Screen Failure Panasonic TH-42PX60U Help! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 24 Old 08-05-2010, 09:56 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So the photos below & attached show what happened to my TH-42PX60U just out of the blue about a week ago. While the TV was on, half of the screen just disappeared. 1/4 of it is all white, 1/4 of it is black with one multicolored line, the other 1/2 of the screen is fine. It's about 3 years old (S/N MD62830490) and was wall mounted before the problem occurred.

I don't think the problem was caused by watching "Life According to Jim", but that may have something to do with it....

I searched around but didn't find any info on this specific problem. I am willing to fix it myself if someone can point me in the right direction, and if it's a simple board swap or something liek that. Or if someone knows of a reasonable, reliable repair shop in Chicago I'd appreciate that as well. I'm located in the South Loop.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Stanley
LL
LL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 Old 08-06-2010, 08:57 AM - Thread Starter

Just wanted to add some more info. This is definitely a problem with the set and not the component - I tried all inputs (my PC, DVD, cable) and the situation is the same with all of them.

If anyone has seen this failure before please let me know. I just want to know if I can get it fixed for a reasonable price or if it's time to go TV shopping....

Thanks....
post #3 of 24 Old 08-11-2010, 09:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 22
When you press the menu button on the remote to get the OSD (On Screen Display), what do you see? Another picture with the OSD would be a big help.

Your answer will help in determining if it is a board problem, or the plasma display itself.

That which may be known of God is evident within man, for God has shown it to them, so that they are without excuse. (Romans 1:19-20)
post #4 of 24 Old 08-11-2010, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkelecava View Post

This has happened to me. Panasonic is junk!

Must be samsung employee.
post #5 of 24 Old 08-11-2010, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scvcs76 View Post

So the photos below & attached show what happened to my TH-42PX60U just out of the blue about a week ago. While the TV was on, half of the screen just disappeared. 1/4 of it is all white, 1/4 of it is black with one multicolored line, the other 1/2 of the screen is fine. It's about 3 years old (S/N MD62830490) and was wall mounted before the problem occurred.

I don't think the problem was caused by watching "Life According to Jim", but that may have something to do with it....

I searched around but didn't find any info on this specific problem. I am willing to fix it myself if someone can point me in the right direction, and if it's a simple board swap or something liek that. Or if someone knows of a reasonable, reliable repair shop in Chicago I'd appreciate that as well. I'm located in the South Loop.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Stanley

Looks like you have 1 of two problem. I am sure your panel is ok. You could have a bad c board. That is the board on the bottom of your set. Or possible a bad d board. That is the board with all the flat cables that go to the c boards. First disconnect and reconnect all the flat cables that run to the bottom of the set. If this does not fix your problem, then replace your c board that is in the area of the problem.
post #6 of 24 Old 08-11-2010, 05:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 150
Just to help out a bit, here is the board location information.

Larry
LL
LL
LL
post #7 of 24 Old 08-11-2010, 05:56 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I also have the service manual for this tv, so let me know if you need help.
post #8 of 24 Old 08-11-2010, 07:35 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the help everyone.

First - there is no on screen display when I hit menu - since it is on the left side of the screen and that's the side that isn't working. I forget which other menu I got to somehow, but I could only see the right side of it (the good side of the screen)

Thanks for the tips on the boards as well. Where is the best place to purchase these? I looked on Ebay and found a few C and more D boards, around $30 for C boards and up to $100 for the D board. Does that sound about right? Are there other outlets?

Also, if it's the left side of the screen that is the problem, does that mean it would be C2 as shown in Larry's diagram? I'm assuming the diagram is drawn as if you are looking at the back of the screen.

BWDinc - stay tuned I might have some questions for you once I dig into the set - probably this weekend.

Thanks again.
post #9 of 24 Old 08-23-2010, 10:00 AM - Thread Starter

Quick Update - I replaced both C boards yesterday. The first one (C2 - on the side that had the problem) did not change the on-screen output at all - the problem looked exactly the same. I then replaced the C1 board as well (since I had both on hand) and must have had a bad one because that made the right side of the screen go bad as well.

So I ordered a D board today, I'll be installing that and the putting back the old C1 board this weekend. Hopefully that does it.

Thanks again for the help everyone.
post #10 of 24 Old 08-25-2010, 09:17 PM - Thread Starter

Changed the D-board, didn't fix the problem at all. Any suggestions? LED's are on on both the SC and SS boards.

I'm thinking it must be the panel at this point, based on a quick look through the service manual.

Any further expertise would be appreciated!
post #11 of 24 Old 08-26-2010, 07:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Changed the D-board, didn't fix the problem at all ... I'm thinking it must be the panel at this point, based on a quick look through the service manual.

Sorry that the replacement boards did not solve the problem. When the whole half of the plasma screen goes dark, it usually is narrowed down to the C-board or D-board which feeds it. Bad plasmas usually show lines or dark blocks.

In looking at Panasonic's Plasma Symptoms, your particular situation does not seem to be displayed.

Obviously someone with more experience needs to help here.

