasmas

thinner design (Samsung just released a 1/3 " thin LCD TV...)

a more modern design

Fuga Pioneer on the high end models

even faster phosphor for the high end models

2D-3D Conversation

Does this sound realistic or utopistic ?

greetings

See less See more
#2 ·
I'm in the same boat as you -- I'm waiting to upgrade my DLP until next year's Panny plasmas come out. I am not aware of any details, but some with connections to Panny claim that Kuro technology (bought by Panny) will be fully implemented for the first time next year, so yes, it is not unreasonable to hope for Kuro blacks and no black level rise. Also, I believe off-brand 3D glasses will become increasingly available as alternative options to those from the manufacturers (which will drive prices down, and hopefully improve comfort). Personally, I could care less about the thinness (I won't be mounting it on a wall, and care more about PQ), and why would you care at all about whether 720p plasmas will still exist if you're going to buy a high-end 1080p 3D plasma anyway? And yes, I bet the 2011 Pannys will do 2D-to-3D conversion.

#4 ·
Hi,

Maybe I am being somewhat out of line but for quite some time & year after year, many have been waiting & convinced the the next year's Panasonic models will be revolutionary rather than evolutionary & with massive improvements over just minor ones but that never seems to be the case & I am not holding my breath for 2011 either although I would love to be proved wrong.

As for any Kuro tech that they may or may not have - if it costs them a single cent more than their bean counters will allow, my view is that they will exclude it or implement the very minimum they can according in order to keep down costs & maximise profits. That is how these big companies work for better or worse!

Bazzy!

#5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by LowellG /forum/post/18956200

I was in Best Buy yesterday and the guy was telling me the G20s already have some Kuro tech in them. Who knows what's true.

True, this year's plasmas supposedly incorporated SOME Kuro technolgy, but again, it should be fully implemented next year (which hopefully will eliminate the black level issues). Only time will tell.

#6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bazzy /forum/post/18956274

Hi,

Maybe I am being somewhat out of line but for quite some time & year after year, many have been waiting & convinced the the next year's Panasonic models will be revolutionary rather than evolutionary & with massive improvements over just minor ones but that never seems to be the case & I am not holding my breath for 2011 either although I would love to be proved wrong.

As for any Kuro tech that they may or may not have - if it costs them a single cent more than their bean counters will allow, my view is that they will exclude it or implement the very minimum they can according in order to keep down costs & maximise profits. That is how these big companies work for better or worse!

Bazzy!

Only time will tell. But they paid a pretty penny for the technology, so they must be interested in implementing it. Since Kuro is widely considered the best plasma out there, IMO it is worth waiting to see what they will do with it. If you need a plasma now, then yes, the VT25 displays are excellent. But if you can wait till next year (as I can since I already have an HDTV), that makes sense for many of us. IMO, 2nd generation 3D may be better anyway (I always wait for at least 2nd generation of any new technology so they can get any kinks out and drop the premium pricing of 1st generation), and next year's Panny plasmas should be at least incrementally better than this year, with at least some potential to be much better.

#7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillP /forum/post/18956319

Only time will tell. But they paid a pretty penny for the technology, so they must be interested in implementing it. Since Kuro is widely considered the best plasma out there, IMO it is worth waiting to see what they will do with it. If you need a plasma now, then yes, the VT25 displays are excellent. But if you can wait till next year (as I can since I already have an HDTV), that makes sense for many of us. IMO, 2nd generation 3D may be better anyway (I always wait for at least 2nd generation of any new technology so they can get any kinks out and drop the premium pricing of 1st generation), and next year's Panny plasmas should be at least incrementally better than this year, with at least some potential to be much better.

I agree. IMO their top of the line models will have either all the Kuro tech implemented or close to all. While their lower level models will still be affordable to the masses with minor improvements from the Kuro tech.

#8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by LowellG /forum/post/18956200

I was in Best Buy yesterday and the guy was telling me the G20s already have some Kuro tech in them. Who knows what's true.

It is true somewhat. The S/G/VT series have deep encased cell structure like the Kuros did.

For next year, I think the VT (and ZT?) series will have performance around around 9G level or better. The rest of the models should be more of the same as this year, just cheaper and lighter.

#9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillP /forum/post/18956319

Hi,

Fully agree with what you say - I wish & hope Panasonic takes serious note and actually do deliver next year on what we all want & believe they are now capable of - if they can can adapt their traditional business model, the bean counters are not given too much reign and they apply as much of the Kuro tech that they possibly can - along of course with any of their equivalent & complimentary developments & tech! I just fear that being so "Old School" as they are in their approach, they will only implement the very minimum Kuro tech that they can along the product lines so as to meet budgets, keep competitive advantage against other brands & be able to maintain plenty of tech in reserve for the ranges in subsequent years. So I agree with you but have concerns as to whether it will actually happen to the extent many expect due to the philosophy that Panasonic practices with regards their products!

Bazzy!

