VT25 Plasma Question - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 17 Old 07-26-2010, 08:14 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Ok, so i've browsed this forum for the past coulpe months and am now ready to pull the trigger on a 65 inch VT25. This is my first plasma but I have a couple questions. I do a lot of gaming but have heard image rention and burn in are things of the past. Is there anything I can do beside run break in slides to help prevent these? I watch a lot of TNT, FX, and ESPN. Will the static images on these stations cause image retention or burn in?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 07-26-2010, 09:51 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I don't use my 58VT25 for gaming, but I've had it for a month now and had no IR. I didn't do anything special for break in.
post #3 of 17 Old 07-26-2010, 01:37 PM
Advanced Member

IR is definitely not a thing of the past. I guess one could say burn-in is as it can be a while before IR can be declared permanent. I babied my VT25 and even after a month's use and conservative gameplay I got some nasty IR from Demon's Souls. You will want to use caution when gaming on a new plasma. Keep gaming sessions brief and follow it up with plenty of non-static full screen content. Playing for a couple hours turning off the TV and gaming again on next use won't cut it, display of non-gaming content in between is almost required.

Doesn't hurt to be cautious. Nothing sucks more than seeing remnants of a HUD or status/health bar show up when your are watching a movie or something and have it not wash away in a timely manner.
post #4 of 17 Old 07-26-2010, 01:40 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dayton View Post

IR is definitely not a thing of the past. I guess one could say burn-in is as it can be a while before IR can be declared permanent. I babied my VT25 and even after a month's use and conservative gameplay I got some nasty IR from Demon's Souls. You will want to use caution when gaming on a new plasma. Keep gaming sessions brief and follow it up with plenty of non-static full screen content. Playing for a couple hours turning off the TV and gaming again on next use won't cut it, display of non-gaming content in between is almost required.

Doesn't hurt to be cautious. Nothing sucks more than seeing remnants of a HUD or status/health bar show up when your are watching a movie or something and have it not wash away in a timely manner.

Did you get your IR removed yet?
post #5 of 17 Old 07-26-2010, 01:53 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandaroy View Post

Did you get your IR removed yet?

Not entirely but it does require that I put up a grey slide and walk up close to the panel to see it. Remnants of the right status icon, looks like an eye at 90 degrees, still exist. I think the glowing effect when in soul form was the culprit.

Haven't gamed in a little over a week but plan on starting in on FFXIII tomorrow. Can't imagine when I'll ever have the courage to play Demon's Souls ever again on my VT25.
post #6 of 17 Old 07-26-2010, 02:13 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Not entirely but it does require that I put up a grey slide and walk up close to the panel to see it. Remnants of the right status icon, looks like an eye at 90 degrees, still exist. I think the glowing effect when in soul form was the culprit.

Haven't gamed in a little over a week but plan on starting in on FFXIII tomorrow. Can't imagine when I'll ever have the courage to play Demon's Souls ever again on my VT25.

Can you see it at all from your sitting position during regular material?
post #7 of 17 Old 07-26-2010, 02:18 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandaroy View Post

Can you see it at all from your sitting position during regular material?

Nope not at all. I can only see it now when running slides, the greyish ones, and when standing near the screen.
post #8 of 17 Old 07-26-2010, 02:31 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Nope not at all. I can only see it now when running slides, the greyish ones, and when standing near the screen.

I guess you are good then. Hopefully it will go away with time.
post #9 of 17 Old 07-28-2010, 08:30 AM
Advanced Member

Started in on FFX III and boy this is a good game for a plasma in that there isn't really ever a time when static images could pose a problem. Bayonetta was also good in not having the status bars in constant display. Actually Bayonetta is a better plasma game as you also get the benefit of no input lag which really helps the gameplay. Someone should compile a list of IR friendly games.
post #10 of 17 Old 07-28-2010, 08:40 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Quote:

Someone should compile a list of IR friendly games.

+1
Agreed,
I haven't come across many. RedDeadRedemtion isn't too bad.
post #11 of 17 Old 07-28-2010, 08:45 AM
Advanced Member

wipoutHD, battlefield1943, for ps3, are good! I haven't had any IR. I own an Lg pj350.
post #12 of 17 Old 07-29-2010, 02:09 PM

Quote:

Started in on FFX III and boy this is a good game for a plasma in that there isn't really ever a time when static images could pose a problem. Bayonetta was also good in not having the status bars in constant display. Actually Bayonetta is a better plasma game as you also get the benefit of no input lag which really helps the gameplay. Someone should compile a list of IR friendly games.

+1 Here as well.

I'm currently dealing with some nasty IR from Fallout 3 on my 50VT25. I played about 4 hours straight which was probably about 3 hours too long. My settings have stayed pretty conservative for the first month and a half of owning the set so that wasn't the issue. Apparently, bright neon green is not good for a plasma no matter what the settings are. The HP/AP bars are fading....just at a very slow rate. I read there is a setting for the HUD in the Fallout menu where you can turn brightness down. Oh well, lesson learned.
post #13 of 17 Old 07-29-2010, 03:09 PM
Advanced Member

I wonder if it would be easier to come up with a list of "friendly" or "cautionary" games.
post #14 of 17 Old 07-29-2010, 09:51 PM
Advanced Member

Can't hurt to play games with the orbiter enabled, even if it does decrease the sharpness of the picture somewhat.
post #15 of 17 Old 07-30-2010, 07:46 AM
Advanced Member

let me ask when i run my scrolling bars on the white part on the right side i see pixels is this normal
post #16 of 17 Old 07-30-2010, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonW747 View Post

Can't hurt to play games with the orbiter enabled, even if it does decrease the sharpness of the picture somewhat.

I was under the assumption that the pixel orbiter only waited for static images (e.g. computer desktops, pause screens, etc.) to go to work. When gaming, static HUD's are usually mixed with moving images everywhere else on the screen, so there should be no reason for orbiter to engage. Can anyone confirm this?
post #17 of 17 Old 07-30-2010, 08:35 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViciousToaster View Post

I was under the assumption that the pixel orbiter only waited for static images (e.g. computer desktops, pause screens, etc.) to go to work. When gaming, static HUD's are usually mixed with moving images everywhere else on the screen, so there should be no reason for orbiter to engage. Can anyone confirm this?

You can make the orbiter timed so it will always happen independent of content displayed. However it looks like it will not stop IR due to gaming as it will just make the IR appear blurry or smeared. Stat bars and the like are usually too big for a slight image shift to make much of a difference. However it could help in making it go away faster though I haven't tested this myself.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page