That which may be known of God is evident within man, for God has shown it to them, so that they are without excuse. (Romans 1:19-20)
post #12 of 24 Old 08-26-2010, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWDinc View Post

I also have the service manual for this tv, so let me know if you need help.

Not to hijack the thread, but I recently got the 5 blinks on my TH-42PX60U, which indicates a faulty D Board. I ordered the D Board off ebay and now i'm hoping to get more detail on how to replace it. Is it as easy screwing off the back and unplugging the current one? Any help is appreciated!
post #13 of 24 Old 08-26-2010, 03:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyi106 View Post

Not to hijack the thread, but I recently got the 5 blinks on my TH-42PX60U, which indicates a faulty D Board. I ordered the D Board off ebay and now i'm hoping to get more detail on how to replace it. Is it as easy screwing off the back and unplugging the current one? Any help is appreciated!

Look up ^^^ 5 or 6 posts.

EDIT: I've attached some more detail.

Larry
LL
LL
post #14 of 24 Old 08-26-2010, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryInRI View Post

Look up ^^^ 5 or 6 posts.

EDIT: I've attached some more detail.

Larry

You are awesome, that's exactly what i was look for. Thanks!
post #15 of 24 Old 09-02-2010, 12:52 PM

I am having the same problem with mine, just 2 thick black lines on the left side of the screen...replaced the c2 board today and didn't change anything. Did you end up figuring it out, or give up?
post #16 of 24 Old 09-02-2010, 07:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xcel8byu View Post

I am having the same problem with mine, just 2 thick black lines on the left side of the screen...replaced the c2 board today and didn't change anything.

The following is from a Panasonic technical guide.

post #17 of 24 Old 09-18-2010, 03:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

So the photos below & attached show what happened to my TH-42PX60U just out of the blue about a week ago. While the TV was on, half of the screen just disappeared.

Quick Update - I replaced both C boards yesterday. The first one (C2 - on the side that had the problem) did not change the on-screen output at all - the problem looked exactly the same. I then replaced the C1 board as well (since I had both on hand) and must have had a bad one because that made the right side of the screen go bad as well.

I just wanted to mention that a similar problem was resolved by a C board replacement. I wonder if you had received a bad C2 board?

Also, according to this Panasonic document, a plasma display panel fault is not shown to involve the whole half of a screen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lang View Post

C1 is in the right spot, but I don't know if that means anything...

Well the C1 board seems to have done it. I had to do a bunch if dis-assembly just to get to it and wasn't even sure I'd get it all back together. Technically, I didn't since I have a few screws left over from the 60-70 I had to remove.

The tech wanted $500 just to replace the A-Board & that didn't do it. I imagine he would have charged even more to move on to the C1.

Doing it myself, the C1 cost $15 & the A-Board cost about $20 in shipping/restocking fees to rule out.

post #18 of 24 Old 01-01-2011, 07:48 PM

My 3 years old Plasma has a thin line on the screen. The line was in the middle of the screen but it moved to the right after reset display settings. Called Panasonic, the person just gave me the number of a near service center that recommended me not to repair the TV since the problem is the panel. In other words, no support from Panasonic . Does anybody know how I can fix this problem??
post #19 of 24 Old 10-22-2011, 11:16 PM

i have the same brand and model and i have
half screen working also

maybe is the C2 board?

thanks for any info!
post #20 of 24 Old 01-01-2013, 01:50 PM

Working on a TH-42PX60U. Half of the screen is not functioning with what looks like 2 blocks completely white and the rest of the half of the screen completely black. There is a thin red line down the exact center of the screen. Replaced the C1 board already. Thinking I need the D board, but want some opinions before moving forward with that.
post #21 of 24 Old 02-23-2013, 09:26 AM

Thanks guys,

You helped me fix my problem which was that the entire right side of the display was blank, left side was blurry and had various vertical lines. The fix was resetting all of the connectors around the D board. The ribbon connectors I found to be picky. Cost ZERO. Time 1 1/2 hours. Savings: Unknown. haha, family was impressed.

Medeno
post #22 of 24 Old 03-27-2013, 05:13 PM

Silly question but does this happen to all Panasonic models ?

I have a TH-37PX60B with the right side of the screen 1/2 black (with a vertical line), 1/2 white
(exactly same as wireman121)

Following the advice on this page I have taken it apart.
Just for those who have not :
  • a powered screwdriver was essential as way too many screws
  • the ribbon cables are clamped by a different coloured plastic clamp.
  • stand support needs removal to remove C1/C2 boards,

I have tried re-seating all the C1 and SD ribbon cables and there was no change to the screen.
Is the best option is to buy a C1 board and give that a try ?
post #23 of 24 Old 07-21-2013, 03:39 AM

Hi All,

Does anyone have a download link for the service manual for one of these.

I'm picking one up later today that I've been given as a non-worker and I'd like to have a crack at getting it up and running.

I've no idea yet what the symptoms are, but expect help requests soon :-)

Thanks everyone in advance.

Pete
post #24 of 24 Old 07-21-2013, 04:30 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked: 124
If you need a service manual PM me, I'll get you one. I don't release them publicly here as Panasonic patrol these forums and don't like service manuals being released.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page