#10 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillP /forum/post/18955986

I'm in the same boat as you -- I'm waiting to upgrade my DLP until next year's Panny plasmas come out. I am not aware of any details, but some with connections to Panny claim that Kuro technology (bought by Panny) will be fully implemented for the first time next year, so yes, it is not unreasonable to hope for Kuro blacks and no black level rise. Also, I believe off-brand 3D glasses will become increasingly available as alternative options to those from the manufacturers (which will drive prices down, and hopefully improve comfort). Personally, I could care less about the thinness (I won't be mounting it on a wall, and care more about PQ), and why would you care at all about whether 720p plasmas will still exist if you're going to buy a high-end 1080p 3D plasma anyway? And yes, I bet the 2011 Pannys will do 2D-to-3D conversion.

Gee, wonder how I missed that?

Please post a link to these posts from people with connections to Panasonic who claim that Kuro tech will be fully implemented in 2011.

Thanks In Advance

Actually, I would expect that anyone at Panasonic who had that much information to be silenced by a Non Disclosure Agreement.

#11 ·
hopefully Panasonic will deal with its power supply board issues as well. Our Panasonic failed shortly after warranty. Looking into the issue it appears that the problem started with models in 2007 and still persists through the 2009 models. Pretty crummy to spend up to $3k on a product that lasts 18 months and costs $600 to fix for what might not even be another 18 months.

Sorry but I'm just a bit bitter about the failure of what is probably a subcontractors low bid on a component board.

#12 ·
This is the thing, if I wait until next year, I could get a Panasonic...

Is it too much to hope for that the 2011 Pannys will have a working 24p mode, like 72Hz or whatever? Like say, 24p in a G20/25 model equivalent or whatever they name their lineup.

I want:

-Proper 24p that actually works - 72Hz or whatever

-No black level rising, or floating blacks

Those 3 things are whats stopping me from buying a Panasonic this year.

But then again Panasonic plasmas are ridiculously expensive here in Canada.

#13 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye101 /forum/post/18957106

This is the thing, if I wait until next year, I could get a Panasonic...

Is it too much to hope for that the 2011 Pannys will have a working 24p mode, like 72Hz or whatever? Like say, 24p in a G20/25 model equivalent or whatever they name their lineup.

I want:

-Proper 24p that actually works - 72Hz or whatever

-No black level rising, or floating blacks

Those 3 things are whats stopping me from buying a Panasonic this year.

But then again Panasonic plasmas are ridiculously expensive here in Canada.

Whats wrong with the 96HZ on the VT25 series?

#15 ·
Just a thought, but I know plenty of people who continue to wait for "next year's new and improved" models..... and they've been waiting like that for years now.

I see the same thing over on DPR, a camera forum I frequent. There are folks there who keep waiting for the perfect small, inexpensive, high quality digital camera to be released, while the rest of us happily enjoy our imperfect but wonderfully useful cameras day in and day out.

I understand your concern over the issues that have been raised with this year's crop of TVs. I had those same concerns and almost didn't buy a new TV exactly because of the purported rising black levels and "floating blacks". However, I finally decided to take the plunge, figuring I could always return the set if I found I really couldn't live with these issues.

Maybe it's because this is my first big screen TV, but I've been completely happy with my 46" G25. The picture is stunning and I've never seen any sign of floating blacks..... and believe me I've looked and looked and looked. Not to say I don't think other folks see them, I'm just saying I can't see them, so I've come to the conclusion that it's something that some folks are much more sensitive to than others, and I'm fortunate to be one of those that isn't bothered by it.

In any case, after 2 months I'm still giddy every time I turn it on and actually find it hard to turn off at night because I'm so amazed at the beauty of the images it brings into my room.

So, yes...... you can wait for the 2011 models to come out. And then you can wait for the reviews. And of course no matter how good the TVs are, the thing we do best of these forums is to discover what ever imperfections there might be and then debate endlessly about their impact on real world viewing, at which point it will be about July of 2011 and you will begin to wonder if maybe it's worth waiting for the 2012 models, because surely they will be much better.

Just a thought

#16 ·
Derek all your points are valid. In my case I already have an HDTV. I was all set to buy a V series 54" last year til the rising black level reared its head. In my case I wait until the new models are discounted to what I think will be their lowest price point. So I put it off a year and when this years models came out I read some posts from, IIRC, D-Nice that inferred Kuro tech will be implemented next year. As I have absolutely no interest in 3-D I decided to just keep following Panasonic and see what comes next year. I will not pay over 2K for a 50" Pioneer that has great blacks, awesome pic, but limited availability of parts. Thats if you can find one. Even if the Kuro tech is not fully implemented next year I am 99% sure I will just get their top of the line 54" and call it a day. When that happens I can guarantee you I will not be coming to this section of AVS obsessing over ever minor picture flaw people find.

#17 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Im2sexy /forum/post/18957414

Derek all your points are valid. In my case I already have an HDTV. I was all set to buy a V series 54" last year til the rising black level reared its head. In my case I wait until the new models are discounted to what I think will be their lowest price point. So I put it off a year and when this years models came out I read some posts from, IIRC, D-Nice that inferred Kuro tech will be implemented next year. As I have absolutely no interest in 3-D I decided to just keep following Panasonic and see what comes next year. I will not pay over 2K for a 50" Pioneer that has great blacks, awesome pic, but limited availability of parts. Thats if you can find one. Even if the Kuro tech is not fully implemented next year I am 99% sure I will just get their top of the line 54" and call it a day. When that happens I can guarantee you I will not be coming to this section of AVS obsessing over ever minor picture flaw people find.

In your case I'm inclined to agree with you, since you already have an HDTV it might not be a bad idea to wait and see what improvements are around the bend.

And don't get me wrong, I believe we perform a very valuable function with our discussions about what's right and wrong with the new sets, it's just that I see a lot of first timers overwhelmed by the sheer volume of information presented here on AVS who struggle with wading through what's important and what's not, and I think it serves a purpose to point out that while this year's models may not be perfect, I wouldn't let our discussions scare them off from trying one out for themselves.

If I had it to over, I would buy exactly the same set ... except I might opt for the 50" instead of the 46", or now that you mention it ... maybe even a 54"

#18 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyboy /forum/post/18956886

Gee, wonder how I missed that?

Please post a link to these posts from people with connections to Panasonic who claim that Kuro tech will be fully implemented in 2011.

Thanks In Advance

Actually, I would expect that anyone at Panasonic who had that much information to be silenced by a Non Disclosure Agreement.

Just search D-Nice (a frequent poster in the forum). He said something along those lines a few months ago.

#19 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Dean /forum/post/18957585

In your case I'm inclined to agree with you, since you already have an HDTV it might not be a bad idea to wait and see what improvements are around the bend.

And don't get me wrong, I believe we perform a very valuable function with our discussions about what's right and wrong with the new sets, it's just that I see a lot of first timers overwhelmed by the sheer volume of information presented here on AVS who struggle with wading through what's important and what's not, and I think it serves a purpose to point out that while this year's models may not be perfect, I wouldn't let our discussions scare them off from trying one out for themselves.

If I had it to over, I would buy exactly the same set ... except I might opt for the 50" instead of the 46", or now that you mention it ... maybe even a 54"

Derek, I have been around here for 5 years now (old screen name was banned
) and I was in paralysis for 1 year researching and reading trying to make a decision LOL. I hate AVS!!!!!! But seriously 99% or more of those buying a TV will not notice any of the PQ issues that people here on AVS complain about. Panny has floating blacks, Sammys have buzzing, LG's have bad IR, and both Sammy and LG's black levels arent as good as Pannys. Plus I've heard bad things about all 3's customer service. What I am hoping for in 2011 is that Panny proves that they just didnt buy up the Pio tech so that Samsung and LG or whoever else didnt get it. Pio was always way to expensive (I'm talking benefit to cost ratio) and calling their line "Elite", IMO, didnt help. Panny IMO has always been geared to quality for the everyman, Know what I mean?

#22 ·
Amidst all the speculation here, there's been some pretty reliable sources (DNice, amongst others) who have been quite insistent that the 2011 Panny plasmas will not equal the 9G Pioneer Kuros in black levels. Obviously they'll have other features - like 3D - that the Kuros don't, but overall it seems that 2011 will not be the "break even" year.

#23 ·
I'm not gonna hold my breath waiting for Panasonic to use the Pio tech (if they ever). No one knows if they will and I can't understand why it would take this long to implement it. I mean what's so special about 2011, 12, etc... Can someone please tell me why and don't use the down economy because the VT does not qualify as a doorbuster.

#24 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by CedYou /forum/post/18958293

I'm not gonna hold my breath waiting for Panasonic to use the Pio tech (if they ever). No one knows if they will and I can't understand why it would take this long to implement it. I mean what's so special about 2011, 12, etc... Can someone please tell me why and don't use the down economy because the VT does not qualify as a doorbuster.

Owning the tech is only half of the equation - the other half is manufacturing it at a reasonable cost. Look at OLED - it's a proven tech and OLED displays are commercially available, but they are prohibitively expensive because their manufacturing cost is so high. Panasonic may simply be trying to figure out how to implement all of the stuff they bought from Pioneer without manufacturing costs going up significantly from what they are now. They may figure that out tomorrow, they may figure it out a couple years from now. Who knows.

#25 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by CedYou /forum/post/18958293

It's not fully implemented in the current models because it was too late in the development stage for the 2010 models to do so when they purchased Kuro technology.

#26 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by david437 /forum/post/18955120

Hello,

I was about to buy a TV but after reading the panasonic issue thread I abandoned my plans. I want blacks that equal or surpass those of the Pioneer G9 Kuros, together with all the other benefits, like 3D etc...

So, what about the 2011 Panasonic plasmas ? Is there any information about the new series or do I have to wait until IFA Berlin or even CES ?

A list of what we can expect, maybe:

better blacklevels (perfect black ? )

no blacklevel rise

10 Lumen technics (lighter, less power consumption)

3D also in small sizes

better 3D glases (the avaible ones are a joke )

1080p motion on all models

no more 720p plasmas

thinner design (Samsung just released a 1/3 " thin LCD TV...)

a more modern design

Fuga Pioneer on the high end models

even faster phosphor for the high end models

2D-3D Conversation

Does this sound realistic or utopistic ?

greetings

Will the VT25 be upgradable for 2d 3d conversion

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.